2001 Toyota Sienna

Based on 403 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Incredible minivan

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"This vehicle has been an incredible asset to out family of 6. Our van has earned 110,000 miles in the 7 years since we bought it and still runs almost like new. We've replaced the tires three times, brake pads, and fluids, and had the 30k, 60k and 90k dealer servives and that's it. I would love to get a new van, but this one just keeps running beautifully, so we hang onto it. I was planning to get a Honda Odyssey for our next minivan, but in the past 2 years, I've become convinced to buy a new Sienna, despite my reservations about the new model's looks, because ours has been such a pleasure to own."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"I bought my car brand new in 2001. I can't say enough about my van. It is reliable, practical with three young children, great on gas, and very comfortable. I have no reservations about it at all and when this one goes I plan to get another one. I have 190,000 miles and have had no major repairs. We have done the usual oil change and it continues to run. Yeah for the Sienna! I love it! I see friends trying to squeeze their young kids into sporty sedans because they aren't ready for a van and I find it very selfish. My kids comfort and safety is number one. I think having a family van shows progress in life. You have achieved being a parent and having a family!!"

Reliable Reliable Reliable

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Multiple cross-country trips, years of city driving, and now at home on gravelly country roads (we are appreciating the nice ground clearance and underside protection), our 1998 Sienna has required little more than standard maintenance. Likes: Never had a break down. Never. ... Fits into parking spaces marked for Compact Cars. ... Peppy -- you might just forget you're driving a minivan -- more get-up-and-go than some sedans I've driven. Room for improvement: Driver's side could use more legroom. Not a big deal for daily driving, but noticable on long trips... Plastic exterior door handles break, even without excessive force in sub-zero temps... Seatbelts don't retract on their own... Armrests on captains chairs could be stronger. It's a great car, but I expect more from Toyota."

SPECTACULAR CAR!

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"Best van in world. It is a reliable, comfortable,safe, and has a very smooth ride. The Toyota Sienna is the top of the line van I've had since my 1990 Dodge caravan, and my 1995 Mazda MPV. My Dodge was a terible car and was a piece of junk since day 1,and my Mazda was a little boring and kind of ugly,but my wife liked it. However once I bought my Toyota Sienna I thought I was dreaming.My kids loved its video entertainment system,and it did well in the car accident on Rout 13. My wife loves it and I pian on buying a knew one in 2008."

best van ever!

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I love my van have owned it since Dec 1999 with no major mechanical problems only regular maintenance, still rides and drives like new and I now have 192000, I owned a Caravan prior to this-there is no comparison well worthe money. It has made it to many soccer and basketball games and hauled many kids to diffent events."

Great Auto !!

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

"Absolutely great vehicle!! Good Mileage, Good Design, Dependable. No oil leaks, no mechanical problems, great ride, especially for 227,000 miles and still going great. Murphy"

This is the best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "great driving in all climates"

Cons: "cup holders were to close to heater"

"This car has been a joy to drive, ride and travel in. It is a one owner van and I have had very little that had to be fixed other then the air conditioning. I took it in for regular maintenance. It still runs like a top and has little to no rust. It is good in all types of weather."

really nice

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"i am the second owner of this van. very impressed with the way it handles and it rides like a car. currently have the seats down so it's like having a covered truck bed. have had a little issue with the battery, but believe that is all taken care of. i know everything that has ever been done to it, so i know it is a good vehicle."

reliable and comfortable

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "easy drive, easy ride"

Cons: "road noise is a bit loud"

"I pulled a pop-up camper 10,000 miles and averages 20 mpg. On long trips in cruise control I have gotten as high as 27+. The advantage of this one over new ones is that the seats not used can be taken out and reduce the weight in the car. It is a great riding vehicle not bouncy like smaller cars. And you are high enough to see what is ahead of you. It has done everything I have needed to have done. I have done regular mainainance, oil change at 5000 and tire rotations."

I love my car.

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Sit up high, so easy to see out of, fun to drive."

Cons: "no cons"

"My mini-van is so easy to drive and comfortable to sit in. It seats 7, so I can fit most of my grandchildren in it. I taught 2 grandchildren to drive in it and they loved how well you could see out of it. It's easy to get in and out of because of the height. I love the running boards, also."

Great car - Excellant value

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

"Bought this car with about 70,000 miles. Now has over 292,000! Still has lots of power. One major complaint was door handle breakage. All door handles operate a cable to open the doors. All 5 have broken at least once - 2 of them twice. Age, New York winters and salt will soon force the retirement of our best car to date."

Franklin has had many a vacation its a great van!!

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Gets 22-24mpg loaded down with 3 kids and gear."

Cons: "Door handles and timing belt replacement cost."

"We just purchased a new Sienna and I still prefer to drive the old one. It has served our family well over the past 215k miles. The only real issue we have had is the door handles I have replaced 3 of the 4 exterior handles the all broke at over 175k miles. I thought it was the kids until the driver one failed in my hand. It has been a great van and treated us very well. I would still get in this van and drive it anywhere in the country."

Total Reliability!

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive (for a minvan), comfortable"

"Bought this van used in 2004 with 88,000 miles. It has been awesome. It is versatile, mechanically reliable, and very comfortable for driver and passengers. If our kids were not on their own now, we would get another one."

I love my Sienna

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

"I am a second owener of my 2002 Sienna. I have over 340,000 miles on it and have had only two major problems that was under $2,000 worth. I love my car. Very reliable."

Extremely reliable

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

"We are the original owners and have done virtually nothing to this vehicle. Just regular maintenance. I wish Toyota would still build cars this good today."

Extremely Reliable

By on Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "The hood on most of these is where they start to rust."

"I am the original owner of this vehicle and it has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I have replaced nothing but the brake pads and tires. It still has the original muffler and exhaust."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, April 23, 2011

"After owning a Ford Windstar and the head gasket blowing at 70k, I vowed never to buy another Ford. My Sienna has been awesome. It's been the best vehicle I've owned. I have 146,000 miles and no real problems with it. It's been super reliable and I will only buy Toyotas in the future. My daughter uses the van now. Can't say enough good things about it. Last year I bought a Camry. Love Toyotas!"

Great Van

By on Saturday, August 07, 2010

"We bought this van used with nearly 100,000 miles on it, and it has served us unbelievably well. Incredibly reliable, solid, and easy to manage. Does well in the snow, even without snow tires or 4WD. It now has nearly 200,000 and still going fine."

I love my van!

By on Monday, December 21, 2009

"Had my sienna for 1.5 years now & it is going great. 59,000 miles I am the 2nd owner. Has lots of pick up when you need it. Had the brakes done when we first bought it, still wearing good. Roomy & I like how the seats in the back can either fold in half & tilt forward for more room in the back, or just fold in half. Since it does not have the store in the floor option on this model year it is nice to not have to take the seats all the way out when I need more storage on the go. If you need to remove the seats they are quite heavy. The rear is 2 seperate seats, but the middle one is a bench seat (seats 2). I need help with this one. At 5'4 & 125lbs it probably weighs almost as much as I do. When we first bought it we had to replace the rear light above the window. After my first wash at the car wash water came in & ran down the back window. Replacing the light fixed it. Cheap & easy to replace. New seal & all. Rainy season came and I started noticing a strange smell. Moldy like. Felt the carpets & couldn't find it. Finally after 3 weeks or so I decided to track it. It was coming from "under" the carpet. It was dry on top, absolutely soaked underneath. Apparently there is a leak in the rear door somewhere. Unable to locate it. My van is now without carpet. To be honest, with 2 young boys, the tan carpeting wasn't staying tan anyway. I cleaned the carpet & dried it, just haven't put it back in yet. The engine has to have a chance to warm up for about 3 min or so before you drive. If you just start it & take off the engine will make a clicking, pinging like noise at the higher RMP right before it shifts. After a little research it seems to be normal for this van. Gas for us averages about 18 - 19 in the city. I don't do much highway driving. I can say it is a bit loud with road noise on the freeway, especially with the carpet removed. The captain chairs would have been nice, but it was a streatch to finance this one. Another positive is it is holding it's value. We financed slightly over private party blue book at the dealership & can sell now if needed to for more than we owe. I think it has only depreciated a couple hundred dollars in the last 1.5 years. Not bad considering my mother in law purchased a 2007 Ford Freestar for $20000 at the end of '08 & now retail on it is only $14000. Very sad! Do your research. We debated between the Odyssey & the Sienna. We didn't want to risk the tranny probs that Honda was having in the year We could afford. Sienna was the one for my family. I'm so glad we bought it!"

Great vehicle except for ONE thing...

By on Sunday, July 05, 2009

"We purchased our Sienna CE used from a dealership in Florida in 2004. It has given us no problems from a mechanical standpoint though the gas mileage never exceeded 20 MPG in the city or 24 MPG highway. The only real complaint is a limited one, though it could pose real problems if one were to take it somewhere very warm...like Florida. The two sliding doors' locks have a tendency to jam when the door is exposed to hot, direct sunlight. The only remedy to solve this problem is to park in the shade and put the AC on high for several minutes until the mechanism "frees" itself and allows it to lock again. During the time it is "jammed" open, you cannot close the affected door. We've tried every thing short of disassembling the door. The most frustrating problem, though, isn't this problem: it's getting Toyota dealerships to admit that a problem actually exists. One dealership suggested that the only way for this to occur was if our children had poured a liquid down into the door. The problem with this theory is that the affected part is actually located above the head of the children. Not a single service manager admitted to a service alert or recall for this particular problem. Overall, the van is an excellent vehicle especially for road trips with kids aboard. It has never not started even when temps reached -10 to -15 degrees F with windchills reaching much lower. The V6 has good power going uphill, fully loaded. The brakes were never a problem and the powertrain and gearing reported 0 problems. Other than the sliding door locks problems described above, there are no problems to report."

10 Years and Counting

By on Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Our family gives almost 5 stars all around! We purchased the XLE Sienna new in 1999. It has a lot of 'bells & whistles' (like the captain's seats and grocery bag net) and could be one of the reasons we like it so much. We also have the optional rear air, cruise control and moon roof. It has been from the Grand Canyon and the harsh desert and now up and down the east coast, with many family trips in between. My husband and children (now) are all over 6' and we have never had space issues - leg or head. We have the removable rear seats and have been able to haul tons of stuff - plus the engine has a lot of power - good for carrying extra cargo weight and esp for passing vehicles on hills/mtns. Long trips are more comfortable with the reclining seats and the connections in the back for hand held games. A few issues we have run across the last few years are a side door button wanting to stick inside the handle and the driver's visor mirror plastic hinge broke. We keep current with the general maintenance and can't expect everything to last forever, so these items are minor. One item not on our model that could really be handy is an automatic door behind the driver and not just the passenger side. We bought at a time when you couldn't even test drive a Honda Odyssey. We thought maybe we'd like that one, yet not wanting to buy 'sight unseen', we test drove every van model out there at the time and even tho it was more expensive, we decided on the Toyota Sienna - and have been VERY pleased. I'd have to say this is the BEST vehicle we have ever owned! We've had some pretty unreliable cars in the past, but have liked Toyota so much that when we needed an additional car for the 'teen years' we also bought a used Toyota Corolla (and it has been just as good). Even tho we aren't hauling around young children any more we'll probably keep this vehicle till it dies...maybe our 'future' grandchildren will get to ride in it!"

Very Satisfied

By on Saturday, December 20, 2008

"We never had any major problems with this Van (CE). We love its handling, durability, and reliability. Would get another one but Kids are now Teens and insist on a SUV."

Comfort & reliability

By on Friday, September 12, 2008

"I have a 1999 Sienna. Bought it new. It's really time to downsize but I love the comfort of the Sienna. I've skimmed through the reviews and learned others had passenger side window motors replaced, like mine. I put off having it fixed for a long time, but finally did for $650. Also had the trunk door lift mechanism replaced for another $250. Currently, my steering wheel quivers while driving. Originally, we thought the wheel alignment might be misaligned. However, I was told the rack and pinion needs to be replaced (cost: $1,000). So I'm at a cross roads to get another Toyota, or replace the rack and pinion very, very soon. In any event, I am a true Toyota consumer. I bought a used Volvo once and faced problem after problem. I returned to Toyota's and will never stray again!"

Buy a Honda instead!

By on Friday, August 08, 2008

"I should have bought a Honda but I got a better deal on the Sienna. I bought my '01 in 2004. I replaced the water and fuel pumps fairly soon after purchase. In the last 2 years I have drived 20,000 miles and have worn out 8 tires and needed 2 alignments. THe tire pressure gauge is on all the time and I've been told it is an electrical problem. Have had other sensors replaced too. The rear seats are very difficult to remove. The sliding doors freeze in New England winters and then open on their own. I would buy a Toyota again but never the Sienna."

Disapointment

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"We bought a 2002 Sienna new with great expectations for our first Toyota. While still under warranty, a power window broke. After warranty, another window had to be fixed. The trim ring around the ignition key fell off. The latching mechanism on the sliding door often malfunctions. The check tire pressure light often goes off and on for no reason. It cost several hundred dollars to replace the spark plugs. The anti-freeze is not long-life like most cars now. Two engine sensors had to be replaced around 70,000 miles at over $400 each. We would probably not buy a Toyota again."