• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1449 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Best Vehicle to Date

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

"I have had this truck for over four years now and it is the most reliable and comfortable truck I have ever owned. I can't imagine buying anything else once I am done with this one."

Great Truck

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Just AMAZING"

Cons: "Less plastic would be nice"

"Amazing Truck, we have a 4x4 TRD Off-Road, drives like a sedan, gets great gas mileage (around 22 to 25) on Highways and is great in snow and on ice due to the 4x4. I would buy it again."

Runs like new at almost a quarter million miles

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

"This is my work and play truck.I tow 1500-2500 lbs.often.I have the original battery.I replaced wheel bearings and a caliper.Going for 300k next."

Great midsize truck

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of power, reliable"

Cons: "Decent gas mileage, not great"

"Great midsize truck, powerful enough to pull small trailer (u-haul). Not difficult to park. Great quality and reliability. Decent gas mileage, not great, 18-22 road."

Close to perfect.

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, handling, simple, reliable, safe"

Cons: "TPS, seal belt monitoring system."

"I've had the two wheel drive version and the four wheel. I currently own the four wheel drive version. This is an excellent, strong, reliable truck. I have never had any issues with it, it's always been able to get me where I need to go. It's literally close to perfect. However, I wish Toyota would leave it like a truck and stop putting junk into it. A few changes I wish they'd make. Take out the seat belt sensor, it's stupid, annoying, and just the dumbest invention ever. Get rid of the Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Any guy who drives a truck doesn't need this, we can figure this out on our own. Meanwhile, all it does is cause a headache. Drop the oil filter a bit, so that those of us who change our own oil have an easier time. A little more room behind the bench seat would be really nice, perhaps 6 inches? I don't like putting tool boxes in the bed because I like to have all that space available, so a little more cab room behind the bench would be great. Last but certainly not least, I would LOVE if Toyota would put a small diesel engine in this truck. It'd give it more power and torque, not to mention even better fuel mileage. Overall, a great truck, but you can tell the folks at Toyota don't drive these trucks, much less use them like one."

Unstoppable 4x4

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

"The truck I have wanted to own my entire life. Pros: Rides nice on road and is a mountain goat off road. Cons: Gas mileage is fair (18mpg), brakes feel soft, and it sounds as though it needs another gear when driving > 65 mph. But it is still a dream to own."

DOUBLE CAB TRD SPORT V6 6 SPEEED 4WD

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "FUEL ECONOMY, COMFORT, VALUE"

Cons: "BEHIND THE TIMES ON AVAILABLE HIGH TECH FEATURES"

"If you're looking for a truck with a full sized bed or a truck with all the gadgets, look elsewhere. I probably would have gone with a loaded down F150 Supercrew if I had another 20k to spend. (I have kids and need the 4 door.) GOOD FUEL ECONOMY - I've gotten up to 24.5 mpg, and average 17 city and 21 highway, considerably better than the sticker. GOOD POWER - I drive up all but the steepest of hills in 6th gear. No, it's not fast. COMFORTABLE SEATING - I'm over 6' tall and plenty comfortable on long trips. My passengers also say they are comfortable. QUIET - Not whisper quiet but raised voices are not required at highway speed. REASONABLE RIDE - Not bad for a 4x4. It won't jar your fillings loose, definitely not like a Cadillac. HANDLING - Good for a truck, but if you drive it like a sports car you'll end up in a tree. It handles loads well. I have not towed with it yet. BRAKES - SEE HANDLING - I don't know why Toyota still puts drum brakes in the rear. TIRES - I have driven trucks with both the Bridgestones and the Goodyears. The braking and handling are both noticeably better with the Bridgestones. TRACTION - EXTRAORDINARY, all weather, even when not in 4 wheel drive. WELL PLACED CONTROLS - I never find myself hunting to find any switch or lever. RELIABLE - It only has 9000 miles on it though. STEREO - I certainly hope you don't buy a truck based on the stereo. Actually it sounds OK. I LOVE THE BACKUP CAMERA!!! COMPLAINTS - My heater blower fan started chirping at low speed. I'll have the dealer fix it on my next service. GET THE RUBBER BED MAT!!! It's the best 80 bucks you'll ever spend. Nothing slides. Everything stays where you left it."

Toyota is Toyota

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"How some people can compare a Toyota with a FORD??? NO WAY!!!!"

Toyota is so darn reliable.

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable"

"Have owned 4 Toyota trucks since 1981, and my wife has owned 2 corolla's and 2 Rav-4's. Except for a few very minor problems along the way, they have been totally reliable. Out of all of my Toyota trucks, the 05 Tacoma I have now has 130,000 miles on it. The only major problems along the way...The A/C pump ceased up at around 65,000 miles, and the brake slave cylinder went bad at around 100,000 miles. I probably would have kept the other Toyota trucks longer, but once the great New York State road salt started eating away the under carriage,it was time to trade them in."

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Solid, stable, powerful fun to drive"

Cons: "I have the JVC stereo not as good as my Audi A6,ha"

"This is my 5th Toyota Tacoma a 2011 SR5, 4 wheel Dr. 4 cyl. My 2004 sold for nearly what I paid for it with 90000 miles. I took a broadside t-bone and never got a scratch. This truck is as good as it gets. Hunting fishing and hauling excellent. Extra doors excellent and can seat 4 grown adults although a little cramped with a six footer driving it. Wider body is more stable than my 2004 and the mileage is about 23/gal hgwy. 4 wheel drive makes this vehicle like a tank and very stable in rain,snow or ice. If you can find a better truck buy it."

Tough truck, tows well

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Big enough to intiminate slow pokes."

Cons: "uncomfortable driver/passenger seats"

"Doesn't like to tow in 5th gear (automatic) and 4th uses a lot of gas at 50 mph. But it's strong and the locking rear axel is great on slippery boat ramps. The 12v to 110V converter in the bed really comes in handy camping or trimming bushes around the yard. Over 4 years old and the gold paint still looks like new. The temp/compass indicator died but was a free easy fix with directions provided on the net. I don't off road much but when I've been in the bush the truck seemed to like the challenge. The best part.. My dog loves it."

awesome truck

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Cons: "4cyl. auto in the mountains isnt very fun"

"Own a 4cyl. ext cab sr5 2005 2wd since 26k, now has 93k. Great truck! no issues. Taken me across the country 4 times."

I have never felt reliable on something

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

"i also have a 2 inch suspension lift to get to and from hunting camp. this truck is very reliable. I have pulled dodges, chevy's and fords bigger the my truck out of ditches and mud holes. It is a very reliable truck."

Favorite Vehicle

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"Bought my truck new. 5 years, 92000 miles later, it is tight, rattle free, no problems (except an A/C compressor). They could improve the stereo, and quiet the engine noise - but my next vehicle will be this vehicle. Excellent truck."

Very Satisfied

By on Thursday, February 24, 2011

"I have owned my 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4WD,Double Cab for a year. I have put 40,000 miles on it, and I have had no issues at all. Very comfortable, reliable vehicle, and as I was checking the value, it has held its value very well. 4WD works great."

Worst truck ever

By on Friday, October 22, 2010

"I have owned this truck over 2 years and this truck is so far the worst I ever had. Gas mileage is terrible, ride comfort is none existent and as far as payload, can not handle to much 8 bag of concrete 90lb and the truck nose is pointing towards the sky. Handling is horrible don't stay on a straight line wonders left to right. I had Toyota look at the front end. they just said that is the way they are. Steering is way to soft and is not speed sensitive always easy to steer even at high speed 80+ mph."

Very Happy

By on Sunday, October 03, 2010

"this truck is great! Very recommended, I have the TRD Off-Road package double cab and it has everything, towing, power, storage, and the ability to tote my family around. It is a wonderful vehicle, rides great has good "get up" and the engineering/conveniences and attention to detail are fantastic. Go get yourself one"

Still needs improvement

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"The 2005 model was a much needed and highly welcomed upgrade from the lingering smaller tacoma that it replaced. The larger interior size, which was its previous downfall as it was very cramp and confining has been transformed into a roomy spacious cabin!! controls are easy to reach and layout is about where you expect things to be. The 4.0L V6 has great power available and returns respectable MPG (I get about 18MPG overall with an automatic - I'd have to cruise about 65MPH on the freeway to break 20MPG) responcive handling and expected somewhat stiff ride for the TRD off-road pkg. Inside agian, they went gangbusters for storage. behind AND under the back seats there is enourmous storage for tiedowns, tools, chains, blankets, food and what ever you may need for emergencies - really, there is toms of storage!! Now then, here's what i didn't like about the new Taco: the cloth seats are terrbile at stains - if you even spill WATER on the cloth seats, it will leave a water mark!! get them wet at all and you have a water mark!! the radio is very difficult to see in the daytime, and impossible to see when wearing sunglasses!! The standard LED in-dash clock is the same one they been using for over 20 YEARS - you'd think they could at least upgrade the clock!! also no glove box light, my old 1993 Toyota p-up had that??!! the drivers side power window controls are also not visible at night - they're supposed to be illuminated, but you fumble around and test each button to figure out which window control your lowering. And oh, the tranny - when on cruise, and the speed drops down a slight bit or you increase the speed by more than 3 MPH - the tranny will, for some reason, drop 2 gears, the engien will jump 1500 RPM - just to gain that 2-3 MPH??!! Overall, I wish I would have given the new Taco model a year or two to get the bugs out before buying one. Although I enjoy the truck, I'd have a hard time recommending this years model"

Best Truck on the market

By on Thursday, July 15, 2010

"I've had a Tacoma double cab TRD Off Road for three years now and it has never let me down. The first two years I had it I lived in Summit County (Where Breckenridge/Keystone/Arapahoe-Basin Ski resorts are) and used it for everyday travel through some of the worst snow conditions in the states. In two years I towed at least 50-60 people out of ditches and snowdrifts with this truck. That included me towing a rear wheel drive Ford F-250 out of the Arapahoe Basin Ski Area parking lot to the cheers of everyone around."

Over rated and over priced

By on Saturday, July 10, 2010

"I have an '06 Prerunner Access Cab with V6 and auto. Same Typical shimmy/shake in steering wheel that seems to be common as other complaints. I do NOT drive this truck over 70mph for fear of ride and handling concerns. Its been back to the dealer 4 times with no reasonable explanation of the problem. The automatic transmission is the worst auto I have ever driven. The transmission shifts like it doesn't know what gear it should be in. I find the seats to be very uncomfortable and want to get out after about 20-25 minutes of driving. These are generally over priced for the quality. For the price I would buy a full size American truck over anything from toyota. Currently looking to get ride of this truck."

Comparisons

By on Monday, June 28, 2010

"I've owned several Toyota pickups now, and several American monster trucks... and I always come back to the Toyota, mostly for size, reliability, and resale value. I've now owned 2 of the current generation, both Prerunner Access Cabs. Both have been very reliable, but the 4 cylinder only comes with a 5 speed manual, and I got tired of shifting, and had to buy a V6 to get an automatic. The 4 cylinder got about 22-23MPG average, and the 6 cylinder gets about 20 MPG average. MPG suffers over 80 MPH on the 4 cylinder, and the 6 cylinder MPG suffers in stop and go traffic."

Awesome, yet not perfect

By on Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"Despite all of the problems Toyota has had, the Tacoma is an awesome vehicle. I drove it all the way from Greeley, CO. to Indiana, and back, 2400 miles, and it averaged 26 MPG with the 2.7L. I had about 300 pounds in the bed. My truck is the basic 2 door, 2WD, 4 speed automatic, and through all the hills in Kansas and Missouri, it pulled itself right up, never downshifting. The seats in the base model do leave something to be desired with the fact that the backrest can't be adjusted, all they do is move forward and back, but are still comfortable. Also, wind noise is a problem around the doors and under the vehicle. Other than that it was a pleasure to drive. The ride quality is superb under load. If you're looking for a midsize truck, my only recommendation is this. Get cruise control and power windows/locks. Another issue is the 2.7 is great for driving below 6000 feet, but once I get into the mountains the performance drop is a small disappointment. my grandmother has an FJ with the 4.0L V6 that is offered in the bigger Tacomas and it doesn't suffer from power loss. So if you're going to get one, go for the SR5 with the V6."

05 4x4 Acess TRD SR5 V-6, 6 speed

By on Sunday, January 31, 2010

"I've had many trucks over the years Chevys, Nissans, 4 cyl, V-8, deisels, etc, and I like the 05 Tacoma better than any I've had... Mine is an Access cab, 4x4 V-6, 6 speed TRD SR5.....It has so many improvements over the smaller previous Tacoma's...the Truck is a little bigger and now is more like a mid size truck, but not as big as my Chevy 1/2 ton.....It is pretty much fully loaded, and I like all the toys, including the 6 speed.....Everything on the truck operates beautifully, as you would expect from a Toyota....It has small things like outside temp gauge and compass....The 2 small back doors are great for hauling the small stuff in the back seat area......Mileage is about 20....about as advertised (and much better than 13mpg of a GM 4x4)......Overall...I LOVE IT !.....will keep it for many years !"

Just a Truck

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"2006 Prerunner Automatic with TRD package. I have owned different makes and this truck is not any better than any others. Pros: Great engine, comfortable front seats. Cons: Transmission, wind noise, very sensitive to crosswinds, gas mileage, styling. Chevy rides and drives better, has more room, gets better gas mieage and just as dependable."

Great light duty truck

By on Saturday, October 03, 2009

"I previously owned several small pickups and this Tacoma (my first Toyota), even though it is a base model, puts them all to shame. Zero problems with it. It handles very well at highway speeds and gets ~28 mpg w/mandated 10% eth'gas. 5th gear is an overdrive so downshifting on long hills is necessary to stay in the power curve. I bought this truck new and plan to put 300k miles on it. With this truck that should be a very realistic goal."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals