1998 Toyota Sienna

Based on 383 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

So frustrated with Toyota's....

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Great when it's working..."

Cons: "Too many problems to count..."

"We bought our 2002 Sienna 5 years ago with approx 60,000 miles on it--expecting it to get up to 200,000+ without much hassle, not the major problems we got starting at just over 100,000. For the first 3 years we didn't have any problems, but for the last 2 it has been one thing after another. A year ago we had to replace the whole computer. Put another $2000 into it two months ago only to have the check engine light come on AGAIN just recently. Which just happened to coincide with the automatic sliding door breaking and the need for our annual safety inspection. Took it in and the catalytic converter and O2 sensors are shot, it failed safety for several reasons, and the motor is shot in the automatic door. Altogether, repair costs are more than the value of the vehicle! Besides these major problems, there are all sorts of small parts breaking throughout and several repeat issues that keep resurfacing even after they were "fixed." Sick and tired of feeling like I got a lemon. Figuring we just happened to get a lemon we went ahead and bought a 2006 Camry with just over 100,000 miles and again, issue after issue draining our bank account and more simple things that show the quality is just not there. Don't think I'll buy Toyota again any time soon!"

would buy it again

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cons: "wish back side windows opened"

"comfortable, reliable. Everything within reach. This is my third Toyota off the showroom floor...highly recommend."

WONDERFUL CAR .

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "GOT MY MONEY WORTH"

"WONDERFUL CAR, OVER 400000 MILES, STILL HAVE SOME OF THE ORGINAL PARTS."

A real workhorse!

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Strength, room, simplicity"

Cons: "As mine was a CE, not much for accessories"

"Being a single, older, woman, I am often asked why I need a van. My 2000 Sienna CE allow me to take my mother on the last road trip of her life - comfortably. Later, it became the easiest vehicle in the family to get her into and out of when she was wheelchair bound. It has hauled gardening rock for a three tier garden, gotten a groom and his groomsmen to the church on time, etc. I will miss her, but with my limited knowledge of car care I hope to find someone to take better care of her for her next 100K miles! And I'd buy another 2000 Sienna with fewer miles in a minute!"

Excellant Van

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: New Toyota

Pros: "Durable, good room."

Cons: "Door handles."

"I purchased this van new and owned it for 15 years and 202000 miles. I did most maintenance myself. I ran synthetic oil - no sludge. Removing the oil filter is messy. I changed the transmission oil every year. No transmission problems even while pulling U-Hauls to college.I had one power window stop working which I changed. I have changed 4 of 5 door handles over the years. Easy to do except the drivers door. I have replaced the radiator last year. Cracked on the top at the hose where most do. Great van on long trips. We traded it in for a Venza - downsizing."

Reliable, incredible value and the best I've owned

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, excellent production, value"

Cons: "Removal of back seats is difficult"

"I bought this Toyota Sienna van because I wanted a vehicle that would last beyond 3 years. I've had others that would start to breakdown after a three year period in small and some in big ways. Relying on friends who raved about their Toyotas, I made the switch and bought one. My plan was to see if it would last at least 8 years. Well, I have to remind myself that it is now 11 years old. I'm certain that I could get several more years out of it. Except for minor problems due to age, it is very sound. I will definitely buy another Toyota."

Great dependable van.. Perfect for kids &families

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, great features for kids and families"

Cons: "Turn radius"

"Great van. Dependable. Perfect for kids and families with features such a leather interior , power windows, reclining seats, flip down video screen/ system, sunroof, and remote power doors."

This is a GREAT vehicle

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, drives great, low maintenance"

"We have been very fortunate to have picked this van over 12 years ago. It has over 171,000 miles and it has been a true gem. Besides the normal maintenance on this van, we really haven't had any problems or major repairs. This includes the body and the paint still looks great! This vehicle has not been garaged for most of its life, so for it to look so great after all these years in the weather is amazing. It has been nothing but reliable over the years and when we buy a new van someday, we will definitely choose another Sienna."

Best, most reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "small cargo space"

"I love Toyota and love the Sienna - it's consistenly consistent. I'm currently at 260,000 miles and my mechanic tells me I can get 400,000 minimum - I'm taking the challenge. The only maintenance has been routine. I am diligent to change the oil, full tune ups about every other year, and good tires. It drives well in the snow, adequately tows small loads, handles beautifully and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I will endure minivan mocking for reliability and excellence."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, June 06, 2013

Pros: "Excellent for family"

Cons: "Alternator replacement every 3 years"

"Excellent car for family, hauling, long trips, soccer team. Good gas mileage. Comfortable to drive. Like the styling better that later models. Fantastic in snow country (where we drove it for most of it's life) with only all weather tire. Occasional chains in heavy snow(use Spike spiders!) Only downside was a new alternator every 3 years..no matter what brand, new or refurb. But this was a minor inconvenience given our overall satisfaction."

really nice

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"i am the second owner of this van. very impressed with the way it handles and it rides like a car. currently have the seats down so it's like having a covered truck bed. have had a little issue with the battery, but believe that is all taken care of. i know everything that has ever been done to it, so i know it is a good vehicle."

Great mini van

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "You ride up high, you see more than a sedan"

Cons: "The rear vision is not the best"

"This was a little disappointing from the Previa. I thought of the Previa as my rubber car. The Sienna was smaller. I had hoped that I would enjoy it as much. I do love sitting up high and I love the leather. I installed Satellite Radio and upgraded the speakers. The sliding doors do not work. You have to manually open them. But it is a great car with 165,000 miles on it."

reliable and comfortable

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "easy drive, easy ride"

Cons: "road noise is a bit loud"

"I pulled a pop-up camper 10,000 miles and averages 20 mpg. On long trips in cruise control I have gotten as high as 27+. The advantage of this one over new ones is that the seats not used can be taken out and reduce the weight in the car. It is a great riding vehicle not bouncy like smaller cars. And you are high enough to see what is ahead of you. It has done everything I have needed to have done. I have done regular mainainance, oil change at 5000 and tire rotations."

I love my car.

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Sit up high, so easy to see out of, fun to drive."

Cons: "no cons"

"My mini-van is so easy to drive and comfortable to sit in. It seats 7, so I can fit most of my grandchildren in it. I taught 2 grandchildren to drive in it and they loved how well you could see out of it. It's easy to get in and out of because of the height. I love the running boards, also."

Work every penny!

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "strong and solid engine"

Cons: "door handles if I have to list something. lol"

"Personally after reading all the review. I must say, if you have 300,000 miles on the car, you should be looking for the above and beyond the scale can provide. And if you are killing the rating over the CD player not in the vehicle, just keep in mind the vehicle is about 14 years old. CD was an option at the time and obviously someone did not pay for the option. With the money you save, you could of have an after market one install as well. Now that's out of the way,I would like to say the engine of the vehicle is still going strong, just simple maintenance will keep the car going for a very long time. The most issue that I have really is the door handles for interiors and exteriors. I know quite few people had the same issue. I even saw a lady driving the same car on the street with all handles dangling. It cracks me up to see the same car and color withe the same issues that I have and I just got mine fixed. Good luck is you are considering the same car or newer!"

Great car - Excellant value

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

"Bought this car with about 70,000 miles. Now has over 292,000! Still has lots of power. One major complaint was door handle breakage. All door handles operate a cable to open the doors. All 5 have broken at least once - 2 of them twice. Age, New York winters and salt will soon force the retirement of our best car to date."

fabulous family vehicle. comfortable and spacious

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "comfortable driving. spacious. extremely reliabl"

Cons: "a couple of blind spots."

"Love our minivan. Can adjust which seats to remove or just drop down. Plenty of drink holders. Very comfortable seats. Has never ever broken down on us. Regular maintainance only needed. Amazing comfort for such an old car. Easily fits 7 people with space inside and on the rooftop carrier."

Great vehicle!

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Comfy seats that fit me, roomy, economical,"

Cons: "Cassette instead of CD player"

"Never dreamed I would drive a minivan, but I have over 300,000 miles on this Sienna LE and I love it! I have never owned a Toyota and never drove a minivan, but I will definitly be buying another one after this one. The only thing I would change is that it has a cassette instead of CD player and I would improve the speakers."

Love this van

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

"I have had this van for 11 years and it is very reliable (I have changed oil and performed regular maintenance the whole time) I love the two electric doors. When my children were small these were invaluable. Only small things have broken up until this year. A CD has gotten in the CD player and the rear door handle broke and there isnt another way to open it ie no handle on the inside to pop the rear."

Overall pleased but...

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "heavy safe"

Cons: "rear seats a pain to remove"

"Still have under 100k, and warranty for sludge is only 10 years now. so hopefully I will have no sludge. Seems that I am penalized a bit from Toyota since I do not drive it as much. Carr performs great, but there is like 7 emission sensors on van that make check engine come on. Replaced one that was easy labor 250.00, the other was like near gas tank, almost a grand . 95% repairs made at Toyota dealer"

Great Mini-van!

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Good mpg, Great A/C"

Cons: "Minor electrical problems"

"We purchased this van used with 100k miles on it and have added over 50k in 4 years. It gets 23 mpg on the highway with no a/c and about 20mpg in the city with a/c. The a/c is one of the best features! It has front and rear controls and works great! We have needed it while driving in the south. Our 1991 Privia had more head and leg room for our tall guys and a great fresh air ventilation when not running the a/c, but I enjoy the confidence of the improved safety rating of the Sienna. The only problems we have had are intermittent electrical troubles with the locks and windows. Otherwise, tires, oil changes and routine maintenance have kept it running great."

good car for it's money

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "Worth the money"

Cons: "Drives like a truck"

"It was very affordable. I had it for 12 years and we are about to trade it for the Kia Sorento."

Best Car Ever

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "Comfertable, Fun to drive, easy to drive love it"

Cons: "to big for what it holds"

"The car had great gas mileage, comfortable and affordable worth the price"

Incredibly reliable. Going strong at 257,000 miles

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "Super reliable. Comfortable to drive."

Cons: "Body hardware, such as sliding doors."

"This is my second Sienna. I purchased both new, one in 1998 and this one in the fall of 2001. Other than scheduled maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt at 90,000 and 180,000 miles, this minivan has required very little. It's had the brakes serviced a couple times. I replaced the original battery after nine years and I change oil every 5,000 miles. There is no rust and the finish still looks good. The only signs of age are the rear sliding doors, which are getting noisy and the carpet which is quite worn. It has always started in the cold Minnesota winters and runs like a much newer vehicle. When it had 250,000 miles, I purchased new 100,000 mile rated tires. Our goal is 300,000 miles, but this car owes us nothing. When it dies I will give it a dignified burial and go shopping for a new Toyota, probably back to a Camry this time."

Best!

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "all over"

"I drive it, my family drive it, never let us down, minimal maintenance needed, comfortable, reliable....GO TOYOTA! and ford stinks!!!"