• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1388 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Best small truck on the market.

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "Looks, reliability"

Cons: "Ride, ergonomics, stereo, price"

"This was a good purchase. Toyota leads the small truck market. Quality of material is good. Drivetrain is adequate. Truck lacks options that many other vehicles have. For this day and age when electronics are cheap and plentiful the tacoma stereo is about 15 years behind. Adjusting the seat and steering wheel for tall people is impossible. Space between the pedals and under the steering wheel is small so big boots and long legs were not intended for this vehicle. Looks good and is dependable."

great

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

"even better"

I will forever continue buying Tacomas.

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Very nice truck swicthed to Toyota"

Cons: "no issues yet. Had for over 2 years"

"Very happy with my Toyota. I never thought I would leave my Dodge but my friend brought one and I enjoyed driving it so much that now I own one. This is a very nice truck. Very pleased.."

Excellent value for the money

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Runs great, handles well, high quality materials"

Cons: "Wish it has more internal cubbyholes for storage"

"Purchased new in November 2013, my Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed (DCSB), PreRunner style, is more than I expected. With about 12,500 miles driven in 15-or-so months, it has given me zero problems. The 4 cyl. engine provides adequate power in hilly country and for towing less than 1500 lbs.; should mention that with the 4 cyl. engine I average 22 MPG in the summer and 20 MPG in the winter. Handles well in the snow despite being only rear wheel drive (am carrying a fiberglass shell year-round, so the added weight helps). Rear seating is comfortable. Being picky about my vehicles and a stickler on maintenance, I expect this truck to last a good long time. Definitely believe I am getting my money's worth and would recommend the Tacoma PreRunner if you want a solid-performing truck without the expense of a 6 cyl. engine or 4WD."

Hate to have to sell it!!!

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Pros: "100,000 miles and barely broken in."

Cons: "People over 90 have a tough getting in."

"Bought the truck new, right off the truck. Outstanding value. Avoided any accidents due to its outstanding handling. The color, Speedway Blue, is a real head turner, along with the TRD package. Going on 100,000 miles, and all I have replaced is the battery, tires, and oil. Still has the pick up and energy of a new truck. No problems!! Selling it because my boyfriend wants me to have a new car. My son got a similar Ford truck, but couldn't keep up with me on the road, and gets much better gas milage. Very, very comfortable on long trips."

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "good gas mi."

Cons: "none for the money!"

"absolutely the best little truck i have ever had. goes anywhere, good on gas, tows anything, looks good,great for two people. hopefully toyota keeps making this truck, cause i will by another one for sure."

Little Noisy buy great truck.

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, Big truck for low price"

Cons: "Noisy at highway speeds, Cheaper interior"

"This truck is a great value. 4-door Pre-runner base. Interior feels a little cheap, but not bad for an entry level truck. Composite bed liner is a plus, as are tie down cleats in the back. Plenty of room for my 6'2" frame, even in the back. 4 Cylinder engine has plenty of power for around town, and highway driving. Gives the appearance of a full sized truck with great gas mileage. Tons of aftermarket parts. Only complaint is a little noisy at highway speeds, but turn on the radio and it is fine. In it's defense, I was coming from a Honda Accord."

my second vehicle-worth keeping

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "easy to drive and to park, great for hauling stuuf"

Cons: "taigate should come with a lock."

"this is my ride from home to work (and vice versa) and it never gave me a single major trouble. minor troubles were that squeaking noise it made when you turn on the ac on its first year and it has been fixed without me paying a single cent and the others, well, on my part for not cleaning it religiously(water spots, bird droppings) aside from that, a very reliable car. very spacious interior, has a back-up camera that my co-workers envy me whenever i park in a tight parking area, very cool air con, loves to take an extra weight (it feels that it runs smoothly if i put loads of stuff on the bed). Overall, ill keep this as long as i live."

great little truck

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "good mpg for a truck"

Cons: "front seats could be more comfy"

"I've owned this truck for 2 years and am very happy with its performance. It gets 25mpg in summer around town with its 4cyl engine. Hauls and tows whatever I need and runs like a clock. My dogs ride in the cab with the seats down in back and friends ride easily with the seats up."

None better.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"I have the TX Pro version Double Cab Short Bed. I pull a small boat and RV regularly and the truck does not miss a beat. Could be better on gas but not bad at all."

I wish that every vehicle was as Great !

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "highest quality, total reliability, fun to drive"

Cons: "seat could be more comfortable"

"My only complaint might be that I should have upgraded the interior, but at the basic model 4x4 I should not expect luxury. It is without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever owned. Totally reliable, a bullet proof engine, decent fuel milage, and a do anything, go anywhere attitude has never let me down. I am going to give mine up only because I plan on moving overseas, and the cost of shipment would be prohibitive for me."

WAS a loyal Toyota fan from 1984 until 2009.

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Steering radius and manuverabilty are great"

Cons: "resale value is absolutely dismal"

"In 2009 I purchased a 2010 Tacoma 4wd 5speed 4 door Access Cab. Issue 1) Cruise control: While set, regular driving, if you push in clutch it disengages as expected. While in neutral, if you press 'resume', engine will accelerate to who knows how many rpm's/goes into full throttle. First time was a surprise, I caught it b4 reaching 5000 rpms (switched cruise to off position). Have demonstrated it to others and same result every time. Issue 2) Radio turns itself on and off at random. Issue 3) Low quality plastic removable 'cargo clips' in bed. Your everyday bungee "S" hooks unable to attach to them and they are poorly manufactured/strip out with little effort. These issues may seem petty to some, but for $30,000.00 in 2009, I would have expected more. I paid far less for my Toyotas in the past and received far better quality vehicles (My previous Toyotas: 1984 standard pick-up, 1991 short bed standard p/u w/over 265,000 miles and still going, & 1996 Corolla). That said, in conjunction with the sub-par customer service at the local Toyota dealership, I will probably NEVER buy a NEW Toyota again."

A good solid vehicle.

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "The vehicle performs very well for it's intended"

Cons: "Noisy and less than stellar mileage."

"I bought the Tacoma for it's rugged construction and looks. Both of these features are very important for the roads and conditions in Colorado. The Tacoma is not a "boulevard cruiser" by any means. It's ride is a bit harsh and you have to physically maintain control as it will wander. It is also a bit noisy at highway speeds. All said, the vehicle is truly a truck and it performs this function very well. The heavier the load the better it's ride. It also does very well off the pavement."

Plactic Bed not great for hauling.

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Over priced , Not a smooth ride, loud ."

Cons: "Why put the oil filter there ? messy"

"Loud cant really hear very well when people talk . Way over priced . Cant wait to get out of it without losing my shorts. In defense of the Tacoma I went from Tundra to Tacoma .I thought I would save on gas (not) Night and Day"

Luv this truck!

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

"Luv this truck. Very comfy on long trips. Reasonably economical considering its a 4x4 and a 4.0 liter engine. Hardly feel or hear the highway when driving. A handsome looking vehicle, quality very good for its price range. Only complaint is, when the window is open even a tiny bit and its raining, the water comes in and drips all over the power window and lock buttons on the door. Sometimes you need a little air even when its raining. Some kind of water diverter should be added to the roof. Other than that, I have no complaints about this truck. I would buy a new one in a minute."

Best mid sized pick-up ever!

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, rides nice, good gas mileage."

Cons: "back seats are small for an adult,"

"We really like this Tacoma 2008 pick-up. It is small enough to get reasonable gas mileage for a country dweller, yet strong enough to haul firewood, animal feed, bark mulch, wood pellets, or anything else. The bed sweeps or hoses out easily. It rides smooth in the front bucket seats. The back seats are small and not good for a long legged person. It is also hard to get a children's car seat to fit in the back seat. The back seat is good for groceries, animal feed, on rainy days, tools, etc. It has a surprising amount of room. I like the way the rear doors open out. If you are looking for a reliable, mid-size pick up. The Tacoma is the one for you."

Good truck,outstanding value retention

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Good truck,outstanding value retention"

Cons: "Brake pedal feel"

"I love this little truck.Gobs of power,cruises on interstate,handles well on back roads,and is not to bad on gas.The only complaint I have is lack of brake "feel"has always had a softer pedal than I like.Have had it to dealers (3)and they all say it is normal.All in all though I have been very happy with it."

Bullet proof, no headache, super reliable.

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Never breaks down or needs work."

Cons: "Can't think of one."

"Have driven it for 100,000 on highway and in town. All you need to do is change the oil and it goes forever. Have a friend with 280,000 miles on his, still drives it everywhere."

Best truck ever

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Would not buy any other vehicle"

Want a new truck but like this too much to let it

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Great truck. Powerful 6 with 6 speed manual."

Cons: "5th and 6th gears should both be O/D."

"Have had this truck since June, 2007. Never did anything but change the oil until I had it tuned up at 52,000 miles a month ago. I still ran great but my mechanic said I could hurt the catalytic converter by leaving the spark plugs in too long. When removed and replaced, they still looked great. Everything else is original. Never replaced a bulb, a belt, the battery or anything else. Oops, I did replace the windshield wipers. This truck has never, never let me down. Best truck I have ever owned"

amazing truck!

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, low cost to own"

Cons: "no auxillary connection"

"This truck has been through the ringer and still continues to impress, 170k hard miles and still running like new. Never had anything break on this truck and it still shines like new even after being almost 8 years old. Requires minimal maintenance and does amazing in the snow!"

What can I say it's a Toyota !!

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Quality all around"

Cons: "Not the best gas mileage"

"Those that don't have one want one. I do believe that price is a factor when looking at new vehicles."

Great truck

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, looks, power"

Cons: "Brake softness and interior scrathing"

"Everything is great on this truck. The gas mileage isn't the best but the truck has great pickup. Two things that could be improved are the interior door panels as the plastic scratches easily and the brakes are softer than I'd like. Otherwise my '10 Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 is awesome. I would definitely buy this truck again."

Best 4x4 Crew Cab pickup for the money.

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive & handles great for a 4X4 truck."

Cons: "Gas mileage is just okay when you push it."

"05 Crew Cab TRD Sport LB. Factory ordered new with all the options in 05, 1st year made-2nd generation Tacoma. Owned close to 9 years now. Under 100K miles, don't drive to much. I can't say enough about the quality & reliability of this truck. Handles great on & off road. (As soon as you get rid of the Bridgestone HT tires that come stock and are scary to drive with). Fun to drive! Great acceleration and handling for a 4x4 truck. Very Dependable. Never let me down. Increased in value $800 according to KBB when 2014 arrived. Strange? I know. If this was an American vehicle it would be a rattle trap by now. My vehicle drives like the day I bought it. I hunt, take down trails and put this vehicle to the test. I use synthetic oil. I change the anti freeze, differentials/ transfer case fluid, and transmission flush every 35-50k miles on my vehicles. I'm confident this truck will hold up regardless of what I do with on or off road. No rust, looks new still. Toyota's run forever with just general maintenance."

best truck I have owned

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Easy riding, good looking truck"

Cons: "1 recall. 1 minor factory defect."

"In 55,000 miles I have had only 1 minor problem in which the dealer incorrectly diagnosed but which I figured out. It cost me nothing to repair it. All routine maintenance has been followed but nothing beyond that. I have owned 2 Nissan trucks prior to this. This Toyota has them beat."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals