2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1241 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Best truck I ever owned

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, comfort. durability"

Cons: "Small back seat."

"I bought this truck new in 2000. I used it for work putting 30K to 35K annual miles on it for the first five years. These were tough miles because I worked for a timber company and drove on logging roads much of the time. I used the four wheel drive almost every day. Since then I put 6K miles per year on it. Used for hunting, fishing, towing and hauling as well as normal driving. It still runs like new. Engine does not leak or use oil. Replaced the transmission at 192K. That is longer than any other automatic I have owned or used. I may keep this truck forever. This truck even has the original exhaust system on it."

Super Duty Tundra

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Dependable. Reliable. Cheap to Keep on the Road."

Cons: "Cost of gas."

"I bought the truck new August 2006. 185700 miles later and I am still loving it. It drives almost as good and tight as the day I bought it. No (0) leaks. Does not burn any oil. Average 19+mpg. Max mpg was 23. Lowest I have ever got was 14 when I was pulling a big trailer. 4.7V8. I had a brake problem from day one. When applying brakes it made a horrible racket. It did not matter if it was wet or dry; SQUEEKE, GRIND, and more awful noises. Dealership replaced ALL brake parts around 50k miles. NO problems after this. The A/C blower went out. $120 DIY fix. 4WD performs flawlessly. Transmission works flawlessly. I have pulled a camper and boat with no problems. I LOVE the rear power window and my sun roof - open both, turn on some Hank, and let the good times roll. My 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD has been EXCELLENT!!"

Solid, quiet and smooth. Power and handling exc

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "great handling, smooth, solid"

Cons: "difficult for shorter drivers to operate"

"Excellent truck for around town hauling. easy to handle, good turning radius, roomy. very smooth and quiet on the highway like riding in a luxury car but also feels solid and capable under less than ideal conditions."

Good ride, almost no maintenance costs.

By on Monday, September 9, 2013

"In 13 years I have replaced 1 headlight, 2 taillights, and an oxygen sensor."

Quality Everyday Truck - Toyota did this right!

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Cost of ownership, reliability, ageless design"

Cons: "Wish the 2004 tundras had a 5 or 6 speed tranny"

"Purchased this truck in 2008 as a certified pre-owned from Toyota dealership in Dallas. Went to look at the new Tacoma; but saw this rig sitting in the corner of the used area. Every time I take it in for an oil change, the mechanics tell me how great the truck looks and runs and that it is one of the nicest pre big body tundras they see in their shop. I keep it in a garage and use it mainly for highway driving - sometimes pulling a 16 ft flat bottom aluminum boat. Pulls just fine with or without tow/haul mode engaged. Every once in a while I will hit a dirt trail, and if I had 4 wheel drive I would certainly give it a whirl. In the 80,000 miles that I have put on it here is what I have had to do for maintenance/ repair: - Change Oil and Filter every 5k - Currently on my 2nd set of tires(just bought 2nd set in June) - I installed a K&N cold-air induction and my fuel mileage went to 20.5 hwy/ 16 city from 18/14 - worth every penny! - Passenger electric mirror motor went out, replaced it with dealer part. - A/C knob got loose and would not stay on, replaced it with dealer part. - Driver side interior door handle (not the one that opens the door, just the bar you pull on to pull the door shut) gets loose every 6 months and you have to take the door apart to tighten the nut back up. No biggie. - Had front rotors replaced and new pads installed at the dealership at 110k due to small vibration when braking at speeds above 40mph. After repair - no more vibration. I have owned Ford and Chevy trucks in the past -and this Tundra is superior regarding unscheduled maintenance and cost of ownership outside of monthly payments. Of course, the previous trucks I have owned may not have been cared for as well as this toyota - and I may have not cared for my previous trucks as well as I do this one. However, on my previous trucks there were substantial mechanical issues arising at the 100k mile mark and this Toyota has blown right past that. Would buy this truck again in a heart beat!"

Awesome truck. Looks good, runs great. RELIABLE!!

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I love this truck. Good looking, reliable, drives like a car. NEVER a mechanical issue in 91,000 flawless miles. No one builds a better truck for the money than Toyota. You work hard for your money, spend it on quality products."

Excellent Pickup - PERIOD!

By on Friday, April 5, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Handling, RELIABILITY"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I would recommend owning one. Bought this in 2011 with 60,000 hard driven miles. This is the first Toyota I've owned. Before this, I was a die hard Chevy/GMC guy. Very comfortable ride and not tiring after 800 miles of driving in a day. I really like how it drives and rides, and easily handles the weekend do-it-yourselfer's jobs. The only downside is the gas mileage. Religiously average between 13-15 mpg with the V8, but that goes with any 12 year old pickup. I definately recommend you give Toyota serious consideration when it comes to purchasing."

Very comfortable on the highway, ok on back roads.

By on Friday, March 8, 2013

"It's a V-6; I get a steady 18mpg, mostly freeway commuting with no load. I had to replace the exhaust valves at 155,000m,for $3000, and a wheel bearing at 170,000m, for $360. I have done the front brakes once at about 145,000m. These seem reasonable for an 11 yr. old truck with high mileage. I would like better mileage and a stick shift, but this truck is paid for, so I'll drive it a ways yet."

My most enjoyable vehicle since learning to drive

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and sturdy"

Cons: "No backup camera and LCD console"

"The only problem with this truck is that Toyota did not keep this design. It is perfect for the weekend tinkerer."

Best truck I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability, great value, and great resell"

Cons: "None that I can find!"

"Love my 2005 Toyota Tundra! I drive about 80 miles round trip each day for work and for a full sized 4x4 truck with a V8 it gets good gas mileage. I have no complaints about this truck what so ever! I recommend anyone looking for a full/mid sized truck to pick one of these up. And with such a high resell value you can go wrong. I've owned Toyota, Dodge, Nissan, Ford trucks and I always end up going back to a Toyota. Every other brand of truck seems to end up with problems and yet all my Toyota's have never had any major issues. The only issue I have had was a fuel pump and coil pack going out on my Tacoma. And that was after I got up to around 180000 miles on it. If your not sure about spending the extra money on Toyota... DONT! I promise that you wont regret it! But I cant say the same if you buy Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. Toyota Owner for Life!"

BEST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "love love love it"

Cons: "GAS MILAGE IS POOR"

"ALTHOUGH ITS AN INCREDIBLE VEHICLE THE GAS IS KILLING ME BUT I STILL LOVE IT WOOULDNT TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD UNLESS ITS FOR A NEWER ONE!!!"

Great Truck

By on Monday, February 6, 2012

Pros: "well built nice looking truck, love 20" rims."

Cons: "needs more power, wide turning radius."

2004 Toyota Tundra D-cab

"Very solid truck. I have an sr5 4wd. other than being down on power versus others it get the job done well. Towed plenty of loads over 5k lbs no problem. My only issue is that it turns slow and wide."

2004 Toyota Tundra D-cab

Great truck. Has always done the job.

By on Monday, January 9, 2012

Pros: "Reliability."

Cons: "Turning radius."

"If there was a complaint about the truck I would have two. First, each time filling up the truck, it is almost impossible to set the auto fill at the gas station, the way of the design always shuts it off after 5 seconds. The second, the turning radius. I need 3.5 to 4 lanes to make a u-turn. Having been in some SUV's, they only need 2 to 2.5 and simply turning in some parking lots can be a challenge with this truck. Knowing this, I would not have changed my decision to purchase. Have had it for 7 years and have changed the tires and battery, everything else runs as it did on the day it was purchased. Also had the 2001 and used that experience to purchase the 2004. Will look in 2 years to purchase the 2014 Tundra."

One tough truck

By on Friday, December 2, 2011

Pros: "durability"

Cons: "turning radius is kinda wide"

"I have 140K on mine and its kinda loud and creaky around town, but I kill this thing everyday. Loaded up with 2000 lbs all the time and when its not, its getting jumped like dune buggy. Oil is still quite clean at 3000 miles and the engine runs excellent. Hit a deer with front bumper at 60 mph with very little damage. not even a fog light. Many thoughtful features , but an AC plug in the bed would be awesome. powerful steering , great brakes, and tough underbody( fuel tank, exhaust, ect...)"

Great truck! Couldn't have picked a better one!

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "extremely reliable, well designed all-around"

Cons: "paid a little too much for mine"

"I've owned my 2005 Tundra for 6 years... and have never had it in the shop any mechanical or engine trouble! Great for hauling anything and everything. Only downside was that I think I paid a bit too much (for the access cab model) when I bought it. But the truck has more than made up for that in reliability and just being an all-around great vehicle. I would definitely buy another Tundra... but the way this one is holding up, I may never have to. 2 pull-out cup holders two in the pull-down console, great console for storing necessities, comfortable seating (back seats a little cramped for adults but not too bad - it's an access cab, but perfect for my kids). Nice sound system. I replaced the stereo but kept the original speakers and amp - sounds great! Fuel efficiency is about what you'd expect for a V6 pickup - around 18mpg to 22mpg around town."

great truck

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"I have the Tundra double cab, it is my second Tundra and fourth toyota. I have a family of 4 and we fit comfortly. We have taken it on many long road trips and nobody has complained of being cramped and I have teenage boys not small children. I have taken it off roading, and it performed perfectly. It does good in snow, I would advise 4 wheel drive as the rear end is light like all trucks and will slip with the power. I have a 20' bayliner and I have towed it as far as 350 miles, and still managed around 16mpg while towing at 65mph, so power not an issue. I would recommend this truck to anyone, and I personally will never own a different vehicle then the Tundra."

2001 Tundra Limited 4WD TRD

By on Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Still going strong at 150,000 miles, used as a work truck by a field geologist on every back way, side road, jeep track, and rabbit trail you could think of, and all I have ever had to replace are spark plugs, brake pads, 4 windshields (gravel from roads), and normal maintenance. Killed a 1,200 lb. cow elk at 60 mph with it in 2003, and I never left the roadway and was not injured at all."

Good Solid Full Size Truck

By on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I purchased this truck at the end of the 2006 model year with huge discount as the new monster versions of the Tundra were coming out and the dealer wanted to get rid of the old model year. THE PROS: This truck is derided as being only 7/8 scale compared to a full size truck. This is an advantage, not a defect; and it is not really true. I park next to a 1990's Chevy at work and this Tundra is slightly larger than older full-size American trucks. This truck can easily take 20 sheets of sheetrock or a load of tile that will do most kitchens without complaining. The bed is full sized, but doesn't have the high sides like the new truck-which I like because it allows me to reach over the side to retrieve items rather than have to crawl into the bed. I think the official load rating for the truck is 1250 lbs, so just over 1/2T. The 4.0L V-6 has plenty of power and is very fuel efficient with my mileage typically in the 19-22 MPG range. With the 22 gal fuel tank, the range is over 400 miles. I don't pull trailers, so can't comment on that. Ground clearance is good and the truck handles an old rutted gravel road with no complaints. The access cab backseat folds up and is good for hauling luggage and other items out of the rain and keeping them secure. CONS: The front seats are not comfortable for long trips (over 4 hours is painful for me), but ok for around town. The access cab rear seat will sit two small adults for short trips, but more than 30 minutes would be considered torture. I wish that I had purchased the full 4-door truck. I don't like how the main door and access door open opposite of each other. Is ok when in a wide open space, and actually makes for a very wide opening, but in a shopping center parking lot with another vehicle next to you, it is nearly impossible to get your groceries into the truck. Turning radius is not great on this truck, but no worse than my brother's old Dodge. Overall, I like this truck and would recommend to anyone. Toyota build quality is as expected and I have no issues whatsoever in 60K of driving. I just put new tires on the truck, but have not even had to do a brake job at this point."

Best Truck Ever

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"I have an 05 Tundra SR5 TRD off-road package access cab. I have aftermarket wheels, tires, straight pipe, tinted windows, and a daystar leveling kit. Looks absolutely gorgeous! In my opinion this is the best truck ever made. The size is excellent, not too big and not too small. The power and mileage are great. I am somewhat of an aggressive driver and have yet to lose a race to any other 05 or older truck and when I am not driving aggresively I check mileage regularly and in the summer I always get 17 or 18 mpg and in the cold Iowa winters with 4x4 activated most of the time and depending on how cold it is I usually have 13-15 mpg which really isn't bad. Has never had any problems at 100,000 miles and I plan to keep it 300k+. Rides great, sounds great, (did a straight pipe in place of muffler and kept resonator), and looks great. My TRD off-road package offers fender flares, upgraded suspension, and styling that cannot be offered by any others. Why did Toyota stop making this generation of Tundras? I don't know but would highly recommend buying the best truck ever produced."

sweetness

By on Monday, June 7, 2010

"still never had a problem in 4 years. this truck rocks"

All over the place

By on Friday, May 7, 2010

"I have traveled all the way from Seattle to the south of Mexico and it is a dream come true. Best truck I ever had and I have owned plenty of them."

Great Truck

By on Friday, February 19, 2010

"I purchased my used 2004 Tundra 4 door in 2007 with 34000 miles on it. So far the only thing I've replaced are the tires and regular oil changes. Rides great, handles well, tows like a champ and has never let me down. I now have over 90000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Lots of room front and back, the power rear window is awesome in the summer time, and the stereo is first rate. I'd recommend this truck to anyone that wants a smooth riding reliable and never say die truck."

May never stop running

By on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Have had one of these for 8 years now and with over 150,000 miles still runs like a champ. Only issue I ever had was with the plastic hinges for the back seat vent windows. Could not handle the kids open and closing them and would never last more than a couple years for some reason. Only reason considering getting something else is because gas mileage is pretty poor in my 2000 model. Will kill me if I do get rid of it. Has been the best vehicle of any type I have ever owned."

above all expectations

By on Saturday, November 7, 2009

"very reliable trk, great on gas for V-8. no problems in snow(2wd model) handles great off road. great design and sleekness for a truck. tons of power for towing and hauling use. very comfortable and roomey for long trips."

It's a Toyata

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"WOW!!! This truck is amazing. It's a 2001 model and I bought it about 7 months ago with 92000 on it. It now has 103500 on it and I have done nothing except some oil changes. It has an extremely comfortable ride in town or on the highway. My only complaint about this truck is on trips over about an hour, my 6'3" son compains about the front seat leg room (He can't fit in the back seat). The mileage around town is about 16 and on the hwy around 19. Not bad for a 4WD V8 Truck. It tows my boat without any problem, I can't even tell the boat is there. I have a friend that has another brand of truck with a diesel (1996) and I had to pull his boat for him because he didn't have enough power to get it out of the water. Would not have bought anything else. My wife loves it and very seldom lets me drive it. Thats OK because I have the 07 Corolla S."