• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax

Based on 958 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Handles well on the road great excelleration"

Cons: "only get between 15 an 16 miles per gallon"

"In over 8 years bought new have replaced one headlight an replaced rotors front an rear with brake pads once. Cooling vents were corroding I live in the north an our roads get salted. Replaced muffler due to small hole in rear from road salt not bad for being parked outdoors. Comfortable to ride in on a long trip with my wife."

A very good truck especially for the money.

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

"This truck is very low mileage, but it has been great for the first 6 years. I would recommend both the Tacoma and the Tundra as great Toyota truck options."

the best vehicle i have ever owned

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pros: "good mileage,good handling,excellent towing,smooth"

Cons: "stereo system below standard"

"I have not had any trouble with this pickup."

Best Truck for the Money

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "Value, Reliability, Quality, Feature content"

Cons: "None!"

"We purchased our 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD-OffRoad Double cab in Salsa Red Metallic in June of 2009. Our truck features the new-for-2010 4.6L V8. After nearly six years and 120,000 miles, I can assure you that this is one of the most sound automotive investments you can make. There has not been a single issue with the truck-ever. With routine servicing (oil change every 10k miles etc), I have no reason to believe this truck won't go for another 120k. The 4.6 V8 offers an excellent blend of power and fuel economy. I average just under 18 MPG and the truck has no issue with power in any situation. Out on the highway, the Tundra rides comfortably at any speed and passes with ease. The SR5 package provides an excellent blend of creature comforts at an affordable price. In 2009, bluetooth, USB, and a telescoping steering wheel couldn't be found at just north of $30k anywhere else but in the Tundra. Storage space is abundant. In any situation, the Tundra has exceeded expectations. Be it family hauling, road tripping, or any other activity a crew cab truck could be put up to, the Tundra will provide you with years of capable reliability. I plan on purchasing another Tundra once I pass the 2010 off to my son."

Outstanding truck - physical problem forces sale

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "Wonderful to drive, comfortable front buckets,"

Cons: "Tall, steps needed"

"Perfect condition, black on black with 20" custom tires and black wheels. Matching black camper shell over coated bed, bed has numerous tie downs. Fog lights, lights power off, daytime running lights. Drop down beauty mirrors that are illuminated. Garage door openers, auto dimming mirror. Multiple cup holders. Center panel large enough for small cooler.Dual oil cooler for 6 sped transmission. 5.7 engine with flex fuel. Rear view mirror, powered mirrors and windows including rear window which can be lowered completely. Powered drivers seat, rear seat adjusts manually and has fold down arm rest and cup holder. MP3 input, CD, radio, Bluetooth, Sirius. Front headlights have electronic up and down controls. Exceptionally clean, one owner actual mileage under 5000 miles. Big, black, powerful and like new."

Extremely Gorgeous Truck

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive,"

Cons: "Terrible in fuel consumption"

"Extremely Gorgeous Truck but not as they say in fuel efficient. the advertise city 14MPG. barely makes 10MPG even when it's new. HIghway never exceeded 13MPG. other than fuel issue one of the best in the market"

Excellent truck, performance and ride a great.

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

Pros: "Price, resale value, great ride and performance."

Cons: "No heavy duty options."

"This is my second Tundra and both have been exceptional vehicles. Performance is excellent, I tow an enclosed trailer and utility trailers; the vehicle has no problems with trailering on steep hills and handles heavy trailering loads without any problems. The ride is excellent and I have experienced no problems with either of the two Tundra's owned. The gas mileage is satisfactory, of course I would like better mileage, but with 381 horsepower you can't have everything. I would recommend the Tundra for towing up to about 11,000 lbs. Hopefully Toyota will follow Nissan's lead and consider a diesel motor and it would be nice to have options for a 3/4 ton or even heavier trucks. Performs more like a 3/4 ton truck than a 1/2 ton."

Great work truck

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Beautiful and comfortable ride."

Cons: "Extra long bed is difficult to park some places."

"This Tundra has it all. Extra long (8 foot) bed will hold full sheets of plywood with the tailgate closed. Snugtop cap in matching color (Cobalt Blue or Blue Ribbon paint). Crew max four door cab with premium sound system with in dash multi CD changer and JBL speakers. Front and rear parking warning system (Sonar). Very clean inside and out, runs great, lots of power in the 5.7 L V8 engine. Receiver hitch and tow package. A beast of a work truck!"

Great truck with very few minor issues

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "Great in the back country, great visibility,"

Cons: "Poor mileage, noisy suspension"

"I'm surprised Toyota can't get better mileage out of a Tundra today. Their local dealership is outstanding in all areas of service and other brands of vehicles should take lessons. I love the Toyota brand and 3 of my 4 immediate family members drive them. These should exceed 20 mpg and I hope Toyota gets this improved very quickly."

Tundra Crew Max Limited TRD

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "its all personel taste"

"I had 2 Sequoias a 2008/2010 Platinum's and this Tundra an Excellent truck. I am in my 58th new vehicle, I enjoy driving this more than my Mercedes ,Smooth and quiet very comfortable, very powerful. I went to the car show to see all the trucks and I had to get a 2013 Toyota instead of a 14 due to the body style change ,they lost me on that one ,If I wanted a gm I would have got one"

Excellent interior design

By on Friday, December 26, 2014

Pros: "Dependability, easy access controls"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Only downside is the gas mileage, but what do you expect from a large, powerful full size truck. I love how convenient the interior controls are to reach and adjust. And you cannot beat that Toyota dependability. Great vehicle!"

Seriously great!

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, turning radius, towing, visibility, power"

Cons: "Bump rear window control button with knee."

"This Crewmax has exceeded my expectations. A daily driver over my wifes car. A 10,000 lb camp trailer hauler in steep terrain without a single hesitation. Bench seating for six people on several 1,500 mile trips was just fine. Gas mileage is 15 to 17 year around. Back country muddy roads are no problem. Visibility is great and the back up camera makes for hooking up a breeze. The turning radius impresses everyone that rides with me. I would buy another one if anything happens to my truck."

Don't buy!

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Starts!"

Cons: "Bad exhaust drone!"

"My truck came with a horrible exhaust drone. Have spent over $500 to date to help eliminate the drone. Was giving me migraines and nausea. Dealer said they were all like this so Toyota did not see it as a problem. Told me to go away and not come back. Toyota knows about the problem. Have told over 30 people not to buy a Tundra. Next thing to do to deal with drone is sound absorbing undercoat or trade in and take a bath on the trade in. Again, don't buy a Tundra. Last note, cup holders won't hold a regular coffee cup, only tapered coffee mugs."

Solid Choice for consumer looking for reliability

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "15 Cup Holders, Sounds Great, Chicks Dig It"

Cons: "Large Trailer Hitch, Size around town, Gas Guzzler"

"I have had this truck for 5 months now, and put roughly 8000 miles on it. I have taken it on 300 mile road trips and around town. It does great on the highway, however gas mileage drastically decreases from 55 to 70 MPH. Around town, the 5.7 Liter V8 is quick off the line. After towing a 4500 lb. boat around (more than 3,000 more than the limit), the truck showed no fatigue or problem. It did struggle, but that should be expected after nearly quadrupling the max. towing. The hitch receiver is very large, and I had to buy an extra large locking pin in order for it to fit. However Toyota has placed the connections for trailer lights above integrated into the bumper as to not rip out cords when you are off roading and rocks are hitting your bumper. The Limited interior is well laid out, providing lots of leather and wood trim. And holy cow! The back seats are massive! My 6'7" 270 pound uncle fits in the back no problem at all! The legroom is incredible. One thing to improve on in the back is that the air conditioning takes a while to reach all the way back, as there is only one small vent for all three back seats while there are 4 vents for the front seats. The rear seats fold up, and the large back door allows you to easily take in and out large, heavy objects. One thing that I wish toyota had put on the truck is an under hood light, as that would have significantly increased the ease of checking your engine (as if you were to ever break down - this truck doesn't do that) at night. The adjustable headlights allow you to not blind the driver in front of you at night when you have 4500 pounds of weight dragging the back end down. The humongous center console could hold a small adult inside of it, and has a charging port inside. The entune navigation system is very user friendly and easily allows you to input destinations, change radio stations, and change vehicle settings. The refreshed exterior is tasteful, but does not show off. The tailgate of the truck is a easy lift and lower tailgate, and you can take if off in 45 seconds. I've timed myself :-). Cup Holders are in no short supply - there are 15 of them. Everything is removable from the truck with some basic tools, so you can add accessories and clean certain bits. I have taken the front and rear seats out several times already to clean the interor of the truck really well. The rear power sliding window (by the way, it it the whole window that slides down, not just a small square of window) drastically improves the airflow through the truck when the windows are down. Despite all the upsides, it is a bit of a lumber bus around town since it is as wide as is legal in the US and is plenty long with the crew cab. Bottom line, I would absolutely reccommend this truck to anyone and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Not to mention, I can run it to ten million miles with just oil changes because its a Toyota!"

I fell very safe in my Rock Warrior.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Safety. Price. Comfort. Handling. Torque. Fun!"

Cons: "Need a lock on gas cover or cap."

"I purchased my Rock Warrior because of it's stats for safety. I am impressed by it's ride and comfort. Most new vehicles the seats dip down' the Tundra are 'flat' and adjustable. Also, the back of the seat is a fantastic height for tall people and do not 'force' you into a 'C' position whereas your shoulders are forced forward. The MPH is not bad for such a large engine. I just pulled a near 8000 lb. older trailer for my son to Texas from Vermont. Yes, the fuel bill was high... but with the tow package; the Rock Warrior was stupendous regarding stability. All I am waiting for is for Toyota to come out with a diesel engine of their own or the Cummings."

overall great truck

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "fast,strong,reliable,nice looking"

Cons: "on the 08, none really"

"I wish they kept all the same features in the limited. now i would have to buy a platinum just to get most of the features i have in my limited. problem is platinum only comes in a crewmax with a shorter bed! Also, the 14's feel cheap inside compared to GMC and Dodge. Sadly, this is why i will not be purchasing a new Tundra. My 08 is a great truck with no real issues."

luxury vehicle disguised as work truck

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "toyota quality"

Cons: "none after 7 1/2 years of ownership"

"although there have been a number of recalls, we did not have any issues. our only repairs were common maintenance. another fine vehicle from Toyota & assembled in texas by AMERICANS."

Mecanical Design Flaw

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "Drives great--very confortable lots of power"

Cons: "unreliable--design flaw that Toyota will not fix"

"These vehicles have a design flaw 2010-2013 models. The seals blow out prematurely on the power steering racks which they changed design/vendors in 2010. Mine just went out at 62k miles and it is $3100 to fix--I looked it up and there are numerous reports of this same problem. It is widespread and systemic. Toyota has done nothing to remedy the situation."

Excellent truck

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Powerfull, Great ride"

Cons: "MPG. But was not my conern on a truck."

"This is my second pick up truck. The first one was a Ford, good truck but had to trade it in for a family car. I was in the market for a pick up truck again in 2011 and my first instinct was to go with Ford. Fortunately, Ford did not have what I wanted (low inventory). Went to test drive the Tundra and was quite surprised at the ride. I decided this was the truck I want and closed the deal."

greaaaat vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"I bought it new and never had to take it back to the dealer for anything, Love it. Wish they built a 3/4 ton HD."

Great truck, but a couple of concerns

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"I bought the Tundra new and have enjoyed driving it. I use it mostly for commuting, but it has seen plenty of use hauling lumber, drywall, dirt and gravel. The truck still looks great after six years and I plan on keeping it for several more years. Here are the low points/concerns: 1. Front brake discs look sturdy, but they still warped after only 22,000 miles. I had them turned and installed new pads, but that only bought me another 10,000 miles. I upgraded to after market, grooved rotors and get better braking performance with no issues after almost 30,000 miles of use 2. Front bearings rusted and needed replacing at about 45000 miles. The dealer did the work for free, but COME ON TOYOTA, what gives? 3. Seems to be a frequent issue in that the Anti Pollution pump failed at 55,000 miles. Once more, the dealer did the work free of charge; good thing because the darn parts cost about $2000. Things like the bearings and the pump concern me about keeping the vehicle for the long term as they're now out of warranty, but I'm going to stick with the truck for now"

Powerhouse

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "Power and Torque"

Cons: "Feeding the kitty"

"This is a strong truck and not for little girls. A lot of torque and 381 horses to match. Don't be fooled, it likes to drink (gasoline) but if you want power, comfort, reliability, and power (I know I said it twice), this is a truck for you. Be careful; black, scratches easily and shows dirt readily, but it is beautiful when it is clean and freshly waxed. This truck rides well and is comfortable in the two front bucket seats. The radio (JBL) cranks and the memory stick interface lets you put your own music into the system seamlessly (on a memory stick- MP3). The back seating area has plenty of room (even at 6'5) and your knees don't touch the back of the front seat."

First truck and best truck I have owned

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "price was right"

"Exceeded all expectations. Retired and purchased to haul boat and fishing kayak. Enough power, adequate gas mileage towing."

Good value + It is a Toyota .

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

"This is my third Tundra. Previous Years 2006 Limited 4x4, 2008 SR5 Double Cab and the current 2012 4x4 limited that forms the basis for this review. I will start with the few items that are negatives for me. 1.) Gas Mileage is not that great app. 16-18 on the freeway on average freeway commute 40 miles which translates to about an 90 minutes for a 40 mile commute. 60 mph no traffic app. 19-20 mpg. I knew in advance about the gas mileage so I should not complain but something to consider with the 5.7 motor. 2.) It is a big truck and wide so city driving and parking can be a challenge, but when is it not. 3.) Rear shocks seemed to wear somewhat sooner than one would expect. Would I purchase the same truck again ? . No question about it I would and I am sure my next truck will be a Toyota Tundra. The truck rides and handles very well, plenty of room and all the features I could wish for. Looks great and very comfortable and I have had a lot of positive feedback about the truck. For me perhaps the number one consideration for my purchase was reliability and I have owned Toyota's for 23 years and guess what I have never had (1) mechanical problem. Routine maintenance, battery here and there brakes, etc, etc, . But, I know when I put the key in the ignition it will start and 23 years of reliable trouble free driving has been pretty nice. Thanks Toyota."

Best Vehicle I ever owned!!

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, Handing, 23 MPG with the 4.0 V6, Love It!"

Cons: "Computer Readout, Placement, No Rear Seat Vents."

"In six years of ownership, with 49k miles on the clock... And, No Repairs Of Any Kind..! One Battery, and one set of Tires, Oil & Filter changes, and one change of Engine Coolant... I could not be Happier! There are only a few minor design & comfort issues to mention: The Computer display, on the top, center of the dash, is very difficult too read, in Daylight... All Buttons, Switches, and Dials, should be illuminated, they are not! And, All Double & Crew Cabs, should have rear seat Heating-A/C Vents/Controls, Please!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tundra CrewMax near Honolulu. See local deals