2002 Toyota Sienna

Based on 400 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Comfortable but average

By on Saturday, May 03, 2008

"Bought new in '98 and have taken van all over Europe. One of the sliding side doors have never locked properly in open condition til this day. Took it to dealer 3 times during warranty period but could never be fixed. Glass on left rear back side window fell out of metal channel and I had to replace the entire real window assembly. The check engine lite went off recently and oxygen sensor had to be replaced. Got over 110,000 miles now but leery that more troubles will be forthcoming."

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"The wife and I bought this van new in 1999. The only problem we have encountered was a faulty window motor. We have 190.000 miles of hard driving sometimes towing a boat to the local lake on this vehicle and it runs like new. My goal was to get 200.000 miles on the van but with that approaching I think 250.000 might not be out of the question."

Best vehicle we ever owned

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Bought the Sienna in 1999 when we had our 3rd child. It now has 193,000 miles on it and never needed anything major, just regular maintenance. It looks in and out like its a couple of years old and all 5 of us used it daily and on long trips. Never even needed a transmission, i think one major tuneup with spark plugs and still runs great. We did just get a new SUV and the kids, who really grew up with the Sienna, cried for us not to sell her. Even if you are considering buying an older Sienna with some milage on it - you should strongly consider it, I dont think these vans ever die. The kelly blue book value for Siennas even with high mileage is unbelievable high for a reason. Thanks Toyota for the best vehicle ever, when my kids cried over the prospect of selling her it made me realise just how great it has been mechanicaly as well as the body and the interior (3 kids and occational big boxes, furniture, etc) - and we were not really Toyota fans!"

Best Vehicle ever driven

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"I have driven this car for 183000 miles and have had no major problems just regular maintenance. It has been a great car!!!"

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"I've owned this van since it was new. It now has over 166k. Other than routine maintenance, we have had no trouble with it. It is the most comfortable vehicle we have owned and that includes Mercedes."

First and Last Toyota for the Family

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"i bought this car in november of 2001 as a 2002 model... my family needed a mini-van... we wanted the Honda mini-van but the waiting list at the time was 3 months... since the sienna was around the same price 33k... we bought it since our Dodge Carvan broke down... at first this was a GREAT car.. but once it reached 40k miles.... everything seems to go wrong for some reason... i got an oil change every 4k miles and the 15k 30k check up... the brakes were replaced along with the rotor because it made weird noise and shook everytimes i braked... the IDLE switch vavle broke 45k and it cost 300 to fix.... the power sliding doors gave up on both sides.... and now the TRANSMISSION is about to give in... i dont know if its just mine... but my friend that have the same model is having the same problem... i dont recommend this car... maybe the new one is better but who know... this is probably the worst choice i made on buying a car... i wish i could have waited for the Honda because at church, many people have it and theres no problem with those things.... o well... i went on kelly blue book to see how much i can sell it for.... at least the resale price is high.. but who knows,, the transmission is about to break... i hope this review helped you"

Dependable But Not Equal

By on Saturday, September 29, 2007

"I have driven Toyotas for 26 years. I still think they make a depandable vehicle but little repairs and replacements were a pain. (rear door latch, cigarette lighter cover, radio knobs) Major repairs were few but expensive! (air conditioning system, engine seal) I would still buy a Toyota. My Previa was sold after 13 years still running well with little rust. My Sienna is still running well after 9 years. It's quiet, and very dependable. I like not seeing a car like mine on every city block, and the style continuing to look good after five years. I have hauled washers, a dryer, book cases, bikes, and all my son's junk to college in my van due to the cargo space without the four back seats. I guess I still love Toyota!"

I love my Sienna

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"This is the best vehicle I have owned. It gets really great gas milage and is very comfortable. I can load up my grandchildren or my 80 + year old aunts and feel completely safe taking them on outings. It is the right size for families. I could say more about my Sienna but it would take too may words...."

Disapointed

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Interior plastic is not holding up. Have had a lot of trouble with the power door. Rear swingout window had to be repaired. Breaks had cracks and had to be replaced at 30000 miles. Handles nicely and has good power."

My thirt Toyota

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"Highly reliable family car"

Very Reliable and Practically Maint. Free Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pros: "Sufficient interior design for model."

Cons: "No interior access, release hatch. Poor paint job"

"I've had my 2002 Toyota Sienna CE since July 2003. Up until 2007, when a squirrel crawled in and chewed some wires, I had no mechanical/maintenance issues. Still pretty good gas mileage on the highway. Rides, drives and feels just like a car, but roomier. Two major issues I do have is the paint job on hood was under par and has gotten worse over the years and No interior access to release the hatch, very inconvenient when the exterior handle broke (2008-2014) during a very cold winter."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"Bought it used 6 years ago, cheap because it had a scratch and stained carpeting. I commute about 60 miles a day, it's held up beautifully, have driven it about 90,000. miles with just routine maintenance: brakes/tires/timing chain/battery."

Highly reliable van if maintained

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Smooth quiet ride, good space, ok gas mileage"

Cons: "sliding door sometimes needs to be reset"

"I bought my 2001 Sienna new. Overall the Van has provided great service. I have maintained the van with 100% synthetic oil changing it every 3500-5000 miles. Trans oil changes every 50k. No oil gelling issues. Van has just started to use some oil between changes in the last 30k miles or so. Only non standard maintenace items needing to be replaced were a cat convetors (most expensive),air/fuel sensors, oil control valve, vacuum switching valve on charcoal canister , rear hatch door handle, and drivers sun visor. Couldn't be happier.. engine and trans still running great. Front end is a little loose but still ok. This van has made many long vacation trips filled to capacity without any issue. I am not sure if today's Sienna has the same quality level but knock wood this one has been highly reliable."

Excellant Van

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: New Toyota

Pros: "Durable, good room."

Cons: "Door handles."

"I purchased this van new and owned it for 15 years and 202000 miles. I did most maintenance myself. I ran synthetic oil - no sludge. Removing the oil filter is messy. I changed the transmission oil every year. No transmission problems even while pulling U-Hauls to college.I had one power window stop working which I changed. I have changed 4 of 5 door handles over the years. Easy to do except the drivers door. I have replaced the radiator last year. Cracked on the top at the hose where most do. Great van on long trips. We traded it in for a Venza - downsizing."

Great mini van

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "You ride up high, you see more than a sedan"

Cons: "The rear vision is not the best"

"This was a little disappointing from the Previa. I thought of the Previa as my rubber car. The Sienna was smaller. I had hoped that I would enjoy it as much. I do love sitting up high and I love the leather. I installed Satellite Radio and upgraded the speakers. The sliding doors do not work. You have to manually open them. But it is a great car with 165,000 miles on it."

fabulous family vehicle. comfortable and spacious

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "comfortable driving. spacious. extremely reliabl"

Cons: "a couple of blind spots."

"Love our minivan. Can adjust which seats to remove or just drop down. Plenty of drink holders. Very comfortable seats. Has never ever broken down on us. Regular maintainance only needed. Amazing comfort for such an old car. Easily fits 7 people with space inside and on the rooftop carrier."

No problems, very low maintance, easy to drive,

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "I can trust it ,"

Cons: "front tires, 02 sensors, nothing really"

"I have installed 4 sets of tires"

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I have owned this car for the past 6 years and I’m considering trading because I have a 15 year old who isn’t too excited about driving the family mini-van. But this van has been great and I hate to let it go. I purchased the van at 70K and have put approximately an additional 150K on the van. I have had very minimal repairs. Recently, a sensor has gone bad which leaves my check engine light on all the time, but I haven’t bothered to get it fixed and the van runs just fine. The van is also beginning to burn a little oil, but not very excessive. If you are looking for a low cost used vehicle, I would recommend this van. It has been great."

incredibly dependable

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, and decent mileage for van"

Cons: "squeaky brakes"

"I bought this van new and have now had for 12 years....it has been to the four corners...Miamito LA to Seattle to Nova Scotia. Has over 200k miles but by far best vehicle I have ever owned....and I've owned several"

I cant believe i love a mini-Van

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Ok so i purchased this van as a winter driver, when i bought it there was an issue that i had to fight with the dealer on having fixed. The van had 76K miles. It was in OK physical condition. The Van has been a beast, i use it to cart friends to bars around NY, i use it to transport hardware, i use it to take road trips. The van has been to florida twice. My other toyota has 279K miles and runs new... I would not recommend any new toyota to anyone, but used ones are great. The new ones do not have attached steering, gas, or breaks, they are all electronic and the added "safety" features are annoying. I love this van, and if it dies, i will replace the motor before i bought a new one.. The check engine light came on twice, i fixed this with having the ECU reflashed with the updated code. this fixes the Pinging on 87 octane, and fixes the issues with the check engine light, DO NOT BUY ONE WITHOUT HAVING THIS ECU UPGRADE FIXED. Also you should keep in mind that the 1mzfe motor in these had sludging issues, Running a full synthetic oil and replacing at 3k miles will clean this issue out, as well as stop it from happening. My Van runs better now then it did when i drove it off the lot."

Most Reliable Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Bought this van new which was 12+ years ago and it has 155,000 miles. The first 100,000 were highway but since has been mostly local but some additional highway mileage. It has been very reliable with no major problems. Had to replace rear door inside latches and front door exterior handles. Brakes squeak some but that has been since it was new. They just can't seem to stay quiet. I would purchase another if I needed it but my family has grown and the size is not needed anymore. Highly recommended."

This Toyota ROCKS!

By on Monday, July 26, 2010

"I bought this van with 82 miles on it and have put over 255,000 more miles on it. It has required the usual things that wear and tear: regular oil & filter changes, spark plugs, one timing belt, lots of tires, a couple sets of brakes, maybe a few other minor things. Nothing major. It has started EVERY TIME I turned the key, gone everywhere I want to go and hauled everything I wanted to haul. It looks a bit worse for wear but if I was guaranteed another that was as good a vehicle as this...I'd take it in a second! I plan to drive this until it dies."

best van on the market

By on Thursday, July 01, 2010

"We bought the van new in 1998. After 12 years and over 280,000 miles we have had no major problems. Comfortable and smooth ride. The only thing we have done is normal maintance items, tires,battery, rear shocks and that is it. With 280,000 miles on the motor it doesn't burn a drop of oil. My wife refuses get a new van, says it will last another 100,000 miles. Best value for the money we ever spent."

Reliable Cruiser

By on Thursday, April 29, 2010

"I bought a used '00 CE in '02 with 15K miles. It has been a reliable, comfortable cruiser and hauler for 8 years and 125K miles. It gets a consistent 25mpg in mostly highway driving. Tires last 60K and are fairly inexpensive (15"). I'm still on the original brakes, and the motor runs like a top (no oil consumption or leaks). The only unscheduled repair was a jammed sliding door at 75K ($200). Performance and handling are adequate, but not outstanding. It has a smooth, quiet ride that eats up the interstate miles. The AC keeps up well with 120-degree AZ summers (privacy glass helps). LIKES: reliability, comfortable ride, utility, ergonomics, plastic lower body cladding eliminates road rash DISLIKES: squeaks & rattles, rear seatbelts that occasionally jam (seem to fix themselves w/ time & jiggling), no fold-into-the-floor rear seats"

One of my best vehicles ever!

By on Friday, June 12, 2009

"I bought my 98 Sienna with 40K miles in 01. I can testify that Toyota quality is such that you can buy a first year vehicle and not worry about reliability. It now has 148K miles and has needed no repairs at all. The original battery lasted 9yrs! Still has original exhaust and is solid still! I've always done regular maintenance myself and use synthetic oil. I've been amazed at the versatility of the minivan. I've added a trailer hitch to pull a utility trailer with heavy loads and no problems. When I bought it I had Toyota dealer investigate a rattle in the drivers side sliding door. Whatever he did helped for a while, but the rattle is still there today - oh well, who the heck cares when you've had a vehicle like this one. Drivers side rear window opening mechanism quit recently - never bothered to check it out yet. I also own an 01 Prius. I guess you can say I'm a big fan of pre-owned Toyotas - sorry UAW."