• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

9.4

Based on 1215 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Best of the 4 trucks I've owned

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pros: "Comfort/ride for a truck. Great family/tow RV"

Cons: "Poor turn radius"

"Great combination of comfort, durability and functionality. Great family vehicle."

Very handy to have around

By on Thursday, April 16, 2015

Pros: "Nice drive, handles well, has plenty of power."

Cons: "Rear seat is not really suitable for passengers."

"I enjoy driving this vehicle. It is handy as a commuter and as a work vehicle. The rear seat is handy to carry a couple of people or tools and stuff. I have gotten about 19 mpg out of this big V8 with conservative driving habits. Suspension need to be beefed up if you plan to carry much or tow camp trailer or loaded utility trailer. Adding overload or air ride shocks would be a good idea. I have long legs so seating behind the driver is limited to small individuals or children. Overall this is a great ride."

Perfect for your weekend adventures!

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pros: "power rear window, suspention, six person seating."

Cons: "mileage. but not bad enough to stop this smile."

"I have only put 1,000 miles since purchasing my '06 4wd sr5. But each mile has been the most comfertable ive ever driven. Strats and runs like a champ. When you hit the throttle you can here and feel its humble power. Like a cloud on the dirt and silent on the black top. This is my first toyota but im sure it wont be the last. Besides shes just broken in. Still has tons of life and adventure ahaed. GET ONE!"

Best Truck Toyota ever made.

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pros: "All Good"

Cons: "No Bads"

"Very best truck i have ever owned. never had a serious problem. Put gas and oil in it and it will run FOREVER."

4th one owned

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, Powerful & Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"I have owned 4 Toyota Tundra over 19 year span. This is by far my favorite truck. I had a newer model, newer body style and it just does not compare to my 2005! Love the older body style because it is easier for me to maneuver. The newer version seemed longer to me. My 2005 is roomy and both my kids ride comfortable in the back. Reliable and powerful! Love my Toyota! Don't buy this if you are looking for a gas saver. This is a strong V8 and it uses gas! This is a fantastic truck. I take care of my truck, service it regularly at the dealer and it never lets me down."

Excellent mechanical condition

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

"Excellent condition overall with the exception of body work and bumper replacements"

2nd best vehicle I have owned, after my 1996 4Run

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, rides great, quiet"

"2nd best vehicle I have owned after my 1996 4Runner. This truck has never failed me, other than 2 flat tires. It is really an outstanding truck, rides great, very quiet in the cab, no major maintenance problems other than just what Toyota scheduled."

Best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down.

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "RELIABLE TO THE MAX"

Cons: "NONE"

"Reliable, never had any problems, everything still works. Have replaced timing belt and water cooler and of course tires. Regular maintenance. Some interesting values here, both trade in and sell private. Wouldn't part with it for either value given, to low by at least 3K. Have seen vehicles very much like mine in all respects on preowned lots in NC for 17K/18K, same milage, condition, model, etc."

Toyota really knows trucks!!!

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "It rides better than a Cadillac!!!"

Cons: "Interior driver's door handle is broken."

"The Toyota Tundra is the very best vehicle that I've ever owned. It is now 16 years old with 193000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with it. The A/C works just fine, too. If I had the money right now, I'd certainly buy another one."

Solid truck, so-so gas mileage

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable to drive"

Cons: "MPG not so good"

"This trucks runs like the day I bought it - great! The gas mileage has always been so-so at best. There are 8 cylinder trucks that do better. Also has had a few factory recalls, an issue with the Check Engine light (resolved)and has a few dings and scratches. Very comfortable to drive and passenger seating is comfortable too. When washed and waxed, it looks nearly new. The interior does show some wear and tear, but certainly not ripped up. It pulls a 22' boat with no problem and handles heavy loads to the dump. It has been a good truck."

Last toyota for me

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Still thinking... Power rear window...?"

Cons: "Poor overall design"

"About six months ago I took the pickup into the local dealership for the frame check recall (they claimed it was not bad enough to replace and sprayed it). Soon after I got it back the rear banjo started to weep (rust). Found out this is not a "safety" issue and Toyota will not do anything for you, so I will have to cough up $800-$1000 for a used axle at junk yard (labor NOT included). Observed the mileage has been slowly dropping (about 4mpg over the past 6-8 months) and the shifter is VERY stiff. Today at just over 140000 miles the check engine light has come on. (O2 sensor? Shifter? Need to read the code.) So far have experienced: - Poor corporate/dealer support - Large blind spots - Engine races when A/C kicks on (better be quick on the brake) - More and more rust issues - Poor dash/switch layout and lighting - Poorly designed e-brake system - Catalytic converter shrouds came loose - Shifter is getting very stiff - Has had a "thud" when taking off from a stop since it was new (have heard it is because there is no grease fitting on the drive-shaft slip-joint) This is not what I expected when I bought this unit, I won't buy another Toyota, ready to buy US again."

Been so happy with it I've hesitated to upgrade.

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "Reliable winter transportation"

Cons: "Don't trust the dealership."

"I've got over 220,000 miles on the truck driven in arctic conditions and spent less than $1000 on repairs over 14 years. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and run an injector cleaner with Techron through the system a couple of times a year. It starts at minus 40 and runs quietly. No oil leaks and it doesn't burn oil. Not particularly happy with the dealer but don't care because I don't need to visit them very often."

most dependable truck i ever owned

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "trustworthy"

Cons: "mpg"

"Rough ride ,gas mileage low 15 to 16 but very dependable."

my fav vehicle ever! Tough, reliable, comfortable

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Pros: "great in snow and ice"

Cons: "low fuel economy"

"I love this truck. It performs so well in snow and ice with the snow tires. It is easy to clean and comfortable. Super reliable. It has 200+ miles and drives like its brand new. Great for dogs, kids, road trips, trips to the dump. etc."

Great truck, perfectly sized, excellent power

By on Monday, February 02, 2015

"Bought my Tundra 7 years ago, have put about 52,000 miles more on it. Has been reliable other than some goofy fuel related failures: tank leak, gas cap that set off 'check engine' light, fuel rail leak. Has been a fantastic hauler of furniture, firewood, and occasional boat towing. Has fabulous power from short stroke V8, decent mileage (18mpg is a high average, low as 15 w mixed town and road). And I must say I still love the looks of my stepside, and it is perfectly sized. Not too small, not too big. Easy to park and manuever, never feel like I'm driving a big rig (like 80% of newer half tons.) Biggest complaint: The ride quality of my "TRD Sport" is just flat out rough though. Truck has developed some rattles as a result, and I even bought taller tires to help compensate. Gotten used to it, but new trucks ride like luxury cars by comparison. Love the Tundra, definitely a fan."

Great truck. Bought new and still love it!

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pros: "Bullet proof!"

"This is a Great truck! I bought it new in October of 2002 and it has been a joy to own! Never a problem in 12 years and it still looks and runs like new!"

Good truck, detail mechanics lacking.

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

"I like the truck. I have 95,000 on it. No major complaints. Ths only problem is attention to detail. Interior detail lacking quality. Many of the latches are broken. The HVAC knobs are broken and glued. Sear coming apart. Just not the quality (2006) of earlier Tundas."

love my tundra!

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "styling, comfort, power,ride, resale, fuel economy"

Cons: "expensive , smaller than other "full size" trucks"

"if you want a nice looking, reliable, tough, roomy , comfortable truck that rides smooth and will tow your average boat camper or trailer with your wife and kids then you found the right truck. its about 7/8 scale of a full size truck for the 2006 but it will hold its value better than any other truck out there except maybe a chevy or gmc. its easy (er) on the fuel than the others, too. its a great truck and I love mine!"

Love This Truck!!

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "Great Overall Vehicle, Worth Every Penny"

"I purchased my 2005 Toyota Tundra used with 177K miles almost seven years ago. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned.It rides like a cadillac doesnt feel like most trucks, it's extremely comfortable! I love the power back glass it has came in handy a lot.It doesnt get the best gas mileage, but better than most trucks! I currently have 248K miles on the truck now and you would never be able to tell by the way it drives.I replaced timing belt when i purchased it only because I know its supposed to be done at 100K other that that ive had to replace the altinator once, battery once, and tires of course!This has been a great vehicle and I would purchase one again when this one has reached its lifespan but I feel that is going to be a while till that happens!"

Excellent vehichle still drives like new.

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "dependability and comfort rides like a car"

"Love this truck very dependable.just time for a change"

Solid

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Over 200,000 on this vehicle with a lot of rough 4x4 travel and still going. Nothing more than typical maintenance and fixing some of the issues caused by rough usage (front end work)."

Great Truck! Access cab takes getting used too.

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Power and handling is great! Tows well also. Access cab doors take awhile to get used too. Leg room in rears seat is limited."

Grear Truck!! Bought New (57 Mi)- Never Failed!

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pros: "Great, would buy again! Assembled in USA (Penn.)"

"Love this Truck- Wanted Long Bed, tried extended cab, but that was 28 ft long! Settled on Std cab w/long bed (can put full (4ftX8ft) plywood in bed and close it! (This after watching $65 Birch plywood fall out of Friends' Short Bed and seeing $400 down the drain! With Std cab & long bed still a challenge in some parking lots, worth walking. Have all necessary: P/S. P/B Air, Auto, Sliding Rear Glass, C/D; added "Feather" covers over windows, Inverter, wintch; People thought I was crazy for getting DOHC V-6 until gas went north of $4; look for $6 soon; glad to get ave 21 mpg (keep your foot light) but have hauled over a ton (in 3/4 rated truck, numerous times). If I replace, will be an old Ford F150 or F250 (without all the nonsense (Anyone have a 1969 or so in VGC for sale?)"

Best vehicle I have ever owned...

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, Powerful, Good Handling"

Cons: "None I can think of..."

"I bought my 02 Tundra nine years ago. This truck is sickening nice. As my buddys keep repairing and trading in their chevy's and dodges, I just keep saddling up in my Tundra. Dependable, sharp looking, and powerful. This truck is simple in regards to interior. Not much that can go wrong. As I get in my buddys 2014 Chevy Silverado, I can't help but to notice the luxury. But for some reason I cant seem to let go of old faithful. If you buy this truck I can guarantee you will not be disapointed."

Best vehicle I have EVER owned

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

"Bought new from a local dealer in 2000. Truck had 36 miles on it. I LOVE this truck. I have had NO problems with this truck. I will only buy Toyota vehicles in the future."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tundra Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals