• Editors' Page: 2014 Pickup Trucks
2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Consumer Reviews

Is that a bell I hear? School's In Session...

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "Size defying handling, accel, braking, Roomy."

Cons: "Thirsty, visibilty issues, Cheap plastic pieces."

"For a relatively new entry into the full size truck game, the Toyota has definitely raised the bar for the old guard. I have the 2011 Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4 with the 5.7L and 6 speed with the tow package and the 4.30 axle ratio. This Truck is wicked fast to me and my other car(s) are a Challenger R/T Hemi and a Hemi Grand Cherokee. From a stand still to about 80 mph I doubt either could put much distance on the Tundra and they weigh in at 1000-1200 lbs lighter. The Tundra rides and drives like a big Lexus even with the TRD Off Road Tires and suspension. I agree with the other reviewers that the visibility could be better and the back-up camera should be standard. Mine does not have it and backing up is a anxiety producing endeavor. I only have 7200 miles on mine in 15 mons but not a hiccup or incident so far. Of the three vehicles, the Tundra is always my first choice even though it is a thirsty beast. However, not as thirsty as the Hemi Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 which is 800 pounds lighter and only has a 3.73 axle ratio. The Jeep avgs 10-12 mpg city/14-16 Hwy to the Tundra's 13-14 city/17-18 Hwy. The cabin space is vast compared to the other two, and the seats are like Barcaloungers... Also, the 2 years free maintenance on the Tundra is a wallet relief after the $100 plus oil changes on both Hemi's with thier 8+ quarts of OMG expensive synthetic oil. Not to mention the amazingly quick Toyota service compared to the tortise slow Chrysler service. I guess the Chrysler techs are so busy with warranty issues that fast oil changes are not high on their list of priorities? As the old saying goes, "Nothing is perfect" but the Tundra (in my opinion) sure gets a lot closer to perfection than most of it's competition. Or, to be less critical of the competition, I will say that Toyota gets a lot more right than they get wrong. On the highway and even on secondary roads the Tundra seems to shrink in size to a midsize vehicle. The steering is very precise and the handling is excellent when you consider the almost 3 tons of real estate you are hurling across the asphalt on 4 little rubber donuts. The spacious and airy cabin along with the lack of wind and road noise and the smooth solid ride and good road manners makes long distance travel in the Tundra almost painless. Navigating small city streets in heavy traffic, or parking in small tight parkings spaces, not so much. In this area, I think all full size pickups become less of a joy and more of a pain to drive so that is not a flaw of the Tundra but a flaw of all big vehicles in general. However, I don't think all full size trucks share the Tundra's car like driving and handling attributes. Some trucks drive and handle like a truck. Which to me means clumsy, imprecise handling, and unpleastant surprises when vehicle is asked to change direction quickly or change direction while braking or God forbid, braking, changing direction, and hitting a bump or two in the road all at the same time."

Best truck on the market.

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

"The Tundra is a great, very well rounded pickup. I handles like a car, it's very powerful, it has a very easy to live with interior, it's also a great value. If you compare a $40k F150 to $40k Tundra, you'll find you're getting much more for the money. You'll also get Toyota dependability. I use my truck for my business daily. Over 80% of it's mileage is towing and/or stop and go driving. It still runs perfect with over 100k miles. I've not had any problems with the truck."

Best truck I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

"This is my 2nd Tundra after trading my first Tundra in for a Chevy. The first generation Tundra was too small a truck for what I needed, but it was great for what it was. The Chevy did have more room and power, but I was shocked at what an unreliable monster it was. It really made me sad about giving up my Toyota. After numerous issues with the Chevy, and seeing the 2007 Tundra come out, I decided to get back into a Tundra. The truck now has over 75000 hard miles and not one problem. It's easily the best truck I've ever owned. If Toyota decides to make a 1 ton Tundra, I'm read to buy it."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted

I'd like to receive useful tips, tools and resources via email from Kelley Blue Book.