• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1562 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Best truck ever!

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Reliable,decent gas mileage,solid construction."

"Bought it from my friend in 1997-best truck I have driven and still drive.Very reliable and safe.No major issues through the years.Replaced radiator,water pump and rotors.Just have routine oil changes and maintenance done."

Met all expectations

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Perfect for my needs at the time and still meets"

Cons: "Not recommended for heavy cargo hauling"

"Still meets most expectations, but needs have changed. Need more room and not all family members can drive a manual transmission. Otherwise still meets all needs. Excellent gas mileage and better than anything new we have looked at. Cost to own has been the best of any vehicle. We live in the mountains and the only downside ever experienced is the inability to carry much weight uphill. One safety caution with the big, oversize tires is the winter snows. While it is four wheel drive and handles snow well, the need to brake in the snow is a potential problem. It slides easily and further than you would normally expect."

Is It Good Enough to Keep?

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. $20,000 was affordable."

Cons: "Likes to be towed. No room for carpoolers."

"Bought my 2000 Certified Pre-owned PreRunner in 2001 with 17K miles on it. Although certified, the driver side visor was broken--something not noticed for several weeks. The back end squeals sometimes. Never know when that will kick in. It goes through batteries. None last for 3 years. First memorable breakdown/tow-in was when spark plugs deteriorated--dealer failed to tighten them. The catalytic converter went bad (bolt fell out?) The Prerunner has dual cats--more expensive to replace. Replaced starter in 2009. Valve work done in 2012 followed by cracked radiator replacement. Water pump relaced along with timing belt. Replaced master cylinder 2014. Lots of brake jobs. I do highway driving mostly, get it serviced on time, expected fewer breakdowns I guess. So far it is better than my two Celicas were. Four strangers have asked to buy it from me. I'd sell it if I knew what to buy instead."

Outstanding truck!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

"My Tacoma has 358,000 miles on the original motor and transmission. I have done standard repairs and preventive maintenance. The alternator is the only part that failed. Most of these miles are mail route miles on rough dirt roads as well. This is one tough truck!"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Great looks, Good gas mileage and very reliable."

"I would have to rate this truck as the best Vehicle i have ever owned. I have been driving over 35 years and have had several vehicles but none of the Vehicle had the reliability as the Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner. Almost zero problems and I have almost 300,000 mile on the truck."

Great Utility Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Extremely reliable and capable work vehicle."

Cons: "None to report."

"I bought the '96 Tacoma in 2001 to use for yard work and it has been the best vehicle investment ever. It sips fuel and doesn't complain on steep grades or with heavy loads. I don't use it much but when I do, it carries a hefty load - except for the Christmas Tree. I have only driven it a few thousand miles in all these years and the one thing that fails is the battery. I have installed a few over the years - they don't last much more than four years when the vehicle is not driven much but it is a second car so, that's the cost of sitting idle. The one thing this truck is not good at is snow covered hills. As a result, mine sits all winter and that is not great for the battery. I was surprised that it was recalled for a rust-through problem that had been an issue in some areas. Since the truck isn't driven in snow and salt, all that was detected was a bit of surface rust. Toyota brushed the surface, coated it in protective undercoating and said it was good as new. Rusted frames were bought back above Blue Book by Toyota. Surprising to have a recall on such an old vehicle. I was given a new loaner car while Toyota was inspecting and coating my truck and found the loaner sedan had the same feel as my truck. The truck drives just like the car! I have owned new Toyota cars in my lifetime and consider them to be extremely reliable. None as old as my truck but that old-timer is very reliable. These days, a manual shift doesn't appeal to me and the suspension is a bit bouncy in its old age. So is my body's suspension. Looking into the future, my 4WD SUV may be traded for a 4WD Tacoma pickup with some creature comforts and an automatic transmission. In summary, the truck is reliable, capable and down right durable. It's a 10."

Fun reliable truck,

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable, excellent mileage for a truck,"

Cons: "not enough power to haul , cab small"

"For a small truck this vehicle does it all. It handles well off road, got great gas mileage on the highway, was great for hauling small toys, moving friends, and doing yard improvements. In 7 years of ownership we only put regular maintenance and a few minor body repairs ( the lights seemed to pop out.) But even these repairs we reasonably prices , especially compared to other foreign made cars."

Best light truck ever made

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, functional, off-road readiness"

Cons: "they stopped making these in 2004 ... what?! Why?"

"This era - 1998 through 2004 - marks the pinnacle of Toyota's reign as dominant small truck manufacturer. I am a field biologist. I live in my truck some 100+ days a year. That's right: I live in my truck. I drive >15000 miles a year on dirt roads, often in 4x4. This truck is as tough as you can get in the US. Bar none. I've watched coworkers with some of these vehicles reach >>300000 miles. A good friend of mine got almost 450000 out of his. I'm not kidding. The first 190000 miles of hard livin' in this rig were completely maintenance free, even with my daunting "commute". My starter was finally changed at 220000. My clutch at 225000. My tie rods and rack/pinion at 230000. My radiator at 250000. And now a valve job is called for at 260000. But the engine burns no oil and has never overheated, even though I drive in 4-Low for dozens of miles a day in desert heat that routinely exceeds 110F. No brainer: fix the truck and get another 100000 miles out of this engine. An unbelievable value, really. The rig has paid for itself as a work vehicle many, many, many times over."

Fun truck but ultimately a failure.

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Reason: Rusted out frame.

Pros: "Monster in the snow/offroad. Great brakes/power."

Cons: "Bad mileage/realiability/frame"

"I bought my 99 Taco in 00. It had 20K on it and I paid 19,500 for it. It was a TRD 4x4 V6 5Spd extra cab. I loved its looks features and capablities. Most impressive other than the TRD package, 190hp V6 with the 31.5" tires was the braking a huge improvment over my 87 Ranger and the hight quality feel it had (no ding when you closed the door kinda things). Then the dissappointments started. My 87 ranger V6 4x4 5 spd got 21mpg... my new super taco NEVER did better than 17.5mpg. Then before hitting 100K the truck needed an alternator, starter, and water pump. It also has a timing belt which needs to be replaced at 100K (much prefer a chain). The clutch also went around 100k (common for the V6 im told). The tape deck experienced and issue and i replaced it and 2 rear axel seals went bad. The e brake light became unrelaible and the ventilation fan began to occasionally squeek. Through all that i kept it as at this point it was paid for and semi retired as I had finally accepted the falacy of driving a truck to work every day in an office and bought a car getting 31mpg. Then it failed WV inspection (I didnt thing that was possible) because the frame had rusted through. I took it to Toyota and they bought it back off of me at 150% KBB value in excellent condition (its condition was very good but thats what Toyota does wth these rotten frame trucks they buy back). So i got 12,500 for a truck i bought 11 years prior put 115K on (total of around 135K) and about 4K of repairs into through the years. I expeccted better mileage and MUCH better realiblity esepcailly from Toyota. I now accept and understand that little trucks arent really any good at commutting or work."

Good truck

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and tough."

Cons: "Vile ride and some awfully cheap touches"

"2nd owner of Tacoma TRD and its been a good one. Very reliable. Only 2 trips to shop, one to replace O2 sensor and to get a new wiper fluid reservoir. There are some cheap touches like the doors have little padding and sound reducing material, the visors might have come off a 1985 Yugo and the ride...lets don't go there. Its tough and will go most any place off road."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals