2002 Toyota Sienna

Based on 395 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Best Minivan Ever!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"I purchased my Sienna used from the guy that owns the parts store that I use. It was his wife's personal car. Undoubtedly, he didn't know the value of this van, because he let me have it for $3900. This is at least a $6000 van, folks. I test drove it several times, mostly because the mileage was quite high at 185,000. It drove and rode like a dream! We have taken several long road trips in this van and it hasn't let me down once. The only thing I've had to do to it (besides normal maintenance) was to put an alternator on it. That was the first replacement alternator the van had ever seen. All the seats are long-haul comfy, even the back seat. Mine has 2 sliding doors and four captain's chairs, with a split bench in the back. The paint is glossy and all the hardware works. The only thing I've found that doesn't work is the cd player. It keep kicking the cd's back out without playing them. Otherwise, I'm one happy camper and would recommend this great minivan to anyone. The Sienna is by far greater than Caravans, Odysseys, Windstars, Sodonas and everything in between. It now has 195,000 miles on it and still going strong."

Great minivan

By on Monday, October 06, 2008

"We've had this van for 8 years and have had not major issues with it. It's been a real kid-hauler and although they've been rough on the interior, it's held up pretty well. I joke that it's just an oversized Camry because it drives pretty much like one with a better view of the road. Which makes sense since it's on a Camry chassis with a 6 cyl Camry engine. I've never felt like it was underpowered, which is impressive when you consider the extra weight. And the gas mileage is livable - better than an SUV but it's not a Honda Fit either. With the low mileage on ours, we'll probably keep it until the wheels fall off (or I just have to have a built-in DVD system for my sanity :-) Only complaint is the door handles are flimsy. We have replaced two and my husband noted they were plastic for the main moving part. Not good on a part that gets as much wear as those do. Bad Design. But otherwise, great, kid hauling vehicle."

Great Vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"I've had this car now for 9 years and it has 225,000 miles. I've only had regular maintenance on it, no problems at all and it still looks great on the outside (more worn on the inside because of kids). In fact I've been thinking about getting another Toyota but it almost seems a waste of money to give it up because it's been so great! My kids have grown up with this van so it's going to be hard to part with!!! I don't plan to ever drive anything but a Toyota."

Great Mini-van!

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Good mpg, Great A/C"

Cons: "Minor electrical problems"

"We purchased this van used with 100k miles on it and have added over 50k in 4 years. It gets 23 mpg on the highway with no a/c and about 20mpg in the city with a/c. The a/c is one of the best features! It has front and rear controls and works great! We have needed it while driving in the south. Our 1991 Privia had more head and leg room for our tall guys and a great fresh air ventilation when not running the a/c, but I enjoy the confidence of the improved safety rating of the Sienna. The only problems we have had are intermittent electrical troubles with the locks and windows. Otherwise, tires, oil changes and routine maintenance have kept it running great."

Incredibly reliable. Going strong at 257,000 miles

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "Super reliable. Comfortable to drive."

Cons: "Body hardware, such as sliding doors."

"This is my second Sienna. I purchased both new, one in 1998 and this one in the fall of 2001. Other than scheduled maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt at 90,000 and 180,000 miles, this minivan has required very little. It's had the brakes serviced a couple times. I replaced the original battery after nine years and I change oil every 5,000 miles. There is no rust and the finish still looks good. The only signs of age are the rear sliding doors, which are getting noisy and the carpet which is quite worn. It has always started in the cold Minnesota winters and runs like a much newer vehicle. When it had 250,000 miles, I purchased new 100,000 mile rated tires. Our goal is 300,000 miles, but this car owes us nothing. When it dies I will give it a dignified burial and go shopping for a new Toyota, probably back to a Camry this time."

Not a Honda

By on Sunday, May 17, 2009

"I own Honda's (for me) and Toyota Minivans (for my wife). We use the later as the family hauler. This is our second Sienna. Our first was a '00 model year and the second (and current) was an '03. I'm writing this after owning the '03 for 6 yrs. Our '03 is an LE model with 83K miles after 6 yrs. We bought it new. Negatives (I want to vent first, positives later): ================================= I'd have to say the overall quality is just OK. Mostly fit and finish stuff but we've also had problems with some major mechanicals. Door knobs, lights, compartment doors, removable seat mechanisms are a joke. Really bad. We've had doors that refuse to open and jam. Mostly the sliding doors. The mechanisms are really flimsy. Once the passsenger slider refused to latch so I had to drive home with the thing not fully latched...with my kids in the car. The seat latches don't hold up either so I just leave the seats in (for fear they'll bust). Right after the warranty expired one of the latches jammed and they wanted 800 bucks to replace the entire seat. I gave the toyota people a piece of mind with that one. I was livid. They had me over a barrel and they knew it. We had those same problems with -both- siennas. That's one of the reasons I traded in the '00 for the '03. I thought maybe I just had a 'friday model'. It's a toyota so it's supposed to be good, right? On the current one (83K miles in 6 yrs), we had the suspension replaced (under warranty but it would have been $1.2K). After another 50K miles it's making the same noises. We just fixed a broken power steering pump (900 bucks). Positives: ======= Engine is basically solid. No reliable problems there. The power is decent. Handles OK for a family minivan. Good space for the kids. Opinion: ====== Honda beats Toyota for reliability. I've had two honda accords and put 150K on the first one and the second is at 100K right now. The fit and finish on the honda is superb. Flawless quality. In 250K miles (both cars) I've put about 400 bucks in unscheduled maintenance. Really. My current Honda Accord ('03 EX Leather) is so satisfying I have no urge to replace it even after 6 hrs and 100K miles. Can't say the same for Toyotas. We've had problems with both mini-vans. Same kind of things. It's better than a GM but its not honda levels of quality. It's basically a good family hauler, OK performance, OK comfort and reliable enough we'll continue to use this one as the family hauler. But the lousy fit and finish and couple of thousand bucks in unscheduled maintenance has turned me off of Toyota. I won't buy another."

Overall pleased but...

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "heavy safe"

Cons: "rear seats a pain to remove"

"Still have under 100k, and warranty for sludge is only 10 years now. so hopefully I will have no sludge. Seems that I am penalized a bit from Toyota since I do not drive it as much. Carr performs great, but there is like 7 emission sensors on van that make check engine come on. Replaced one that was easy labor 250.00, the other was like near gas tank, almost a grand . 95% repairs made at Toyota dealer"

Reliable hauler

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"My wife got this in 02 after my son totaled the 01. It is still going strong with 213k miles. Hauling capacity is great as my wife is an antique dealer and can stuff lots of merchandise in the van for shows when the seats are removed. Decent handling and ride for a van. A bit noisy on the highway, however. No major problems outside what is expected with wear. The door handles do wear out too frequently and the rear a/c has become very noisy and is no longer used. The van must run on premium gas or there will be stalling problems after 100k miles. But other than periodic maintenance that is it. Pollution sensors start to fail around 180k miles, much better than 80K plus on my BMW."

A very reliable van

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Can't think of one."

"I have owned it for 13 years with 275,000 miles. Beside normal maintainance absolutely no major expenses. Still has original suspension"

Overall, it's a good vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "Reliable engine and transmission"

Cons: "Poor interior build quality"

"I've owned a Sienna CE for 13 years. The engine and transmission have been good. The troublesome things are that many of the parts inside the van have broken. These were not all done by our kids (who are now grown). I think there is a certain amount of planned obsolescence in this vehicle. Then again, that may be true of other manufacturers. We have also had a few oddball electrical problems with our Sienna. The driver's seatbelt light comes on, even when the driver is buckled. The parking brake light is on, even when the parking brake is not set."