2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,371 - $22,989.

10/6.9

8.2

Based on 65 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Too many downgrades.

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "Love the blind spot signals and back up camera."

Cons: "Too many cheap downgrades."

"This is my third Rav4. My husband is still driving the 2007, with over 100,000 miles on it. We have never had a serious problem with it. I had a new 2012 with only 8,000 miles on it when I was hit and my car rolled twice on an interstate. The car was totaled. I walked away with some scratches and bruises. I credit that to the car's safety features and God. I immediately bought a 2013 to replace it, without a lot of thought to the changes in it except for the rear hatch now being opened from the top. After I bought the car, I realized that Toyota had actually cheapened down the car. Gone are the extra console compartment, the second closed glove box and the little change and garage door opener cubbies. Not to mention the 110 plug in and the digital radio controls. The carpet is replaced with a cheap-looking material along with the sound-proofing. The road noise is really loud, and the wind noise around the Windows is really bad. As far as driving, it is ok, but not as quick on the take-off as my 6 cylinder 2012. The storage in the back was cut down for a place for the under-sized spare tire. That is a big downgrade as far as I am concerned. And why did they take out those great handles to lay the seats down from the back? It seems like they took all of the best features out. I do love the backup camera and the blind-spot signals are wonderful. But why did they put a switch on the dash to turn them off? The controls stuck on the left hand side of the dash are very hard to see, and very awkward to use. Too easy to push the wrong button. All in all, I would not recommend this car, nor will I buy another Toyota. So disappointing!!!"

Limited does not mean all the goodies.

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, fuel efficient, safety features"

Cons: "Missing a few nice to have features."

"I purchased the 2014 Rav4 AWD Limited about 3 weeks ago. This vehicle was to replace a 2006 Toyota Sequoia. Granted there is no comparison between the two SUVs other than they are both Toyota and both Limited models. While the new Rav4 is great, I too noticed a small list of features that were missing. Here are a few observations. As mentioned in other reviews, there is no sunglasses compartment and no power port in the arm rest. No home link for the garage doors. Door pocket storage is very limited. Finally, perhaps the most glaring short-coming is the the passenger seat is leather and heated, but not power! Come on Toyota my 2006 had all had all of this because it was the Limited model. I purchased the most fully equipped 2014 Rav4 I could find, however Toyota failed to provide these small, but meaningful features. Okay now some of the good stuff. The handling is great and the fuel economy is as stated, maybe a little better, time will tell. I opted for a model with the "Technology Package" which includes the standard rear-view camera, rear cross traffic alert detection, bind spot monitoring and alerts, lane departure alert system and automatic high-beams. This is really helpful because it helps keep you more aware of traffic and people around you. I also purchased an aftermarket receiver hitch which was so easy to install because Toyota provides the threaded weld nuts in the frame. (Toyota wanted 3X the price for their hitch, buy aftermarket and install yourself). The Nav system is good,but I would like a the screen to be larger. Finally the JBL sound system is very nice, not Bose, but very nice. Overall, I really like this Rav4 and look forward to keeping it for at least a decade."

great vehicle, good MPG for SUV

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "very functional."

Cons: "Seats and clunking."

"Major complaints are the soft tex seat covering. In the summr you get a wet butt. Their soft but don't breath. More like old vinyl seat covers. Rear clunks on rough roads. But, I'd definitly buy one again."

The Best

By on Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pros: "Has a lot of great options like navigation and AWD"

Cons: "What is there not to like."

"This Rave4 is just great. It looks sporty and is a joy to drive. It also keeps its value better than any other car I have owned."

Bought new from my local Toyota dealer

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Awesome infotainment system"

"bought the new RAV4 from my local dealer. Great suv with good system with navigation. The one I bought was with special JBL speakers and paint."

Roseville Automall in California, RAV4 over others

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Power, Suspension, Cargo, Reliable"

Cons: "Towing only 1500lbs, No HID lights. No LED DRL."

"I own this car after looking at all, and i mean all compact SUV vehicles. Took me 13 auto-mall hrs to choose and this Rav4 was the most powerful 4cyl engine I ever drove. A way to test drive was freeway on-ramp with 4 adults taking two salesmen on the ride. If the car you driving cant pick up to speed to get on freeway like a small powerful car then you will waste your time or have that sluggish takeoff. Roads are not getting safer and a car this size that cant accelerate in a case of an emergency can make a huge difference. Gas mileage was amazing and the ride height is at average level, safer. The vehicle downside to my needs was the low towing capacity going from a 3500lbs tow to 1500lbs on the redesigned model. No V6 engine so that forces you to upgrade to highlander if needed. No more 7 seat but that only gives you the room this small SUV should of had from day one. Materials inside are moderate to high grade. Seats are amazingly comfy with no issues. The rear seats recline enough to seriously take a nap. The vehicle is waaaay too quiet but that is a good thing. The suspension on this car feels too soft but it was very responsive and almost air ride quality. The blue crush color is the sporty looking of the Rav4. I have to say that this is one of the best cars I have ever owned in my life. Toyota seriously kicked some butt with this model and year. Test drive one and be amazed for yourself."

Best car ever

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Great quality, great price"

"This car has been so amazing for our family. Totally worth the money for a quality vehicle. It's only a 4 cylinder, but is surprisingly peppy. It speeds up very quick and is such a smooth ride. We took it down to the beach and got stuck in the sand, we put it into Sport mode and we got right out. I'm very impressed with this vehicle and will probably keep it until it dies."

Went from Avalon to Rav4 bumpy transition

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "cute, sporty, comfortable"

Cons: "no Home Link little storage only seats 4 gas"

"Rav4 is a great little car reliable and cute. Drove it in all weather situations did great in snow & slush. Took on $10k road trip with husband seeing national parks it was comfortable for the two of us. I am however disappointed in the lack of bells and whistles in the Limited Edition considering the price. There was no Home Link for garage door which we didn't discover until after the purchase, our bad we should have confirmed but it is a Limited for goodness sake! Very very little cabin storage for sunglasses and incidentals. Really only seats 4 humans but seats are comfortable. Gas mileage wasn't as great as promised, I got better gas mileage on my old 6 cylinder 2002 Avalon, that was another bummer to give up power for little to no return. We have to park outside and the windows don't remove water or any condensation when rolling up and down so visibility was an issue until car totally warmed up which was unfortunately usually right about when I arrived at work. This is no problem in summer but if you live in the NW is an issue 9 months of the year it was not fun to get rain in the car & freeze out the kids in the back so I could safely see to turn etc...this and the garage door opener and lack of storage sent me over the edge trading it in for a car that fits me better!! I would recommend car for reliability and comfort but would throw in the above disclaimers."

overall very disapointed 2014

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "nice looking inside and out"

Cons: "over priced tinny"

"doesn't have auto lift gate ,audio system on the cheap side.If the ford focus has one why not the rav-4"

I love this car

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "roominess for my family, reclining backseats"

Cons: "tire light, dash rattle, wiper location"

"I love this car and am so happy that I purchased it. I got exactly what I paid for. It is roomy and I find quite comfortable compared to the Honda. The kids love that they can recline the back seats. The amount of room when the seats are folded down is amazing. I have hauled bikes, patio furniture and 6' trees in this car. It has it's quirks. Automatic carwashes are a no-no. The carwash clothes get caught in the lights and roof rack. Also if car wash is high powered the sunroof leaks. The dash is a combo of different things. It developed a terrible rattle but shove a business card in between the cracks and the rattle disappears. One major flaw- the windshield wipers rest below the heating ducts, thus snow and icy days is real hard because the wipers freeze and the windshield is real hard to clear. The wheel light is very sensitive. Mine has been on for 4 months. I gave up going to the dealership and tire shop because I never had a pressure problem. The fluctuation of warm days/cool evenings cause the light to go on. Ignore it. I have listed the main quirks but I still love my car. It fits my family perfectly, handles well in the snow and runs about 23.8 mpg. I wish that was better but I won't complain."

Grat car

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive"

Cons: "Wish it was a v6."

"Love just about everything about this car. Interior is functional and stylish."

Uncomfortable and Inconvienent

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Reason: uncomfortable

Pros: "turning radius"

Cons: "noisy, uncomfortable, limited storage"

"First off, I have been a loyal Toyota driver for almost 15 years. I Still drive a '96 Tacoma and traded in my 2004 4runner to purchase the 2014 Rav4. I've heard great things about the older Rav4 but I have no experience driving them. This review is for the 2014 Rav4 XLE. My wife and I bought the 2014 Rav4 to get better gas mileage than our 2004 4runner. The initial driving experience was pleasurable. However, after putting 5,000 miles on it we realized it was a bad decision. The 2014 Rav4 has contoured bucket front seats. The extreme contour was pushing my shoulders forward and pushing into my arm/back. After 15-20 min of driving, my right arm and hand began falling asleep. I did not notice this during the test drive and my wife drove the Rav4 the majority of the time. I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination (5'6", 150), so for the seat to be that uncomfortable was unacceptable. We called the dealer to see what our options were and they recommended sitting on a pillow (not very professional, but that's another review). The 2014 Rav4 driving experience was not very pleasant. The road/tire noise is almost deafening, literally. I used a decibel app on my phone and standard highway driving was 87 decibels (hearing damage occurs with prolonged exposure to 90 decibels). As a comparison, the same drive resulted in 77 decibels in a 2014 Highlander and 80 decibels in 2014 Honda CRV). The Rav4 sounds like you're driving on a loose gravel road, very annoying. The lack of storage in the 2014 Rav4 is inexcusable. The center console compartment is tiny, the center console cup holders are inconvenient and only worth holding a phone as tall cups can't fit. There is no sunglasses compartment. The interior is cheap in quality, design, and function. Even though I bought the vehicle brand new, I took a huge hit and traded it in after 3 months/5,000 miles because it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. We ended up buying a 2014 Honda CRV and are much happier."

Unexceptional SUV in virtually every aspect!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "A Toyota"

Cons: "Interior design of cockpit and instrumentation"

"Actually my wife's car, bought primarily because Toyota offers "SmartKey" and none of the other SUVs in this class did. Nevertheless, the ride is stiff, drivers area feels cramped, and noisy engine. My primary complaint is the poor interior design of instrumentation and storage. This crazy layout has virtually no visibility of the dashboard readings, hard-to-find buttons and a navigation screen that is unreadable in the daytime. Surprisingly it is accurate 95% of the time. An OK car but not one I would buy for myself."

Barely average

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Lots of cargo space"

Cons: "Mediocre safety / crash test ratings, stiff ride"

"I have owned the RAV for about one year. I bought it based on previous experience with Toyota vehicles and a good trade-in offer I got from my dealer for my previous car - my net-out-of-pocket on the RAV was ~$2-3k less than other comparable CUVs. After one year of ownership the best I can rate this car is "average". The only real positive is the amount of cargo and passenger space. In every other area the car falls short, especially comparing to competition. It's noisy, has a very stiff and uncomfortable suspension, safety ratings are mediocre (below key competitors), transmission behavior is strange and disconcerting, mileage is OK but not outstanding. Bottom line - just average, and easily outclassed by other vehicles in the same category."

2013RAV4 is an ideal vehicle for anyone.

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Handles like a dream, gas mileage is good."

Cons: "For personal reasons I have to sell this car."

"Durable, it has the compatibility for many people. Now that the extra wheel is not on the back of the vehicle it has a remarkably ease for parallel parking."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Rear seats fold flat; makes a great pickup truck!"

Cons: "I bought the black interior. Shows all dust."

"I've owned my 2013 RAV4 for 14 months now, and there has not been a single flaw or minor problem. First time that's ever happened to me with a new car, and I've bought half-a-dozen over 40 years of driving."

Rough riding

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "too rough"

"Roughest riding car I have ever owned"

Good Value & Reliability

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, well-built, good exterior styling"

Cons: "no backseat USB or power outlet, odd dash layout"

"I owned other crossovers from other manufacturers before I bought my first RAV4. After owning it for a year, this car feels the same as the day I drove it off the lot and I have had absolutely no issues with it. It handled amazingly in the rough winter we had and I felt confident driving it. The cabin is quiet but some of the feature switches are in odd locations and obstructed by the steering wheel. The interior is sturdy and simply designed but I do miss some conveniences like a backseat USB or power outlet and more console storage like I had in my previous crossovers."

Cons: "slightly harsh ride on rough roads"

"this is my second Rav4 and third toyota all together, I've owned Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, and several other domestic vehicles as well and I think for the money you can't go wrong with a toyota, I drive roughly 3000 miles a month so I spend a great deal of time in my car and I never feel driving fatigue from long trips and my Rav4 is great in the harsh Pennsylvania winters. I have 39700 miles in just over a year of ownership and aside from oil changes and tire rotations my car has not been in the shop at all. The ride is a little harsh on rough roads but what most people fail to realize is that the Rav4 is not a luxury SUV its an economy SUV with nice features added on for convenience so if you want an SUV that rides on a cloud go drop $80k+ on an Escalade that will never outlast a toyota."

GREAT SUV...HORRIBLE IN SNOW

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "value, eco/sport modes, controls, fit and finish"

Cons: "rides terrible in snow"

"Luv my RAV4 XLE from being best in a value instead of Ford Escape its very sporty with a upgraded interior. Drives absolutely excellent in road handling and gets over 28 mpg. I have the XLE and AWD model being nicely equipped have all options included from Atune radio system on having several stations or more through touchscreen with apps, available navigation system, upholstery leather seats includes heated front seats. Controls are well easy function using got a clear backup camera with green stitched lines. Seats are plus on folding down in 60/40 split they are very comfortable for long trips. It rides good but does a terrible job in heavier snow as can't handle the icy roads for some reason. Eco mode/sport mode what like on rav4 on giving great gas mileage. USB port is standard on hooking my iPod when driving have collection of my music can program through audio system. I am happy with my Toyota drove a 2008 Equinox but traded in because wanted a better quality vehicle on saving less gas and have superb ride which have with RAV4 its a sporty SUV being the greatest ever."

LUV MY RAV4

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "Supple ride, controls, smooth, gas mileage"

Cons: "minor wind noise"

"In November 2013 I purchased a 2014 RAV4 XLE couldn't be any happier driving and owning this crossover. There are great features with the best electronics in class. Have a navigation system, Pandora and blue tooth capabilities, fit and finish materials well quality built with different modes from eco, drive and sport one for saving gas and other makes a more adequate supple ride. The interior is best overall its comfortable in seating position and love the fold rear headrest as rear seats when added more room. RAV4 handles like a dream its really smooth and ride very solid on greatest drive I be having every time behind the wheel. Its super fast with a 4 cylinder can't tell be driving because its quiet while coasting on highways. Gas mileage is excellent between fill ups getting 25-30 mpg holds fuel so great in this crossover don't have stop at pumps maybe 5 or more weeks later really great on gas took a trip from Ohio to Nevada had 3/4s of fuel left as the gas meter got on 1/2 of tank when passed through Missouri now haven't filled up in two weeks now at 3/1 tank already even been driving so much afterwards. Everything seems to be in working order on my crossover even has great options includes rearview camera and steering wheel controls all the best. Performance is amazing and the visibility just excellent for height I am at 6'2'' really a great crossover worth the money."

Wonderful except for the paint

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Great all around SUV except for the thin paint"

Cons: "Thin paint, chip easily."

"The paint is very thin and the slightest road debris will chip your paint. When it chips you can see how very thin it is. I have started looking at other Toyotas and the hood area on a lot of them have lots of chips in the paint. Thinnest paint on any car I have ever had! Toyota is the best but their paint needs to be better."

i'll never buy another toyota

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "it's no fun when your car tries to kill you"

Cons: "my car tried to kill me"

"i liked my rav4 until it had one of those unintended acceleration events. fortunately it was at low speed and i kept the car under control. the engine was redlining when i turned it off. my dealer and toyota north america treated me more like a criminal than a customer with a mechanical problem, even though there was no damage and no interest in a law suit. they concluded that "most likely i stepped on the brake and gas pedal at the same time. the fact that you cannot step on the brake and push the gas pedal to the floor without a major contortion of the ankle bone didn't enter into their conclusion - i guess they were more concerned about the 1.2 billion dollar Justice Department settlement, the 500 plus lawsuits they are negotiating for a settlement and the 19000 reports of unintended acceleration to the NHTSB, than they were about fixing my car. needless to say, i don't trust toyota or my dealer and the car is up for sale. the dealer service manager did not want to buy it for his kids to drive to college."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next