1999 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1596 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Excellent Truck!

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Worth the extra you pay for a Toyota"

Cons: "Cost a few thousand more than a Nissan"

"Beside changing the oil, I only had to fix the air conditioning for $800 for the last 14 years. Awesome Truck."

Wolf in sheeps clothing

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "tough, dependable, worry free driving"

Cons: "rides rough, not many options available"

"I have a 2004 Tacoma quad cab v6 with the TRD package, of course its very reliable, but it's amazing how capable it is for a small truck. I am boarder line abusive to this truck and it just doesn't seem to matter. Regular maintenance, tires, batteries, ect. No out of the norm repairs."

So thankful I bought this when I did.

By on Thursday, August 13, 2015

Pros: "Great value, extremely reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "You may need a more powerful engine. I don't."

"Right after they built this truck, they broke the mold. Literally. It rolled off the line (at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA) in August, 2004, one of the last before Toyota's redesign. Starting with the 2005 models, Tacomas would be taller, wider, longer, pricier -- but not better. Call me Retro, but I was delighted, when I first climbed into this little red rascal, to find I could still buy a new vehicle with manual transmission, manual locks, windows, outside mirrors -- I mean, it was a real DIY truck for a DIY guy. I didn't quibble over the ABS or the power-assisted brakes and steering, all useful, all unavoidable. I did remark, on the test drive, that I could do without the AC. "Yes, and you could find someone else to ride shotgun", my wife replied. Well, it was August. Eleven years and 100K miles later, this truck, which has hardly seen the inside of a garage, still looks great. It still has all its original parts (including brake pads/linings), except for tires, filters and wiper blades. I've had the front end aligned twice, and I did replace the battery after about eight years. The overall mpg has been a very consistent 22-23 miles. A lot of solo cross-country trips have just made me more appreciative of the comfortable -- but not too comfortable -- bucket seat, the cruise control, and the excellent 6-speaker sound system featuring AM/FM, CD player AND cassette tape player, all stock. My one quibble isn't really a complaint, because I knew what I was buying: a 2.7 liter in-line 4-cylinder engine. Pulling a fully-loaded 8-ft. Uhaul trailer across West Virginia on a rainy night, you might wish you had a tad more oomph. Still, it did the job, as it has through years of house moves and miscellaneous hauling in all kinds of weather. I couldn't replace this machine for three times the Blue Book valuation."

Excellent truck!

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "good MPG, handle well, easy to work on, dependable"

Cons: "somewhat sparse interior"

"The Tacoma is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It is fun to drive and handles well. The 2RZ motor is easy to work with/overhaul- though you should be able to get 250k plus miles out of it with little to no problems. This truck was well-thought out and performs excellently. It gets great gas mileage for a truck, and despite being a small truck, it can hold a substantial amount of weight in the bed. I run loads of scrap metal weighing on average 800-900 pounds, and the truck hardly squats an inch. They hold value extremely well due to their longevity/dependability. I love this truck, and would definitely recommend it to anyone."

best compact truck!

By on Monday, November 12, 2012

Pros: "Value, reliability, durability, capability, looks"

Cons: "jittery ride over rough roads"

"The Toyota Tacoma is probably the best compact truck you could buy. They are known for their reliability and also their off-road capabilities. The engines in the Tacoma are bullet proof if taken care of and will last 100,000's of miles. It is basically average for a 2.7 to reach 300,000 miles. The 3.4 V6 is also a great motor, and its the one I own. My 1996 has only 85,000 miles so it has many years left. I have had to replace two things: An oxygen sensor(expected to go out and a cheap replacement) and the starter motor (not too uncommon for my engine and nothing major). You can't go wrong with a Tacoma and if your looking to buy one you must look at for one thing- frame rust. It is a known problem to affect only certain trucks. But it certainly doesn't affect all of them, its just something to look for near salty conditions."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals