• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1591 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Best vehicle Ive ever owned

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I have an '01 Prerunner ExtraCab 3.4L V6 2WD and Ive put 118,000 miles on it in the past 7 years and never had any reliability problems whatsoever. I replaced the timing belt and spark plugs, as well as the front breakpads around 100k miles; but thats just routine maintenance. I got a new set of tires around 55k and 110k miles, I think the Wrangler AT tires I have on it now are very nice for the price (at Sams Club). I use this truck to carry my ATV and it fits snugly in the bed (350 cc is about as large as will fit back there). Im not a mud-a-holic, and I dont try to drive my 2wd truck into mud pits, but I do drive near the mud pits, so I can take my 4wd atv into them. Ive never gotten my truck stuck. Even with 2wd, Ive been able to pull a Dodge Ram Diesel out of the mud. Lightweight trucks have a definite advantage in the muddy terrain of Louisiana. Truck also hauls quite well for its size. This summer I pulled a trailer and bed full of furniture from Chicago to Austin, Texas in a straight drive, no problem. Mileage diped to around 12 or so mpg pulling the trailer, but thats to be expected. Normally mileage runs around 15-16 mpg in the city, around 18 on the hwy. I just put a flowmaster 50 series exhaust on, and put a K&N airfilter on it, so I might see 1-2 mpg better. I highly recommend the flowmaster 50 muffler, great sound, not too agressive fits the truck's personality. The only two drawbacks are fairly ordinary for this kinda truck: 1) it rides like a truck, not uncomfortable but not a luxury smooth ride either. The backseat on the extra cab is not a place a grown man would want to spend any time, but its good for hauling a medium amount of stuff like hunting supplies or groceries. 2) the rear end is very light, and can spin out on you in wet or icy conditions. Main things Id recomend to help that is just take it easy on the gas when in wet/icy roads, and dont accelerate too much into turns when the conditions are lousey. You could lug around 600 lbs of weight in the back to help that, but who wants to do that? Maybe a limited slip diff would help, but I dont have one of those so I couldn't say. Overall, its a great truck. I plan to keep it until it hits at least 200k miles, and I think it'd be nice to hit 250k miles on it, just because 1/4 million miles on a truck is a nice figure. I believe it will get me there."

My First Truck

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Cup holder covers heat lever - minor"

"Bought new in 1997 never regreted the buy. Just changed the plugs and wires at 146,000. Bodywork still shines - when cleaned. Changed the oil and filter every 5,000. Hope to get another 146,000."

372,000 + MILES AND STILL GOING STRONG

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pros: "WELL WORTH THE PRICE PAID WHEN NEW, 10 TIMES OVER."

Cons: "THE NEW ONES ARE LARGER, NOT AS FUN."

"I'VE ALSO OWNER A 2006, AND ALSO HAVE A 2011, AND MY 2001 IS THE BEST. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WANTING A NEEDING A GREAT SMALLER WORK TRUCK."

This truck has been wonderful to me!

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cons: "The driver's seat belt doesn't retract very well"

"I have never had any problems with this truck and will keep it until it will not budge anymore. I recommend the Tacoma to everyone. You will not be disappointed."

This little truck is the best

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "long lasting"

Cons: "no towing capacity"

"This truck has lasted forever with no problems what so ever it will last till 300,000 miles easy and it gets great gas mileage 29 on the highway and 26 in town."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals