• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

9.4

Based on 1171 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Awesome truck

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pros: "Good. Mileage and comfortable ride"

Cons: "Shorter turn for ease of parking"

"This truck can't be beat. Average distance mileage is 22 miles per gallon. It drives great, could have a sharper turn. I have not had any major repair, other then water pump. Could sell it right now..I feel like this truck will run forever, if maintained properly. Would not hesitate to buy another."

LOVE my Tundra!

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "dependable"

Cons: "MPG"

"I purchased my Tundra in 2002. It had 38,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect truck for me. If I ever get another truck…it will be another Tundra! The cost of maintenance has been negligible. WHat a great vehicle!"

Super Duty Tundra

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Dependable. Reliable. Cheap to Keep on the Road."

Cons: "Cost of gas."

"I bought the truck new August 2006. 185700 miles later and I am still loving it. It drives almost as good and tight as the day I bought it. No (0) leaks. Does not burn any oil. Average 19+mpg. Max mpg was 23. Lowest I have ever got was 14 when I was pulling a big trailer. 4.7V8. I had a brake problem from day one. When applying brakes it made a horrible racket. It did not matter if it was wet or dry; SQUEEKE, GRIND, and more awful noises. Dealership replaced ALL brake parts around 50k miles. NO problems after this. The A/C blower went out. $120 DIY fix. 4WD performs flawlessly. Transmission works flawlessly. I have pulled a camper and boat with no problems. I LOVE the rear power window and my sun roof - open both, turn on some Hank, and let the good times roll. My 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD has been EXCELLENT!!"

My favorite vehicle

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "Quiet, reliable, capable, roomy."

Cons: "Turning radius, thin paint, gas mileage"

"I own a 2006 SR5 2WD double cab Tundra. I have also owned a 2000 SR5 4WD Tundra. My current truck has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, hands down. It's almost 8 years old and drives like a dream. It's quieter than my wife's 2008 Sienna and my 2012 Ford Fusion. We readily load up our 3 kids and pull a camper for weekend trips. I've done most of the maintenance myself over the years. The only non-scheduled maintenance done was to replace one headlight after it began to accumulate water inside - replaced free of charge at the dealer despite being out of warranty. Things I wish we're better: turning radius, quality of plastic dash, paint job. Both of my tundras seem to have been a little thin on the paint but with care my 2006 still looks great. My favorite feature is the rear window which completely retracts into the rear wall of the cab. Would definitely buy again and I look to keep this for many for many more years."

Solid, quiet and smooth. Power and handling exc

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "great handling, smooth, solid"

Cons: "difficult for shorter drivers to operate"

"Excellent truck for around town hauling. easy to handle, good turning radius, roomy. very smooth and quiet on the highway like riding in a luxury car but also feels solid and capable under less than ideal conditions."

love it but bought it with high miles

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

"I had to travel about 80 miles to get it and I drove it on the freeway most of the drive home. The steering had a little hiccup once but went away so not sure if it was the road or the vehicle. No other problems whatsoever. It is a 2000 but runs like new."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Best truck I have ever owned!"

Good ride, almost no maintenance costs.

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

"In 13 years I have replaced 1 headlight, 2 taillights, and an oxygen sensor."

The 2006 Tundra has its pros and cons....

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, good driving"

Cons: "gas mileage, turning radius"

"2006, 2 wheel drive, 4 door, regular SR5 I have put 54,000 miles on my truck and I for the most part love it. I have only had one mechanical issue with it, a rear wheel bearing broke and damaged my tire speed sensor it cost about $500 to fix and the mechanic recommends replacing the other rear bearing as well. I change my oil every 3,000 - 6,000 miles, it's a little more expensive for a oil change in this truck since it takes 6.5 quarts rather then the regular 5.5. It's comfortable and has a nice ride... a little load as far as road noise goes though. The only thing I hate about the driving is the trucks turning radius. Its like trying to turn a semi! I also have a 2010 Surburban (a BIG truck) and it turns 10 times better then my Tundra. Also with the increasing gas prices the mileage this truck gets has become an issue I average 14 - 15 mpg and it really doesn't change on the highway."

Most Outstanding Dependable Truck

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Dependability -- As Always! Comfortable."

Cons: "Nothing worth mentioning -- Really"

"V-6 5 Speed 2WD and has done an outstanding job for the price. Paid 15.5K in late 2003, racked up a lot of miles, work Long trips/Vac etc and never a serious problem. I've had one coil go bad and recently (3 days ago) had the plug wires go bad. Mechanic recommended changing the timing belt and water pump at that time, and I did $1,000 but should have done at 90K anyway. I Use synthetic oil and change at 8 to 10K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Owned a 1985 4x4 SR5 before that and had 235K on it, just parked it and bought this one, nothing wrong with it either. All high mileage vehicles and worth the price."

Best truck I have ever owned

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pros: "reliable, awesome in the snow with 4wd."

Cons: "cheek heater button isn't in a great location"

"I have owned a couple of the big 3 trucks and this Tundra rides the best, pulls trailers just fine, and seats all 5 of us very comfortablly. On road trips its very nice to be able to have our music up front while the kids have ample space and can watch a dvd in the back with the wireless headphones. We love the power sliding window that drops down coupled with the sunroof open and all 4 windows down, it feels like a convertible that is safe. I average 18mpgs. Easy to do maint. and just did the easiest brake job I have ever done. Took about an hour. Rides like a Tahoe or the Seqoia. Very sure footed. Not a big powerhouse towing machine, but for everyday use and occasional heavy stuff in the back with the ability to be very comfortable upfront we just can't ask for much more."

Unbelievable reliability Gets us home safe.

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pros: "Fast truck fun to drive comfortable and reliable."

Cons: "Gas millage turning radius it's a truck."

"Purchased this truck used in 2007 with 117,000 miles on it now I have 197,000 we use it on weekends to do Art shows all over the State of fl.I can not say enough about how happy I am with this truck .All I have done is timing belt, radiator,Tires,brakes.I will get 300,000 on this truck and maybe more.I trust this truck and would drive it anywhere."

Quality Everyday Truck - Toyota did this right!

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Cost of ownership, reliability, ageless design"

Cons: "Wish the 2004 tundras had a 5 or 6 speed tranny"

"Purchased this truck in 2008 as a certified pre-owned from Toyota dealership in Dallas. Went to look at the new Tacoma; but saw this rig sitting in the corner of the used area. Every time I take it in for an oil change, the mechanics tell me how great the truck looks and runs and that it is one of the nicest pre big body tundras they see in their shop. I keep it in a garage and use it mainly for highway driving - sometimes pulling a 16 ft flat bottom aluminum boat. Pulls just fine with or without tow/haul mode engaged. Every once in a while I will hit a dirt trail, and if I had 4 wheel drive I would certainly give it a whirl. In the 80,000 miles that I have put on it here is what I have had to do for maintenance/ repair: - Change Oil and Filter every 5k - Currently on my 2nd set of tires(just bought 2nd set in June) - I installed a K&N cold-air induction and my fuel mileage went to 20.5 hwy/ 16 city from 18/14 - worth every penny! - Passenger electric mirror motor went out, replaced it with dealer part. - A/C knob got loose and would not stay on, replaced it with dealer part. - Driver side interior door handle (not the one that opens the door, just the bar you pull on to pull the door shut) gets loose every 6 months and you have to take the door apart to tighten the nut back up. No biggie. - Had front rotors replaced and new pads installed at the dealership at 110k due to small vibration when braking at speeds above 40mph. After repair - no more vibration. I have owned Ford and Chevy trucks in the past -and this Tundra is superior regarding unscheduled maintenance and cost of ownership outside of monthly payments. Of course, the previous trucks I have owned may not have been cared for as well as this toyota - and I may have not cared for my previous trucks as well as I do this one. However, on my previous trucks there were substantial mechanical issues arising at the 100k mile mark and this Toyota has blown right past that. Would buy this truck again in a heart beat!"

Reliable truck

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, space for everyone, rides great."

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Aside from a early recall on replacing the front end ball joints, this truck has caused no further issues. On purchase I had a brand name spray on bedliner and step rail installed. My wife loved the truck, unfortunately gas prices have risen so much that I now only use the truck every other weekend and only when necessary. currently averaging around 16 mpg."

Everything you need and a bit of what you want.

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "Power, Dependability, amenities"

Cons: "rear axle seals, stiff susspension, road noise"

"My 2000 Toyota Tundra has been worth every penny put into it over the last 8 years. It has been dependable as I have moved across the country and taken many a trip. The truck isn't outlandishly large like full size pick ups now a days, yet after all these years it still packs the power to squeal tires at the touch of a pedal. The dash a gauges are laid out in a fashion that allows you easy access without having to direct your attention away from the road. Handling is great and still crisp. The downsides are the rear axle seals burst every couple years and cost a couple hundred bucks to fix. The suspension is a bit stiff leaving small bumps jarring in their own right and the road noise is a bit loud. All in all, my Tundra has been worth every dollar spent and put in."

Reliable and economic

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Great!"

Truck has been, and still is, exceptional!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, towing, built solid."

Cons: "Spaciousness, shallow bed."

"Great truck for many years. Strong small V8, reliability is amazing, towing is good for a 1/2 ton, and it has served our family well. Body style and Access cab is smaller than the newer Tundra's, of course, but it has been sufficient space for 2 adults and two young kids. Installed a tow hitch and an electronic brake controller myself for pulling a 23' travel trailer and it was a easy. Toyota did things well in 2002."

Great truck!

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Drives like a Camry."

Cons: "Cup holders with cups block instruments."

"No interior light switch on dash. Cup holders with cups block instruments."

Initial cost is higher but worth it

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, functionality, reliability, style"

Cons: "Not available with manual trans or diesel engine"

"Plenty of power, handles well. Intuitive controls/gauges. Compared to my GMC, this truck is luxurious, much better ride and much quieter. Overall quality is much better than American made trucks I've owned, everything continues to work even as the truck ages and the miles accrue."

THE BEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWN

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

"I bought my Tundra new in May 2003 with 15 miles on the odometer, ten year later now it has 107,754 miles, it still drives like it just came out of the showroom. It has comfortable ride, super smooth and quiet engine. There are no mechanical problems. I really recommend this truck to everyone."

Awesome truck. Looks good, runs great. RELIABLE!!

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I love this truck. Good looking, reliable, drives like a car. NEVER a mechanical issue in 91,000 flawless miles. No one builds a better truck for the money than Toyota. You work hard for your money, spend it on quality products."

Very dependable-Could be a little more comfortable

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Not the most comf. ride. Repairs a little costly"

"Bought this Tundra new in 2000. It has been a very good truck. Plenty of pep w/4.7 L V-8. Get about 17 mpg to work and back,1/2&1/2 hwy and other. 18-19 on hwy. I'd rate the comfort level about a 6 1/2 or 7 on trips when you need a truck. If I bought any other truck it would only be for a more comfortable ride, but I'd check out the new Tundras first. Toyota maintenance is a little pricey, but worth it since you don't have to take it in that often. The biggest thing has been replace the water pump @ about 160K miles. Has never leaked or burned a drop of oil."

I love my truck.

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"My Trundra has never failed to do everything Iv,e expected of it. Bad weather, snow, Ice, ect. If you drive responsibly she will never let you down."

The best

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Best truck"

Dependable, Comfortable with Great excelleration

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "very dependable"

Cons: "Fuel use gets a little worse when hauling"

"I have had this truck for over 5 yrs. Bought it used with 12,000 miles on it. Now at over 165,000 miles, still going strong and dependable. It been a good truck. It gave me a family vehicle with all the room but yet could still manage to haul my horses, in both a stock trailer as well as a 2 horse goose neck. She's geared a little high for hauling, but will get the job done, I would not tackel a mountain while loaded just not geared for it. My only complaint. I expected better fuel mileage out of Toyota."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tundra Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for