2008 Toyota Sequoia

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2008 - 2014 models.

Beautiful car. Poor gas mileage.

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Great interior and ride"

Cons: "Mpg poor"

"Less than 12 mpg both city and highway."

I think I have a lemon :(

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "size, comfort, ease of handling"

Cons: "braking noise"

"We bought this car new in 2010. And it has been an awesome car for our family. It hauls the kids around, all their friends, their gear, etc. with ease. However, I have had nothing but problems with the brakes on this car since I got it. Not with them not working, they work just fine. With them squealing. Loudly. All the time. Yesterday, the kids at school pick up put their hands over their ears. We have machined the rotars, replaced the pads, replaced the rotars (at only 60K). The dealer has been very nice about it but they can't seem to fix it. I will probably be getting rid of the car because it drives me crazy :("

WHAT A VEHICLE!!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "Gas mileage. but it's a V-8 4x4"

"Everything anyone could ask for in an SUV. The bells and whistles, ride and drive, and quality and resale are fantastic!!"

Great value - top performance

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Reliability, Road Warrior"

Cons: "Loose steering-low end tires on nice rims"

"This is an exceptional value vs the high end Lexus (same engine) and GM products. I drove Suburbans for years until they became 80% plastic. Because I keep my trucks for a long time and don't buy a new one every three years- I went for reliability. If you want to experience why I turned away from GM, just sit in the back bucket seat of a Denali and then the back bucket of the Sequoia Platinum - absolutely no comparison. The Denali interior is mostly plastic and the back buckets are perfectly sized for a dwarf. I've now had my Sequoia Platinum almost 2 years and only two issues come to mind. First off, while the turning radius is incredible, the wheel is a little sloppy and steering seems engineered for female drivers more so than a work truck on a job site. I like more resistance when I turn the wheel. Second, mileage. (which is in no way a defect as I knew that going in). For the money, ($55,000) There is not a better full-sized SUV on the market!"

2011 Platinum -Worst 4WD and High Risk of Rollover

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Most comfortable seats, Accelleration"

Cons: "Old 4WD , Rollover risk, cooled seats useless"

"We have had 3 Tahoes, 4 Suburbans, 1 Trailblazer and 1 ForeRunner and 1 Denali XL... all of them made me feel safe driving in rain, snow or sleet. The Sequoia scares me given its high center of gravity, ultra short steering radius with no resistance, High Torque and a 4WD system that makes you switch it on/off at low speeds, so when you are on the highway in variable conditions you better have it on or it will be too late to help you maintain control. In my first snow storm I was feeling the truck sway and cars where spinning out ahead and could not engage the 4WD!!! So you need to leave it on and watch the fuel gauge move fast at 11.5 mpg. It also has several overpriced and useless options/ features like the Radar Controlled Cruise which is frequently unavailable when the truck is dirty or wet and the manual leveling system, it's a lot quicker and easier to adust a trailer height than this truck's height! I was sold on the interior and seat comfort which is nicer than the GM and Ford Big SUVs but is hard to be comfortable when it doesn't provide a modern 4WD and safe handling. I care about my friends too much recommend this joke of a 4WD SUV to them. I am going to trade it in for a new LTZ Suburban and feel safe again!"

It is the best SUV, if you need the third row

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

Pros: "All good"

Cons: "Price and need an extended version"

"I looked at all the full size SUVs and it came down to the Ford Expedition and the Sequoia. I went with the Sequoia because of the following: 1. The second row seats slides for access to the third row. This makes it easy for my kids to get in and out. 2. Easier to drive and short turn radius. 3. I needed the power for towing our trail trailer. Mine also has the supercharger as well."

best SUV for the $

By on Friday, November 23, 2012

Pros: "roomy, easy to drive, very comfortable"

Cons: "uncertainty of future production"

"You absolutely will NOT find a better, more comfortable, more reliable full-size utility than the Sequoia."

Fantastic SUV! Still drives like its new!

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "Ride, comfort, solid, solid SUV"

Cons: "Gas mileage?"

"That's the thing about Toyotas, they are so well made that this truck is just as tight and sturdy as the day I bought it for my wife back in 2008. It has been rock solid in reliability as well. The perfect family Ute and extremely comfortable for the kids. Doesn't get the best mileage but can be overlooked for everything else it delivers. If you are seriously considering an SUV then this is a must drive. Zero disappointments!"

Does what I need it to do

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Power, versatility, comfort, safety, capacity"

Cons: "Low range"

"Have had a 2012 Platinum edition for about 10 months. Have made four 13 hour straight shot 900 miles each way run to North Carolina and paid less for gas, arrived more rested, and carried a bunch more stuff than I could in my BMW X5. The gas mileage is lower, but it burns regular which saves on the actual cost. The range is lower that the X5 (320 miles per tank v. 450 in the BMW), but the dogs like the extra break. I drag a 5,000 lb pontoon around NC. My X5 would burn a little clutch (yes, clutch) getting it up a ramp. With the Sequoia, I can't tell anything is back there. And all the mirrors make it a breeze to back a 9 ft wide pontoon into an 11 ft wide carport. The truck does fine in Chicago traffic, and I have no problems with on-street parking - all the sonar and the rear view camera do help with that - or issues with garage heights. The adaptive cruise control takes a little getting used to, but is really nice on open roads. One issue, the cruise control in adaptive mode doesn't like rain, but you can turn the radar off and use regular cruise control mode. I usually use the "sport" ride set-up, and it's still comfortable and almost as quick as the BMW. It doesn't blow as much as the BMW in crosswinds, and is really stable on ice. I like that I decide when she's in 2, 4, or 4 Low wheel drive, v. some computer. In soft mode it rides like a luxury sedan. I have had no service issues, and haven't paid a cent for maintenance service through 3 oil changes. It reminds me of the 1999 4 Runner I had years ago - on steroids and with a few more bells and whistles."

Some much Truck!

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

"I'll start with what I dislike... The interior has too much plastic, the front pillars and seating position make visibility poor, some controls could be better placed and it's really hard for shorter people to get in out of. What I love: It's an incredibly powerful vehicle for towing our small boat, It pulls it like a little toy, Interior is very comfortable, spacious and has so much storage, brakes are very good, turning radius is good, gas mileage isn't too bad for such a large and power vehicle, dependability is excellent. My small complaints are just that. I really don't think my family's owned a better vehicle."

what a gas-guzzling pig of a car!

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "big and roomy"

Cons: "laughable gas mileage, too huge to drive in city"

"I absolutely HATE this car --a 2010 sequoia with all the bells and whistles. First, it is ENORMOUS -- fell for the size because i often take the high school golf team with clubs to tournaments. Didn't realize it gets VIRTUALLY NO GAS mileage -- 13 in city and 15 on highway == is what our car's own info claims!! One time of high travel, I actually filled it up EVERY DAY for $90 each time!! It is so enormous that I have hit everything there is to hit -- my garage door, my basketball goal, every curb in town -- granted, I did the damage, but each and every time necessited huge repairs, new tires, door swung into parking lot wall in heavy wind needing new paint and dent repair, the list goes on. It drives like a truck and makes my kids nauseaus when we go over a speed bumps -- they call it "the bucking bronco." I CAN'T wait to unload it -- I figure with what I've paid in repairs, I can afford a top-line new car."

Rolling beast

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "Feels as big as it is. Just needs cannon turret"

Cons: "Nav screen. Cargo room."

"My wife and I both love driving this SUV. We bought the Platinum edition, 2010 model year. More features & driver control than the Expy Limited we traded in. The center console on the 2nd row is OFF THE HOOK! Love having 3 options to adjust the ride: smooth, normal, sport. GREAT idea to put buttons behind and to the side of the 2nd row seats to lower or raise the 3rd row. You can, as with the Expy, also do that from the back with the tailgate raised. You CANNOT do that in a Chevy or Caddy. Their 3rd row is still manual! STUPID! They haven't changed that since they introduced the 3rd row! We would have bought an Escalade if it weren't for the idiotic 3rd row. But I digress. Back to point: it has so far been everything we expected from Toyota. Reliable, higher quality fit & trim, quieter ride than Expy. The only glaring downsides are 1) DEFINITELY does not have the cargo room of an Expy. 2) Many functions on the nav screen you can't do while the car is moving. It's a safety feature, but did the Japanese forget that PASSENGERS ride in PASSENGER vehicles? 3) Listening to a call coming from the vehicle's bluetooth ain't great. Time will tell on true reliablity, and how I ultimately determine its value. It only has +/- 42,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong mechanically yet. And it hasn't. Not like the GMC I bought whose transmission gave out at 38,000 miles. I will tell you this: the salesman used an electronic tool to test the paint thickness on the Expy we traded in. Any significant variations among the different areas of the car would tell him the car had been repainted, indicating certainly body repair, and possibly an unknown/unreported wreck. I had him test the Sequoia and the paint thickness was twice as much as the Expy. More durable? Harder to damage/scratch?"

I love this Vehicle.....

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "great to drive, very easy to handle..."

Cons: "we chose black which shows scratches easliy"

"I love this vehicle! I was afraid it would be too big for me, but it handles like a dream and it turns on a dime for its size. If you are afraid it will drive like a truck.... it doesnt! Its big enough for our family of 6 and all of our luggage when we travel. The only down fall for us would be that my extended family is always wanting to take it on trips. I would HIGHLY recommend the Sequoia."

Love this 2008 Toyota Sequoia, Limited. SUV

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, dependable, fully loaded"

Cons: "Gas mileage averages about 16 mpg city and frwy"

"I have owned an Acura MDX, loved it, and a Cadillac Escalade ESV, this suv is taller so be carefull in small garages. I had more room in Caddy, but had to remove seat where the Sequoia just folds down. It has more storage places in it than any other vehicle I have ever seen. Great for long trips very roomy. Would like better gas mileage, but love this SUV and we are thinking of buying another."

My Favorite Car Ever

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "VERY COMFORTABLE"

Cons: "Small trunk and expensive sticker price"

"Love this car. I only wish it had a larger trunk space as it is a gas guzzler and using the roof rack only increases the gas usage, especially during road trips. But a super comfortable car. I never want to trade it in!!"

Great for Family, but very overpriced

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Sturdy, Family-oriented vehicle"

Cons: "Gas mileage and weak easily scratched paint"

"I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited with a 4.7L engine which I purchased used with approximately 27K miles. This is a great family car. Its very spacious, reliable, agile, mechanically sound and sturdy vehicle. I have towed a large boat and driven on long road trips. In both scenarios, this car performs flawlessly. The only complaints I have are: 1) The paint seems like it scratches easily (specially the front of the car where every now and again a small rock will strike). My suggestion would be: Avoid driving behind large trucks at all cost... Rock chips are common. 2) The gas mileage, of course. Even with a clean air filter, new sparkplugs, highly inflated tires, this is a guzzler. Even when driven at 55mph, this is a guzzler! On the highway, I get about 17mpg at 60mph, and about 15mpg at 70-80mph. In the city, I get as low as 13-14mpg. This mileage is worse than what some of my SUV driving friends get with their Yukon, Tahoes, etc. 3) The handle for the rear door broke leaving me not able to open the rear door. According to my local Toyota dealer, it is a common breakage. It set me back ~ 396 dollars. 4) The back-up camera has broken twice. It simply sucks. If you have a large family and can live with low mileage and paint that easily scratches, this is a car for you."

this suv is awesome,

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Corners very well, turbo engine very fast"

Cons: "gas"

"This is my second sequoia, I owned a range rover before this is better. Its a lot on gas but which car this size isn't? Its very spacious inside, all the seats are powered. All my family fits comfortably, heated seats bluetooth, the whole nine yards!!"

fantastic car. i love it.

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "all around excellent balanced vehicle"

Cons: "Gas mileage of course."

"Car is fully loaded with everything you need in a vehicle and then some. Very pleased with this car."

Love It

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"We just bought this car and I love it. It is really comfortable and my kids love the dvd player in the back. Can you say ROAD TRIP!?!?"

Great vehicle, powerful, copious interior space

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "price for features especially the sport trim optio"

Cons: "cheap dash and exterior styling"

"great suv, 100 hp more than a chevy or ford with the 5.7L 6 speed and more interior room"

Best Truck/SUV that I've owned so far.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Toyota reliability; easy to drive; space."

Cons: "Cost - $50,000 plus."

"In approximately 3 years of ownership, I've driven it over 105,000 miles. It's been used for family road trips, camping/hunting trips, and commuting to work. The driving position is great due to the short hood, which makes it easy to drive. The backseat is huge and easy to configure. Gas mileage is consistently 17 mpg in combined driving."

Best Toyota vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Power, comfort, ride, options,"

Cons: "Gas mileage, price,"

"For the price, this is the best vehicle in its class. It drives as well and, in some cases, even better than the Lexus SUV, Range Rover and Land Cruiser. I use it to tow a camping trailer and it has no problem with it. It does not drive like a "truck" like many other SUV's in this size. Prior to this car, I owned a Cadillac Escalade and this car has less "bling" but but drives just as well and has the same power. (plus, I get less attention from the police because it is more of a family vehicle). I would recommend the limited or platinum edition because the options are excellent. I do have a complaint about the seat warmers. You can hardly tell that they are on. The JBL stereo system is very good..however, I did take the car to a car stereo store to do some upgrades as there is NO car stereo installation that can meet my demands. The engine has plenty of power. Many SUV's are underpowered. But, Toyota provided an 8 Cylinder 400 HP 6 speed engine that can pretty much tow anything and still provide a comfortable ride."

My second Sequoia

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "comfort, value, styling, performance,"

Cons: "tricolored dashboard"

"I bought the 2004 Toyota Sequoia and loved it so much that I traded it in for the new body style of the 2008 Sequoia. I have almost had this truck for 4 years and I still love it! I have never had any problems with it. We have so much room in it that my three (nearly adult) children can comfortably fit in any of the three rows. We often take trips in our Sequoia, and everybody fits comfortably. There are more cup holders than passengers and each of the seats, including the third row, recline. In the blizzards of the last two winters, we have used our truck to pull other SUV's out of deep snow or off ice. THIS IS THE BEST SUV ON THE MARKET!"

best suv on the market

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I have owned Dodge, Ford, GMC and Nissan in the SUV class and the Sequoia is by far the best auto. Its size is no obstacle, MPG on the road around 21 and in the city avg. 19."

I love this vehicle. I'd buy it again!!

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Sits high so I can see way down the road. Fun!!!"

Cons: "I haven't found any yet."

"I purchased the 2011 Sequoia Platinum edition in November 2010 because I live in WV and work in VA. I needed something that would get me off the mountain in any kind of weather. It showed itself worthy of every dime January 26, 2011 during a freak snow storm that brought the DC area to a standstill. The 4WD was incredible. It hugged the road and made a dreadful commute quite pleasant. I'm single, but like big vehicles because I shop a lot. The third seats lay flat giving me all the cargo room I need. I love the heated and cooled seats. The fact that it uses regular unleaded gas is a plus. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for an SUV."