• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

1995 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1540 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Is It Good Enough to Keep?

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. $20,000 was affordable."

Cons: "Likes to be towed. No room for carpoolers."

"Bought my 2000 Certified Pre-owned PreRunner in 2001 with 17K miles on it. Although certified, the driver side visor was broken--something not noticed for several weeks. The back end squeals sometimes. Never know when that will kick in. It goes through batteries. None last for 3 years. First memorable breakdown/tow-in was when spark plugs deteriorated--dealer failed to tighten them. The catalytic converter went bad (bolt fell out?) The Prerunner has dual cats--more expensive to replace. Replaced starter in 2009. Valve work done in 2012 followed by cracked radiator replacement. Water pump relaced along with timing belt. Replaced master cylinder 2014. Lots of brake jobs. I do highway driving mostly, get it serviced on time, expected fewer breakdowns I guess. So far it is better than my two Celicas were. Four strangers have asked to buy it from me. I'd sell it if I knew what to buy instead."

Outstanding truck!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

"My Tacoma has 358,000 miles on the original motor and transmission. I have done standard repairs and preventive maintenance. The alternator is the only part that failed. Most of these miles are mail route miles on rough dirt roads as well. This is one tough truck!"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Great looks, Good gas mileage and very reliable."

"I would have to rate this truck as the best Vehicle i have ever owned. I have been driving over 35 years and have had several vehicles but none of the Vehicle had the reliability as the Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner. Almost zero problems and I have almost 300,000 mile on the truck."

Great Utility Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Extremely reliable and capable work vehicle."

Cons: "None to report."

"I bought the '96 Tacoma in 2001 to use for yard work and it has been the best vehicle investment ever. It sips fuel and doesn't complain on steep grades or with heavy loads. I don't use it much but when I do, it carries a hefty load - except for the Christmas Tree. I have only driven it a few thousand miles in all these years and the one thing that fails is the battery. I have installed a few over the years - they don't last much more than four years when the vehicle is not driven much but it is a second car so, that's the cost of sitting idle. The one thing this truck is not good at is snow covered hills. As a result, mine sits all winter and that is not great for the battery. I was surprised that it was recalled for a rust-through problem that had been an issue in some areas. Since the truck isn't driven in snow and salt, all that was detected was a bit of surface rust. Toyota brushed the surface, coated it in protective undercoating and said it was good as new. Rusted frames were bought back above Blue Book by Toyota. Surprising to have a recall on such an old vehicle. I was given a new loaner car while Toyota was inspecting and coating my truck and found the loaner sedan had the same feel as my truck. The truck drives just like the car! I have owned new Toyota cars in my lifetime and consider them to be extremely reliable. None as old as my truck but that old-timer is very reliable. These days, a manual shift doesn't appeal to me and the suspension is a bit bouncy in its old age. So is my body's suspension. Looking into the future, my 4WD SUV may be traded for a 4WD Tacoma pickup with some creature comforts and an automatic transmission. In summary, the truck is reliable, capable and down right durable. It's a 10."

Fun reliable truck,

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable, excellent mileage for a truck,"

Cons: "not enough power to haul , cab small"

"For a small truck this vehicle does it all. It handles well off road, got great gas mileage on the highway, was great for hauling small toys, moving friends, and doing yard improvements. In 7 years of ownership we only put regular maintenance and a few minor body repairs ( the lights seemed to pop out.) But even these repairs we reasonably prices , especially compared to other foreign made cars."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals