2004 Toyota Sienna

Based on 673 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

I swore I'd never own a minivan!

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"This is my third Sienna. We leased the first two and realized that we should just own one. We bought my '04 Sienna in June of 2003. I saw the new design and thought the 8 seater was awesome and I had to have one. The drive is great. It's spacious inside. Tons of storage. I love that the back seats drop into the floor and it's like having a truck. I've moved an entire bedroom in the back. (I did take the 2nd row seats out) So after the driving the "mommyvan" for five years, with long trips to North Carolina, Ohio and Florida, and two hurricane evacuations, all with 3 kids, I have to say that I love it and can't imagine how we could've gotten along without it. Here is the one complaint I have, and this is with the folks who design them. I couldn't get an 8 seater with double power doors and power hatch. The XLE's that have power everything only come with 7 seats and leather. I thought that was dumb. Back on the positive side, I have to mention that it's like a timex. One of my boys, for some reason, decided to wedge a baseball in the hatch while it was open. I didn't notice, and the hydraulic thingy popped off when I tried to close it and the hatch came crashing down. I put it back together and it was fine. We parked on a hill in N.C. and the not-power side door got away from the six year old and actually came off the track. With a little doing, we got it back on and no problems since. Hopefully it'll keep running great for years to come. If it can survive my family, it can survive anything."

best van

By on Sunday, January 31, 2010

"I have 05 Sienna LE (243K miles) and 05 Sienna CE (205K miles). I would recomment LE as it's quality is better comparing to CE. We've been riding those cars very hard. They are 4.5 years old right now. Gas Mileage ranges from 21-24 MPG in city to 24 (80 mph) - 27 (65 mph) on highway. We use Synthesic oil and do oil changes every 15K or so. So far, we changed timing belts at around 150K, right wheel bearings (242K on LE, 150K on CE.), and ceramic brake pads every 40K. Also, driver door stops broke on both cars in their first year due to bad quality welding job. It happened after cars reached 36K, so we did not bother fixing that. Also, radio volume bottons went bad a few months ago on both cars, but LE has volume controls on the steering wheel that still work fine. Otherwise, both Siennas outperformed (gas mileage, quality, and comfort) all other vans (10) that we have or had before. I hope to see one of my vans going over 300K within a year. My next van is going to be a Sienna too."

Great van, a few warts

By on Thursday, April 02, 2009

"Mostly terrific and reliable van. A few complaints - a faulty door seal on the drivers side that seems to befuddle the dealers. Some wind noise is ok, but in a crosswind, the driver door sounds like the window was left open just a crack. The van has a few more rattles and squeaks than I'd like in this price range (XLE with Luxury package). the transmission needs to be a little more decisive at low speeds, as the "coast, then accelerate" seems to confuse it a bit. The factory Bridgestones were absolutely awful tires - zero snow traction and didn't even last 30K miles. Otherwise, very comfy, plenty of power, tons of space and mileage is good, bordering on outstanding if you don't speed too much."

Excellent overall vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

"I was reluctant to buy a minivan, thinking it would feel like I was driving a bus. With 3 children, I didn't have many choices. I'm so glad I bought this Toyota. It handles beautifully, feels sporty, despite being a van, and has been exceptionally reliable. The inside is roomy enough to take lots of luggage and kids' bikes on long trips. I really haven't had any complaints. Great car!"

This vans gets amazing mpg

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"My family bought a 2008 Sienna 8 passenger LE in March 08. No problems. Highway MPG is amazing considering the size, volume available, and the power the vehicle possesses. On highway trips (we frequent the mountains) we average 30 mpg, and have never gotten less than 27 - this is driving the speed limit on the interstate (75 mph), not poking along. In town, we routinely get 20 mpg - if you stay off the accelerator. I don't understand those that claim they get poor mileage unless they drive around in 1st gear. My wife and I argued about which vehicle we wanted, but ultimately she won. And I'm glad. We have a vehicle that gets respectable mileage considering its size and power. It will set you back in the seat. It's not like driving a van. It's no sports car, but it has more than enough power and it's smooth, thanks to a 6 speed transmission. We liked the Honda, but ultimately we chose the Sienna because of it's ride, power and options. Plus, the price my wife negotiated was about $2,000 less than an equivalent Honda."

Hasn't left me stranded yet....2005 Sienna XLE AWD

By on Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Pros: "Roomy, love the AWD feature"

Cons: "Sliding door issues - Big safety concern"

"LOVED (past tense) this van when I initially purchased it. Except now the passenger sliding door has failed. Cable got stuck in the wheel. When you google this issue there are TONS of people with the same problem, but I only found this out when I encountered this issue myself. There is now even a Facebook page dedicated to this defect in the Sienna (cable failure in sliding door). The door will not open or close, not even manually. I had to drive home with my door wide open. My husband eventually cut the cable, per other owners advice, and now I can close the door manually. The cost to repair is around $1,600. I am keeping a wire cutter in my car in case it happens to the other side. Spoke w/ Toyota and the dealership and both deny that this is an issue. Basically neither was able to explain why the door doesn't have an override feature to allow me to manually close the door. Sure paid enough for this vehicle for something so simple to go wrong."

Good, solid vehicle

By on Monday, August 18, 2008

"Great van, very comfortable. I have a 2004 with close to 47,000 miles on it now. The only issues have been a failed window motor and a coolant sensor, both replaced under warranty. Beware the gas mileage though. We have averaged 17.7 MPG since new in mixed highway and suburban driving. It will get 25-26 MPG if you keep it around 60-65 MPH on the highway, but we usually do around 70-75 on the interstates and mileage then drops to 22-23 MPG. The best replacement for the original tires, which wear quickly, are the Yokohama's, a steal at around $100 each installed and rated for 80,000 miles."

Love it

By on Saturday, March 22, 2008

"We needed an 8 passenger vehicle, and were limited to this and the Honda Odyssy. Our local Honda dealership did not have any instock at the time we were looking so we only tried the Sienna. We absolutely love it. The only things I would change is the back up sensors. I hate them. They go off randomly as far as I can tell. They beep frequently when pulling out of the garage as they can sense the door frame on the sides, as if I didn't know. Then I can back almost into the fence behind my house and it doesn't go off, but it will again when the driveway dips a bit, hate it, I override it automatically now. Hit reverse, hit override. The other thing I would change about mine is it only has one power door, I would prefer to have both rear doors powered as well as the rear door. We can fit three carseats in the rear bench seat, which was the selling point for us. Ours has anchors in all but one position in the rear, The seats fold up easily for cleaning, and plenty of drink holders in the back as well as the front. The middle seats don't have access to enough cup holders, but each door has a bottle holder which is fine for the older kids. I've ridden a couple of times in the middle and rear and there is plenty of room for an adult in each case, although it would probably not be good for longer trips, but airport runs are fine. Anyway, love it. We bought new so all repairs have been covered under the warranty. The only overnight stay at the service department was for a broken fuel pump."

Frustrasting poor quality

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Great ride and power, plenty of room, love the folding rear seats, excellent on long drives. No engine probems after 65K miles. After only 40K miles we had to have the driver and passenger front doors re-welded and repaired at a cost of over $1000. The passenger front window has also failed and the repair estimate is $1400. These are *very* basic quality issues. I am expecting more issues in the years ahead and plan to unload this dog and buy a Honda. How can you pay almost $30K for a car that has such basic problems."

Love my Sienna

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"We had to buy a vehicle for me to use for work, and it had to have 2 things... cargo space and good gas mileage. I knew that Toyota was my favorite of all the SUV's and minivans on the market, so we bought the Sienna. I haven't regretted it once! Great seating for our family of four with room for 3 more adults in the 3rd row (and they truly are comfortable back there), the best cargo area we found, very comfortable, quiet ride, much better than an SUV on gas mileage, and pretty darn good looking, if you ask me!"

Very Nice Vehicle - Some Issues

By on Friday, August 21, 2009

"We bought a brand new 2007 LE model (the first brand new car I've ever owned). We really like the car - very comfortable, tons of power, plenty of room and great gas mileage (20-21 around town, 25-27 on trips). Unfortunately we also had a few issues in the 1st 36K miles of ownership. First the power door lock module went out on the passenger door at around 30K miles. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Then at 35K miles, the driver's side power door lock module went out as well as the passenger's visor light (not a big deal for the visor light, but I was getting annoyed at this point). Both items were fixed under warranty again. We decided to purchase the extended warranty in case we had any further issues (the lock modules alone were over $500/each plus installation - glad it wasn't on my dime!) It's good we did since now the driver's seat belt latch mechanism is giving us problems. We really like the van, but I don't think we should have had 3 repairs before the 36K mile warranty expired and another that will be required before 40K miles."

Excellent vehicle

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"Our '06 Sienna xle with 31000 miles has been a great vehicle with no problems. There has been one recall to replace the closing mechanism on the rear automatic opening door. The vehicle is quiet and comfortable and a pleasure to drive. The fuel milage is a little disappointing at about 21 mpg. at about 70 miles per hour. The check tire pressure light comes on occasionally for no reason but is easily reset. The seat belt flashing warning light can't be truned off even if you wish to do so. Over all, a great vehicle."

By on Monday, June 25, 2007

"We leased a 2005 and have really enjoyed it for the 2 years we have had it. Its really comfortable to others we have owned. Just recently was in a crash. I got rear ended by a Briggs Truck. The Sienna held up real good for the size of vehicle that hit me. Im in the process of getting another Sienna as mine was totaled. Love the vehicle."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"We have owned this veh since 2004 and have not had any problems with it. It has over 175000 miles and is still going strong"

Best Minivan Out There!

By on Thursday, September 24, 2009

"My husband & I bought this van new in 06 and have never regretted it! I drive it primarily and plan to keep it until it is no longer drivable...which might be when the kids go off to college! (I've got a first grader & under...) I love everything about it. Haven't had a single problem with it. The kids love the DVD system & my husband's friends are jealous of the sound system! It drives great & above all has maintained its value. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, and then I'll want another one!!"

love toyotas

By on Friday, May 08, 2009

"Very easy to get parents walkers in and out of the back door, enough room for two walkers and a wheelchair in the back well. Easy to get in and out of because there is no lip at the door to have to raise the foot over. The seats are wider than any other van on the market, so comfortable for a larger size person. Great for long distance trips. Lots of room for hauling items. This vehicle is better than a truck because of the versatility."

I never wanted a minivan until...

By on Thursday, June 14, 2007

"I never wanted a minivan until I had four kids that I was trying to load and unload out of a suburban. While my city mpg is only around 16-17mpg, that is much better than the 11mpg my suburban gets and I have gotten as much as 30 mpg on the hwy. Even at top speeds on the highway, you have great instant performance to pass anything in your way. Acceleration is ample and steering is responsive. Braking is excellent. All the controls are where you would expect them to be. We bought our 06 Sienna at a year old off lease and couldn't be happier with the options and ammenities we got for $20k compared to the other competitors. It has the options I needed without the sticker price of the odyssey, and I know it will last forever without mechanical problems unlike caravans and lower end vans. I think it is the best looking minivan on the road, and the kids love how much room they have. We also like the versatility of the 8 seats, the available up front position of the middle seat the slides right up to the front seats for easy reach of a toddler or infant, and the stow in the floor rear seating/size of cargo area...even with 4 kids, our seating arrangements are not limited and the seating itself is very comfortable, roomy, and did I mention head room? The instrumentation panel is bright and the interior has a nice finish, not cheap. I can't say enough things about this minivan, I really love it!"

Low Quality

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"I have a 2005 sienna limited. Both side doors do not work and we have had to shut off the automation as it closed on my daughter and wouldn't release. The rear hatch had to have the hydraulics replace and we have had to take it to the shop for 3 other recalls. Very expensive vehicle for the defects that continue to reveal themselves."

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Being value conscience my entire life & having the privilege of owning a wide range of automakers vehicles, my choice is Toyota. They have been hands down most reliable, trouble free, and dependable -not to mention holding their value in comparison to the other choices out there. I will own this one until I no longer am able to drive. No worries if the Sienna is your choice of mini van."

Worst verhicle ever

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"04 Sienna XLE AWD has been awful. We have had numerous mechanical and tire issues. The check engine light came on 3 different times in the first 2 weeks of owning it...all resulted in various issues. The DVD system caused a continous draw on the battery which resulted in having the system disconnected permanently. Battery constantly goes dead which has left us stranded on numerous occasions. THe electronic doors don't work all the time. Run flat tires only have a life of 2 years at best. WE definitely got a lemon and will never own another Toyota."

If not for the gas mileage...

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"...this would be the greatest van ever built! It's roomy, comfy and versatile. We drove from Tacoma, WA to SoCal a couple years ago. We had plenty of room for all of us (2 adults, 3 kids - one still in diapers at the time) and all our stuff. The fact that we can plug the game system into the DVD system is awesome! Very little "are we there yet" from the back of the van. But the gas mileage is horrendus! I'm averaging 17.3 overall, right around 14 (usually less) in town, and most of my driving is in town. There is a problem with the transmission, which I'm sure is the reason for the poor gas mileage. I've had it into two dealerships a total of at least a half a dozen times to fix the issue, but they can't find anything wrong with it. They claimed to have fixed it last year, but after two weeks was back to its old self. The problem is well documented among Camry owners (the Sienna has a Camry engine), yet they still can't seem to get it fixed. I'm getting ready to trade it in for a Highlander (the only SUV with comparable space that gets better gas mileage). I can't afford to spend $80/week (sometimes more) in gas. If not for that issue, I'd drive it till it died."

Run Flat Tire Frustration

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"We have 41K miles on a 2005 all wheel drive Sienna that we purchased new. We have replaced the very expensive run flat tires 4x!! That is 4 SETS of tires in 41K miles. We were told that the vehicle does not track properly due to the manufacturer. Toyota, however, did not take responsibility and through the local dealer blamed the tire manufacturer. Toyota did, however, 1x replace all 4 run flat tires for free -- this set also lasted about 10K miles. Now we again have to buy a new set of 4 tires. If you go to standard tires you save money but the vehicle has no spare and the tires don't last any longer than the run flat tires. (We were also told that we had to replace all four rims to use non-run flat tires. This does not seem to be the case.) Calling our local Toyota dealer, we were offered an expensive "deal" including a spare wheel, spare cover and jack (it has no jack either). This option takes up storage space in the back. Storage space is a big reason we wanted a minivan. There are few good options here. VERY expensive vehicle to operate if you factor in replacing all four ties every 10K - 13K miles and 16 combined MPG."

Reliability, Comfort and Styling

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"Extremely happy with our 2004 Sienna XLE with 103,000 mi after 4 yrs. In four years we have only done routine maintenance, no other repairs. No prob in cold with sliding doors as some report. Looks stylish, less like a mini-van. Previous two mini-vans were Grand Voyagers--this is just as comfortable now that "full" size in 2004 model, yet with Toyota reliability. In 2 Chryslers we had 5 transmissions. My wife drives it daily and the navigation is truly a great time saver and safety, especially at night when street signs are hard to read. I drive 1994 Camry with 285k mi and big surprise in Sienna is its turning radius seems better than my Camry! Wow. Great for family vacations with bikes on roof--3 kids and wife watch movies in back while I drive and listen to my iPod. My only complaint, i would prefer clear rather than tinted windows for visibility, especially when backing up at nite. Rear camera helps when backing up. 3-zone heating/A/C system is great, though the controls could be simplified. Nice ride on long trips to Cleveland (17 hrs) where our daughter is attending college."

Love My Sienna

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "Nice, comfortable, reliable. Lots of extras"

Cons: "You get what you pay for, so it aint cheap"

"We have taken a trip to florida as soon as we bought this vehical it was awsome! It flies down the highway but feels like youre not going fast, watch youre speed. Very comfortable for the whole family. We also took it too colorado. Looking at selling and buying a newer sienna. LOVE IT"

my second great Sienna

By on Friday, October 16, 2009

"This 2004 is my second Sienna, and I plan on a third this next momth. 85,000 miles, never been in the shop, nor was the first one. Mileage averages 23 city/highway. and we love the room for travel luggage. It is easier to get in/out of than any vehicle in my 60 years of driving. This is my 7th Toyota, and all have been 100% dependable. Love this car!!!!"