1999 Toyota Sienna

Based on 375 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Best family vehicle you could ask for

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "pleasure to drive and very dependable"

"Bought this car Aug 2000. We (wife and two children) have driven this car just about everywhere. It has been virtually problem free and a pleasure to drive. I highly recomend this as a family car."

Very reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Quality, endurance, price"

Cons: "Fuel mileage, sticky door buttons, lean"

"My Mother bought this in '98 and just purchased a new 2014. Her van has 375k miles as of today. She had the engine replaced at 120k per factory recall. After 255k on the rebuilt motor is is still strong as ever. She loves this van and has had only a few minor issues with it, one being the inside 3rd/4th doors door opening buttons stick at times. She just replaced the radiator at 360k miles. It will now be handed ownership to someone in the Family. The van, as with most mini-vans it has a weird feel in the corners, it has a unstable feeling which i thinks comes form being higher, not as wide of a wheel base, but it is not dangerous. It is still getting 24 MPG with full power in the engine as well."

Great Family Car!

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

"I drove it 220,000 miles over 16 years. Really like the bucket seats in the back and also like the fact that you could remove the seats. Lots of capacity. In fact, more than my husband's truck. Also really like the rear climate control. No major mechanical problems ever. The only issues I had with the car were that we yanked off nearly ever door handle inside and out. It also had a poor turn radius. Highly recommend this car. Just be gentle with the door handles!"

GREAT RELIABLE LUXURY VAN

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Drives smoothly"

"Have owned for 13 years and have loved every minute of it. Still looks like a modern vehicle, and has never given me one miunte of problems. I intend to drive it until it dies, which I feel will be at least another 13 years! Best deal in town!!!"

Best car I've owned

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "reliable. small and easy to park for a minivan"

Cons: "cup holders are very shallow."

"I bought my 2003 XLE brand new and have loved it! I was anxious to buy a Sienna in the older, small rounded body style and managed to buy one of the last ones available. It went from toting two kids, their cars seats and strollers, to their BMX bikes, then I added a bike rack for carrying our big mountain bikes. Now it hauls a cello to lessons and anything else I need to carry. I have had to replace one of the stereo speakers, but that's about it. Every other non wear and tear part of the car is still groovin' right along at 160K miles. I do have one irritation with it though: a few years ago it started dying occasionally when I would first start the engine. It's very odd, it just refuses to idle. I have to keep my foot lightly on the the gas and break at the same time until I'm past the first few stops on the road, then it's fine. Numerous repair shops have been unable to figure it out, although I haven't taken it to a Toyota dealer. It's really just an annoyance, and anyway, it wouldn't do it if it was at the dealer. Cars are sneaky that way."

The best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Powerful engine, well built body, dependable"

Cons: "I've tried, really, but I can't think of any."

Jan. 2014 taken in Kentucky after driving through the second blizzard that month.

"I bought my 2000 Toyota Sienna in Nov. 1999 with 103 miles on it. We bought an XLE, with the towing package and with the plan to put 300,000 miles on it. 15 yrs out now, my van has 180,000 miles on it and it's been all over the country, driven through several blizzards, through mountain passes, and on city streets in 103 degree weather. We perform the recommended maintenance on time, every time. I steam clean the carpets once a year, even the interior looks like a newer vehicle. The engine runs like it is brand new. I love the power available in the engine, such as when I've made an error on an entrance ramp and need to gun it to make sure I'm not forcing someone to slam on their brakes. The engine has never needed anything but normal maintenance. I have flushed every fluid for the second time now and fully expect I'll put another 100,000 miles on it. The rear hatch handle is made of hard plastic, it had to be replaced recently and I replaced to with a metal one myself. Nothing else has given us a problem. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm thrilled to be driving an engine with 180,000 miles with no foreseen need to rebuild the engine. I drove it halfway across the country in January, through 2 blizzards and the TN mountains twice without a doubt of its ability. I'm very glad to own this vehicle. The photo was taken in Kentucky at the end of the second blizzard."

Great motor/power, new tires, needs emissions work

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Lots of power, people/cargo space; removable seats"

Cons: "Emissions systems needs work; body scrapes, dents"

Toyota Sienna 2001

"Got van in 2001. Has had a pretty sheltered life in garages. Reliable. Left thumb-controlled CD and radio player. Electric windows. Four new General Altimax RT 205/70 R15 all-season radials.Trailer hitch. Check engine light on because OBD computer senses emissions system problems in fuel vapor (carbon canister) and catalytic converter system. Replaced one oxygen sensor this year. Timing belt fine but due to be changed; at least one strut and two wheel covers need to be replaced. Dents shown in photos."

Toyota Sienna 2001

Extremely reliable minivan

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Reliable"

"My Toyota Sienna minivan has 230,000 miles (and counting) and other than routine maintenance has given me very little problems. This car has been an excellent value and transported our family and a lot of stuff all over the country. I love my little green van!"

This Car has been such a faithful, reliable Slave.

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable, and still does 25 miles/Gal"

"We bought used in New Mexico. It had 100,000 miles. We have done the usual recommended maintenance on it. Of course after 200,000 miles you should expect that regular maintenance on a car will cost you around $500 a year. Now it has 280,000 miles."

needs new exhaust system

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

"needs lots of repair"

This car has been the best overall car I have had

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Everythimg"

Cons: "Nothing so far."

"I love this vehicle. It is comfortable, easy to maneuver, sturdy, has held up without needing a costly repair since I purchased it used in 2011 with 139,000 miles. It is very roomy. The seats are easy to remove . The sliding doors for the back seat work in a convenient way for back seat access. There are a number of little extras that give it a touch of luxury.Both he air conditioning and heating systems provide immediate cold and warmth.The way the seats recline to almost a bed make it easy to take a quick nap when needed.The emissions system is finely calibrated , an example of the quality Toyota puts into its design. For the size of the vehicle I am satisfied with the gas per mile."

Very reliable and dependable car.

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Most reliable and dependable car I have ever owned. 200,K and still does not used any oil. I burn Mobile 1 which I'm sure helps. Have had literately no mechanical issues other than regular maintenance. Very comfortable car."

Long term vehichle

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

"I bought this used in 2008 with almost 200,000 miles on it. Now in 2014 it has around 240,000 miles on it and it's still going strong mechanically. Issues with this van are minor, the power door sticks in extreme temperatures, the tailgate handle broke and had to be replaced, and now one of the seats isn't latching into place correctly so I'll have to have that looked at but this van is holding up really well to well my 4 kids and busy schedule."

Best Family Vehicle

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

"Only one owner on record. Have not been used to travel out of State. Have Aluminum 16" tire with 4 steel spare tire, used for winter.Black Color with factory tinted glass. Maintenance is all done by the owner."

has 235,000 miles and still runs great!

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "lasts forever"

Cons: "extra space is limited"

"This has been a very reliable van for our family for years. Definitely a good value. Drives just like the Camry."

wear and tear on handles latches and locks

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "quick, maneauvable"

Cons: "radio buttons fell off"

"sliding door button sticks, rear hatch broke, outside handles broke, sunroof drips"

Dependable transportion

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "V6 Engine in vell good, Plenty of room"

Cons: "Brakes squeal"

"No thrills vehicle. Brakes are horrible though. Brakes squealled within 6 months of purchasing car brand new. Replaced front and back brakes three times and brakes STILL squeal. Power Door is tempermatic and lock button on sliding door sticks inside the handle."

Expensive but quality is good

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"The 1998 version does not have the features of the later designs. It was an expensive vehicle but I purchased it for the reliability and quality for which Toyota was famous. I have owned this car for 15 years. The exterior body is excellent as is the interior because of my care. Tumble seats are heavy to remove. Cons: Tire pressure warning system had problems initially. Leaked oil. After a dozen years, the air conditioner gave out and could not be repaired because of the fusion between dissimilar metals in the connections. Sun visor mirror and light panel literally fell out while I was driving, and rear door handle broke, the latter occurring just two years ago. Back power windows have some issues at times (won't close on occasion). Tape player had issues, too when just about 7 years old, even though not used much. Eats tires. I am generally satisfied, though, but felt that the car was expensive, probably because it was newly made in 1998."

Expensive but quality is good

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"Bought it used 6 years ago, cheap because it had a scratch and stained carpeting. I commute about 60 miles a day, it's held up beautifully, have driven it about 90,000. miles with just routine maintenance: brakes/tires/timing chain/battery."

Best van ever!

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "It drives like a dream."

Cons: "I can't think of any."

"Our family has had nothing but the best service from this vehicle. Even though it is a mini van and nobody gets really excited about owing one, once you drive it, you'll be sold. It has made my life so much easier with its power doors and video system. I'd recommend it to anyone."

Highly reliable van if maintained

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Smooth quiet ride, good space, ok gas mileage"

Cons: "sliding door sometimes needs to be reset"

"I bought my 2001 Sienna new. Overall the Van has provided great service. I have maintained the van with 100% synthetic oil changing it every 3500-5000 miles. Trans oil changes every 50k. No oil gelling issues. Van has just started to use some oil between changes in the last 30k miles or so. Only non standard maintenace items needing to be replaced were a cat convetors (most expensive),air/fuel sensors, oil control valve, vacuum switching valve on charcoal canister , rear hatch door handle, and drivers sun visor. Couldn't be happier.. engine and trans still running great. Front end is a little loose but still ok. This van has made many long vacation trips filled to capacity without any issue. I am not sure if today's Sienna has the same quality level but knock wood this one has been highly reliable."

Awsome Van!

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

"Loved this car from the day I saw it. Only owned it for 3 months now and so far my worse complaint is the battery the dealer put in it! I had them replace the battery (it died!)and problem solved. It is touchy on snow and ice had to get used to the steering. My last car was older and it lasted me 3 and 1/2 years, family is betting that this will last me 8 + years and it is a 2002! Everyone seems to think that I made a good choice in a Toyota and I agree."

Excellent

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

"I am very satisfied with this vehicle."

This van has major hardware issues

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "strong engine, comfortable ride"

Cons: "terrible hardware issues"

"My family has owned a 1998 Sienna for 10 years. It has served us well, but has had continual hardware failures. We have replaced these things: transmission at 8 years old, 3 out of the 4 exterior door handles, drivers side sun visor, the slider door panels have frequently come loose and rattle, both slider doors get stuck/handles freeze up and wont' open, and the rear quarter panel windows have worked intermittently and tend to rattle. An integration relay recently went out and we lost all interior dome lights, some dash lights, and the power door locks. That said, it is a still my daily driver and runs faithfully. The engine is still strong, but the body hardware and interior is falling apart. It keeps me humble when I am driving it around town."