• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1570 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Pros: "Everything I mentioned in my review!"

Cons: "Not 4WD model, CA emissions when I don't need it.."

"I bought this 2002 as a lease trade-in from Tempe, AZ. It was 5 months old with 9,080 miles and in gorgeous condition. It has CA emissions (the only thing I wish it didn't have). I also wish it were 4WD because when I bought it I didnt know I was moving to NW Montana. No one has a 2WD Pre-Runner up here, they are all 4WD, lol. All the same, I've only gotten stuck once in 9 winters. A feature Blue Book doesn't let you select is the locking rear differential, or bug/rock shield...why not? I think that would definitely add value. I love the truck because in the 12 years I have owned it I have had ZERO problems, only routine maintenance. Even at this age, and since I use an outstanding sealant product called Klasse (recommended by a Toyota parts man in CA), the paint is gorgeous except for a few rock knicks (we get winters here!). I keep beefy tires on it to compensate for the 2WD (16" BFG A/T T/A KO 8ply triple-sidewall) and I've never had a flat tire despite all my travels over rough trails. It has been comfortable, reliable, no mechanical problems, most people can't believe its a 2002, my Toyota mechanic says its "excellent" both body and mechanically, I've added a Lund bug(rock)shield sprayed with Onyx, a Westin wrap-around brushguard sprayed with Onyx, had the running boards sprayed with Line-X, the entire bed/tailgate and 1" over the rails was sprayed with Vortex right after I bought it and still no sign of deterioration. No rust. Structurally sound and connections tight. It still gets BETTER than the gas mileage stated when new, even though its loaded down with a 200lb camper shell, a huge dog crate with heavy mat, a 90lb dog and a few hundred pounds of supplies. I've gotten 24mpg on highway trips, loaded like that, instead of 18 when new. I usually get 16-18 around town, instead of 15 when new. My last truck was black, so I didn't want a white truck (the glare hurts my eyes), but it has grown on me. It always looks clean, stays cool in our very hot summer and fall, and with the Klasse protecting it, the paint finish is like glass (plus it lasts 6-8 months, unlike waxing). I've Line-X'd everything important to protect, my brushguard has saved me twice (a big doe and Chevy Tahoe barely tweaked it) so I'm really a happy camper. Like I said, I just wish it was 4WD and didnt have CA emissions, I love the body style, and they are right...the clock is blocked by the right side of the steering wheel but who cares when everything else is AWESOME?!! I can only speak for my experience, but I do believe "Toyotas run forever". I believe in buying USA all the way, but not in this case. You have to get what suits your needs, and having the low maintenance and reliability has meant everything to me. The thought of trading in this truck for a new 4WD Toyota Tacoma makes me sick because I couldn't afford to re-do all the customization I've done to this one! Anyway, 10/10 is my rating after 12 years. Oh, and the reason it has 200,000 miles is because I have done lots of road trips, and have commuted 50+ miles per day for the past 9 years, so its almost all highway miles. I have found that the key to longevity is keeping up on the oil changes, and following Toyota's routine maintenance guidelines. Ok, I could go on longer but...I think you get the picture! Thanks for reading this... :)"

toughest most reliable truck on earth

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "tough fun reliable strong 4wd"

Cons: "rough ride but its a rough truck"

"this truck is very tough reliable and ive taken it through anything about 6 of my friends bought the same truck within a 1 year period of me buying mine"

Great truck

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pros: "good everything"

Cons: "rough ride / bouncy."

"Great truck 265K miles. still going. rough ride sometimes. good in rain. reliable 2.7 litre four cylinder."

Best truck I've Owen ever

By on Thursday, January 15, 2015

Pros: "Love to drive"

Cons: "Weak suspension"

"Great truck weak suspension"

Best truck ever made!

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "dependable,style,affordable"

"Bought this truck new in 2001,it has 108000 miles on it now and it has not had any problems ,no brake downs,it's been perfect,"

100% in sound mechanical cond. Every thing works.

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Dependable and mechnically very sound"

"Well maintained by one owner. Every thing works 100%. See it to believe it."

Love my truck!

By on Monday, January 05, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "not much room for kids"

"Bought this truck used 8 years ago and wouldn't trade it for anything! Had the 85,000 mile service (timing belt, spark plugs, etc.) done in the spring by a Toyota dealership. My truck does a great job in the snow and has moved my stuff more times than I can count. It also holds my four wheeler in the bed like a champ, even with my slimline toolbox. I would only get rid of my truck if I had to, and if I could only keep one of my 3 vehicles, it would be this truck hands down!"

great truck, reliable, good appearance, great serv

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

"Truck has been excellent, value has stayed high and reliability is excellent. Very little maintenance required. Only issue is electronics. Check engine light has been on for years and a new computer brain for $1500.0 is required, so it will stay on. This has not affected the performance but is an annoyance."

nice small truck, reliable

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

Pros: "reliability"

Cons: "not a lot of power"

"extremely Reliable, I change the oil and filter every 5000 have never had a single problem with this truck."

Best Truck I've Ever Had

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Never breaks down"

Cons: "Its not a 2015 Tacoma"

"This is the best truck I have ever owned. It never broke down, always reliable. Great little truck. 140k mi. on it and was still going strong until it was stolen out of my driveway. Found it six days later completely destroyed. It was a sad day. If I could get any other truck I would just want my 2001 Taco back in mint condition because I've never had a truck as good as this one."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals