1999 Toyota Sienna

Based on 396 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Best Minivan Ever!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"I purchased my Sienna used from the guy that owns the parts store that I use. It was his wife's personal car. Undoubtedly, he didn't know the value of this van, because he let me have it for $3900. This is at least a $6000 van, folks. I test drove it several times, mostly because the mileage was quite high at 185,000. It drove and rode like a dream! We have taken several long road trips in this van and it hasn't let me down once. The only thing I've had to do to it (besides normal maintenance) was to put an alternator on it. That was the first replacement alternator the van had ever seen. All the seats are long-haul comfy, even the back seat. Mine has 2 sliding doors and four captain's chairs, with a split bench in the back. The paint is glossy and all the hardware works. The only thing I've found that doesn't work is the cd player. It keep kicking the cd's back out without playing them. Otherwise, I'm one happy camper and would recommend this great minivan to anyone. The Sienna is by far greater than Caravans, Odysseys, Windstars, Sodonas and everything in between. It now has 195,000 miles on it and still going strong."

Great minivan

By on Monday, October 06, 2008

"We've had this van for 8 years and have had not major issues with it. It's been a real kid-hauler and although they've been rough on the interior, it's held up pretty well. I joke that it's just an oversized Camry because it drives pretty much like one with a better view of the road. Which makes sense since it's on a Camry chassis with a 6 cyl Camry engine. I've never felt like it was underpowered, which is impressive when you consider the extra weight. And the gas mileage is livable - better than an SUV but it's not a Honda Fit either. With the low mileage on ours, we'll probably keep it until the wheels fall off (or I just have to have a built-in DVD system for my sanity :-) Only complaint is the door handles are flimsy. We have replaced two and my husband noted they were plastic for the main moving part. Not good on a part that gets as much wear as those do. Bad Design. But otherwise, great, kid hauling vehicle."

Great Vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"I've had this car now for 9 years and it has 225,000 miles. I've only had regular maintenance on it, no problems at all and it still looks great on the outside (more worn on the inside because of kids). In fact I've been thinking about getting another Toyota but it almost seems a waste of money to give it up because it's been so great! My kids have grown up with this van so it's going to be hard to part with!!! I don't plan to ever drive anything but a Toyota."

Great Mini-van!

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Good mpg, Great A/C"

Cons: "Minor electrical problems"

"We purchased this van used with 100k miles on it and have added over 50k in 4 years. It gets 23 mpg on the highway with no a/c and about 20mpg in the city with a/c. The a/c is one of the best features! It has front and rear controls and works great! We have needed it while driving in the south. Our 1991 Privia had more head and leg room for our tall guys and a great fresh air ventilation when not running the a/c, but I enjoy the confidence of the improved safety rating of the Sienna. The only problems we have had are intermittent electrical troubles with the locks and windows. Otherwise, tires, oil changes and routine maintenance have kept it running great."

Incredibly reliable. Going strong at 257,000 miles

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "Super reliable. Comfortable to drive."

Cons: "Body hardware, such as sliding doors."

"This is my second Sienna. I purchased both new, one in 1998 and this one in the fall of 2001. Other than scheduled maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt at 90,000 and 180,000 miles, this minivan has required very little. It's had the brakes serviced a couple times. I replaced the original battery after nine years and I change oil every 5,000 miles. There is no rust and the finish still looks good. The only signs of age are the rear sliding doors, which are getting noisy and the carpet which is quite worn. It has always started in the cold Minnesota winters and runs like a much newer vehicle. When it had 250,000 miles, I purchased new 100,000 mile rated tires. Our goal is 300,000 miles, but this car owes us nothing. When it dies I will give it a dignified burial and go shopping for a new Toyota, probably back to a Camry this time."