1999 Toyota Sienna

Based on 396 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Not a Honda

By on Sunday, May 17, 2009

"I own Honda's (for me) and Toyota Minivans (for my wife). We use the later as the family hauler. This is our second Sienna. Our first was a '00 model year and the second (and current) was an '03. I'm writing this after owning the '03 for 6 yrs. Our '03 is an LE model with 83K miles after 6 yrs. We bought it new. Negatives (I want to vent first, positives later): ================================= I'd have to say the overall quality is just OK. Mostly fit and finish stuff but we've also had problems with some major mechanicals. Door knobs, lights, compartment doors, removable seat mechanisms are a joke. Really bad. We've had doors that refuse to open and jam. Mostly the sliding doors. The mechanisms are really flimsy. Once the passsenger slider refused to latch so I had to drive home with the thing not fully latched...with my kids in the car. The seat latches don't hold up either so I just leave the seats in (for fear they'll bust). Right after the warranty expired one of the latches jammed and they wanted 800 bucks to replace the entire seat. I gave the toyota people a piece of mind with that one. I was livid. They had me over a barrel and they knew it. We had those same problems with -both- siennas. That's one of the reasons I traded in the '00 for the '03. I thought maybe I just had a 'friday model'. It's a toyota so it's supposed to be good, right? On the current one (83K miles in 6 yrs), we had the suspension replaced (under warranty but it would have been $1.2K). After another 50K miles it's making the same noises. We just fixed a broken power steering pump (900 bucks). Positives: ======= Engine is basically solid. No reliable problems there. The power is decent. Handles OK for a family minivan. Good space for the kids. Opinion: ====== Honda beats Toyota for reliability. I've had two honda accords and put 150K on the first one and the second is at 100K right now. The fit and finish on the honda is superb. Flawless quality. In 250K miles (both cars) I've put about 400 bucks in unscheduled maintenance. Really. My current Honda Accord ('03 EX Leather) is so satisfying I have no urge to replace it even after 6 hrs and 100K miles. Can't say the same for Toyotas. We've had problems with both mini-vans. Same kind of things. It's better than a GM but its not honda levels of quality. It's basically a good family hauler, OK performance, OK comfort and reliable enough we'll continue to use this one as the family hauler. But the lousy fit and finish and couple of thousand bucks in unscheduled maintenance has turned me off of Toyota. I won't buy another."

Overall pleased but...

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "heavy safe"

Cons: "rear seats a pain to remove"

"Still have under 100k, and warranty for sludge is only 10 years now. so hopefully I will have no sludge. Seems that I am penalized a bit from Toyota since I do not drive it as much. Carr performs great, but there is like 7 emission sensors on van that make check engine come on. Replaced one that was easy labor 250.00, the other was like near gas tank, almost a grand . 95% repairs made at Toyota dealer"

Reliable hauler

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"My wife got this in 02 after my son totaled the 01. It is still going strong with 213k miles. Hauling capacity is great as my wife is an antique dealer and can stuff lots of merchandise in the van for shows when the seats are removed. Decent handling and ride for a van. A bit noisy on the highway, however. No major problems outside what is expected with wear. The door handles do wear out too frequently and the rear a/c has become very noisy and is no longer used. The van must run on premium gas or there will be stalling problems after 100k miles. But other than periodic maintenance that is it. Pollution sensors start to fail around 180k miles, much better than 80K plus on my BMW."

A very reliable van

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Can't think of one."

"I have owned it for 13 years with 275,000 miles. Beside normal maintainance absolutely no major expenses. Still has original suspension"

Overall, it's a good vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "Reliable engine and transmission"

Cons: "Poor interior build quality"

"I've owned a Sienna CE for 13 years. The engine and transmission have been good. The troublesome things are that many of the parts inside the van have broken. These were not all done by our kids (who are now grown). I think there is a certain amount of planned obsolescence in this vehicle. Then again, that may be true of other manufacturers. We have also had a few oddball electrical problems with our Sienna. The driver's seatbelt light comes on, even when the driver is buckled. The parking brake light is on, even when the parking brake is not set."