• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Based on 1536 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

Fun reliable truck,

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable, excellent mileage for a truck,"

Cons: "not enough power to haul , cab small"

"For a small truck this vehicle does it all. It handles well off road, got great gas mileage on the highway, was great for hauling small toys, moving friends, and doing yard improvements. In 7 years of ownership we only put regular maintenance and a few minor body repairs ( the lights seemed to pop out.) But even these repairs we reasonably prices , especially compared to other foreign made cars."

Best light truck ever made

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, functional, off-road readiness"

Cons: "they stopped making these in 2004 ... what?! Why?"

"This era - 1998 through 2004 - marks the pinnacle of Toyota's reign as dominant small truck manufacturer. I am a field biologist. I live in my truck some 100+ days a year. That's right: I live in my truck. I drive >15000 miles a year on dirt roads, often in 4x4. This truck is as tough as you can get in the US. Bar none. I've watched coworkers with some of these vehicles reach >>300000 miles. A good friend of mine got almost 450000 out of his. I'm not kidding. The first 190000 miles of hard livin' in this rig were completely maintenance free, even with my daunting "commute". My starter was finally changed at 220000. My clutch at 225000. My tie rods and rack/pinion at 230000. My radiator at 250000. And now a valve job is called for at 260000. But the engine burns no oil and has never overheated, even though I drive in 4-Low for dozens of miles a day in desert heat that routinely exceeds 110F. No brainer: fix the truck and get another 100000 miles out of this engine. An unbelievable value, really. The rig has paid for itself as a work vehicle many, many, many times over."

Fun truck but ultimately a failure.

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Reason: Rusted out frame.

Pros: "Monster in the snow/offroad. Great brakes/power."

Cons: "Bad mileage/realiability/frame"

"I bought my 99 Taco in 00. It had 20K on it and I paid 19,500 for it. It was a TRD 4x4 V6 5Spd extra cab. I loved its looks features and capablities. Most impressive other than the TRD package, 190hp V6 with the 31.5" tires was the braking a huge improvment over my 87 Ranger and the hight quality feel it had (no ding when you closed the door kinda things). Then the dissappointments started. My 87 ranger V6 4x4 5 spd got 21mpg... my new super taco NEVER did better than 17.5mpg. Then before hitting 100K the truck needed an alternator, starter, and water pump. It also has a timing belt which needs to be replaced at 100K (much prefer a chain). The clutch also went around 100k (common for the V6 im told). The tape deck experienced and issue and i replaced it and 2 rear axel seals went bad. The e brake light became unrelaible and the ventilation fan began to occasionally squeek. Through all that i kept it as at this point it was paid for and semi retired as I had finally accepted the falacy of driving a truck to work every day in an office and bought a car getting 31mpg. Then it failed WV inspection (I didnt thing that was possible) because the frame had rusted through. I took it to Toyota and they bought it back off of me at 150% KBB value in excellent condition (its condition was very good but thats what Toyota does wth these rotten frame trucks they buy back). So i got 12,500 for a truck i bought 11 years prior put 115K on (total of around 135K) and about 4K of repairs into through the years. I expeccted better mileage and MUCH better realiblity esepcailly from Toyota. I now accept and understand that little trucks arent really any good at commutting or work."

Good truck

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and tough."

Cons: "Vile ride and some awfully cheap touches"

"2nd owner of Tacoma TRD and its been a good one. Very reliable. Only 2 trips to shop, one to replace O2 sensor and to get a new wiper fluid reservoir. There are some cheap touches like the doors have little padding and sound reducing material, the visors might have come off a 1985 Yugo and the ride...lets don't go there. Its tough and will go most any place off road."

Very reliable and practical, fun to drive

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, always good to go"

Cons: "V6 doesn't get great MPG's"

"I purchased this truck 10 years ago when it was new. Over the years I've had to replace the battery, tires, shocks and the odd light. With the V6 engine it has great power, but doesn't get great gas mileage. I average 21 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg around town. The 4wd is awesome and it does very well off road. The ride on the highway isn't bad, but it's a truck and that's to be expected. I've never had any mechanical problems with my truck. It starts even when it's -30 F outside. The dealership I purchased it from originally always sends me offers to trade it in, but honestly they can't beat the value this truck gives me. I still like driving it 10 years later. I recommend it, not only because it's been so reliable, but also because it's held it's value so well over the years. It's was well worth the money."

The best truck I ever had.

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Dependability"

Cons: "No clothes hanger."

"This is the Eveready of pickup trucks. Very dependable and held its value pretty strongly as compared to domestic trucks of the same category. Toyota's are built strong and last long."

Best pick-up I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, quality, resale."

Cons: "Duh...uh, let's see....uh.....well, nothing!"

"It's hard to believe but for the 2 yrs after I purchased this vehicle new (2004), I could have sold it for more than I paid!! The resale now, for this 10 yr old truck, is still phenomenal. My guess is that the top quality and reliability of Toyota trucks in general is the main reason for maintaining it's value. Other than a major tune-up at 90k, I've done absolutely nothing to maintain this truck. As far as wear/tear items, I've replaced the battery twice, had the front brakes done twice. OEM tires (forgot the brand) went 58k, my replacement set (Yokohama Geolander's) are at 58k and will probably go another 5-10k. (Current mileage is 116k). Since I've retired, this truck is no longer my daily driver and I expect it'll go another 100k! I might go before it does!"

Outstanding small truck

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Strong, well buit reliable vhehicle."

Cons: "A bit wind resistance due to it;s hight."

"Bought this truck new. Loved it ever since."

Never should have put a 4-cylinder in this truck

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Reliable beyond belief, will likely run forever"

Cons: "4-cynlinder, odd placement of components"

"My biggest complaint about this truck is the four cylinder engine. This is not a large truck, but four cylinders is not large enough for the truck. The exceleration leaves much to be desired; a problem I think could be fixed with a six cylinder engine. Maintance can be difficult due to odd placement of several components, including: oil filter, O-2 sensors and belts. Reliable beyond belief. I bought it used in 2008 with 76,000 miles. Several cross country trips and 59,000 miles later, she still runs like new"

Dependable Everywhere You Go

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Good for taking the kids."

Cons: "Not for 'big truck' utility."

"Bought this quad cab used with 70K, a few dents, and the power door locks not working. I've got 130K on it with only the usual factory recommended maint. and repairs. Factory electric controls for windows died at 40k,brake cylinders died (rusted) at 90K, ABS died at 110K. Factory extras included bedliner, locking rear differential, tow package, alloy wheels, and tinted windows. Pros: Not quite 4WD but locking diff will get you up and through 80% of the gritty stuff but not snow-ice or sand. Tough and overbuilt so you can't really overload it. I've carried 50+ cinder blocks, 30+ bags of wood mulch, 20 pcs of 4 x 6 x 8 lumber, etc with no ill effects. The quad cab is great if you have kids or passengers (rear seat) that are under 5'5. Front controls and seating space is good for up to a 6' - 6'2 driver. Cons: Can't see clock on dash due to steering wheel; cup holders interfere with dash and shift. Once your passengers hit the over 5'5" height, the rear seat is not a good option for rides longer than 45 minutes. The bed is too short if you have to carry plumbing, electrical, or carpentry items that are full length even if you drop the tailgate and use the bed extender."

Excellent Truck, Very Reliable and easy to drive!!

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Very Reliable, Easy to drive, also fun to drive."

"Great vehicle. I bought new and have owned 11 years with no problems. A/C still blows 47 degrees. Only basic maintenance has been needed such as tires and oil changes."

Bought it used. Runs like new.

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Great in the snow and great drive"

Cons: "None..."

"This is probably the last vehicle I'll ever buy. It's an 04 and the value has gone up since I bought it last year. I have an old Caddie weekend cruiser that I now seldom take out. The truck is such a pleasure to drive."

best truck I've ever owned

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

"When I bought this truck in July 2003 it had 6 miles on it, today it has 409000 original mil. I'm buying another one soon"

Outstanding

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Reason: larger truck

"Bought new, sold just after 10 years passed for larger truck. Only thing went was battery after 8 years. Long time average was 22.5 MPG."

Getting too old to drive so must sell before Augus

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "very dependable and great second car."

Cons: "Only holds two people and a small dog."

"This truck is a worker. I bought it used (barely) from a private owner. It's been a great little car. Very dependable. Never did have to do much to it except buy tires, change oil and regular maintenance. The reason I am selling is I'm going to be 85 soon and I don't drive it that much. It has been kept in a garage the whole time I've owned it about 12 years. It has low milege for its age. It has a few dings but never been in an accident. Just general wear and tear. The towing package was on it when I bought it as was the cab."

One of the best vehicles I have owned.

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Good price, good service, good milage."

Cons: "nothing negative."

"Great pickup. A little small for my 6'4" frame but I manage. Have driven the vehicle to So. Cal and back several times towing a 16' tool trailer and it does well. I get about 22 highway miles."

Best truck ever owned, over 200,000 miles

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "They dont break"

Cons: "Whish I had got the Xtra cab"

"Would jump in this truck on a moments notice and drive across country with no worry's. These trucks don't get resold just passed on to family members..so reliable !!!"

The best made vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Solid vehicle, dependable, great looking"

Cons: "less than great MPG's. Short people only!"

"The best made vehicle I have ever owned. At the time I purchased my Tacoma, I had little money and few options. I bought this truck off the lot as a late 2001 in the early 2002 season for $16,000. It had to serve me for the long haul and I knew this would most likely be the best bet. I have owned Toyota vehicles for many years because of their endurance and my Tacoma was no different. It is now going on thirteen years and it is still going strong."

Toyota 2002 Best Truck in Texas

By on Monday, May 26, 2014

"Great on gas, super a/c, very clean inside just about like new, No problems whatsoever. My husband has went through 4 cars and my truck bets all of his vehicles."

does what it was made for

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

"I take care of it and it takes care of me.17 years old sometimes I think about getting a new one but cant find a good enough reason. I am sure this truck will run forever!"

Excellent Truck!

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Worth the extra you pay for a Toyota"

Cons: "Cost a few thousand more than a Nissan"

"Beside changing the oil, I only had to fix the air conditioning for $800 for the last 14 years. Awesome Truck."

most reliable truck and motor out there

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "over all a great truck and good in the woods"

Cons: "small cab space not a lot of leg room"

"never had to fix any thing on this truck the frame on it before i had it replaced was still solid. but thanks to the loyalty of toyota they replaced it any way. i also have my truck lifted 6in with 35in tires and i beat this thing and it still runs and drives better then any other car truck ex. great truck all the way around and would recommend to anyone interested. the motor in my truck is the 2.7 4 cylinder which is also the most reliable motor toyota has ever made in my opinion"

Very reliable and economic; very few repairs in 4Y

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

"I love this truck; it has served me well. Very reliable, with hardly any problems. Just routine maintenance."

Never any trouble; I keep up maintainance.

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Great truck requires low maintenance; handy"

Cons: "Seats just 2 people."

"The only reason I am looking at a change is that I rarely use bed of truck for moving/hauling any more. I want to 'ride' more than 1 person - I want more comfort, too."

15 years of reliability!!

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Durable, reliable, great looking, runs forever"

Cons: "4cyl engine lacks power"

"I bought this 1997 Tacoma used in 2000 with 34k miles on it. Other than regular maintenance (oil changes, radiator and transmission flushes, tires, brake pads, spark plugs and wires) I have not had any major issues with this truck. Haven't had a car payment since 2005 and have not had to sink much money into keeping this truck running. Still running the original water pump, fuel pump, alternator and even the rear brakes! These vehicles are built to last and if you take care of them they will give you years and years of reliability. Never left me stranded!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Double Cab near Honolulu. See local deals