2003 Toyota Sienna

Based on 391 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Durable car - some minor design flaws

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Durable, reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "Not flashy, 3rd row does not fold flat"

"I have had this car for over 7 years and it still is my daily driver. Biggest problem was transmission and AC compressor failing. This was after reaching the 250,000 miles so I don't fault it too much. On the other hand, whoever decided that the door handles should be made out of plastic should be fired. I had to replace both drive and passenger side."

If the power doors fail, they can easily be fixed

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Roomy comfortable drives OK & inexpensive operate"

Cons: "a little body roll & mushy steering"

"I have the 2001 XLE version and love it. Bought used with 30K miles and have over 190K now. Recently the ABS failed, but that just makes it regular brakes that I pump myself. Them A/C quit a few years ago, but I don't miss it. The check engine light came on about 2 years ago also. It relates to an anti-polution part (plastic tubes that regulate air/fuel mixture) that will cost $800 to fix. Other than that, it has just been tires, oil changes and brakes when needed. I've driven this car city and highway, mountains and desert, short hauls and long hauls, loaded to the quills and empty and not had problems. The power doors failed for me when I ran the battery down accidentially. They are really easy to fix - just google "fix (year) toyota sienna power doors". It amounts to turning the ignition on and off, manually operating the doors and then pushing the power button in a certain sequence. Really, it is easy and you do not have to pay anyone to do the fix. Keep the car. Fix the doors. Hope this helps whoever reads it."

Nice car, BUT..............

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pros: "Drives/handles great. Lot of room and versatility."

Cons: "Pwr doors defective, 3rd row seats rattle."

"I have a "love/hate" relationship. Love the way it drives, handles, and its roominess. The power doors decided to stopped working when the factory warranty ran out. Toyota Service Dept says "$3,000 MIGHT fix them". 3rd row seats have rattled since new and only stop when they are "tumbled" forward. Both "woofer" speakers on upgraded JBL sound system went out after 5 years. Cost $350 each to replace. All-in-all, at 112,000 miles, its been relatively trouble-free, except for the above-noted issues. Might be checking out other mini-van manufacturers in near future."

Very useful van

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Utility"

Cons: "Not a smooth ride."

"This car has never had any accident except for extremely small things. Had the back seats out for transporting a bicycle"

Great Van!!!!!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, safe, comfortable, and powerful."

Cons: "ugly exterior"

"I've had this van for 9 years and it has 210,000 miles on it and still going strong! The only problems we've had on it were recent and they were a/c belt, alternator, power sliding door motor(we just removed it), and valve cover gaskets. I got it with 50,000 miles on it 9 years ago and for the first 6 or 7 years of owning it we took it from Cincinnati, Ohio to florida and back every summer without a problem. the only reason i dont go on vacation with it anymore is because i got a boat and truck. I highly recommend this to every family who takes long trips as it is a 5 star rated van and is rated THE SAFEST MINIVAN ever made. Just remember to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, replace tires every 5 years, and do brakes when necessary. It is also a very comfortable van as it has The 7 seating option with 4 Captains chairs and a rear bench seat or, The 8 seating, 2 captains chairs and 2 bench seats option. This van also has the 3.0 L V6 with 200hp that gets 23 mpg on the highway and 18mpg in the city. So this van has enough power to easily pass anyone on the highway and tow up to 3500 lbs."

Cons: "Too many problems to count..."

"We bought our 2002 Sienna 5 years ago with approx 60,000 miles on it--expecting it to get up to 200,000+ without much hassle, not the major problems we got starting at just over 100,000. For the first 3 years we didn't have any problems, but for the last 2 it has been one thing after another. A year ago we had to replace the whole computer. Put another $2000 into it two months ago only to have the check engine light come on AGAIN just recently. Which just happened to coincide with the automatic sliding door breaking and the need for our annual safety inspection. Took it in and the catalytic converter and O2 sensors are shot, it failed safety for several reasons, and the motor is shot in the automatic door. Altogether, repair costs are more than the value of the vehicle! Besides these major problems, there are all sorts of small parts breaking throughout and several repeat issues that keep resurfacing even after they were "fixed." Sick and tired of feeling like I got a lemon. Figuring we just happened to get a lemon we went ahead and bought a 2006 Camry with just over 100,000 miles and again, issue after issue draining our bank account and more simple things that show the quality is just not there. Don't think I'll buy Toyota again any time soon!"

would buy it again

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cons: "wish back side windows opened"

"comfortable, reliable. Everything within reach. This is my third Toyota off the showroom floor...highly recommend."

WONDERFUL CAR .

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "GOT MY MONEY WORTH"

"WONDERFUL CAR, OVER 400000 MILES, STILL HAVE SOME OF THE ORGINAL PARTS."

A real workhorse!

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Strength, room, simplicity"

Cons: "As mine was a CE, not much for accessories"

"Being a single, older, woman, I am often asked why I need a van. My 2000 Sienna CE allow me to take my mother on the last road trip of her life - comfortably. Later, it became the easiest vehicle in the family to get her into and out of when she was wheelchair bound. It has hauled gardening rock for a three tier garden, gotten a groom and his groomsmen to the church on time, etc. I will miss her, but with my limited knowledge of car care I hope to find someone to take better care of her for her next 100K miles! And I'd buy another 2000 Sienna with fewer miles in a minute!"

Excellant Van

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: New Toyota

Pros: "Durable, good room."

Cons: "Door handles."

"I purchased this van new and owned it for 15 years and 202000 miles. I did most maintenance myself. I ran synthetic oil - no sludge. Removing the oil filter is messy. I changed the transmission oil every year. No transmission problems even while pulling U-Hauls to college.I had one power window stop working which I changed. I have changed 4 of 5 door handles over the years. Easy to do except the drivers door. I have replaced the radiator last year. Cracked on the top at the hose where most do. Great van on long trips. We traded it in for a Venza - downsizing."

Reliable, incredible value and the best I've owned

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, excellent production, value"

Cons: "Removal of back seats is difficult"

"I bought this Toyota Sienna van because I wanted a vehicle that would last beyond 3 years. I've had others that would start to breakdown after a three year period in small and some in big ways. Relying on friends who raved about their Toyotas, I made the switch and bought one. My plan was to see if it would last at least 8 years. Well, I have to remind myself that it is now 11 years old. I'm certain that I could get several more years out of it. Except for minor problems due to age, it is very sound. I will definitely buy another Toyota."

Great dependable van.. Perfect for kids &families

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, great features for kids and families"

Cons: "Turn radius"

"Great van. Dependable. Perfect for kids and families with features such a leather interior , power windows, reclining seats, flip down video screen/ system, sunroof, and remote power doors."

This is a GREAT vehicle

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, drives great, low maintenance"

"We have been very fortunate to have picked this van over 12 years ago. It has over 171,000 miles and it has been a true gem. Besides the normal maintenance on this van, we really haven't had any problems or major repairs. This includes the body and the paint still looks great! This vehicle has not been garaged for most of its life, so for it to look so great after all these years in the weather is amazing. It has been nothing but reliable over the years and when we buy a new van someday, we will definitely choose another Sienna."

Best, most reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "small cargo space"

"I love Toyota and love the Sienna - it's consistenly consistent. I'm currently at 260,000 miles and my mechanic tells me I can get 400,000 minimum - I'm taking the challenge. The only maintenance has been routine. I am diligent to change the oil, full tune ups about every other year, and good tires. It drives well in the snow, adequately tows small loads, handles beautifully and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I will endure minivan mocking for reliability and excellence."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, June 06, 2013

Pros: "Excellent for family"

Cons: "Alternator replacement every 3 years"

"Excellent car for family, hauling, long trips, soccer team. Good gas mileage. Comfortable to drive. Like the styling better that later models. Fantastic in snow country (where we drove it for most of it's life) with only all weather tire. Occasional chains in heavy snow(use Spike spiders!) Only downside was a new alternator every 3 years..no matter what brand, new or refurb. But this was a minor inconvenience given our overall satisfaction."

really nice

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"i am the second owner of this van. very impressed with the way it handles and it rides like a car. currently have the seats down so it's like having a covered truck bed. have had a little issue with the battery, but believe that is all taken care of. i know everything that has ever been done to it, so i know it is a good vehicle."

Great mini van

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "You ride up high, you see more than a sedan"

Cons: "The rear vision is not the best"

"This was a little disappointing from the Previa. I thought of the Previa as my rubber car. The Sienna was smaller. I had hoped that I would enjoy it as much. I do love sitting up high and I love the leather. I installed Satellite Radio and upgraded the speakers. The sliding doors do not work. You have to manually open them. But it is a great car with 165,000 miles on it."

reliable and comfortable

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "easy drive, easy ride"

Cons: "road noise is a bit loud"

"I pulled a pop-up camper 10,000 miles and averages 20 mpg. On long trips in cruise control I have gotten as high as 27+. The advantage of this one over new ones is that the seats not used can be taken out and reduce the weight in the car. It is a great riding vehicle not bouncy like smaller cars. And you are high enough to see what is ahead of you. It has done everything I have needed to have done. I have done regular mainainance, oil change at 5000 and tire rotations."

I love my car.

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Sit up high, so easy to see out of, fun to drive."

Cons: "no cons"

"My mini-van is so easy to drive and comfortable to sit in. It seats 7, so I can fit most of my grandchildren in it. I taught 2 grandchildren to drive in it and they loved how well you could see out of it. It's easy to get in and out of because of the height. I love the running boards, also."

Work every penny!

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "strong and solid engine"

Cons: "door handles if I have to list something. lol"

"Personally after reading all the review. I must say, if you have 300,000 miles on the car, you should be looking for the above and beyond the scale can provide. And if you are killing the rating over the CD player not in the vehicle, just keep in mind the vehicle is about 14 years old. CD was an option at the time and obviously someone did not pay for the option. With the money you save, you could of have an after market one install as well. Now that's out of the way,I would like to say the engine of the vehicle is still going strong, just simple maintenance will keep the car going for a very long time. The most issue that I have really is the door handles for interiors and exteriors. I know quite few people had the same issue. I even saw a lady driving the same car on the street with all handles dangling. It cracks me up to see the same car and color withe the same issues that I have and I just got mine fixed. Good luck is you are considering the same car or newer!"

Great car - Excellant value

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

"Bought this car with about 70,000 miles. Now has over 292,000! Still has lots of power. One major complaint was door handle breakage. All door handles operate a cable to open the doors. All 5 have broken at least once - 2 of them twice. Age, New York winters and salt will soon force the retirement of our best car to date."

fabulous family vehicle. comfortable and spacious

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "comfortable driving. spacious. extremely reliabl"

Cons: "a couple of blind spots."

"Love our minivan. Can adjust which seats to remove or just drop down. Plenty of drink holders. Very comfortable seats. Has never ever broken down on us. Regular maintainance only needed. Amazing comfort for such an old car. Easily fits 7 people with space inside and on the rooftop carrier."