• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1455 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

My third Tacoma/Hilux since 1981 still the Best!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, great resale value"

Cons: "Huge blind spots, very limited options,colors,etc."

"I've owned Toyotas and Hondas since 1981 and my Toyoyta pickups have been the best. Granted I've been a ASE certified mechanic on cars/light trucks since then and now in the heavy truck market for the past 15 years but I've been around alot of vehicles and Toyotas have been the best built and engineered vehicles period.They have always looked good and road well and maintained their value better than just about any manufacturer. I love the Tacoma for its size and pep,it's very nimble. Now some things bug me about them, like blind spots---have the engineers actually driven these things? It's time to buy another Tacoma but with 189,000 miles it's just starting to show signs of wear and my son will be using it,next with a trip to the eastcoast and I know he will have no problems. Speaking from experience--Regular Maintenance is essential-- even a YUGO could last longer if you take care of it."

Excellent truck

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"This toyota truck #4 for me. All have been great. This one, with the v6, trd, 4wd access cab and 5 speed auto is excellent. I tow a 3500 lb travel trailer and the truck handles it very well. So far at 35K I have never had to return for a warranty issue. Good mileage for the power/performance. Smooth, quiet and comfy without being too big. Just right really. Highly recommended."

Simply the Best

By on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

"The Tacomas are simply the best. This is my third in 35 years and they have never failed to impress. The 2011 truck is definately larger than my 2003 and the gas mileage is a little lower but the standard 4 cylinder works just fine for most business. Just had an 18 inch snow storm and with a little weight in the back the truck was like a tank. These trucks are every outdoor young mans dream and every hunter and fisherman in the country should own at least one in their life. I do not believe that I have ever done anything but oil changes and tires to the previous two. Maybe an EPA sensor change but that was it. They are rugged but still get you where you need to go when you need to get there in relative comfort. They are simply the best."

07 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD SR5

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"Initially very happy with my truck, handles nice and for the most part gets decent gas mileage. However, the sheet moulded composit bed is not as tough as the dealership said it was, and the lack of d-rings on the front of the bed limit its use(can't tie down my 600lb motorcycle). Also the lack of a lip of the bed did not allow me to initially use my Track Rack system, however they came out with adapters for the rails. The rail system is a good idea, but poorly executed. The 2.7 four cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual feels underpowered, and going up hills even empty on the highway feels bogged down unless you have a good running start. On the happier side, the cab is much more spacious than older tacoma's, and parents will like the accessability of a four door cab for car seats and cargo."

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"Roomy, powerful....nice all the way around. I have the 2006 TRD Off Road, 4 door. Seats are extreamly confortable. (Back seat included) Gas milage is a little low, but acceptable. Only owned it for a year, but I don't see any problems coming around. Best truck I have ever owned."

Another Reliable Tacoma

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pros: "Runs great, reliable, great entertainment system"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"A really good truck, love the looks and the interior layout. Plenty of little places to stash things. A comfortable ride, especially as speed increases. Miss a sun/moon roof, tho. The biggest drawback is the gas mileage. For a 2WD 6-cylinder, it only gets 15-16 around town, and best I've ever gotten (on the highway) was 20.6 mpg and that was once. The sticker says 17-21, but only rarely hit 17 (usually driving mostly highway), and never gotten 21 or better. I absolutely love the truck except for the gas mileage."

Good truck. 200,000 miles and very few issues.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Good value."

Cons: "Access cab not usable."

"This has been a good truck overall. Good value considering the cost of most full size trucks now days. Have had some issues with the electrical though; heat went out, speedometer has gone out, etc. But it was and still is a very reliable vehicle with no major issues to report. The access cab is small and cannot really hold extra passengers."

Never a problem

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, strong, handsome, desireable. Like me."

Cons: "4-WD is for 5mph only."

"Bought this 2007 Tacoma new. My first pickup. I prefer a softer ride, but honestly, I could probably change out the shocks etc - but a rougher ride is what I'd expect in a truck. It's not THAT rough. I've never had any trouble other than the dashboard light for tire inflation comes on every few months, and each time has proven to be a faulty alert switch."

My 07 taco truck

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

"Love this truck! ,owned it 3 years, not a single problem yet. handles very well, nice ride for a truck, wife prefers driving it over her 08 saturn aura. fun driving in the twisty stuff. did the tail of the dragon 3 times, kept up with sports cars, and surprised lots of full sized pickups going up the steep mountains, Left many a v-8 in its dust! This thing will go, especially for a 4 cylinder !! Has a good solid feel on the road at speed, Dont like the bench seat much, too short for proper leg support, need to find some bucket seats, Average around 25 mpg.. and i run the thing hard most of the time. I highly recommend this Toyota , it is a very good value."

This is my fourth Toyota.

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Price, service, dependability, ride comfort"

"This vehicle, outside of normal maintenance, has given me basically no mechanical problems since I purchased it new from the lot. Even after this many years of service, I love it just as much now as the day I purchased it. My four toyota's that I have owned, and still own one, have all been basically service free outside of the basic maintenance."

Great truck. Great traction in all conditions.

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Solid plastic bed."

Cons: "No tie downs on front end of bed."

"Great truck! Very good traction in all conditions. Never had a major problem with anything on it."

Vibrates, cheap paint, hard starting

By on Sunday, May 05, 2013

Pros: "Looks Nice"

Cons: "Everything else"

"Vibrates, cheap paint, hard starting at times, lots of road noise, cheap tires"

Dont think I would purchase another one- 2007 TRD

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "@ 6'3" & 190 lb seat moves back real far"

Cons: "See below"

"Just had the outside temp replaced, wheels won't come off with out sledge, you will not be able to change a tire on the road. Paint on hood started to flake a year ago and now 2 hand size areas are gone. Toyota will not help in repair Air bag sensor had to be replaced, Toyota finally paid for it after I had it fixed 2 years ago Radio volume control bad. Am going to replace with quality aftermarket with USB"

Best truck I have ever owned

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

"I bought this truck new in 2005. I have never had trouble of any kind in 7 years of driving it. Tires and battery are the only things I have had to replace. I would buy another if this one would ever stop, but I don't see that happening any time soon."

Best vehicle I have ever owned !!

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "Solid , Powerful engine , reliable , awesomness !"

Cons: "A little thirsty on gas ,stock shocks lame .."

"Bought the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner in 2005 ,been a solid ,trouble free vehicle and we have taken it many trips all over the States and Mexico . Zero problems and even some friends have bought some after being in mine . Tacomas hold value really well and even after brutal Mexico roads still looks and runs like new .Easier to drive and park than my Ford F150 trucks , just the right size . Add Billstien shocks to help the handling .There are many on the road and for good reason.. Highly recommended truck ! Thanks"

Wouldn't buy anything except Toyota

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Cons: "turn ability bad, lousy radio, not VG mpg"

"I have owned Toyota for over 25 years and they have proved to be comfortable, efficient, and reliable. I have recommended Toyota severaltimes."

I love this truck

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, room behind the seats, sleek"

Cons: "The seats are connected"

"I have had this truck for a few years now, and it is great. The best thing about it is the gas mileage,I never have to fill up and it holds a lot of gallons. With my style the only thing that is a downfall is that my driver and passenger seat are connected so its hard for taller people to be my passenger. Everything else I LOVE."

Dependable, High Quality Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, towing capacity, suspension"

Cons: "Short bed (should have gone long bed)"

"This is a great, mid-sized truck. I have been very pleased with everything about this vehicle. I wish that i would have had the extra cash to get the 4x4 option when I bought my Tacoma new in 2006, but I have never really "needed" it. The interior is a bit dated by today's standards and it doesn't have all the nice options that many vehicles do, but if that is what you are looking for, you probably don't have need for a truck that can perform as a TRUCK. I have used this truck to haul large camp trailers, utility vehicles, and boats. Never once had a problem. I can easily maintain 70mph on the freeways, and barely notice the pull when going up steep mountain grades. And I am not talking small, local area trips, I am talking about 1000 mile trips to Yellowstone, all over the Cascade Range in the west, and a long-haul trip from New Mexico to Washington. This truck never disappoints."

Luv it, luv it, luv it

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "Great for camping, high clearance"

Cons: "A little noisy in the cab, until soundproofed"

"Drive a lot. It has a camper shell and I go camping. Had sound proofing in the cab because I listen to audio books. It gets just a hair under 20 MPG. I do regular 5K maintenance oil/tires. No unusual repairs. Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - PreRunner 2006."

great little truck

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "fun truck"

Cons: "space and power"

"could use more power but a great truck."

Great looks, amazing performance and reliability

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Strong acceleration, very reliable."

Cons: "The seats are too high, rips many jeans!"

"I've owned my 2006 Tacoma for six years. I put every mile on this amazing vehicle. from the 1st, to the 98,000th. Its a work horse through mud, sand, snow and the LA traffic. Great for camping (the auxiliary outlet in the back is amazing when needed). Great for moving big objects, not so great when everyone else needs big objects to be moved. Cleans up very nicely. Its powerful V6, 4.0 engine will get you where you need to be, without the heartbreak at the pump. No complaints from my guests who sit in the back, as they have plenty of leg space. The stadium style seating in the back allows your passengers to be involved in the trip, unlike other cars that force you to only see the seat in front of you. I recommend this truck to anyone who is interested in a small to medium sized truck."

no problems whatsoever from purchase to date 2012

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cons: "bench seat"

"No problems whatsoever from purchase in 2005 to 2012. Excellent quality, great gas mileage,great suspension, very good value."

Best Vehicle to Date

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

"I have had this truck for over four years now and it is the most reliable and comfortable truck I have ever owned. I can't imagine buying anything else once I am done with this one."

Great Truck

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Just AMAZING"

Cons: "Less plastic would be nice"

"Amazing Truck, we have a 4x4 TRD Off-Road, drives like a sedan, gets great gas mileage (around 22 to 25) on Highways and is great in snow and on ice due to the 4x4. I would buy it again."

Runs like new at almost a quarter million miles

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

"This is my work and play truck.I tow 1500-2500 lbs.often.I have the original battery.I replaced wheel bearings and a caliper.Going for 300k next."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals