2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1617 Ratings for the 2001 - 2004 models.

Great Truck

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "keeps on running repair free"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Have driven this truck since it was new in 1999. Have 280,000 miles on it. Very little repair over the years. Many people make me an offer on it but I want 500,000 miles before I let it go, actually we may both just retire together so I will keep it."

Superior Reliability-Not my first/will buy again!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty/handling/very sturdy/hold their value"

Cons: "You won't want to sell yours"

"Purchased new in Feb 97'. The only thing I would have liked different is the Access rear doors, which were not available on this year. Over the nearly 16 years I've owned this truck, the only failures I had(beyond the normal brakes, tires, and battery)were the Mass Airflow Sensor, and the Automatic Transmission throtle cable. The MAS is expensive, but EXTREMELY easy to diagnose and replace(OBD2 diagnostic and 5 minutes with a screwdriver). The AT throtle cable was sticking and causing the shift points to change which made the engine go high RPM before shifting to the next gear even with light acceleration(since the sticky cable prevented the spring from pulling it back into the tranny). Fairly tricky diagnosis, $80 dealer-only cable, and $100 labor from a reliable mechanic. Aside from these 2 failures, everything has worked perfectly since day 1. I have the 4 cylinder 2.4L engine. I've been slightly dissapointed with the MPG(Avg 22), but attributed that to the automatic tranny. I've had at least 20 people ask me to let them know when I'm ready to sell it. Want to know how much Tacoma owners like their trucks? Try to find used ones. They're like the Energizer bunny...they just keep going."

Love my truck

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Flexible in how it can be used."

Cons: "Wish it got better MPG."

"I bought this truck brand new in 2002 and I have put every one of the 175,000 miles on it. I have had to do the basic maintenance, oil, filters, tires, and a few batteries but nothing major has gone wrong with it. It fits 4 adults easily, though the back seat isn't all that comfy for long road trips, it works for local stuff. I have the bed liner and bed extender, it carries my longboards, golf clubs etc. The truck handles quite well, power steering and brakes, power windows and door locks. I would say the only drawback is that around town, which is what I normally drive now, it only gets about 19 MPG. This has been a reliable vehicle that can be used as a passenger vehicle AND a truck. I love my Tacoma."

Best of all trucks I have owned

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

Pros: "Compact size, handling, reliabillity, repair ease"

Cons: "Clock location,Gas milage, Hard to let go!"

"After owning 4 other trucks I purchased my TRD Tacoma new and fell in love. Other than the gas mileage and the location of the dash clock (my only gripe) she has been a dream vehicle. I have the xtracab TRD 4x4 model with the power and towing package. Now over 8 years old and 140,000 of my own miles on her all I have done is the recommended service, brakes, tires, timing belt and a replaced center console latch I broke myself.Still transfers into 4x with ease and tows like there's nothing there, she still handles turns beautifully, accelerates swiftly and because of the compact size can fit almost anywhere and go everywhere. In 4x she eats through snow and mud and even handles moderate speeds well without the need for downing to 2x. Also for those home mechanics like myself, most servicing is a dream with plenty of room to work and sensible design for mechanical ease I've even done a front brake job in 20 min. Even if you plan to buy one used, you won't be disappointing. You might just fall in love like myself."

Rock solid, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "ride can be rough, bouncy over potholes"

"This truck is great! Dependable, solid, decent gas mileage for a V6,I've been averaging 20 mpg for 198000 miles. Would like to keep it forever!"

best truck i ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"220000.miles runs great. very reliable."

Best truck on the market

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive TOUGH and dependable. good on gas!"

Cons: "cant think of anything"

"This is my second Toyota truck. My first was a new 1988 4x4 long bed deluxe. I sold it with 190,000 miles after 17 years and it still had the original clutch! This truck is a Tacoma SR5 TRD pre runner. Same awesome quality and dependability. Drives like a car, hauls 1600lbs. turns heads everwere it goes. Everything just keeps working. unlike my 2002 Ranger. that truck was falling apart at 5 years old. My only complaint about this TOYOTA is the clock location."

Bullet proof

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Small"

"I owned this truck since new. This was my college transportation, college tran and moving truck. I've driven it to Mexico several times. Now, my wife drives it to work every day. Since I bought it I have replaced the wipers, tires, battery, brakes and belts. It has never broken down. A year ago I put it up for sale because I bought an Suv for my wife, in one day I received 16 offers. After getting tired of my wife's nagging, I kept it and now is hers. She uses for work and to ferry our dogs around. It runs like new, the ac works perfect and has great gas mpg."

I Love this vehicle!

By on Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pros: "Great value for the money.Fun to drive."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"This is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Very dependable! Toyota backs what they sell. Holds it's value well. Great gas mileage. Would love to have a 2nd one and keep the one I have now."

toyota best in the world. 170K miles no problems..

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

"I'm very happy with my tacoma. no problems at all plenty of power,fast,and it hold the price up the only thing I don't like is the 17-18 MPG I wish it do 22 or more but I can live with it. my next truck will be a tacoma or 4runner same thing. I have a dream my dream is to drive a DIESEL TACOMA please bring DIESEL to U S A."

truck staying family and going to son

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "its all good"

"I am 55 and to say I have owned a few vehicles would be an understatement. Best small vehicle I ve owned.................."

Never getting rid of this truck

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "4 wheel low, is awesome"

Cons: "they dont make this model any more"

"I have the 2002 Tacoma 4x4 xtra cab. 5 speed manual, 2.7 liter 4cylinder. I bought this truck used with 54000 miles on it for 21000 out the door. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned, I commute 3hrs to work. and this truck hauls over 10 cords of wood a year. its a hunting and fishing truck It is comfy, reliable, good enough on gas, my brakes last over 100,000 miles, I just replaced my clutch at 185000 miles, (shouldn't have loaned it to family). Outside of general maintenance I have not turned a wrench. I would reccomend this truck to anyone who wants a smaller but very capable truck."

Best Truck you could ever ask for.

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

"I've had this truck since new. 10 years later, it just keeps going. It never breaks down, just routine maintenance, holds it's value and still looks great. I've been getting the bug for a new vehicle but then I tell myself why? The mechanic says the 3.4 V6 is good for 300K. I don't doubt it."

Love my Little Truck

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pros: "Dependable, Fun to drive, good beach truck"

Cons: "Small, not a whole lot of leg room"

"Best in reliability, and quality. This is one tough truck. Only drawback is it is small. Otherwise LOVE IT."

I love this truck

By on Friday, August 12, 2011

Pros: "We really enjoy our truck"

Cons: "the seats are not super comfortable pretty standard"

"My husband bought it in 1999 as his first brand new truck and its still going strong. couldnt be happier with it. We have purchased a 4 runner since but we can rely on the tacoma for all our home depot trips, dump runs and still commute to work knowing its reliable. I have had many offers from people to buy it due to the reputation these trucks have and I wont give er up till we hit 300K."

The most reliable vehicle I've ever owned....

By on Monday, July 11, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, dependable and reliable!"

Cons: "A little rough riding, but, it's a small pickup so to be expected."

"I bought this truck used with 27,000 miles on it and 2 1/2 years old. It is now over 13 years old and has almost 255,000 miles on it. I have spent many years with long commutes in this vehicle and it is so reliable and dependable! I doubt if I ever get rid of it. It's like part of the family now!"

Won't find a better vehicle

By on Sunday, June 12, 2011

"I'm 24 years old, had this vehicle since I was 14. Only car I've ever had and there's a reason for it - It's the absolute best truck I've ever experienced. VERY reliable and excellent quality. Goes anywhere I want it too and also gets over 21 mpg on highway. Will drive it till the wheels fall off..."

By on Saturday, January 22, 2011

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The great truck

By on Thursday, December 2, 2010

"I have owned many truck from all the popular manufactures. This by far is the best truck I have ever owned! In my opinion, it is one of the best trucks ever built. I have been all over North America with my Tacoma & in all kinds of terrain, from smooth paved roads to rugged, rocky, steep, frozen, snow covered, & extreme desert heat & it has conquered & never let me down. I have pulled campers, boats, & all kinds of trailers with ease. Just recently I was on an Elk hunt in the mountains of Northern Arizona. We were caught in a blinding blizzard on the side of a steep canyon. The trail we were on was extremely rugged. Large rocks, mud & to top it off it had about 2 feet of snow on it & that was getting deeper by the second. We had to turn the truck around & get back up the trail. We had very little room, & we could not see. We slowly inched the truck back & forth, over big boulders & logs. The truck was hung up a few times but always seemed to shake it's self loose. We were able to get the truck turned around & we worked our way back up the trail to a flat plateau to wait out the blizzard. My buddies who were with me are huge Chevy guys. They were blown away by what they saw this truck do. Their exact words were "I can't believe what I just witness this Tacoma do, that was awesome!""

Unstopable

By on Monday, September 6, 2010

"What can you say about a vehicle with over 340,800 miles and needed a mechanical repair only once in its life. That was to replace the catalytic converter. I do a 120-mile round trip commute to work and it has never let me down. I would like to see if I could get 500,000 miles out of her, but I am getting the new car bug. If the bug ever take hold, I will definately get another Tacoma."

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab 4x4 TRD

By on Thursday, August 12, 2010

"I bought this truck brand new in 2003. It is now Aug 2010, and I still get compliments on the vehicle. It has been one of the best trucks that I have owned. I have several friends that have said, "please tell me when you decide to sell it so I can have first option to buy it." I wish Toyota made would make a small sized truck like this again...the new Tacomas are just too big in my opinion."

By on Friday, May 28, 2010

GREAT,GREAT,PICKUP PERIOD.

By on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"YOU WILL BE A DIRE SITUATION ,TRYING TO FIND A BETTER PICKUP IN THIS CLASS, THE RATINGS SPEAKS FOR THEM. I,AM 70 YRS OLD AND BEEN THROUGH A LOT OF MAKES,AND MODELS , AND I CAN HONESTLEY SAY THIS TRUCKS ARE WORTH THERE WEIGHT IN GOLD."

Great truck

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I've had my Tacoma for 6 years. When I bought it the vehicle had 105,000 miles. It now has 170,000 and the only things I have had to replace are the starter and the alternator. Thats it. This truck is like a tank! I am a Tacoma fan for life."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals