• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1590 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Best vehicle Ive ever owned

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I have an '01 Prerunner ExtraCab 3.4L V6 2WD and Ive put 118,000 miles on it in the past 7 years and never had any reliability problems whatsoever. I replaced the timing belt and spark plugs, as well as the front breakpads around 100k miles; but thats just routine maintenance. I got a new set of tires around 55k and 110k miles, I think the Wrangler AT tires I have on it now are very nice for the price (at Sams Club). I use this truck to carry my ATV and it fits snugly in the bed (350 cc is about as large as will fit back there). Im not a mud-a-holic, and I dont try to drive my 2wd truck into mud pits, but I do drive near the mud pits, so I can take my 4wd atv into them. Ive never gotten my truck stuck. Even with 2wd, Ive been able to pull a Dodge Ram Diesel out of the mud. Lightweight trucks have a definite advantage in the muddy terrain of Louisiana. Truck also hauls quite well for its size. This summer I pulled a trailer and bed full of furniture from Chicago to Austin, Texas in a straight drive, no problem. Mileage diped to around 12 or so mpg pulling the trailer, but thats to be expected. Normally mileage runs around 15-16 mpg in the city, around 18 on the hwy. I just put a flowmaster 50 series exhaust on, and put a K&N airfilter on it, so I might see 1-2 mpg better. I highly recommend the flowmaster 50 muffler, great sound, not too agressive fits the truck's personality. The only two drawbacks are fairly ordinary for this kinda truck: 1) it rides like a truck, not uncomfortable but not a luxury smooth ride either. The backseat on the extra cab is not a place a grown man would want to spend any time, but its good for hauling a medium amount of stuff like hunting supplies or groceries. 2) the rear end is very light, and can spin out on you in wet or icy conditions. Main things Id recomend to help that is just take it easy on the gas when in wet/icy roads, and dont accelerate too much into turns when the conditions are lousey. You could lug around 600 lbs of weight in the back to help that, but who wants to do that? Maybe a limited slip diff would help, but I dont have one of those so I couldn't say. Overall, its a great truck. I plan to keep it until it hits at least 200k miles, and I think it'd be nice to hit 250k miles on it, just because 1/4 million miles on a truck is a nice figure. I believe it will get me there."

Dependable

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, Great Value!"

Cons: "body trim gaskets come loose on occasion"

"Excellent Toyota model Tacoma 4x4 2002! With regular oil changes, tire rotations and general fluid checks my Tacoma is the most dependable vehicle. Super vehicle for utility and snow travels. Just the best."

Great Truck

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

"Fantastic truck!! I bought it used and never had any problems. Preformed routine maintenance which because of the prerunner package was slightly more than say a regular tacoma, but defiantly worth the extra buck. Its only downfall is the mpg. It has the 4.3L v-6 and my best highway was 20 which isn't terrible, but not great. Mine has over 130k and runs like its brand new. The seats are a little stiff and its a bit tight on the inside which is the only reason I give it a 4 on comfert. Overall it's the best truck I've ever owned out of 3 s-10's, 1 ranger, and a 90 tacoma."

My First Truck

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Cup holder covers heat lever - minor"

"Bought new in 1997 never regreted the buy. Just changed the plugs and wires at 146,000. Bodywork still shines - when cleaned. Changed the oil and filter every 5,000. Hope to get another 146,000."

This truck has been wonderful to me!

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cons: "The driver's seat belt doesn't retract very well"

"I have never had any problems with this truck and will keep it until it will not budge anymore. I recommend the Tacoma to everyone. You will not be disappointed."

This little truck is the best

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "long lasting"

Cons: "no towing capacity"

"This truck has lasted forever with no problems what so ever it will last till 300,000 miles easy and it gets great gas mileage 29 on the highway and 26 in town."

Wolf in sheeps clothing

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "tough, dependable, worry free driving"

Cons: "rides rough, not many options available"

"I have a 2004 Tacoma quad cab v6 with the TRD package, of course its very reliable, but it's amazing how capable it is for a small truck. I am boarder line abusive to this truck and it just doesn't seem to matter. Regular maintenance, tires, batteries, ect. No out of the norm repairs."

A keeper.

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "reliability, durability, flexibility, capabillity"

Cons: "basic, but there's no bells and whistles to break"

"Mine is a no frills version, but it is reliable, easy to drive, gets good enough gas mileage and is one of my top rated."

SUCH a terrific value!

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "Held value, low operating cost, always reliable"

Cons: "???"

"This little truck has been the most reliable and always-ready vehicle I have owned in my car-buying history of 40 years. I got the 190 hp V6 and 5-Speed for off-roading and towing (up to 5k lb). It has never let me down, even when I overloaded it, climbed hills it should not have gone near and just beat the snot out of it. It has always happily come back for more. I am selling now - only because I got the 12 years newer version of the same truck from Toyota - but I am confident it will serve its next owner for at least another 100k miles!"

Hands down the best vehicle I ever owned

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

"Bought the truck new in 97. Spent 3 cold years in New England. Drove to the west coast, sent it to Hawaii. The truck has been to the top of mauna kea(14000 ft.). Sent it to California and drove it 100 miles a day for work. I put 16 x 7 rims on it, the handling is much better. Only basic maintenance ,oil,filters,tires,brakes, wipers, and 1 battery. The only time it didn't start was when the battery died, I pushed it, pop the clutch and went straight to buy a new one. It's not fancy but super reliable. Now I have a company truck so I don't drive it much. 210000 miles still runs like a champ and people still ask me to sell it. But if I did my 14 year old daughter would kill me. The only car I ever bought new and it will stay in the family for a long while."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals