1998 Toyota Sienna

Based on 400 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Best Minivan Ever!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"I purchased my Sienna used from the guy that owns the parts store that I use. It was his wife's personal car. Undoubtedly, he didn't know the value of this van, because he let me have it for $3900. This is at least a $6000 van, folks. I test drove it several times, mostly because the mileage was quite high at 185,000. It drove and rode like a dream! We have taken several long road trips in this van and it hasn't let me down once. The only thing I've had to do to it (besides normal maintenance) was to put an alternator on it. That was the first replacement alternator the van had ever seen. All the seats are long-haul comfy, even the back seat. Mine has 2 sliding doors and four captain's chairs, with a split bench in the back. The paint is glossy and all the hardware works. The only thing I've found that doesn't work is the cd player. It keep kicking the cd's back out without playing them. Otherwise, I'm one happy camper and would recommend this great minivan to anyone. The Sienna is by far greater than Caravans, Odysseys, Windstars, Sodonas and everything in between. It now has 195,000 miles on it and still going strong."

Overall, it's a good vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "Reliable engine and transmission"

Cons: "Poor interior build quality"

"I've owned a Sienna CE for 13 years. The engine and transmission have been good. The troublesome things are that many of the parts inside the van have broken. These were not all done by our kids (who are now grown). I think there is a certain amount of planned obsolescence in this vehicle. Then again, that may be true of other manufacturers. We have also had a few oddball electrical problems with our Sienna. The driver's seatbelt light comes on, even when the driver is buckled. The parking brake light is on, even when the parking brake is not set."

Durable car - some minor design flaws

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Durable, reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "Not flashy, 3rd row does not fold flat"

"I have had this car for over 7 years and it still is my daily driver. Biggest problem was transmission and AC compressor failing. This was after reaching the 250,000 miles so I don't fault it too much. On the other hand, whoever decided that the door handles should be made out of plastic should be fired. I had to replace both drive and passenger side."

Great Van!!!!!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, safe, comfortable, and powerful."

Cons: "ugly exterior"

"I've had this van for 9 years and it has 210,000 miles on it and still going strong! The only problems we've had on it were recent and they were a/c belt, alternator, power sliding door motor(we just removed it), and valve cover gaskets. I got it with 50,000 miles on it 9 years ago and for the first 6 or 7 years of owning it we took it from Cincinnati, Ohio to florida and back every summer without a problem. the only reason i dont go on vacation with it anymore is because i got a boat and truck. I highly recommend this to every family who takes long trips as it is a 5 star rated van and is rated THE SAFEST MINIVAN ever made. Just remember to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, replace tires every 5 years, and do brakes when necessary. It is also a very comfortable van as it has The 7 seating option with 4 Captains chairs and a rear bench seat or, The 8 seating, 2 captains chairs and 2 bench seats option. This van also has the 3.0 L V6 with 200hp that gets 23 mpg on the highway and 18mpg in the city. So this van has enough power to easily pass anyone on the highway and tow up to 3500 lbs."

A real workhorse!

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Strength, room, simplicity"

Cons: "As mine was a CE, not much for accessories"

"Being a single, older, woman, I am often asked why I need a van. My 2000 Sienna CE allow me to take my mother on the last road trip of her life - comfortably. Later, it became the easiest vehicle in the family to get her into and out of when she was wheelchair bound. It has hauled gardening rock for a three tier garden, gotten a groom and his groomsmen to the church on time, etc. I will miss her, but with my limited knowledge of car care I hope to find someone to take better care of her for her next 100K miles! And I'd buy another 2000 Sienna with fewer miles in a minute!"

Very reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Drives like a car, especially on turns."

Cons: "Needs a center console for storage."

"I own a 2000 CE model, purchased in 2004 with 42k miles. This model doesn't have any fancy features, but as a basic minivan it has served us well. The back two rows of seats are removable easily. We have loaded drywall, appliances without any issues. The only real problem we have had is replacing the latch on the tailgate, $70 DIY job. My husband takes care of regular oil changes, we have spent money on regular maintenance of the vehicle as recommended by Toyota. Mirror cover under the visor on passenger side broke."

Great minivan with few drawbacks.

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable seating and a good ride."

Cons: "Cheap outside handles!!!!!"

"Great driving record with no repairs other than new brakes. I bought it new and now it is 9 years later and my biggest complaint is that I have had to replace 4 handles at over $200 per handle. :O They are apparently made of plastic (to lighten the van for gas mileage I was told???) which did not survive the teen years with all the sports trips with tons of other teens! I hated every time another handle broke as I already knew the large cost involved in replacing it. Otherwise....good van."

Great ride for the kiddies

By on Sunday, May 31, 2009

"I have 4 kids as well as a wonderful wife who, despite my love, has a bad habit of trashing vehicles. For some reason, our Sienna survived long enough for me to pay it off. It is reliable, rides well, and is easy to drive. I feel safe knowing that my whole world is protected inside of it with all of its wonderful safety features. I hate mini vans, but I will drive this one."

Best vehicle I ever had!

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"First let me say that I wrecked my van last weekend & am waiting w/ to learn whether or not it'll be considered a total loss. I hope not!! My Y2K Sienna has 198,000 miles on the odometer now, and had 55K on it when I bought it from a private seller 6 years ago. In all those miles, I have done regular maintenance, replaced 2 batteries (entertainment system over-usage while waiting for kids at various activities) and had a minor repair to an outside piece of the transmission. Also the lift-back door handle snapped at one point. The transmission repair was $300, the hatchback handle was less than $100. That's it. Less than $400 in repairs on an 8 year old van with nearly 200,000 miles on it. Most importantly, I had 5 kids in the van when I crashed. All 6 of us were fine- not one of us was even bruised. I have never doubted why this van was voted the safest vehicle on the road when it came out, edging out even the regaled Volvo. My Sienna is fabulously comfortable on long trips as well. The 2nd row Captain's chairs are easily as comfortable as the driver's seat. I hope my van is repairable, but if it isn't I will buy another Sienna without reservation. I've done the preliminary research and the only van that I think could even compete with the Sienna, is Honda's Odyssey. Everything else just pales in comparison."

Suburban plus

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Bought the LE in 2002 new. Looked at Odyssey but hard to get. Have 63,000miles now. Not disapointed so far. Wife drives 30 miles round trip winding, hilly road to work daily, mileage w/V6 is only 16-17mpg, but she loves how it handles. Longer beach trips loaded @ 21 mpg. Tires do wear, due esp to weight on front end; suggest allignment program @NTB. Brakes replaced every 13-16K as she DRIVES; rotors repl @ 62K! Front strut seal broke @ 55K, replaced both. Fuel sensor repl@ 59K. Regular oil changes; keeps running great. Fit and finish are holding up well. Exterior still looks new. Very pleased but the daily mpg is a killer! Tune up can only replace front 3 plugs, other 3 need mechanic as unreachable. She loves it, I get to drive it to fill it up, and on long trips. Great on the highway."

Best Minivan Available

By on Saturday, December 22, 2007

"I bought this van after my old Acura Integra died. My family loves it! We take lots of 300 mile trips and it's the most comfortable way to travel. With first and second row captain's chairs and a third row split bench, there's plenty of room to stretch out. Privacy glass keeps the sun from glaring in, and there's cupholders and storage cubbies galore! We've never had any mechanical troubles, and the odometer just turned over 200,000 miles. However, looking at it and driving it, you'd swear it didn't even have 60,000 miles. The only problem I've experienced is from the power rear vent windows. When I first bought the van, I opened those windows and it took forever to get them closed again. Weak motor, maybe? Other than that, I'm looking forward to the next 200,000 miles! If you want a minivan that will stand the test of time, don't buy a Dodge, Ford, Nissan, Chevy or even a Honda van. None of these are anywhere near the dependability and reliability of the Toyo Sienna!"

Purchased new, no problems at 138,000 miles

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "Good ride, reliable, has remained rust free."

Cons: "It isn't pretty"

"Vehicle was purchased new. I average a little under 11,000 miles/year. Other than routine maintenance my only expense was an ignition switch that had to be replaced. I use it routinely to pull a small trailer with 4 kayaks. The trailer only reduces my mileage by 1 mpg. Highway mileage at 70 mph is consistently 25-26 mpg. Getting ready to replace it with a 2015 Sienna SE, not because I need to but because I want to."

Great Family Car!

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

"I drove it 220,000 miles over 16 years. Really like the bucket seats in the back and also like the fact that you could remove the seats. Lots of capacity. In fact, more than my husband's truck. Also really like the rear climate control. No major mechanical problems ever. The only issues I had with the car were that we yanked off nearly ever door handle inside and out. It also had a poor turn radius. Highly recommend this car. Just be gentle with the door handles!"

The best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Powerful engine, well built body, dependable"

Cons: "I've tried, really, but I can't think of any."

Jan. 2014 taken in Kentucky after driving through the second blizzard that month.

"I bought my 2000 Toyota Sienna in Nov. 1999 with 103 miles on it. We bought an XLE, with the towing package and with the plan to put 300,000 miles on it. 15 yrs out now, my van has 180,000 miles on it and it's been all over the country, driven through several blizzards, through mountain passes, and on city streets in 103 degree weather. We perform the recommended maintenance on time, every time. I steam clean the carpets once a year, even the interior looks like a newer vehicle. The engine runs like it is brand new. I love the power available in the engine, such as when I've made an error on an entrance ramp and need to gun it to make sure I'm not forcing someone to slam on their brakes. The engine has never needed anything but normal maintenance. I have flushed every fluid for the second time now and fully expect I'll put another 100,000 miles on it. The rear hatch handle is made of hard plastic, it had to be replaced recently and I replaced to with a metal one myself. Nothing else has given us a problem. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm thrilled to be driving an engine with 180,000 miles with no foreseen need to rebuild the engine. I drove it halfway across the country in January, through 2 blizzards and the TN mountains twice without a doubt of its ability. I'm very glad to own this vehicle. The photo was taken in Kentucky at the end of the second blizzard."

Extremely reliable minivan

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Reliable"

"My Toyota Sienna minivan has 230,000 miles (and counting) and other than routine maintenance has given me very little problems. This car has been an excellent value and transported our family and a lot of stuff all over the country. I love my little green van!"

Best van ever!

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "It drives like a dream."

Cons: "I can't think of any."

"Our family has had nothing but the best service from this vehicle. Even though it is a mini van and nobody gets really excited about owing one, once you drive it, you'll be sold. It has made my life so much easier with its power doors and video system. I'd recommend it to anyone."

Super Minivan

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable ride, loads of space, still runs fine"

Cons: "getting old"

"This has been the best minivan ever. Ok, it is a tan minivan, so the cool factor is low but it is extremely comfortable for long drives. My wife has a bad back and can not stand the ride in most cars or vans. My Mother-in-law lives 1100 miles away and we have driven there every summer ans several winters over the last 12 years to visit. The interior is huge. If you remove the seats you can haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. When the kids were small, we hauled strollers, fold-able play pens etc and were never over loaded. I will say that after 90,000 miles we started to have to make repairs, but compared to buying new, these have been manageable. We have spent $1500 to $2000 per year chasing oil leaks, dead batteries, and various other things, but it starts every day and takes my wife to work."

great van

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "definition of reliable"

Cons: "nothing of consequence"

"Bought this van with 50,000 miles on it at less than average trade in. What a bargain! Closing in on 200,000 miles since then and it's been a great ride in a great van. Used for touring, working out of, vacationing, kid running...everything. I've had Toyota, Honda and Nissan exclusively for 30 years and the Toyota win hands down every time. This van is like a timex watch. I love the smaller size compared to the newer generation vans... still plenty enough room. Only repairs till recently have been regular...just starting to get into o2 sensors, and this year door handles are giving out. I'm replacing and continuing. Just had it up on a lift yesterday and even in New England it has very little rust so I'm keeping it going. The transmission has trouble shifting out of low when it's cold. Only the first time it's driven after sitting...been doing that for 150,000 miles so it doesn't seem like a problem!My only suggestion to Toyota ...make a smaller van or a Corolla or Camry Wagon again (I've had both) Don't want an SUV!"

Best Car Ever!!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "comfortable seats,sliding door(s),cargo space,A/C"

"Bought my sienna when my 3 kids were young and have driven it for 11 years now. Absolutely the best car we have ever owned! Completely reliable and super practical and comfortable. The sliding door and lower profile make it great for young and older kids. Easy for kids to move around inside the vehicle. Tons of cargo space. I used to love my husbands SUV until I got my sienna and then realized how easy it was for young kids to get in and out of the sienna on their own. No more lifting, and no worries of fingers getting slammed in doors. The seats are SUPER comfortable both for the driver and passengers. We have taken many long trips in this car and with 3 kids and all of our stuff( and sometimes the dog) there is still room for everyone to be comfortable. The A/C cant be beat! Living in AZ where summer temps are 100 degrees my car was always cooled off within a few minutes even after being parked in a hot parking lot. We drove a Honda Oddysey before we bought the toyota and that A/C didnt even compare to the toyota. We have taken good care of it and at 211,000 miles it is still going strong! Never broken down or had any problems whatsoever. I would highly recommend this vehicle. You will not be dissaponted!!"

Best vehicle ever made!

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Great value, very roomy, reasonable mileage"

Cons: "Seatbelts can be hard to connect."

"I have owned this van since it was built. We have travelled 252K miles together in all kinds of weather and road conditions. I have never heard of any vehicle that performed better. It was hit by a tractor trailer last week, spun across a highway, and slammed into a concrete median, and it still started up and I was able to drive it home 10 miles away. A testament to how well made and sturdy and safe this vehicle is. It gets reasonable mileage too. If you are in need of a great used family vehicle, this is the one for you."

Excellent keeper. Steady performance.

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, easy to park. plenty of room for shopping items, suitcases, coolers, etc."

"This is the second Toyota we have owned and it is a great van that we have used for short vacation trips and local needs. It has never failed us and now that I am a widow, the van is used locally and for in-state trips."

By on Wednesday, July 08, 2009

"very good vehicle. i will make this van last as long as I can. very reliable. only draw back is repairs are costly. general maintenance is fine but major fixes are costly. overall a great vehicle."

By on Monday, June 15, 2009

"We bought our Sienna used from its second owner 5 years ago. This van has been totally reliable, even after 130,000 total miles, we have had NO unscheduled stops. We do scheduled maintenance and take care of normal wear items; otherwise, this van has been completely trouble-free. It is short on driver and front passenger leg room but that is significant only on long road trips. The styling is bland, but that is superficial anyway. This machine is well-engineered and was assembled by fellow Americans. I would definitely recommend this car to any friend and will probably consider the Sienna first as its replacement. The total cost of ownership, considering fuel mileage, insurance, maintenance and repair has been unbelievably inexpensive. It is really nice being able to get in and go without worry."

Disappointing durability quality

By on Saturday, December 20, 2008

"I have had to do a lot of work to maintain this vehicle. For a family with teenagers, it is not durable at all. Many things have just broken with use - hatchback door latch, both rt and passenger door handles, inside sliding door paneling. Mechanically, I have had the vehicle from 60K to 165K miles and have had to replace radiator, engine mounts, and rebuild the transmission, also belts started squeaking a lot when started after 120K. Not very impressive and very disappointing for Toyota. I'm inclined not to buy a Toyota again."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 16, 2008

"We bought the Sienna with 8 miles on it back on '02. First brand new car we ever bought.Traded in a 94 4dr Olds. Best move we ever made! This is the second Toyota product I've owned. I recommend this van to any family who spends a lot of time transporting kids to multiple events. After six years and 110k miles, it still looks attractive and runs like the day I drove it off the lot! We just replaced the timing belt and had some regularly scheduled maintenence done. If we can get another 100k (minimum) out of it then I think I got my monies worth."