2008 Toyota Sequoia

9.3

Based on 153 Ratings for the 2008 - 2016 models.

Very Solid Vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pros: "comfortable, surprisingly quick"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I have now owned my 2008 Toyota Sequoia for just over 4 years and 60K miles, have not had a single issue. Has been extremely reliable, comfortable on long trips, and is large enough to put my families stuff in it with room to spare. The only negative is the gas mileage. I drive all city driving and it gets 11-12 miles per gallon."

Fine vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"The only downfall is the rear visibility when backing although it does have a back-up camera and sensors."

It is the best SUV, if you need the third row

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

Pros: "All good"

Cons: "Price and need an extended version"

"I looked at all the full size SUVs and it came down to the Ford Expedition and the Sequoia. I went with the Sequoia because of the following: 1. The second row seats slides for access to the third row. This makes it easy for my kids to get in and out. 2. Easier to drive and short turn radius. 3. I needed the power for towing our trail trailer. Mine also has the supercharger as well."

Rolling beast

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pros: "Feels as big as it is. Just needs cannon turret"

Cons: "Nav screen. Cargo room."

"My wife and I both love driving this SUV. We bought the Platinum edition, 2010 model year. More features & driver control than the Expy Limited we traded in. The center console on the 2nd row is OFF THE HOOK! Love having 3 options to adjust the ride: smooth, normal, sport. GREAT idea to put buttons behind and to the side of the 2nd row seats to lower or raise the 3rd row. You can, as with the Expy, also do that from the back with the tailgate raised. You CANNOT do that in a Chevy or Caddy. Their 3rd row is still manual! STUPID! They haven't changed that since they introduced the 3rd row! We would have bought an Escalade if it weren't for the idiotic 3rd row. But I digress. Back to point: it has so far been everything we expected from Toyota. Reliable, higher quality fit & trim, quieter ride than Expy. The only glaring downsides are 1) DEFINITELY does not have the cargo room of an Expy. 2) Many functions on the nav screen you can't do while the car is moving. It's a safety feature, but did the Japanese forget that PASSENGERS ride in PASSENGER vehicles? 3) Listening to a call coming from the vehicle's bluetooth ain't great. Time will tell on true reliablity, and how I ultimately determine its value. It only has +/- 42,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong mechanically yet. And it hasn't. Not like the GMC I bought whose transmission gave out at 38,000 miles. I will tell you this: the salesman used an electronic tool to test the paint thickness on the Expy we traded in. Any significant variations among the different areas of the car would tell him the car had been repainted, indicating certainly body repair, and possibly an unknown/unreported wreck. I had him test the Sequoia and the paint thickness was twice as much as the Expy. More durable? Harder to damage/scratch?"

Very Nice

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Fun to Drive, powerful, comfortable"

Cons: "Nav System"

"The turning radius is quite amazing. Toyota has done an amazing job compensating the weight of the car with the 5.7 litre engine that carries a lot of pep. between city/hwy driving it averages about 18-19 mpg. Toyota has upped quality of the interior this past year on Sequoias because of complaints. This is reflected in the 2011 model i purchased. Nothing cheap on it. The inside, is very comfortable and ergonomically placed. JBL sound system out does the bose system in others.. Caveat is the navigation system. It's weak and outdated. My iPhone4 has a better GPS. The screen disables when the vehicle is moving as a safety feature. This can be very annoying and cumbersome because most, if not all functions of stereo, DVD, nav, phone and voice control systems are run through this screen. Roadtrips are very comfortable and would say that this is the Sequoia's strong point. We have rear bucket seats in the Platinum which makes for a very comfortable ride for rear passengers. Third row seats are very roomy and have electric seat backs. For their high-end model (platinum), I'm disappointed that there arent a few options on it such as: rain sensors and keyless start. These may be offered as an option that I'm unaware of. overall, Im vey happy with the Platinum Sequoia and feel its the best bang for the buck in the full size group."

Some much Truck!

By on Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"I'll start with what I dislike... The interior has too much plastic, the front pillars and seating position make visibility poor, some controls could be better placed and it's really hard for shorter people to get in out of. What I love: It's an incredibly powerful vehicle for towing our small boat, It pulls it like a little toy, Interior is very comfortable, spacious and has so much storage, brakes are very good, turning radius is good, gas mileage isn't too bad for such a large and power vehicle, dependability is excellent. My small complaints are just that. I really don't think my family's owned a better vehicle."

Great cruising machine

By on Friday, August 27, 2010

"Have owned for about 2 years and overall enjoy the vehicle. We purchased it because of its interior room since we travel extensively for basketball tournaments and back and forth to college in Tennessee. The quality of this vehicle is not up to what Toyota is supposed to be about. The transmission is not very smooth, especially at lower speeds, it seaches constantly for the right gear. Gas pedal is very 'jerky". Needs sensors in the center of the front bumper not just on the ends due to visibility issues. Performance, towing and pickup are great,lots of power. Comfort inside is excellant however even though this is the Platinum edition, materials are a bit "cheap". The nav system is annoying in that you cannot operate it when the vehicle is moving. I agree with this if you are by yourself, but if you have a passenger with you in the right front seat, they should be able to use system without having to stop. Overall, a very nice road vehicle with tons of storage room. Toyota needs to get back to quality, like before, and not like when they first were built in the 60's. Engines and trans were great, but bodies were terrible. Seems that Toyota is starting to forget what made them #1."

Does what I need it to do

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Power, versatility, comfort, safety, capacity"

Cons: "Low range"

"Have had a 2012 Platinum edition for about 10 months. Have made four 13 hour straight shot 900 miles each way run to North Carolina and paid less for gas, arrived more rested, and carried a bunch more stuff than I could in my BMW X5. The gas mileage is lower, but it burns regular which saves on the actual cost. The range is lower that the X5 (320 miles per tank v. 450 in the BMW), but the dogs like the extra break. I drag a 5,000 lb pontoon around NC. My X5 would burn a little clutch (yes, clutch) getting it up a ramp. With the Sequoia, I can't tell anything is back there. And all the mirrors make it a breeze to back a 9 ft wide pontoon into an 11 ft wide carport. The truck does fine in Chicago traffic, and I have no problems with on-street parking - all the sonar and the rear view camera do help with that - or issues with garage heights. The adaptive cruise control takes a little getting used to, but is really nice on open roads. One issue, the cruise control in adaptive mode doesn't like rain, but you can turn the radar off and use regular cruise control mode. I usually use the "sport" ride set-up, and it's still comfortable and almost as quick as the BMW. It doesn't blow as much as the BMW in crosswinds, and is really stable on ice. I like that I decide when she's in 2, 4, or 4 Low wheel drive, v. some computer. In soft mode it rides like a luxury sedan. I have had no service issues, and haven't paid a cent for maintenance service through 3 oil changes. It reminds me of the 1999 4 Runner I had years ago - on steroids and with a few more bells and whistles."

I love this Vehicle.....

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pros: "great to drive, very easy to handle..."

Cons: "we chose black which shows scratches easliy"

"I love this vehicle! I was afraid it would be too big for me, but it handles like a dream and it turns on a dime for its size. If you are afraid it will drive like a truck.... it doesnt! Its big enough for our family of 6 and all of our luggage when we travel. The only down fall for us would be that my extended family is always wanting to take it on trips. I would HIGHLY recommend the Sequoia."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, March 20, 2016

Pros: "This vehicle is a PRO"

Cons: "would like to have light up door locks"

"There is only 1 thing I would wish for on this vehicle that it doesn't have, that is for the door lock switch to light up. This vehicle is the perfect vehicle for family, a mom, a grandma. Turns on a dime and so easy to maneuver . All seats recline making it very comfortable for the entire family on long trips. DVR and sunscreen side rear windows really make it enjoyable and wonderful for keeping the children entertained on the road. Great mileage, and wonderful service."