2008 Toyota Sienna

Based on 700 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

best van

By on Sunday, January 31, 2010

"I have 05 Sienna LE (243K miles) and 05 Sienna CE (205K miles). I would recomment LE as it's quality is better comparing to CE. We've been riding those cars very hard. They are 4.5 years old right now. Gas Mileage ranges from 21-24 MPG in city to 24 (80 mph) - 27 (65 mph) on highway. We use Synthesic oil and do oil changes every 15K or so. So far, we changed timing belts at around 150K, right wheel bearings (242K on LE, 150K on CE.), and ceramic brake pads every 40K. Also, driver door stops broke on both cars in their first year due to bad quality welding job. It happened after cars reached 36K, so we did not bother fixing that. Also, radio volume bottons went bad a few months ago on both cars, but LE has volume controls on the steering wheel that still work fine. Otherwise, both Siennas outperformed (gas mileage, quality, and comfort) all other vans (10) that we have or had before. I hope to see one of my vans going over 300K within a year. My next van is going to be a Sienna too."

I swore I'd never own a minivan!

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"This is my third Sienna. We leased the first two and realized that we should just own one. We bought my '04 Sienna in June of 2003. I saw the new design and thought the 8 seater was awesome and I had to have one. The drive is great. It's spacious inside. Tons of storage. I love that the back seats drop into the floor and it's like having a truck. I've moved an entire bedroom in the back. (I did take the 2nd row seats out) So after the driving the "mommyvan" for five years, with long trips to North Carolina, Ohio and Florida, and two hurricane evacuations, all with 3 kids, I have to say that I love it and can't imagine how we could've gotten along without it. Here is the one complaint I have, and this is with the folks who design them. I couldn't get an 8 seater with double power doors and power hatch. The XLE's that have power everything only come with 7 seats and leather. I thought that was dumb. Back on the positive side, I have to mention that it's like a timex. One of my boys, for some reason, decided to wedge a baseball in the hatch while it was open. I didn't notice, and the hydraulic thingy popped off when I tried to close it and the hatch came crashing down. I put it back together and it was fine. We parked on a hill in N.C. and the not-power side door got away from the six year old and actually came off the track. With a little doing, we got it back on and no problems since. Hopefully it'll keep running great for years to come. If it can survive my family, it can survive anything."

Excellent overall vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"I was reluctant to buy a minivan, thinking it would feel like I was driving a bus. With 3 children, I didn't have many choices. I'm so glad I bought this Toyota. It handles beautifully, feels sporty, despite being a van, and has been exceptionally reliable. The inside is roomy enough to take lots of luggage and kids' bikes on long trips. I really haven't had any complaints. Great car!"

This vans gets amazing mpg

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"My family bought a 2008 Sienna 8 passenger LE in March 08. No problems. Highway MPG is amazing considering the size, volume available, and the power the vehicle possesses. On highway trips (we frequent the mountains) we average 30 mpg, and have never gotten less than 27 - this is driving the speed limit on the interstate (75 mph), not poking along. In town, we routinely get 20 mpg - if you stay off the accelerator. I don't understand those that claim they get poor mileage unless they drive around in 1st gear. My wife and I argued about which vehicle we wanted, but ultimately she won. And I'm glad. We have a vehicle that gets respectable mileage considering its size and power. It will set you back in the seat. It's not like driving a van. It's no sports car, but it has more than enough power and it's smooth, thanks to a 6 speed transmission. We liked the Honda, but ultimately we chose the Sienna because of it's ride, power and options. Plus, the price my wife negotiated was about $2,000 less than an equivalent Honda."

Good, solid vehicle

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

"Great van, very comfortable. I have a 2004 with close to 47,000 miles on it now. The only issues have been a failed window motor and a coolant sensor, both replaced under warranty. Beware the gas mileage though. We have averaged 17.7 MPG since new in mixed highway and suburban driving. It will get 25-26 MPG if you keep it around 60-65 MPH on the highway, but we usually do around 70-75 on the interstates and mileage then drops to 22-23 MPG. The best replacement for the original tires, which wear quickly, are the Yokohama's, a steal at around $100 each installed and rated for 80,000 miles."

Hasn't left me stranded yet....2005 Sienna XLE AWD

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pros: "Roomy, love the AWD feature"

Cons: "Sliding door issues - Big safety concern"

"LOVED (past tense) this van when I initially purchased it. Except now the passenger sliding door has failed. Cable got stuck in the wheel. When you google this issue there are TONS of people with the same problem, but I only found this out when I encountered this issue myself. There is now even a Facebook page dedicated to this defect in the Sienna (cable failure in sliding door). The door will not open or close, not even manually. I had to drive home with my door wide open. My husband eventually cut the cable, per other owners advice, and now I can close the door manually. The cost to repair is around $1,600. I am keeping a wire cutter in my car in case it happens to the other side. Spoke w/ Toyota and the dealership and both deny that this is an issue. Basically neither was able to explain why the door doesn't have an override feature to allow me to manually close the door. Sure paid enough for this vehicle for something so simple to go wrong."

Love it

By on Saturday, March 22, 2008

"We needed an 8 passenger vehicle, and were limited to this and the Honda Odyssy. Our local Honda dealership did not have any instock at the time we were looking so we only tried the Sienna. We absolutely love it. The only things I would change is the back up sensors. I hate them. They go off randomly as far as I can tell. They beep frequently when pulling out of the garage as they can sense the door frame on the sides, as if I didn't know. Then I can back almost into the fence behind my house and it doesn't go off, but it will again when the driveway dips a bit, hate it, I override it automatically now. Hit reverse, hit override. The other thing I would change about mine is it only has one power door, I would prefer to have both rear doors powered as well as the rear door. We can fit three carseats in the rear bench seat, which was the selling point for us. Ours has anchors in all but one position in the rear, The seats fold up easily for cleaning, and plenty of drink holders in the back as well as the front. The middle seats don't have access to enough cup holders, but each door has a bottle holder which is fine for the older kids. I've ridden a couple of times in the middle and rear and there is plenty of room for an adult in each case, although it would probably not be good for longer trips, but airport runs are fine. Anyway, love it. We bought new so all repairs have been covered under the warranty. The only overnight stay at the service department was for a broken fuel pump."

Frustrasting poor quality

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Great ride and power, plenty of room, love the folding rear seats, excellent on long drives. No engine probems after 65K miles. After only 40K miles we had to have the driver and passenger front doors re-welded and repaired at a cost of over $1000. The passenger front window has also failed and the repair estimate is $1400. These are *very* basic quality issues. I am expecting more issues in the years ahead and plan to unload this dog and buy a Honda. How can you pay almost $30K for a car that has such basic problems."

Very Nice Vehicle - Some Issues

By on Friday, August 21, 2009

"We bought a brand new 2007 LE model (the first brand new car I've ever owned). We really like the car - very comfortable, tons of power, plenty of room and great gas mileage (20-21 around town, 25-27 on trips). Unfortunately we also had a few issues in the 1st 36K miles of ownership. First the power door lock module went out on the passenger door at around 30K miles. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Then at 35K miles, the driver's side power door lock module went out as well as the passenger's visor light (not a big deal for the visor light, but I was getting annoyed at this point). Both items were fixed under warranty again. We decided to purchase the extended warranty in case we had any further issues (the lock modules alone were over $500/each plus installation - glad it wasn't on my dime!) It's good we did since now the driver's seat belt latch mechanism is giving us problems. We really like the van, but I don't think we should have had 3 repairs before the 36K mile warranty expired and another that will be required before 40K miles."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"We have owned this veh since 2004 and have not had any problems with it. It has over 175000 miles and is still going strong"