2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1621 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Must Own for Truck Lovers

By on Saturday, March 21, 2009

"I am sad to say that I just came back from the body shop after taking my belongings out of my 99 Prerunner. It was declared a total loss after I was T-boned by a 90 Integra. I know the truck would have survived the impact had it not been for the fact that the Integra hit right on the front passenger wheel. I owned this truck for ten years and had a couple of accidents before this one, and the truck still ran like new. It became part of my identity over that time. My friends tell me I don't seem like the same person without my truck. For anyone looking to buy a truck, this is the one you want. It's durable, stylish and fun. But beware, you will become attached. Should you happen to be in my shoes one day, you will mourn your loss."

I'll Keep 'Er

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"Bought it new in 2002. The only problem I have ever had was it stalled going down the highway, but re-started right up. Took to dealer and found a mouse had eatten thru the air filter and loose element had clogged the air flow somewhat, hence the stall. I put a S.S. pad in air intake= no more mice. Only gripe is the seat seems to sit flat with not enough height as I would like. I plan on keeping this wonderful workhorse till my hips give out and are ubable to hit the clutch any more! Do not think this would be so glowing if I had bought the Dodge with the $800 sound system instead."

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"I bought my 1996 Tacoma in 1999. Had it since then and it now has 261,000 miles. Fantastic vehicle. I regularly change the oil, belts, fluids, etc...and in return have had minimal problems. Only cons are that the power antenna broke off, selt belts don't always retrack when exiting the truck and not the smoothest ride. But those 'cons' fail in comparison to what a tough truck this is. Plan on keeping a long time."

Great truck

By on Monday, October 6, 2008

"I had this truck for 5 years and never had a problem. 2nd Toyota truck owed, I would not own any other truck. Can't go wrong with a TOYOTA! Bottom line, you take care of your Toyota it will take care of you."

Timing

By on Friday, June 27, 2008

"Timing chain replacement calls for somewhere around 20 hours labor. Mine broke and had to buy a used engine that had 71000 miles on it, total cost, 2800 + dollars. Original engine had 101000 miles on it. Even if the chain had not broke the chain replacement would of cost $2000. If this is routine maintenance I'll not buy another Tacoma truck or Toyota vehicle. Also the right side frame has rusted out. This all happened in 2006."

Great work truck

By on Monday, March 3, 2008

"I bought this '04 after my '91 Tacoma with 200+k was totalled by a red light runner. The extra bells and whistles are welcome. The biggest problem is seeing the clock! It's hidden behind the steering wheel. Same great reliability, milage etc"

average

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"has been reliable...springy ride....dissapointed with gas milage (18 average----7 pulling small boat) engine sound not throtty like us cars when you firrst accelerate....rear in light."

Solid Performer

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2007

"Never let me down. Exceptional gas mileage and a great little truck to have. Only repair I had to do in 10 years was put on a set of new tires and replace the wind shield after a rock cracked it. Only parted with it becasue my family grew and I needed a bigger truck!"

A truck you can get a return value on.

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"With a 3" lift and 33 X12.50 tires on 15X10 rims. This truck turns heads. Never really was a great deal of power with the stock tires and there really arent many modifications for this 6 Cylinder that why I gave performance a little lower rating. Why did I buy this truck ? Return on investment. when Im done with it and ready to see it. Im not going to be in the hole 5 or 10,000 like everyone else is experiening. 90,000 miles change the oil and timing belt and just drive it. Never had a hose replaced, battery, and it starts and runs every day. Very good heat output for winters in Ohio. heats fast and stays hot. Hotter than my wifes cars or previous cars and/or trucks of my own. Also Electronic Positraction in $ Wheel low only. However with some rewiring you can make the posi run all the time. Transfer case and axles are a little week but good enough for stock tires. Although I run 33's I dont abuse the truck so no worries here. However Ive seen my fare share of broken axles on these trucks especially with Small Block engine swaps."

Mint

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"This truck is unstopable. I've owned Dodge, Ford, and Chevy. None can compare. This truck really is bulletproof"

By on Wednesday, October 3, 2007

great truck

By on Monday, October 1, 2007

"I bought the truck new and have had no problems. It gets goodgas milage. I think it looks great. I would definitely recommend this truck to anyone."

10 yrs & going strong

By on Friday, September 28, 2007

"I bought my 1997 Toyota Tacoma LX new and have never had any problems with it. I followed the recommended maintenance schedule provided by Toyota. My Tacoma came with a V6 and 5-speed. It is surprisingly quick. If I had any complaint about the vehicle it would be the brakes. It did not come with ABS so you need to be extremely careful in wet/slippery conditions. I have enjoyed driving it for 10 years and 100,000 miles."

Ta Ta Ta Tacoma

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"Just like the energizer bunny.....keeps going and going and going....11 years and 204,500 miles and still counting! 1997 4x4 extra-cab, 5 speed and power everything. Bought it well used from a neighbor. Paint is pretty well shot and the a/c just died but who needs a/c in central PA anyway! Oh yeah... the check engine light has been on for about 3 years, no harm, no foul. Great truck and great value!"

2004 Tacoma Xtra cab 4 wheel

By on Sunday, September 23, 2007

"This is a good solid vehicle with little or no maintenence. I have 70000 miles on it and aside from oil changes have not spent one thin dime on repairs. The truck starts and runs every time you turn the key, flawlessly. The four wheel drive when coupled with some extra weight in the bed in the winter creates a tank that can go about anywhere. Also great on the sand for a beach runner. Fuel economy is ok about 27 highway but about 18 city. Don't know how good Ford pickups are because I have never driven one. Have owned 3 Toyotas in a row since 1988. The beauty is when you go to trade them in they still have value after they are paid for. Good solid vehicle. Buy one now!"

Good Value

By on Monday, September 17, 2007

"This is my 3rd Toyota in a row. I have an 01' Tacoma regular cab, auto 4cyl. I am the second owner and have owned it since April 07'. This is a very nice little truck and I have only had to do normal maintnence like a battery, front brake pads and oil changes etc in the past 5000 miles. Mechanically it's a dream. Very solid ride for a vehicle this small. The biggest problem with this truck is that the metal dents VERY easily. If you lean on it wrong it will leave a mark. I'm not kidding. My truck is a burgundy color and I don't think that helps any. It tends to reflect every little thing. This truck isn't use to haul tons of stuff. It's just a daily driver and is fussed over like a car. People kept ranting about how great they were before I bought mine. Overall a good little truck, but kind of over rated for what it is."

Best Truck ever

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"I am the original owne (8.5 years). At 110,ooo miles, other than standard services I'm on my second battery, second set of Tires. and second set of transmission bushings(replaced at 107,000 miles). Milege averages 20.1 city/23 Highway (Chevron Supreme) with 2.7 4cylinder and 5 speed(4WD). Milege improved 5% and performance improved noticeably when I switched to premium fuel. To improve the ride, carrying capacity and roll, I added Bilstein shocks, anti sway bar and extra leaf spring. I did not order the TRD suspension as the Offroad springs produce too harsh a ride for the street (95% of use is commuting). All parts have held up well and there are no sqeeks or rattles after many miles of rough desrt travel. She feels like she is barely broken in and I expect will serve me for many satisfied years to come."

Excellent Truck

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I've had this truck since new 5 yrs ago. I've put 153K miles on it with over 100K coming in the last 3 yrs. Still gets 24MPG on the highway and 22 in the city. The engine and transmission are as quiet and strong as the day I bought it. They have no leaks, no knocks, no smoke. I've changed the oil every 6K miles using Mobil 1 5W30 Full Synthetic. I've replaced the front brake pads 3 times and the front rotors after 125K miles. The rear brakes are original and are in need of replacement shoes at my next servicing. I've towed my boat 200+miles on several occassions with this truck and it never missed a step. Best vehicle I've ever purchased."

Great Truck!

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"I've owned my '98 2.7lit 4-cyl, 4x4 Tacoma with 147k miles on it for about 4 years now. I used to live in the mountains and loved its ablility to perform in snow and icy conditions, either when 4-bying or simply hwy driving to/from the mountain. It handles very well as long as the bed is properly weighed down. Now I live in the city and have very little use for the 4x4 capabilities. :-( It has great power for such a small truck and decent gas milage. Unfortunately the owner before me put a bad lift on the truck and it in turn has become and increasingly bumpier ride over the years. Replacing the shocks made no difference. Although, I don't know if other Tacoma owners have experienced the same problem. Reliability is AWSOME!!! I've only had to do routine maitanence over the years besides replacing the starter around 130k miles. My only complaints about the truck are the bumpy ride and not enough leg and reclining room for my 6'1" hubby, I have the standard cab. Its been an awsome truck and I'll be sad to see it go due to our growing family. BTW, I love that you can turn off the passenger side airbag for the little guys!"

Great Buy

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"I really enjoy this truck and it also looks good, 71000 strong and looking forward to many more!"

2000 Tacoma

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Truck is like a tank. Little short on cab room but she never fails when on the concrete or in the woods. Travels better with a half to full load."

Tacoma 2002 2wd 5spd

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I have owned the truck since new. At 83k I am pleased with only really having the maintenance, tires and brakes. Have thought about trading it for the new 4dr long bed w V6 since just married. Hard to part with a winner though. I have hauled in the bed at times upward to 750lbs which may be not much for a truck but it holds the road and accelerates well under that type of increased load. Gas mileage is good for a little 4 cylinder. Looking forward to 90k svc and serp and timing belt replacement. Insurance costs pretty good as well."

Turning radius

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Have found that most owners of toyota small pickups find fault with HUGE turning radius. Needs a lot of room to park in many lots"

Good solid truck.

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Very happy with this truck. I bought mine with 50K on it, and now it has over 100K, still going strong. gets decent gas milage, and is very easy to perform routine maint. yourself in your garage. Looking for an excuse to sell it and get a new one, but can't find a good excuse to sell it. I will probably own it forever."

Love my truck!!

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I bought my truck used in 2000. I have nothing but great things to say about it. I have had NO major mechanical issues AT ALL with the truck. All I do is my oil changes and tune ups when needed and that is it. My truck hauls my horse trailer with 2 horses no problem (but I would recommend electric brakes!!) It has pulled me thru the worst snow and horrible rain. The body is still in awesome shape with only 1 rust problem on bottom of bed door. Prob my fault cause I wash the truck ALOT!! :) The only downfall is the comfort of the truck but it is a truck and it is a 4x4 so you cant expect a completely smooth ride. For long haul highway driving it is very comfy. Excellent pick up too for getting past traffic. I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. If I ever do have to get another truck you can bet it will be another Toyota and likely another Tacoma."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals