• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,745 - $23,354.

10/7.5

Based on 1416 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

best car I have owned

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "Always dependable"

Cons: "MPG"

"You can't beat a Tacoma. Better gas mileage would be the only thing to improve"

Uncomfortable vehcle

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "Can haul lots of cargo; great off-road capability"

Cons: "No XM; uncomfortable interior"

"For a vehicle that has been in production for 10 years and is so overdue for replacement it isn't funny, this is the most antiquated and uncomfortable vehicle I have owned in recent memory. The seats grab onto you and hold you and if you are not in a comfortable position, good luck. the driver's knee room is poor - I am an average size person and my left knee is trapped against the arm rest / window control console. It takes this vehicle 25 miles of highway driving in the winter to begin to warm up the cab. The year I bought this vehicle, Toyota took a hiatus from offering XM satellite radio- bad news if you like to be entertained. I have not owned a vehicle for the last 20 years that required a spark plug replacement at 30,000 miles - this is archaic."

nice vehicle, bad seats.....

By on Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pros: "rides nice, reliable, off road capable."

Cons: "seats. towing power, milage...."

"Seats are very uncomfortable, especially for trips lasting more than one hour. Towing ability is very inadequate for anything bigger than a small boat or trailer. Mileage is less than ratings, and if you pull anything your milage is going to be 11-12 MPG..."

Best now available

By on Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pros: "Always feel confident"

Cons: "Am sorry there are no more compact trucks"

"Very much miss my 1997 Tacoma. It was all the truck I needed. Compact, reliable, and never failed. A recall had me make a bed decision and take the money. This 2009 Tacoma is very good. Toyota hasn't changed this truck much which some find continuous but is a testament to not fixing something that isn't broken. 2009 lacks many of the new electronics which I find annoying. It maintains high marks in safety features, drive ability, durability, and intuitive controls. It is a decent size truck. The Tundra and others are just over kill for me. This four wheel truck is ready to go when I am. Living in the North East and being on call, know you can answer is paramount. This truck never failed. Always felt safe."

Have owned for 5 years. Best value car I have had

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Cons: "NONE"

"Could not have been better"

Clean and pampered !

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

"This truck, besides the low mileage, is very clean. It has been garage kept. We are moving to a retirement village in Florida and we have no need for a second vehicle. Come and look at it . . .you won't be disappointed."

My second toyota truck

By on Friday, November 21, 2014

Pros: "Value,reliability,Looks good"

Cons: "4 cylindar needs more power, blue tooth bad"

"I really like the truck, good mileage, looks good, fare value. I have the 4 cylinder 4wd, I would like to have a bit more horse power, the blue tooth isn't the greatest. That's it! So far so good!"

Second Tacoma purchase

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Whatever the weather, The Taco will get you there"

Cons: "Not as smooth driving as larger trucks."

"The most reliable truck we have ever owned. Just traded in our 2009 Taco for a 2015 Taco. (I know, we could have driven another 100,000 miles) It has been so reliable in the winter here in Des Moines. From blizzard conditions to severe thunderstorms. I generally don't discuss finances but I received a $21,000 trade in allowance with 80,000 miles in our 2009. WOW! This truck is the best investment out there. Taco fan for life. ( or atleast until we grow out of it.)"

Great Gas milage for a 4 wheel drive Average 22MP

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Good gas milage for a truck"

"Good power and drives well for a truck. Very comfortable on trips. Back seats have very good room."

Best pickup I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 15, 2014

"My 2005 Toyota Tacoma has been an extremely reliable vehicle. Low maintenance. Have only replaced the battery once and had routine servicing done in the 7 years I have owned the truck. Must be why Tacomas hold their value so well. Paid just under $25,000 for it in 2007 as a certified used vehicle. KBB shows current "good" private seller value at $23,200. Won't sell anytime soon!"

Great, nice lookingpickup

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Love this vehicle. Am 75 and feel I no longer have need of a pickup. looking to purchase something smaller. For even up. Such as a soreento ,Equinox, or dodge mini van.. Purchased with 20m miles . Lived in my garage most of the time. Drove trips to the city, and 30 miles 3 days a week to work. Branson several times a year. Tires new, 6 months old."

Great truck...the best for the money.

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "Kind of expensive to buy"

"I have owned all sorts of trucks...Ford F150, Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, etc. and this is the best overall. I am only getting rid of it because I want to upgrade to a 4X4."

An Important Oversight by Toyota

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, nice interior, smooth riding"

Cons: "Instrument cluster poorly engineered."

"I've only had the truck for 1000 miles so can't rate reliability. Ask me again at 50,000 miles. One glaring problem area. The instrument cluster is big, but very difficult to see because it is recessed into the dash and very poorly lighted. If you are wearing sunglasses you have to take them off to read the gauges. Even with them off, the gauges are still very hard to see. Odometer is next to impossible to see. That makes using the trip meters A & B impossible to use. Only other complaint is that the roof line is low, so getting in means you will bump your head once in a while. I'm 6'0" tall, so not a big guy. Other then those two issues, I love the truck. Tons of storage areas. Nice interior. Comfortable to drive. I don't care for the gated shift channels for the automatic shift lever. But, all manufactures do this nowadays to protect themselves from liability when some simpleton bumps into the shift lever and knocks it into drive and crashes into a tree. Based on my experience to date, I'd give the truck high marks."

I bought this last 2005 and still going!

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "durable,reliable"

Cons: "base tacoma, ofcoure you could not tilt the sit."

"I am proud and happy to say that I don't have regrets of buying my Tacoma last 2005. Year 2005 was the first released of 2nd generation tacomas. I got base 2Wd 2 door and next year will be the 10th year. This truck is reliable,mileage friendly, and durable. It has original cluth, original brake pads on the rear. Minor repairs like replacing u-joint,aircon, alternator, ofcourse batteries which I replaced just twice only. If you are in snowy state, I suggest to get 4x4 Tacoma."

Great mid-size pickup

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"Bought the 2014 Toyota Tacoma Sport with long bed 6 months ago. Really like the pickup. Glad we got the long bed, it rides better than the short bed plus more room for hauling. The sport suspension is a little stiff but it corners great. If your looking for a mid-size pickup that you get in start it up and drive, this is the one. Toyota doesn't put a lot of digital touchy stuff on the computer screen like some other auto makers. You just drive and enjoy the Tacoma."

Great Truck!

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Great value, mileage, reliability"

Cons: "Uncomfortable bench seat"

"Fantastic truck!! I went looking for one because they are famous for their reliability and now that the rust issue is fixed, it looked like it was the time to buy. I wasn't disappointed. I wanted a 4 cyl 4WD 5 speed. This truck fit the bill, and then some. It came standard with the touchscreen display, blue tooth, and all weather floor mats. It's not a luxury truck by any stretch of the imagination but it is what I wanted. It warms up quickly, gets AWESOME mileage (I average around 30-31MPG Hwy) and hauls what I need it too. The only complaint I have is the seat. The padding on the bench seat leaves some to be desired and the back of the bench seat is FLAT. To the point where I have to take a break every two hours. However, if the comfort of the bench seat is my biggest complaint, that tells you how great this truck is!!!"

Well taken care of. Regular oil changes and maint

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "Everything is excellent"

Cons: "No cons, bought it new two years ago."

"Must sell due to financial problems. Excellent condition. New tires. Custom Stereo system. GPS built into dash. V6 great mileage. New batter two weeks ago. Roll top bed cover. Bed liner."

Not enough power for weight of truck.

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "Drives great,decent fuel milage."

Cons: "Very weak at highway speeds on hills."

"Very weak at highway speeds when going up long grades"

outstanding 4x4 tacoma extended cab

By on Friday, October 17, 2014

Pros: "will run forever"

Cons: "bad fuel milage"

"I have owned since new 310000 trouble free miles no parts bought except for poor taillight wiring that corrodes easily am on 4th set of brakes and tires still runs as new I am amazed at the durability after my family saw this Toyota is all we buy now this is a honest review the taillights are a sore spot though after paying dealer first time they woudnt repair a second time free of charge so wirenuts and tape fixed it in my backyard a third time"

Great vehicle, reliable, good gas mileage

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "great quality, reliable, good mpg"

Cons: "paint tends to chip a bit easily (too thin)"

"I got rid of my noisy and rust-prone '97 Ford Ranger a year and a half ago, and upgraded to a 2005 Tacoma 4 cyl 2wd manual trans access cab pickup w/shell. Best decision I've made in a while. MPG about 25 mpg overall after switching all oils to Amsoil synthetics. Good power and acceleration for a 4 cyl engine. Toyota even did a free recall-type rust inspection of the underside of the pickup last month, found a few minor rust areas (to be expected on a 9 yr old vehicle in Ohio), and applied a non-hardening oil-based undercoating, valued at $1000 (or so they say) for free. Next pickup, probably 5 or 6 yrs away (as I hold my vehicles pretty long) will likely be another Tacoma, except this time with automatic transmission, as they now get as good gas mileage as the manuals do."

Luv what my 87 Toyota p.up did for me, 489K miles.

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"> My previous Toy p.up 1987 had 489K miles, and never stranded me once in 22 years. Changed the dynamic balance, water pump, and timing chain at 325K. No other engine work was done, just brakes, tuneups, exhaust components, batteries, and windshield wipers. Best vehicle ever owned. The thing I really like about Toyota i was the confidence it gave me that no matter where I went and no matter how remote I was, I knew It would get me home. What I would I like to see changed?. When it rains, you can't hear yourself think, or the radio. It is loud and annoying. Deaden the sound. First wk.I had the vehicle we had a major thunderstorm. When the rain came, it just poured, and it was so loud, I thought maybe Ithe truck was coming apart or some other major malfunction. It really unnerved me. Now, I'm used to it. On the highway truck drifts alot from the wind gusting. Not like the 87 p.up. Another thing I would like to mention is the idling of my truck. It is set to I believe 6700 rpm, and the truck vibrates and is not comfortable. Toyota dealership I go to says it's set right, but is a vibrating pickup right? I have the 4 cylinder engine., same as I had in my 87 pick up."

2nd time around!

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Great truck to own!"

Cons: "none!"

"I bought a 2013 Tacoma. This is the second Tacoma I have owned. The first one was a 2004 and I loved it. In the nine years that I owned it my out of pocket costs were ZERO! I highly recommend this truck!!!!"

great vehicle

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "good vehicle to drive"

"love the fact that it drives very well have some minor issues with recalls-- seat belt-speedometer cable- FRAME RUST but were all taken care of by the dealership will keep this vehicle till the wheels fall off. love the color-comfort and drive."

best truck i ever owned

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "great price for the value of this truck"

Cons: "has cup holders and easy to drive"

"Great truck for everything. love it"

Value, reliability.

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

"Put simply, the best vehicle I have ever owned. Absolutely no issues in the 3+ years I have owned the vehicle. Outstanding in snow with 4wd, smooth in dry conditions in 2wd. I would absolutely recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a midsize truck."