• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck
2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

Best vehicle Ive ever owned

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I have an '01 Prerunner ExtraCab 3.4L V6 2WD and Ive put 118,000 miles on it in the past 7 years and never had any reliability problems whatsoever. I replaced the timing belt and spark plugs, as well as the front breakpads around 100k miles; but thats just routine maintenance. I got a new set of tires around 55k and 110k miles, I think the Wrangler AT tires I have on it now are very nice for the price (at Sams Club). I use this truck to carry my ATV and it fits snugly in the bed (350 cc is about as large as will fit back there). Im not a mud-a-holic, and I dont try to drive my 2wd truck into mud pits, but I do drive near the mud pits, so I can take my 4wd atv into them. Ive never gotten my truck stuck. Even with 2wd, Ive been able to pull a Dodge Ram Diesel out of the mud. Lightweight trucks have a definite advantage in the muddy terrain of Louisiana. Truck also hauls quite well for its size. This summer I pulled a trailer and bed full of furniture from Chicago to Austin, Texas in a straight drive, no problem. Mileage diped to around 12 or so mpg pulling the trailer, but thats to be expected. Normally mileage runs around 15-16 mpg in the city, around 18 on the hwy. I just put a flowmaster 50 series exhaust on, and put a K&N airfilter on it, so I might see 1-2 mpg better. I highly recommend the flowmaster 50 muffler, great sound, not too agressive fits the truck's personality. The only two drawbacks are fairly ordinary for this kinda truck: 1) it rides like a truck, not uncomfortable but not a luxury smooth ride either. The backseat on the extra cab is not a place a grown man would want to spend any time, but its good for hauling a medium amount of stuff like hunting supplies or groceries. 2) the rear end is very light, and can spin out on you in wet or icy conditions. Main things Id recomend to help that is just take it easy on the gas when in wet/icy roads, and dont accelerate too much into turns when the conditions are lousey. You could lug around 600 lbs of weight in the back to help that, but who wants to do that? Maybe a limited slip diff would help, but I dont have one of those so I couldn't say. Overall, its a great truck. I plan to keep it until it hits at least 200k miles, and I think it'd be nice to hit 250k miles on it, just because 1/4 million miles on a truck is a nice figure. I believe it will get me there."

Daily driver with 190k

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "its worn out already. motor is still ok."

"This truck is dependable and fun to drive. I just wish it wasnt so worn out already. Still good though. Toyota "oh, what a feeling.""

Dependable

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, Great Value!"

Cons: "body trim gaskets come loose on occasion"

"Excellent Toyota model Tacoma 4x4 2002! With regular oil changes, tire rotations and general fluid checks my Tacoma is the most dependable vehicle. Super vehicle for utility and snow travels. Just the best."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted