• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1448 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Would not recommend this truck...

By on Friday, July 09, 2010

"I have an ‘07 pre runner double cab 4.0 v6 4x2 long bed with 124,000 miles. It is my first new truck. the stock tires only lasted 38,000 miles. I noticed right away that the windshield molding made a humming noise above 70 mph, however, the dealer would not fix this problem because it would occur above speed limit. I fixed it with silicone. The windshield wipers don’t work on high. I noticed this after the warranty was up because it seldom rains here. The air bag has a defective part in the steering column, the dealer wanted $500 to fix. They said it must have been a problem with others because the part was in stock already. The engine pings with 87 octane, the dealer had no solution except to stop reading the internet. I run Shell gas 89 octane. The gas mileage is about the same as my wife’s 06 ford expedition v8 4x4 which runs on 87 octane. Another problem I found was that the seats sit low to the floor which makes for uncomfortable work truck and the double cab has blind spots. The best thing about this truck is its looks! I really wish I had bought a F150. I have always had good luck with Toyota, but probably won’t buy another."

07 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD SR5

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"Initially very happy with my truck, handles nice and for the most part gets decent gas mileage. However, the sheet moulded composit bed is not as tough as the dealership said it was, and the lack of d-rings on the front of the bed limit its use(can't tie down my 600lb motorcycle). Also the lack of a lip of the bed did not allow me to initially use my Track Rack system, however they came out with adapters for the rails. The rail system is a good idea, but poorly executed. The 2.7 four cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual feels underpowered, and going up hills even empty on the highway feels bogged down unless you have a good running start. On the happier side, the cab is much more spacious than older tacoma's, and parents will like the accessability of a four door cab for car seats and cargo."

Excellent truck

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"This toyota truck #4 for me. All have been great. This one, with the v6, trd, 4wd access cab and 5 speed auto is excellent. I tow a 3500 lb travel trailer and the truck handles it very well. So far at 35K I have never had to return for a warranty issue. Good mileage for the power/performance. Smooth, quiet and comfy without being too big. Just right really. Highly recommended."

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"Roomy, powerful....nice all the way around. I have the 2006 TRD Off Road, 4 door. Seats are extreamly confortable. (Back seat included) Gas milage is a little low, but acceptable. Only owned it for a year, but I don't see any problems coming around. Best truck I have ever owned."

Good truck. 200,000 miles and very few issues.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Good value."

Cons: "Access cab not usable."

"This has been a good truck overall. Good value considering the cost of most full size trucks now days. Have had some issues with the electrical though; heat went out, speedometer has gone out, etc. But it was and still is a very reliable vehicle with no major issues to report. The access cab is small and cannot really hold extra passengers."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals