• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2001 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1218 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Great vehicle for work and everyday driving

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Convenience, reliability, comfortability"

Cons: "None to speak of"

"I have owned this truck for about 4 1/2 years. When I bought the truck it was used with 55000 miles on it and it now has 326000 miles on it. I use it for work everyday and it has come through with flying colors. I consistently drive about 200 plus miles a day and never worry about whether or not I am going to make it home at the end of the day. The only problem I had out of the vehicle was the water pump went out on it and that has been it. With the amount of driving that I have done I have no complaints. The next truck that I will get will be a Tundra. I was a huge Toyota fan before the this truck and now refuse to drive anything else."

2000 Tundra 4X2 Limited V-8

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Purchased/ordered truck new in June 2000. Most quiet/smoothest V-8 in truck market, 20 mpg on highway. Front and Back brakes had to be reengineered three(3) times by Toyota, no recalls for this safety issue. All brakes were replaced after fighting with Toyota for five(5) years and 80,000 miles. Also, a vibration problem and stopping problem on medium to hard braking. Transmission slips/shifts hard on the downshift when new and still continues with 112,000 miles. Radio antennae was replaced and still is loose. Had to have AC recharged August 2007, blows 52 degrees out of vent when 95 degrees outside, could be colder. Front end drifts when steering on occasion, could be ball joint recall problem. Rear leaf springs rattle on occassion, might upgrade to Bilstein shocks."

great vehicle, great value, works hard.

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "Durable, costs very little to operate."

Cons: "Nothing flashy, but it's a great work horse."

"My employees have abused this truck and it just keeps on running. The body is beat, because we plow snow with it the front shocks, struts and ball joints are beat, but it won't quit. I've decided to retire it and fix it up. I'll probably run it another 100,000 miles."

solid and reliable- great all around truck

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pros: "mpg (for a 4x4), tow cap, ease of use, reliable"

Cons: "a bit under horse powered"

"I bought this truck certified pre-owned with 34k miles and have not been disappointed. I needed a light duty multiuse truck and that is what I have. There is enough towing capacity(6500 lbs) to haul my boat, enough space in the back seat to fit three car seats, good enough fuel economy to get 16-17 in town and push 20 mpg on the highway, and nimble enough for my wife to feel comfortable driving it. I live in Alaska and it handles snow and ice, muddy roads and boat launches with ease. I've only changed the oil, greased, and changed the air filter. The 60k maintanence at the dealership revealed nothing wrong. In fact, the dealership has offered to buy it back from me twice because they are in high demand. If you don't need diesel pulling power, and don't want to deal with fixing things on your truck all the time, then this is the truck for you."

Dependable, Absolutely no issues, Smooth ride

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

"Best vehicle I have ever owned. The engine has good power, ride is quiet, and very responsive. The inside design is very basic but everything works and the seats are very comfortable including the back seats. I have no issues with this vehicle besides a dead battery."

Best Truck and Vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great off-road and in the snow."

"With 127,000 miles on this truck I have spent nothing on repairs - just maintenance. Runs like the day I bought it new. If Toyota had not ruined the design I would happily buy another one. Since they have ruined the design I will just keep this one forever and I am pretty confident it will last that long!"

2005 Tundra May Have Saved My Life

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Well built, few problems."

Cons: "Cruise control needs better placement"

"I had a collision at 55 mph with a commercial bobtail truck that rammed the left passenger door of my double-cab Tundra. My truck was thrown about 100', but I was able to walk away. Luck? Maybe, but I give credit to the structural integrity of the Tundra. I loved that truck and plan to buy another!"

Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Pros: "very reliable, great performance"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I have the 4.7 V8, access cab, 2 w/d with limited slip differential. The only engine cost other then oil and filter changes was oxiginator replacement. With 152k miles, it is still a very reliable truck - I had used the truck for several years for business that required to tow a trailer and off road driving. I was only stuck one time in mush in a customers back yard - great for towing, great performance, good ride, and the main thing - it has always been reliable and still is."

Wish i could buy another

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "A luxury car inside the cab of a truck"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is the 4th toyota pickup and first full size I have ever owned. I have the 4 door top of the line limited edition. The extra cost was worth the extra pleasures. The truck has been fantastic and i would buy another BUT Toyota no longer makes its top of line 4 door pickup with a six foot cargo area. To get six feet you have to downgrade to the suicide door 4 door model. All you can get is 5 feet now which is a definite drag. Also, this truck is a luxury passenger car inside whereas the new trucks are more commercial style inside. The only negative is gas mileage which is 14 miles a gal no matter what you do to try and better it. While i keep it maintained well, it has never been in the shop for a repair. If you can live with the 14 miles per gal, then buy this truck."

Bulletproof

By on Saturday, April 03, 2010

"We have had this truck just over three years, I just did the front brakes at 167K and that's all I have done other than oil changes and rubber. Reliable and excellent cab in that it is quieter still than my friends with Chevy's that have under 40K on them. Plenty of power and I haven't met anything that I wanted to tow and couldn't. Only problem was it took a long time to find one used, that is usually a pretty good indicator of what you are getting, however we still drove five or six used ones and picked from that bunch."

GREAT!

By on Friday, October 30, 2009

"What i've found with my 2006 Toyota, is that it is by far one of thee most comfortable pickups i've ever driven! The 4.7 Liter V-8 is powerful and I can pull whatever I hook up too. The interior is very stylish"mainly because I chose the Limited Trim." Even the SR5 Trim package is very nice. Having the Double Cab is great. Finding room for people is NO problem. The ride of this pickup is outstanding. The suspension that Toyota offers in all of their Trucks dating back to the T-100 is outstanding. The Power rear window is a great feature for hauling and just for enjoying some fresh air. I have absolutely no complaints about any of the power features. I do wish Toyota would have offered the easy open tailgates in this year. It is a great truck for hauling, and it is an outstanding all around pickup truck. I recommend the 2006 Tundra to anyone looking for a serious truck that will be easy on gas, while keeping all your power. The Dual Overhead Cam set up is great for towing because of the RPM advantage. So what can I say, I give it 10 out of 10 stars!!! Thank you Toyota for this amazing truck! I hope my review was helpful to anyone."

Tundra excellance

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Owned this Tundra for 5 years and it is without exception the best vehicle without a doubt I have ever owned. Comfort, reliability, good performance and value. No real problems i can remember to think of, it has never been back to the garage for anything but regular service. I extimate this truck will easly hit 250K miles before it is replaced. The 4.7 liter engine gets 17 mpg around town 19 on the highway at 65mph. 10+ mpg pulling a 6500lb travel trailer at 60mph. I included mpg info because I think it will help folks to know it. I do drive lightly on the gas pedel so others may not do as well."

Disappointed

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"Purchased new in 2000. It now has 148,000 miles. At 60,000 miles both exhaust manifolds cracked. Not covered under warranty. $2000 to fix and I was told it may happen again. Rear brake drums warped, not covered under warranty. $300 to replace. Warped again, replaced with Auto value drums- problem solved, Gas gage failed $500 to replace. Bilstein shocks failed. Replaced with Auto value shocks still good at 148,000 miles. Starter needed to be replaced at 100,000 miles. No complaint, that is a lot of starts. But it cost $765 to replace and took 7 1/2 hours. No repair shop dared to do the job. Had to have dealer replace it. Because of an unforseen relocation, after I purchased the truck, it has not had to haul nor tow anything. I am sure not hard on it as far as driving it. I am disappointed with the type of failures it has had. I bought a Toyota expecting the quality to be better. The engine has run very well-it still uses no oil, the truck drives very well. Perhaps I just got one that is not typical. Ignore the styling rating, it is the absolute last thing I care about a vehicle."

Best vehicle (including cars) ever.

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Solid, comfy, reliable, powerful, dependable."

Cons: "Brakes shudder. Suicide doors awkward."

"I have been the sole owner of this vehicle; it was purchased brand new. The ride is that of a luxury car (my 80-year old mother says it's the most comfortable vehicle in which she has ever ridden). The interior is quiet and spacious. The suspension is rock-solid--despite having driven it off road, I've only had to have one wheel alignment in 14 years. It drives like a luxury car as well. The engine is solid and provides great torque for passing and towing, but it's not the worst gas mileage: 19 hwy and 11 city. It has never broken down on me, but of course I take great care of it like the jewel it is. I've only had to put oil, brakes, and tires on it. It has never leaked a drop of fluid. For preventive maintenance, I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 100K miles. I've only had two issues with it. The first and only significant one is that there is something wrong with the brake design. I'm told it's due to having put rotors on the vehicle which are too small for the truck; after a while the rotors warp due to excessive heat and the brakes can shudder badly. (But they still work fine.). When I replaced the breaks I had them put larger, ventilated rotors on and that helped a lot until the wear got below 75%, then the shuddering started again--less strongly, but still quite noticeably. But I have never had a safety issue with the brakes, even in emergency situations. The second issue is the suicide doors. They are awkward in a parking lot because the front door has to be opened before the back door can be opened. Tough when you have a car next to you, and makes it difficult to load a person or a dog into the back seat. But I solve this problem by parking away from other cars. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker. I just can't say enough about my Tundra. It is simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. All cars & trucks should be made like this!!! The only reason I will ever get rid of it is if I , my mom, or my dog can no longer step up and down to get in or out of it."

I love the '04-'06 Double Cab Tundras!

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Value, reliability, comfort, power, style"

Cons: "Poor (12-15 mpg), huge turning radius"

"I bought this '04 Tundra Limited (Double Cab) used in 2011 with only 41,000 miles for about $17,500. (Today with just 50,000 miles KBB still puts it significantly above that.) I love Toyota value, quality, and dependability (I own a 2007 Yaris, too, which just broke 100,000 miles without a single issue.)! Overall, the Tundra is powerful, smooth, comfortable (for ALL five passengers), stylish (aesthetics), and reliable. With the campershell, we love camping overnight in warmer weather. The only major downsides, which I knew upfront, are: the huge turning radius (not great in crowded parking lots) and poor MPG (12-15 mpg). Other than that, no regrets... except maybe all the hauling I end up doing for family and friends... Nah! That's a joy, too!"

AWESOME ! truck and I love it.

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and Dependable"

Cons: "cost. With a long bed its hard to park."

"I have taken this truck over 4 summits in several winters with no chains or roads plowed and it's AWESOME ! BEST YEAR OF THE TUNDRAS EVER. NEVER A PROBLEM as long as you do the maintenance."

NEVER ANY PROBLEMS

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "? wish gas mileage little better"

"On my third toyota tundra had 200000 on a previous tundra still didnt burn a drop of oil with 200000 mi and it was used hard for work and plowing snow started every day never let me down had to do basic maintenance tires ect... the model years owned 2000,2004,2006 you can't go wrong with these trucks."

Great and reliable truck.

By on Sunday, October 09, 2011

Pros: "Good towing power, comfortable, RELIABLE!!"

Cons: "Gas milage"

"My 2004 Limited Tundra 4x4 has always been reliable and very comfortable for long distance drives. I bought it used and put almost 60k on it within four years and it still rides great. Just change the oil every 5k and the truck keeps on going. Only things I've replaced are tires and a battery. If your looking for a comfortable, reliable truck, with good towing power, then I'd highly recommend a Tundra."

03 Tundra SR5 Excab 4x4 V8 TRD

By on Thursday, July 03, 2008

"After 64K miles it has been 100% reliable. Turning radius is wide, but reasonable for fullsize truck. Rides smooth and quiet, great torque off the line. Very capable and confidence inspiring in snow and mud, but too wide and long for serious off roading. Mileage has ranged from a low of 15 MPG to a high of 19 MPG, and averages 17 MPG per tank. Only faults are a squeeky dash that is easily fixed, and the front seat could go a little farther back for anyone over 6' with long legs. Rear seats are tight for adults, but fine for typical city trips. Six adults will fit, if necessary. Great value."

Best truck

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"ive used a ford f150, a dodge ram 1500 and the Toyota Tundra i currently have, which has out-performed, and out towed the competitors. towing a 6,000lb boat is a slice of cake and so is being on a slime covered ramp pulling the boat out. it drives great in all weather conditions and has only had new tires and oil changes, with 110,000 miles on it is still running like the day i bought it. i have recommended this to my friends and others that have asked for my advice when buying a truck. **and i dont baby this truck either."

Toyota Tundra

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"I have absolutely loved this truck since buying in 2004. However, I go back and forth as far as recommending to a friend for purchase due to the problems with the brakes that Tundra's are apparently known for. Repeated trips to the dealership and lack of response on Toyota's behalf have left me with a bad feeling towards ever purchasing another Toyota - something I never thought I'd say. Low Quality rated simply due to the brakes. All else has been fine."

Solid

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"Been a great truck, reliable, comfortable, good power, does not drive like a cumbersome truck. However it is NOT a full size pick-up truck and as such if you are a large person it may not be your size. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs and it is fine for me. It does get worse gas milage than your would expect given its size. I average almost 14 MPG and have never gotten anything close to its listed 16 MPG city even on HWY and that is even afte adding a cold air intake from K&N. Runs much better on mid grade gas, tends to get pingy on the cheap stuff."

06 Tundra

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"Great overall truck. Big Engine, not so heavy truck= very fast. i'm in a lease so i cant put any mods on yet, just the duals i got on the exhuast. it performs well off-road to. I am from WV, so i do alot of off-road driving. only a couple problems i noticed. as with all trucks its ahrd to get traction without weight in the back. the other, the stepside bed doesnt tow as much as the regular bed. of course both with all kinds of trucks, not just toyota. some good things, the engine isnt built into the dashboard, like the new fords. lots of space around the engine, not very foreign design. another great feature, the gas mileage. its incredible for a 4.7 v8 truck."

Best Truck Toyota ever made.

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pros: "All Good"

Cons: "No Bads"

"Very best truck i have ever owned. never had a serious problem. Put gas and oil in it and it will run FOREVER."

Best truck I have ever owned

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pros: "reliable, awesome in the snow with 4wd."

Cons: "cheek heater button isn't in a great location"

"I have owned a couple of the big 3 trucks and this Tundra rides the best, pulls trailers just fine, and seats all 5 of us very comfortablly. On road trips its very nice to be able to have our music up front while the kids have ample space and can watch a dvd in the back with the wireless headphones. We love the power sliding window that drops down coupled with the sunroof open and all 4 windows down, it feels like a convertible that is safe. I average 18mpgs. Easy to do maint. and just did the easiest brake job I have ever done. Took about an hour. Rides like a Tahoe or the Seqoia. Very sure footed. Not a big powerhouse towing machine, but for everyday use and occasional heavy stuff in the back with the ability to be very comfortable upfront we just can't ask for much more."