2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,373 - $23,112.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 84 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

The 2013 Rav4 XLE is an excellent overall value.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

"I had a mini van and really didn't like the image. The kids are in high school now, so having a back seat with good head room was important. Also important was a big space in back for groceries, easy to park, easy to back up, easy to get in and out of, good gas mileage, easy to drive overall and affordable (no higher than the mid $20,000 range). The RAV4 does all those things very well. I only considered Toyota, Honda and Mazda models because of ther reputations for quality. NOTHING wears off that new car feeling quicker than when there are problems with it. I looked at the Mazda CX5 and thought the car was excellent except the power was not real good for getting on to the freeway and I felt I was sitting kind of low or closed in inside. The CRV is a great car, but nothing really stood out for a wow factor, seeming kind of plain compared to the RAV4. I'm completely happy with my RAV4. Very satisfied. The only things I would caution about are the options that really hike up the price quickly and aren't all that necessary; and secondly, the pressure at the dealer when you're forced to sit there, listening to an extended sales pitch for all the over priced stuff they want to sell, like an alarm, interior protection, paint protection, pre-paid warranty service and on and on. Be wary of the delears out there and choose wisely. The final thing that pushed me over the edge to choose Toyota was the Service Department: how well they treat you for the service, offering free rides home or to work and being open all day on Saturday's. These things are important to me, because I will be paying on my car for the next 48 months."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, good price for options,"

Cons: "Some road noise"

"I've had my 2013 RAV4 XLE for about a month and so far, I absolutely love it. MPG is great-- I've taken it on a trip and averaged 31 highway MPG at 70-75mph (Texas speed limits). I like the Eco Mode/Sport option- I switch pretty regularly between them as I'm merging on the highway or driving through town. I've taken a lot of people in the car and everyone seems to have room whether they are in the passenger seat or back seat. There is a little more road noise than the Mazda CX-5, but I selected the RAV4 for price (I got it cheaper than the Mazda CX-5 Touring), comfort, and proven reliability/reputation."

4 Months on the road...still love it!

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Pros: "Sharp Looks, Handling, Seat Comfort, Very Roomy"

Cons: "Check your tires air pressure"

"Purchased my 2013 Rav4 Limited with BSM, and I couldn't be happier. I also looked at the CX5, Rogue, and the Forester. The Rav looked the sharpest standing still as well as inside the car. I really don't miss my old 6 cyclinder Rav. Pickup is sufficient, better when it's in Sport Mode. Mileage is good, not great, but then again it's the same with the other mini suv's I looked at. Noticed some reviewers said their ride was harsh. My advice is to check your air pressure in each tire. When delivered I noticed how harsh my ride was. Found out each tire was over inflated 45-50 psi. Once I took each tire down to 32 psi, ride became much smoother even on the 18" Limited tires. Other than that am glad I bought the Rav with no regrets. Had my last Rav for 6 years with no issues at all, so reliability is important to me."

Less than expected

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Navigation display screen"

"I have been a loyal Toyota owner for about 15 years. I like the new styling but sure miss the power of the V-6 engine, the car seems underpowered. The biggest disappointment is the Entune/Navigation display. During daylight hours the screen is very difficult to see due to glare."

Better than expected

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfortable inter., sport & eco modes"

Cons: "Limited passenger storage."

"The family was looking to down size vehicles and also improve gas mileage. So we looked in the small SUV category at all options- Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda 5, Chevy Equinox, etc. Although all have them had certain features we liked and it was a tough decision, the new RAV4 overall was the best quality, options and new style that fit for us. The value for the options we were looking for led us to the XLE model. We have had the vehicle now for more than a month and it has been even better than expected. The ride and comfort are very good for a small vehicle. There is plenty of leg room even when there are four or five people. Back seats recline which makes the difference so you get a feeling of more space. Gas mileage has been great coming from a large SUV. Overall it has been a very good vehicle."

One Sweet SUV!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, and tons of amenities."

Cons: "Wimpy Horn (only negative I could think of)"

"I'm one of those people that need to research everything to the nth degree before I purchase. I researched and test drove many small SUV's....... For the price, features, ride quality, performance, and overall bang for the buck you can't beat the newly designed 2013 RAV4. I honestly could not be happier with my purchase and absolutely enjoy driving this vehicle. The XLE trim level has the most bang for the buck with many standard features you'd have to either pay more for or purchase the top trim level to get it in other SUV's. Completely happy with purchase.....you can't go wrong with the 2013 RAV4!"

Lifelong Honda Guy Converts to Toyota!

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "Fit and Finish, Styling, Power"

Cons: "Heavy Steering, Audio for USB media clunky"

"I have owned the 2007 CR-V and every iteration of Civic/Accord/Pilot/Fit/Integra Honda-Acura since the 90s. I'm a through and through Honda guy. We naturally wanted the new 2013 CR-V to replace our Acura RDX which was a gas monster but Honda has really cheapened this car. Honda has really lost its way. Things about this RAV-4 that stand out: 1- Great interior room...bigger than the CR-V 2- Great interior fit...even the XLE comes with a rear view camera, strong A/C climate control and nicely stiched dash cover. Honda needs to take a lesson here on how not to make a car look cheap 3- Great looks...very aggressive and classy compared to the doughboy round look of older RAV-4s 4- Great engine pickup...for a 4 cylinder this is very nice and the fly by wire throtle response is good 5- Not so good...heavy steering...not sure why this is but parking lot turning is heavy 6- Audio seems a little touchy with USB memory keys and the song name (MP3 track info field) doesn't display (only shows the file name which is too long and gest truncated) 7- "J" car...this car is bolted in Japan which usually means very high quality and care in fit and finish Finance Note - Toyota Finance does not include gap insurance on leases and you need to pay an extra $15+ for it per month...Honda Finance has included this for free for a long time and it is very important to get this."

Highlander to Rav and no regrets

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Push button start, interior layout"

Cons: "No XM on Limited w/o Nav upgrade (unreal)"

"I have only had this car for three months and just 3,000 miles, but I traded in a 2012 Highlander SE AWD for the 2013 Rav4 Limited AWD. No. 1 reason was gas mileage and they basically traded the same amount. Good little car. Definitely lacks the power but I didn't buy it for power, bought it for better gas mileage, Highlander was a bit of a guzzler. A lot of my driving is highway or at least 60/40, and I so far so good with the Rav4. Averaging around 23-24, but it has also been bitter cold (not above 0 for weeks at a time), and that keeps me closer to 22-23. High tank was 26. My biggest complaint is that I declined the Nav-speaker package and by doing so, without knowing so (my salesperson was misinformed) killed my ability to get XM through the touchsceen. Car does NOT come with it unless you drop the whatever over a grand for the nav and speakers which I wasn't interested in. Not sure what Toyota was thinking -- my bare bones Saturn Vue from 2008 had XM. Otherwise, features are great. Push button start and access to the car is hugely helpful, power lift gate is great, just like the Highlander, bluetooth works just fine. Two complaints, like I said, so far is the power, which I KNEW, and the XM, which I did NOT. But no regrets. Has handled just fine in the snow as well. We also own a loaded 2012 CRV, and I love Honda. Rav4 is quieter for sure, CRV appears bigger from inside but specs says it isn't so. Can't really go wrong with either of them, but I like the Toyota dash better and has a few more features (push start, power lift gate) CRV doesn't yet have."

Best crossover ever

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "grear price, fun to drive, great fuel efficiency"

Cons: "many features on the XLE are operated manually"

"My family was looking for a compact crossover, and we were choosing between this Rav4 and CR-V. Finally, we bought the Rav4 XLE AWD. I really like this vehicle because it also has the navigation system. Driving the Rav4 is really enjoyable."

Perfect blend of features

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow, fun to drive, lots of space"

Cons: "rear cargo power outlet, glare on radio screen"

Snow Day!

"I've owned my 2013 Rav4 XLE AWD for 2 months now and have absolutely no complaints. The Rav4 handles great in the snow & slush on the stock Michelin tires. There is plenty of power from the 2.5L 4cyl engine to merge onto the interstate and easily cruises along at 80 mph-I really don't need to go any faster. I suggest using Sport mode for city driving or in stop & go highway congestion. The interior is quiet, ride is firm and I haven't any of the creaks or rattles others have complained about-those may be unique to that owners vehicle. The controls on steering wheel for the radio & BT phone interface are well placed & easy to use. I test drove several other CUVs prior to purchasing- and decided on the Rav4 due to comfort of the seat (I drive a lot), exterior styling, cargo space and fuel economy (avg 27.9 on trip computer). Could use a cargo area power outlet."

Snow Day!