• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1585 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Economical and Dependable!

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Dependable, economical, so many uses,"

Cons: ""Dash rattle"

"My experience is that it is a bread and butter truck. Very dependable and useful. It will destroys its competition. Understandably it holds its value well. Toyota can not be beat in the light truck market because its built a very dependable vehicle. I wouldn't buy another brand. Unfortunately, I have to sell this vehicle due to financial reasons but thankfully it is very easy to sell because so many people love this truck including myself. The only downside is the "dash rattle". I haven't been able to pinpoint this annoying sound. The drive-train and engine are superb. Its easy to maintain. All the parts on this truck are inexpensive. Love this truck! Thanks Toyota!"

Kept on going no problems

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Best vehicle I ever owner in the 45 years I have b"

Cons: "not really any cons, I purchased a basic truck and"

"Owned vehicle since new, only things I had to replace are the tyres and normal maintance. Great truck for the price"

Great small truck! Best quality, average economy.

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, great reliability, comfortable interi"

Cons: "poor mpg"

"Another Toyota superstar. Great reliability and smooth ride. Enjoyable to drive. I wish it got better mpg, but it is the prerunner package with raised suspension and large tires. I would not hesitate to recommend this truck to anyone."

My Second '98 Tacoma

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Simple and dependable"

"My dad retired two years ago and gave me his '98 Tacoma Reg Cab truck. This is my second '98 Tacoma. These truck may be small and look small but they are tough. They are no non-sense styling and features but if you are looking for dependability and good on gas then this is the truck. Both of mine are 5 speeds and the only thing I have done to the first one was replacing the starter. My first truck has almost 200K and my dads only 84K, both have the original engines."

Overpriced

By on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Paid 15K for this vehicle, 7 years old but with only 55K miles. Frame rusty, but Toyota will replace free when it goes just don't expect to get it back for a few months, loaner vehicle is provided free. Interior is cheap and not the level of quality I would have expected in a truck that was $25K new. No problems with engine or tranny thus far, but am concerned with other owners posts of the tranny going at 100K. Overall, these trucks are overvalued new or used - should have bought a Nissan, I could have gotten two years newer for same price."

Excellent Mid-Size Truck

By on Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Everything about this truck is top-notch. The only thing that I gave 4 stars on was performance because when hauling with a four cylinder its lacking that "get after it" power and the ride as far as comfort goes it is smooth but lets you know that its still a truck."

the best purchase I have ever made

By on Friday, November 06, 2009

"I bought my truck w/ 161000 miles for 6500 w/ some hesitation....glad I did...95 v6 4wd extra cab...I have put this truck through it's paces and still impresses me...20 miles to a gallon, better than my wife's ford escape!!! had to replace rear leaf springs however. now I have 310000 miles, mostly highway, but the truck runs like a dream!!! Great for hauling mulch, gravel, wood, moving, etc.....If you have the proper tires your good. A little light in the rear end in the winter though."

Excellant value small pickup

By on Friday, November 06, 2009

"I am the original owner of this Tacoma. After 105,000 miles I have spent $395.00 for a Idle Control Valve. All other expenses were maintance costs. An excellant truck. I hope this Tacoma keeps going for another 300,000 miles as I do not like the new Tacoma's. To big."

Don't but this year Tacoma

By on Monday, August 11, 2008

"Nice truck, but the frames rust real bad. I bought it brand new in 1996. Waxed and cleaned it regularly. Now there are chunks of rust, not flakes, chunks falling off the frame on to my garage floor. I only have 38500 miles on it and no body rust at all, but holes in the frame. Looks brand new until you crawl under it."

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"As a previous Toyota service advisor, I am probably biased. However, I bought my 04 Tacoma based on a customer's vehicle having travelled 668,000 miles before being sold so he could buy a new one. That truck is still running around today. I love my truck, have some minor modifications (lift, tires, frt bumper, sliders) and have found the vehicle to be extremely reliable. I just do the service (fluid changes, filters, adjustments, etc.) and the vehicle starts every day without fail. I have even left the truck sitting for couple days at a time and starts 1st time. I would very strongly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable, utilitarian, usable truck, especially if you do not need a full-size truck. My one recommendation to take it to the dealer for service. It might be a little more expensive, but they know what to look for and keep an eye on to make sure the truck lasts forever."

Great little truck!

By on Saturday, January 26, 2008

"I bought my Tacoma new in 2004. Except for the 5-speed manual transmission, this has been a very fun vehicle to own. The tranny developed a "whine" in 3rd gear shortly after purchase, which the dealer fixed under warranty - it turned out to be a rather major repair, unusual for a Toyota. Since then, no problems. The truck feels solid, though there are a couple of dashboard squeeks that bug me, my understanding is that these are common in the 95-04 models. Economy with the small 4 is good, about 23 in town to 27 for steady freeway driving. The vehicle isn't fast but then again it is the SMALL 2.4 four cyl engine. Climbing hills in the Sierras is a bit of a challenge - not the engine to have if you life up there. For the vast majority of city driving performance is perky enough. For me, its a great to/from work vehicle and occasional light hauler - I specifically bought the 04 because I knew the 05s were going "mid-size." Hey, it's paid for too, looks great, and will probably run a very long time!"

Know what you want!

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"I have owned this truck for 4 years. I really like the style and the V-6 power. The xtra cab is very useful when you don't expect it. It's also reliable; I have never had a problem with it. The consumer should know it drives like a truck; rough ride on rough roads. The gas mileage isn't that great with the larger tires; 15-17 mpg for city driving. Also, with the rear wheel drive, you need to be an experienced driver in snowy or icy conditions; this vehicle fishtails very easily without weight in the truck bed."

bomb-proof

By on Saturday, January 05, 2008

"I bought my '98 taco in '01 with 18,000 miles on it. Since then it has been across the country twice, from pulling stuck F-150s out of sand in the deserts of Utah to scaling muddy mountains in New Mexico to fording lakes in New Hampshire. I have not been gentle to this machine and it has handled every bit of abuse dished out. It is at 130,000 right now and I have done my share of routine replacement (water pump, timing belt, plugs, etc) but when it comes down to needing unflappable reliability, the taco delivers. My only drawback is that it a bit tight for a 6'3" brother like myself. Maybe the new ones are a bit roomier."

Best Truck in the World

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"I got my Toyota used 9 years ago. I have never had a problem with it and it has never let me down. It's not the most comfortable ride ever, but it is a truck and that is to be expected. If you are thinking about it, don't hesitate."

i love my truck

By on Monday, October 01, 2007

"Ilove my truck ,sometimes i think of trading it in on a newer or bigger pickup but why ,its paid for, it does everything i need it to do , i pull a horse trailer with it, a snowmachine trailer, i drive it up the mountain and back down it again, no problem ,no worries.ive had this truck for7 years all its cost me is gas and oil changes"

277000 miles strong runs like new!! The BEST!

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"Family owned since new in 1995!! Iv driven this truck since new! 4x4,5 speed, 4 cyl. Engine runs like new! Uses about a quart of oil to 10,000 miles only! The first fix was at 200,000 miles a starter. Wow what a TRUCK! This was the first Toyota in our family. We have just bought two new Toyota cars this year. Origional clutch in truck! This truck will stay in the family for a long time!"

Great midsize truck

By on Monday, August 06, 2007

"I've owned several Toyotas and this one has been my favorite. The 04 Tacoma is a very nice, reliable, quality truck. All around, its got just about everything you could ask from a midsize truck. The only complaint I would have, would be the comfort level for a big guy. Im about 6'3", 200 lbs. For the most part, while driving the truck, I can't straighten out my legs because of my size.(But hey that's not the truck's fault!). I would definately recommend this truck, if your looking for a midsize.."

1997 Tacoma LX

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"Reliable. Excellent quality. Durable. The great little truck with a harsh ride. My 1997 Tacoma is a 5-speed LX model, 2 wheel drive. It has acheived 178,000 miles to date (Aug-07) with very few problems - starter and clutch went well after 150,000 miles."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I bought my truck new in the fall of '99 and it has been a great reliable vehicle. No major problems thus far. Only items replaced is windshield wipers, tires and oil/air filters. Drives like a small truck, but that would be expected"

Couldn't be better.

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"Very reliable; high quality ride with great power for a small truck. Looks great. Another successful product from Toyota."

Never should have put a 4-cylinder in this truck

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Reliable beyond belief, will likely run forever"

Cons: "4-cynlinder, odd placement of components"

"My biggest complaint about this truck is the four cylinder engine. This is not a large truck, but four cylinders is not large enough for the truck. The exceleration leaves much to be desired; a problem I think could be fixed with a six cylinder engine. Maintance can be difficult due to odd placement of several components, including: oil filter, O-2 sensors and belts. Reliable beyond belief. I bought it used in 2008 with 76,000 miles. Several cross country trips and 59,000 miles later, she still runs like new"

Excellent Truck, Very Reliable and easy to drive!!

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Very Reliable, Easy to drive, also fun to drive."

"Great vehicle. I bought new and have owned 11 years with no problems. A/C still blows 47 degrees. Only basic maintenance has been needed such as tires and oil changes."

Very reliable and economic; very few repairs in 4Y

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

"I love this truck; it has served me well. Very reliable, with hardly any problems. Just routine maintenance."

My second Toyota truck great dependable vehicle

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "dependable holds its value"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my second Toyota truck and i can always depend on it. you keep regular maintenance on it it will serve you well. worth the value and trade in value too. one downside is the mpg. you would think its time for a truck to have the same gas mileage they are making cars these days. why do mfg hold back when we know its possible? other than that i love my Toyota and would buy another if i didnt care about gas mileage"

awesome truck. smooth ride.

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "doesn't get the best gas mileage I've seen."

"Fantastic truck. I have owned my 99 Tacoma Sr5 since 2002. I have not had any problems with it, only regular maintenance type service. It has only 105,000 miles on it. It is my baby. I get a lot of people tell me how nice it is. They ask if it's my nd or husbands truck. Omg...as if. I smile and say it's mine...I just know how to take care of a vehicle."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals