• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1572 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

I love my truck

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, looks good good gas mileage reliable"

Cons: "small cab cant hold car seat and spouse"

"My truck is a regular cab PreRunner 2wd. Light enough to not get stuck in the sugar sand in Florida. I take it everywhere. Pulls the Carolina skiff like a champ. Excellent gas mileage. Comfortable. Fun. Cute. Perfect truck until you need room for a car seat and spouse :)"

Workhorse

By on Monday, March 02, 2015

"This truck is insanely reliable. I bought mine on 2010 woth 175K and have it up to 240K now. Besides the usual oil and brakes, all I've done to it is an O2 sensor and valve cover gasket. It ain't fancy, it just gets the job done every day without fail."

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Pros: "Everything I mentioned in my review!"

Cons: "Not 4WD model, CA emissions when I don't need it.."

"I bought this 2002 as a lease trade-in from Tempe, AZ. It was 5 months old with 9,080 miles and in gorgeous condition. It has CA emissions (the only thing I wish it didn't have). I also wish it were 4WD because when I bought it I didnt know I was moving to NW Montana. No one has a 2WD Pre-Runner up here, they are all 4WD, lol. All the same, I've only gotten stuck once in 9 winters. A feature Blue Book doesn't let you select is the locking rear differential, or bug/rock shield...why not? I think that would definitely add value. I love the truck because in the 12 years I have owned it I have had ZERO problems, only routine maintenance. Even at this age, and since I use an outstanding sealant product called Klasse (recommended by a Toyota parts man in CA), the paint is gorgeous except for a few rock knicks (we get winters here!). I keep beefy tires on it to compensate for the 2WD (16" BFG A/T T/A KO 8ply triple-sidewall) and I've never had a flat tire despite all my travels over rough trails. It has been comfortable, reliable, no mechanical problems, most people can't believe its a 2002, my Toyota mechanic says its "excellent" both body and mechanically, I've added a Lund bug(rock)shield sprayed with Onyx, a Westin wrap-around brushguard sprayed with Onyx, had the running boards sprayed with Line-X, the entire bed/tailgate and 1" over the rails was sprayed with Vortex right after I bought it and still no sign of deterioration. No rust. Structurally sound and connections tight. It still gets BETTER than the gas mileage stated when new, even though its loaded down with a 200lb camper shell, a huge dog crate with heavy mat, a 90lb dog and a few hundred pounds of supplies. I've gotten 24mpg on highway trips, loaded like that, instead of 18 when new. I usually get 16-18 around town, instead of 15 when new. My last truck was black, so I didn't want a white truck (the glare hurts my eyes), but it has grown on me. It always looks clean, stays cool in our very hot summer and fall, and with the Klasse protecting it, the paint finish is like glass (plus it lasts 6-8 months, unlike waxing). I've Line-X'd everything important to protect, my brushguard has saved me twice (a big doe and Chevy Tahoe barely tweaked it) so I'm really a happy camper. Like I said, I just wish it was 4WD and didnt have CA emissions, I love the body style, and they are right...the clock is blocked by the right side of the steering wheel but who cares when everything else is AWESOME?!! I can only speak for my experience, but I do believe "Toyotas run forever". I believe in buying USA all the way, but not in this case. You have to get what suits your needs, and having the low maintenance and reliability has meant everything to me. The thought of trading in this truck for a new 4WD Toyota Tacoma makes me sick because I couldn't afford to re-do all the customization I've done to this one! Anyway, 10/10 is my rating after 12 years. Oh, and the reason it has 200,000 miles is because I have done lots of road trips, and have commuted 50+ miles per day for the past 9 years, so its almost all highway miles. I have found that the key to longevity is keeping up on the oil changes, and following Toyota's routine maintenance guidelines. Ok, I could go on longer but...I think you get the picture! Thanks for reading this... :)"

toughest most reliable truck on earth

By on Sunday, February 08, 2015

Pros: "tough fun reliable strong 4wd"

Cons: "rough ride but its a rough truck"

"this truck is very tough reliable and ive taken it through anything about 6 of my friends bought the same truck within a 1 year period of me buying mine"

Great truck

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pros: "good everything"

Cons: "rough ride / bouncy."

"Great truck 265K miles. still going. rough ride sometimes. good in rain. reliable 2.7 litre four cylinder."

Best truck I've Owen ever

By on Thursday, January 15, 2015

Pros: "Love to drive"

Cons: "Weak suspension"

"Great truck weak suspension"

Best truck ever made!

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "dependable,style,affordable"

"Bought this truck new in 2001,it has 108000 miles on it now and it has not had any problems ,no brake downs,it's been perfect,"

100% in sound mechanical cond. Every thing works.

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Dependable and mechnically very sound"

"Well maintained by one owner. Every thing works 100%. See it to believe it."

Love my truck!

By on Monday, January 05, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "not much room for kids"

"Bought this truck used 8 years ago and wouldn't trade it for anything! Had the 85,000 mile service (timing belt, spark plugs, etc.) done in the spring by a Toyota dealership. My truck does a great job in the snow and has moved my stuff more times than I can count. It also holds my four wheeler in the bed like a champ, even with my slimline toolbox. I would only get rid of my truck if I had to, and if I could only keep one of my 3 vehicles, it would be this truck hands down!"

great truck, reliable, good appearance, great serv

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

"Truck has been excellent, value has stayed high and reliability is excellent. Very little maintenance required. Only issue is electronics. Check engine light has been on for years and a new computer brain for $1500.0 is required, so it will stay on. This has not affected the performance but is an annoyance."

nice small truck, reliable

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

Pros: "reliability"

Cons: "not a lot of power"

"extremely Reliable, I change the oil and filter every 5000 have never had a single problem with this truck."

Best Truck I've Ever Had

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Never breaks down"

Cons: "Its not a 2015 Tacoma"

"This is the best truck I have ever owned. It never broke down, always reliable. Great little truck. 140k mi. on it and was still going strong until it was stolen out of my driveway. Found it six days later completely destroyed. It was a sad day. If I could get any other truck I would just want my 2001 Taco back in mint condition because I've never had a truck as good as this one."

Major Frame Rust

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "none"

Cons: "Frame ROT, Critical frame rust"

"**BUYER BEWARE** There was not one problem with this truck, no rust on the truck, no engine problems etc just regular upkeep until now... We just found MAJOR FRAME ROT. Was checked by Toyota in 2009 for this and they said it was "good to go". Truck just went in for tires and we were called in back by the tire guy. Frame is almost totally rusted through and ready to crack. PLEASE before buying check underneath. We now have a truck that in good faith I could not ever think of selling to anyone. No dealer in their right mind will give us anything for it except scrap value. Just got off the phone with Toyota, told sorry, nothing they could do for us. If it were a 2001...."

Best truck I have ever owned

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "Good off-road, reliable, and need I say more."

Cons: "Gas mileage is not as good as you would think."

"Truck has never let me down"

Most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "Great roadability and feels very safe"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"This truck handles as well as it did when I drove it out of the dealership and it still doesn't leak any oil. I had one recall on the front suspension and never noticed any problems before or after."

93K miles in 14 years. Only one problem.

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

"Had to replace timing belt at 45K miles as truck was losing power; otherwise routine maintenance. Done a lot of hauling for garden with bed extender. Truck still going strong."

all in all a good pick up

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"Very reliable pick up. I bought this new and the only mechanical trouble i have had is the starter motor had to be replaced about 90 k miles. Even as old as it is I can get 28/29 mpg on the highway. My model has a bench seat which can get uncomfortable on long trips. I have changed the oil and filter every 7k miles I believe that is why the engine is in good shape. The AC still works like new. All in all it has been a good pick up for me."

Good reliable truck

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "Well built"

Cons: "Rough ride"

"Well built, excellent quality vehicle"

Great truck, beat it up and it keeps on going!

By on Friday, October 17, 2014

"Great truck, beat it up and it keeps on going! No complaints about this truck at all. If mine dies tomorrow, I will be at the Tacoma dealer the next day for another one."

Best truck I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"Bought it new 2003. Have done nothing but put gas, oil, tires, wiper blades. I think I replaced a brake light bulb and maybe a side marker light bulb. Oh and exactly at 100,000 miles the check engine light came on saying I need to change my 02 Sensor. I think its just something Toyota programed in. No biggy I bought one for around $150 and put it in myself. I've had it 11 years still get compliments on it all the time, probably because of the lift kit, oversized tires, chrome grill guard, wind shield visor, hood scoop, side steps, etc... what? It takes care of me, I take care of it."

Nice looking, driving and dependable, but 2WD.

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pros: "Attractive, dependable, drives very well."

Cons: "Rusty center rear bumper and wheel rim blisters."

"Always garaged, and although it has a trailer hitch, it has never been heavily used. Only cosmetic problems are the standard Tacoma rusty center rear bumper and some blisters on the wheel rims. I would keep it until it dies, but I live in the country and need 4WD in winter."

Love this truck

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

"Bought this truck in 2000 from the dealership with only 6 miles on the odometer. Now it has 310,000 miles and it still runs great. Never had any major mechanical failures. Replaced the water pump twice. Unfortunately the paint is starting to fade from sunlight. When it rains, water finds its way into the passenger floorboard. I am not the best at changing the oil as prescribed, but the oil always looks clean - this truck does not burn oil. I am thinking of trading my old friend in on a new Tacoma but it breaks my heart to think about it. In 40 years of car ownership this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned."

Love this truck!

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "Inexpensive, excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "N/A"

"I have loved this truck since I drove it off the dealers lot back in 2003. Only regular maintenance required, with just minor things needing tweaked here and there. It's good on gas, but has enough power to get on down the road. I plan to keep this truck until it starts looking bad. Most women like to drive cars, this girl loves her truck!"

My last one and next one was and will be a Tacoma.

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "keeps chuging along and sips gas."

Cons: "no power, but who needs it."

"My last one and my next one was and will be a Tacoma."

Great Truck, great gass mileage, very reliable

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Gas, realiability"

"Truck is reliable as heck, work horse, drives smooth and looks great! I'm getting the latest model."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals