2009 Toyota Sienna

Based on 662 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

If not for the gas mileage...

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"...this would be the greatest van ever built! It's roomy, comfy and versatile. We drove from Tacoma, WA to SoCal a couple years ago. We had plenty of room for all of us (2 adults, 3 kids - one still in diapers at the time) and all our stuff. The fact that we can plug the game system into the DVD system is awesome! Very little "are we there yet" from the back of the van. But the gas mileage is horrendus! I'm averaging 17.3 overall, right around 14 (usually less) in town, and most of my driving is in town. There is a problem with the transmission, which I'm sure is the reason for the poor gas mileage. I've had it into two dealerships a total of at least a half a dozen times to fix the issue, but they can't find anything wrong with it. They claimed to have fixed it last year, but after two weeks was back to its old self. The problem is well documented among Camry owners (the Sienna has a Camry engine), yet they still can't seem to get it fixed. I'm getting ready to trade it in for a Highlander (the only SUV with comparable space that gets better gas mileage). I can't afford to spend $80/week (sometimes more) in gas. If not for that issue, I'd drive it till it died."

Run Flat Tire Frustration

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"We have 41K miles on a 2005 all wheel drive Sienna that we purchased new. We have replaced the very expensive run flat tires 4x!! That is 4 SETS of tires in 41K miles. We were told that the vehicle does not track properly due to the manufacturer. Toyota, however, did not take responsibility and through the local dealer blamed the tire manufacturer. Toyota did, however, 1x replace all 4 run flat tires for free -- this set also lasted about 10K miles. Now we again have to buy a new set of 4 tires. If you go to standard tires you save money but the vehicle has no spare and the tires don't last any longer than the run flat tires. (We were also told that we had to replace all four rims to use non-run flat tires. This does not seem to be the case.) Calling our local Toyota dealer, we were offered an expensive "deal" including a spare wheel, spare cover and jack (it has no jack either). This option takes up storage space in the back. Storage space is a big reason we wanted a minivan. There are few good options here. VERY expensive vehicle to operate if you factor in replacing all four ties every 10K - 13K miles and 16 combined MPG."

Reliability, Comfort and Styling

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"Extremely happy with our 2004 Sienna XLE with 103,000 mi after 4 yrs. In four years we have only done routine maintenance, no other repairs. No prob in cold with sliding doors as some report. Looks stylish, less like a mini-van. Previous two mini-vans were Grand Voyagers--this is just as comfortable now that "full" size in 2004 model, yet with Toyota reliability. In 2 Chryslers we had 5 transmissions. My wife drives it daily and the navigation is truly a great time saver and safety, especially at night when street signs are hard to read. I drive 1994 Camry with 285k mi and big surprise in Sienna is its turning radius seems better than my Camry! Wow. Great for family vacations with bikes on roof--3 kids and wife watch movies in back while I drive and listen to my iPod. My only complaint, i would prefer clear rather than tinted windows for visibility, especially when backing up at nite. Rear camera helps when backing up. 3-zone heating/A/C system is great, though the controls could be simplified. Nice ride on long trips to Cleveland (17 hrs) where our daughter is attending college."

I never wanted a minivan until...

By on Thursday, June 14, 2007

"I never wanted a minivan until I had four kids that I was trying to load and unload out of a suburban. While my city mpg is only around 16-17mpg, that is much better than the 11mpg my suburban gets and I have gotten as much as 30 mpg on the hwy. Even at top speeds on the highway, you have great instant performance to pass anything in your way. Acceleration is ample and steering is responsive. Braking is excellent. All the controls are where you would expect them to be. We bought our 06 Sienna at a year old off lease and couldn't be happier with the options and ammenities we got for $20k compared to the other competitors. It has the options I needed without the sticker price of the odyssey, and I know it will last forever without mechanical problems unlike caravans and lower end vans. I think it is the best looking minivan on the road, and the kids love how much room they have. We also like the versatility of the 8 seats, the available up front position of the middle seat the slides right up to the front seats for easy reach of a toddler or infant, and the stow in the floor rear seating/size of cargo area...even with 4 kids, our seating arrangements are not limited and the seating itself is very comfortable, roomy, and did I mention head room? The instrumentation panel is bright and the interior has a nice finish, not cheap. I can't say enough things about this minivan, I really love it!"

Love My Sienna

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "Nice, comfortable, reliable. Lots of extras"

Cons: "You get what you pay for, so it aint cheap"

"We have taken a trip to florida as soon as we bought this vehical it was awsome! It flies down the highway but feels like youre not going fast, watch youre speed. Very comfortable for the whole family. We also took it too colorado. Looking at selling and buying a newer sienna. LOVE IT"

my second great Sienna

By on Friday, October 16, 2009

"This 2004 is my second Sienna, and I plan on a third this next momth. 85,000 miles, never been in the shop, nor was the first one. Mileage averages 23 city/highway. and we love the room for travel luggage. It is easier to get in/out of than any vehicle in my 60 years of driving. This is my 7th Toyota, and all have been 100% dependable. Love this car!!!!"

Love MY Van

By on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"I was one of those Moms who swore "I will never drive a minivan!!" Well now I do and I love it!!! It is so comfortable and drives so well. Right now I have one of the 2nd row seats removed so there is a ton of open space to get in and help my small kids. I live in southern FL and in the summer time it is either raining or HOTT, it is so nice to turn on the vehicle place the kids in and then crawl in, out of the elements and get them in their seats and ready to go. It is FAST too, my Husband always jokes that my grocery getter is the fastest car he has ever owned. I love this car, I would buy another one in a heart beat!!"

Perfect family car

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"My four teenagers no longer fit in my 1994 Volvo wagon so we bought the 2005 Sienna XLE. The Volvo is nimble and quick, I love driving it but my husband was insisting on buying a large SUV and we had clearly outgrown the Volvo. The Sienna is the perfect compromise - it has the capacity of a large SUV but doesn't drive like a truck, it still feels like you're driving a car (granted a pretty large car). I have been very surprised at how quickly I adapted to the Sienna and abandoned my beloved Volvo. Now I can drive around half the lacrosse team and all their gear. It has a surprisingly small turning radius considering how big it is. I love all the power sliding doors and power tailgate. The only small complaint I have is that the material the dash is made out of can be easily scuffed by kids wayward feet. That's a pretty small complaint! The Sienna fit into our family perfectly and we all love it, even my husband agrees that it's the perfect choice for us - he enjoys getting much better gas mileage than the large SUV's get - we get about 17.5 MPG around town."

hit a deer...no fear!

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"We are now on our 2nd Sienna. I just love it. When you talk about crash safety, a minivan may not be the first car on your list, but let me tell you, this one is great. Case in point...we owned our first Sienna exactly 20 minutes when a deer hit us. We were driving thru Deerfield Township OH (go figure) on a major freeway doing 65 mph, when out of nowhere came a huge doe. Before my husband could react, we slammed head on into the side of her, and the force swung her around and she clipped our drivers side door. Brand-new, 2004 XLE. The front end was smashed, the drivers door scraped, the windshield only slightly cracked. The sound was loud, but the vehicle handled perfectly as we slowed it down and pulled to the side of the road. When I surveyed the damage I knew one thing for sure. If we had been in a shorter, smaller car we might have been killed. That deer would have come thru our windshield without a doubt. The front bumper was a mess, the hood buckled from the force, but the interior looked like nothing had happened at all. Let me tell you, that is important. The car can be fixed easily. The people, not so much. (Our 2 year old daughter slept thru the whole thing). I knew right then and there we had bought the right car for our family. The vehicle was fixed, and looked and drove brand new. We had it 4 years without a problem, before we traded it in, for another Sienna!"

Good minivan

By on Monday, September 15, 2008

"We bought this van new in March 08, and had since made 8 trips back to the dealer for work on an engine noise they were unable to diagnose. Ended up being a poorly made heat shield...beware of a strange vibration noise. Overall a good van, although a bit disappointed in the quality, as my problem started at 5000 miles. Outstanding customer service at the dealer would have me consider buying another Toyota."