• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1536 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

The best truck I ever had.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Dependability"

Cons: "No clothes hanger."

"This is the Eveready of pickup trucks. Very dependable and held its value pretty strongly as compared to domestic trucks of the same category. Toyota's are built strong and last long."

Best pick-up I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, quality, resale."

Cons: "Duh...uh, let's see....uh.....well, nothing!"

"It's hard to believe but for the 2 yrs after I purchased this vehicle new (2004), I could have sold it for more than I paid!! The resale now, for this 10 yr old truck, is still phenomenal. My guess is that the top quality and reliability of Toyota trucks in general is the main reason for maintaining it's value. Other than a major tune-up at 90k, I've done absolutely nothing to maintain this truck. As far as wear/tear items, I've replaced the battery twice, had the front brakes done twice. OEM tires (forgot the brand) went 58k, my replacement set (Yokohama Geolander's) are at 58k and will probably go another 5-10k. (Current mileage is 116k). Since I've retired, this truck is no longer my daily driver and I expect it'll go another 100k! I might go before it does!"

Outstanding small truck

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Strong, well buit reliable vhehicle."

Cons: "A bit wind resistance due to it;s hight."

"Bought this truck new. Loved it ever since."

Never should have put a 4-cylinder in this truck

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Reliable beyond belief, will likely run forever"

Cons: "4-cynlinder, odd placement of components"

"My biggest complaint about this truck is the four cylinder engine. This is not a large truck, but four cylinders is not large enough for the truck. The exceleration leaves much to be desired; a problem I think could be fixed with a six cylinder engine. Maintance can be difficult due to odd placement of several components, including: oil filter, O-2 sensors and belts. Reliable beyond belief. I bought it used in 2008 with 76,000 miles. Several cross country trips and 59,000 miles later, she still runs like new"

Dependable Everywhere You Go

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Good for taking the kids."

Cons: "Not for 'big truck' utility."

"Bought this quad cab used with 70K, a few dents, and the power door locks not working. I've got 130K on it with only the usual factory recommended maint. and repairs. Factory electric controls for windows died at 40k,brake cylinders died (rusted) at 90K, ABS died at 110K. Factory extras included bedliner, locking rear differential, tow package, alloy wheels, and tinted windows. Pros: Not quite 4WD but locking diff will get you up and through 80% of the gritty stuff but not snow-ice or sand. Tough and overbuilt so you can't really overload it. I've carried 50+ cinder blocks, 30+ bags of wood mulch, 20 pcs of 4 x 6 x 8 lumber, etc with no ill effects. The quad cab is great if you have kids or passengers (rear seat) that are under 5'5. Front controls and seating space is good for up to a 6' - 6'2 driver. Cons: Can't see clock on dash due to steering wheel; cup holders interfere with dash and shift. Once your passengers hit the over 5'5" height, the rear seat is not a good option for rides longer than 45 minutes. The bed is too short if you have to carry plumbing, electrical, or carpentry items that are full length even if you drop the tailgate and use the bed extender."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for