2000 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab

9.4

Based on 1222 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

great vehicle, great value, works hard.

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "Durable, costs very little to operate."

Cons: "Nothing flashy, but it's a great work horse."

"My employees have abused this truck and it just keeps on running. The body is beat, because we plow snow with it the front shocks, struts and ball joints are beat, but it won't quit. I've decided to retire it and fix it up. I'll probably run it another 100,000 miles."

Best Truck and Vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great off-road and in the snow."

"With 127,000 miles on this truck I have spent nothing on repairs - just maintenance. Runs like the day I bought it new. If Toyota had not ruined the design I would happily buy another one. Since they have ruined the design I will just keep this one forever and I am pretty confident it will last that long!"

Best vehicle (including cars) ever.

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Solid, comfy, reliable, powerful, dependable."

Cons: "Brakes shudder. Suicide doors awkward."

"I have been the sole owner of this vehicle; it was purchased brand new. The ride is that of a luxury car (my 80-year old mother says it's the most comfortable vehicle in which she has ever ridden). The interior is quiet and spacious. The suspension is rock-solid--despite having driven it off road, I've only had to have one wheel alignment in 14 years. It drives like a luxury car as well. The engine is solid and provides great torque for passing and towing, but it's not the worst gas mileage: 19 hwy and 11 city. It has never broken down on me, but of course I take great care of it like the jewel it is. I've only had to put oil, brakes, and tires on it. It has never leaked a drop of fluid. For preventive maintenance, I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 100K miles. I've only had two issues with it. The first and only significant one is that there is something wrong with the brake design. I'm told it's due to having put rotors on the vehicle which are too small for the truck; after a while the rotors warp due to excessive heat and the brakes can shudder badly. (But they still work fine.). When I replaced the breaks I had them put larger, ventilated rotors on and that helped a lot until the wear got below 75%, then the shuddering started again--less strongly, but still quite noticeably. But I have never had a safety issue with the brakes, even in emergency situations. The second issue is the suicide doors. They are awkward in a parking lot because the front door has to be opened before the back door can be opened. Tough when you have a car next to you, and makes it difficult to load a person or a dog into the back seat. But I solve this problem by parking away from other cars. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker. I just can't say enough about my Tundra. It is simply the best vehicle I've ever owned. All cars & trucks should be made like this!!! The only reason I will ever get rid of it is if I , my mom, or my dog can no longer step up and down to get in or out of it."

Tundra excellance

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Owned this Tundra for 5 years and it is without exception the best vehicle without a doubt I have ever owned. Comfort, reliability, good performance and value. No real problems i can remember to think of, it has never been back to the garage for anything but regular service. I extimate this truck will easly hit 250K miles before it is replaced. The 4.7 liter engine gets 17 mpg around town 19 on the highway at 65mph. 10+ mpg pulling a 6500lb travel trailer at 60mph. I included mpg info because I think it will help folks to know it. I do drive lightly on the gas pedel so others may not do as well."

Disappointed

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"Purchased new in 2000. It now has 148,000 miles. At 60,000 miles both exhaust manifolds cracked. Not covered under warranty. $2000 to fix and I was told it may happen again. Rear brake drums warped, not covered under warranty. $300 to replace. Warped again, replaced with Auto value drums- problem solved, Gas gage failed $500 to replace. Bilstein shocks failed. Replaced with Auto value shocks still good at 148,000 miles. Starter needed to be replaced at 100,000 miles. No complaint, that is a lot of starts. But it cost $765 to replace and took 7 1/2 hours. No repair shop dared to do the job. Had to have dealer replace it. Because of an unforseen relocation, after I purchased the truck, it has not had to haul nor tow anything. I am sure not hard on it as far as driving it. I am disappointed with the type of failures it has had. I bought a Toyota expecting the quality to be better. The engine has run very well-it still uses no oil, the truck drives very well. Perhaps I just got one that is not typical. Ignore the styling rating, it is the absolute last thing I care about a vehicle."