• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1455 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

My third Tacoma/Hilux since 1981 still the Best!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, great resale value"

Cons: "Huge blind spots, very limited options,colors,etc."

"I've owned Toyotas and Hondas since 1981 and my Toyoyta pickups have been the best. Granted I've been a ASE certified mechanic on cars/light trucks since then and now in the heavy truck market for the past 15 years but I've been around alot of vehicles and Toyotas have been the best built and engineered vehicles period.They have always looked good and road well and maintained their value better than just about any manufacturer. I love the Tacoma for its size and pep,it's very nimble. Now some things bug me about them, like blind spots---have the engineers actually driven these things? It's time to buy another Tacoma but with 189,000 miles it's just starting to show signs of wear and my son will be using it,next with a trip to the eastcoast and I know he will have no problems. Speaking from experience--Regular Maintenance is essential-- even a YUGO could last longer if you take care of it."

Excellent truck

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"This toyota truck #4 for me. All have been great. This one, with the v6, trd, 4wd access cab and 5 speed auto is excellent. I tow a 3500 lb travel trailer and the truck handles it very well. So far at 35K I have never had to return for a warranty issue. Good mileage for the power/performance. Smooth, quiet and comfy without being too big. Just right really. Highly recommended."

Simply the Best

By on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

"The Tacomas are simply the best. This is my third in 35 years and they have never failed to impress. The 2011 truck is definately larger than my 2003 and the gas mileage is a little lower but the standard 4 cylinder works just fine for most business. Just had an 18 inch snow storm and with a little weight in the back the truck was like a tank. These trucks are every outdoor young mans dream and every hunter and fisherman in the country should own at least one in their life. I do not believe that I have ever done anything but oil changes and tires to the previous two. Maybe an EPA sensor change but that was it. They are rugged but still get you where you need to go when you need to get there in relative comfort. They are simply the best."

07 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD SR5

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"Initially very happy with my truck, handles nice and for the most part gets decent gas mileage. However, the sheet moulded composit bed is not as tough as the dealership said it was, and the lack of d-rings on the front of the bed limit its use(can't tie down my 600lb motorcycle). Also the lack of a lip of the bed did not allow me to initially use my Track Rack system, however they came out with adapters for the rails. The rail system is a good idea, but poorly executed. The 2.7 four cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual feels underpowered, and going up hills even empty on the highway feels bogged down unless you have a good running start. On the happier side, the cab is much more spacious than older tacoma's, and parents will like the accessability of a four door cab for car seats and cargo."

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"Roomy, powerful....nice all the way around. I have the 2006 TRD Off Road, 4 door. Seats are extreamly confortable. (Back seat included) Gas milage is a little low, but acceptable. Only owned it for a year, but I don't see any problems coming around. Best truck I have ever owned."

Another Reliable Tacoma

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pros: "Runs great, reliable, great entertainment system"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"A really good truck, love the looks and the interior layout. Plenty of little places to stash things. A comfortable ride, especially as speed increases. Miss a sun/moon roof, tho. The biggest drawback is the gas mileage. For a 2WD 6-cylinder, it only gets 15-16 around town, and best I've ever gotten (on the highway) was 20.6 mpg and that was once. The sticker says 17-21, but only rarely hit 17 (usually driving mostly highway), and never gotten 21 or better. I absolutely love the truck except for the gas mileage."

Good truck. 200,000 miles and very few issues.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Good value."

Cons: "Access cab not usable."

"This has been a good truck overall. Good value considering the cost of most full size trucks now days. Have had some issues with the electrical though; heat went out, speedometer has gone out, etc. But it was and still is a very reliable vehicle with no major issues to report. The access cab is small and cannot really hold extra passengers."

Never a problem

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, strong, handsome, desireable. Like me."

Cons: "4-WD is for 5mph only."

"Bought this 2007 Tacoma new. My first pickup. I prefer a softer ride, but honestly, I could probably change out the shocks etc - but a rougher ride is what I'd expect in a truck. It's not THAT rough. I've never had any trouble other than the dashboard light for tire inflation comes on every few months, and each time has proven to be a faulty alert switch."

My 07 taco truck

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

"Love this truck! ,owned it 3 years, not a single problem yet. handles very well, nice ride for a truck, wife prefers driving it over her 08 saturn aura. fun driving in the twisty stuff. did the tail of the dragon 3 times, kept up with sports cars, and surprised lots of full sized pickups going up the steep mountains, Left many a v-8 in its dust! This thing will go, especially for a 4 cylinder !! Has a good solid feel on the road at speed, Dont like the bench seat much, too short for proper leg support, need to find some bucket seats, Average around 25 mpg.. and i run the thing hard most of the time. I highly recommend this Toyota , it is a very good value."

This is my fourth Toyota.

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Price, service, dependability, ride comfort"

"This vehicle, outside of normal maintenance, has given me basically no mechanical problems since I purchased it new from the lot. Even after this many years of service, I love it just as much now as the day I purchased it. My four toyota's that I have owned, and still own one, have all been basically service free outside of the basic maintenance."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals