• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1583 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

SUCH a terrific value!

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "Held value, low operating cost, always reliable"

Cons: "???"

"This little truck has been the most reliable and always-ready vehicle I have owned in my car-buying history of 40 years. I got the 190 hp V6 and 5-Speed for off-roading and towing (up to 5k lb). It has never let me down, even when I overloaded it, climbed hills it should not have gone near and just beat the snot out of it. It has always happily come back for more. I am selling now - only because I got the 12 years newer version of the same truck from Toyota - but I am confident it will serve its next owner for at least another 100k miles!"

Hands down the best vehicle I ever owned

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

"Bought the truck new in 97. Spent 3 cold years in New England. Drove to the west coast, sent it to Hawaii. The truck has been to the top of mauna kea(14000 ft.). Sent it to California and drove it 100 miles a day for work. I put 16 x 7 rims on it, the handling is much better. Only basic maintenance ,oil,filters,tires,brakes, wipers, and 1 battery. The only time it didn't start was when the battery died, I pushed it, pop the clutch and went straight to buy a new one. It's not fancy but super reliable. Now I have a company truck so I don't drive it much. 210000 miles still runs like a champ and people still ask me to sell it. But if I did my 14 year old daughter would kill me. The only car I ever bought new and it will stay in the family for a long while."

most reliable well-built vehicle I've owned

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "reliable, solid, holds its value"

"I bought my truck in 2004. It's approaching 120,000 miles and running on all original parts except new belts and brakes. It has been a dream to take care of. I do all the regular maintenance myself - everything is easily accessible. The truck is easy on tires and the 4x4 option handles any situation the weather can throw at it. On average I get 20 mpg."

running strong, great mpg's

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

"312,000 miles and even the auto trani is holding up yet, get great mpg's for a 4x4, light enough to nut get stuck put powerfull enough with the ect power to hold up to the big trucks, all around a great veheicle"

Excellent Truck!

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Worth the extra you pay for a Toyota"

Cons: "Cost a few thousand more than a Nissan"

"Beside changing the oil, I only had to fix the air conditioning for $800 for the last 14 years. Awesome Truck."

Very dependable utility pickup

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Economical to own"

Cons: "Lousy turning radius!"

"Only one significant repair during twelve years I have owned it. Right rear wheel seal break and leaking axle oil (grease) necessitated seal replacement and brake repair . . Approx $800. Two items of minor concern. I see no need for locking door over gas filler cap AND it takes about 40 acres to turn. Will not turn sharply enough for some tight parking lots"

The Truck That Won't Quit

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, plenty of power per lb"

Cons: "Small, no power windows"

"I'm the second owner of this truck. I've put over 100,000 miles on it. hopefully I'll be able to put another 200K on the odometer. I've put this truck through everything. Hauling boat trailers, moving appliances, loading 6 buddies in the back and driving up a mountain. I get a solid 25 mpg, average, and the 2.4cyl just keeps eating up what I give it. Other than standard preventative maintainance, this truck hasn't required any major replacement parts and doesn't feel like it will anytime soon. Tacomas are built to last."

Excellent truck!

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "good MPG, handle well, easy to work on, dependable"

Cons: "somewhat sparse interior"

"The Tacoma is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It is fun to drive and handles well. The 2RZ motor is easy to work with/overhaul- though you should be able to get 250k plus miles out of it with little to no problems. This truck was well-thought out and performs excellently. It gets great gas mileage for a truck, and despite being a small truck, it can hold a substantial amount of weight in the bed. I run loads of scrap metal weighing on average 800-900 pounds, and the truck hardly squats an inch. They hold value extremely well due to their longevity/dependability. I love this truck, and would definitely recommend it to anyone."

1997 toy. truck

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"I have own my truck from day one in 1997 and the truck just keeps on going and going.====I could never ask for anything more.====This has been one super ride and I just love it.=====mike=====115,000 miles later!"

Best Truck I have owned

By on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Pros: "Great for hauling young kids and all your stuff"

Cons: "Entertainment system works good / no auxillary jac"

"Have taken this from the mountains to the beach and back numreous times in 9+ years. Never had any major problems. Oil changes, Timing belt etc at 100,000 other than that has no problems. I have raised two young kids in the back seat. Definitely need bed extender for stuff like plywood sheets. Handles every day hauling and moving furniture great. I have never towed anything with it so I can't comment on it. Gas mileage isn't awesome 16-18 mpg in town and max 20 mpg on highway, but way better than a bigger trucks."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals