2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $47,808 - $49,333.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 89 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

I love this car

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "roominess for my family, reclining backseats"

Cons: "tire light, dash rattle, wiper location"

"I love this car and am so happy that I purchased it. I got exactly what I paid for. It is roomy and I find quite comfortable compared to the Honda. The kids love that they can recline the back seats. The amount of room when the seats are folded down is amazing. I have hauled bikes, patio furniture and 6' trees in this car. It has it's quirks. Automatic carwashes are a no-no. The carwash clothes get caught in the lights and roof rack. Also if car wash is high powered the sunroof leaks. The dash is a combo of different things. It developed a terrible rattle but shove a business card in between the cracks and the rattle disappears. One major flaw- the windshield wipers rest below the heating ducts, thus snow and icy days is real hard because the wipers freeze and the windshield is real hard to clear. The wheel light is very sensitive. Mine has been on for 4 months. I gave up going to the dealership and tire shop because I never had a pressure problem. The fluctuation of warm days/cool evenings cause the light to go on. Ignore it. I have listed the main quirks but I still love my car. It fits my family perfectly, handles well in the snow and runs about 23.8 mpg. I wish that was better but I won't complain."

Uncomfortable and Inconvienent

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Reason: uncomfortable

Pros: "turning radius"

Cons: "noisy, uncomfortable, limited storage"

"First off, I have been a loyal Toyota driver for almost 15 years. I Still drive a '96 Tacoma and traded in my 2004 4runner to purchase the 2014 Rav4. I've heard great things about the older Rav4 but I have no experience driving them. This review is for the 2014 Rav4 XLE. My wife and I bought the 2014 Rav4 to get better gas mileage than our 2004 4runner. The initial driving experience was pleasurable. However, after putting 5,000 miles on it we realized it was a bad decision. The 2014 Rav4 has contoured bucket front seats. The extreme contour was pushing my shoulders forward and pushing into my arm/back. After 15-20 min of driving, my right arm and hand began falling asleep. I did not notice this during the test drive and my wife drove the Rav4 the majority of the time. I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination (5'6", 150), so for the seat to be that uncomfortable was unacceptable. We called the dealer to see what our options were and they recommended sitting on a pillow (not very professional, but that's another review). The 2014 Rav4 driving experience was not very pleasant. The road/tire noise is almost deafening, literally. I used a decibel app on my phone and standard highway driving was 87 decibels (hearing damage occurs with prolonged exposure to 90 decibels). As a comparison, the same drive resulted in 77 decibels in a 2014 Highlander and 80 decibels in 2014 Honda CRV). The Rav4 sounds like you're driving on a loose gravel road, very annoying. The lack of storage in the 2014 Rav4 is inexcusable. The center console compartment is tiny, the center console cup holders are inconvenient and only worth holding a phone as tall cups can't fit. There is no sunglasses compartment. The interior is cheap in quality, design, and function. Even though I bought the vehicle brand new, I took a huge hit and traded it in after 3 months/5,000 miles because it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. We ended up buying a 2014 Honda CRV and are much happier."

Less than expected

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Navigation display screen"

"I have been a loyal Toyota owner for about 15 years. I like the new styling but sure miss the power of the V-6 engine, the car seems underpowered. The biggest disappointment is the Entune/Navigation display. During daylight hours the screen is very difficult to see due to glare."

Great Mileage and great design

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room especially in the back seat. Mileage"

Cons: "no complaints"

"Took a first trip got 34.9 miles to the gallon. Around town 27 miles to the gallon. Mileage better than EPA projections. I had an 06 with over 100,000 miles on it.My son now has the car which has been very reliable.I expect the new Rav to be better."

Barely average

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Lots of cargo space"

Cons: "Mediocre safety / crash test ratings, stiff ride"

"I have owned the RAV for about one year. I bought it based on previous experience with Toyota vehicles and a good trade-in offer I got from my dealer for my previous car - my net-out-of-pocket on the RAV was ~$2-3k less than other comparable CUVs. After one year of ownership the best I can rate this car is "average". The only real positive is the amount of cargo and passenger space. In every other area the car falls short, especially comparing to competition. It's noisy, has a very stiff and uncomfortable suspension, safety ratings are mediocre (below key competitors), transmission behavior is strange and disconcerting, mileage is OK but not outstanding. Bottom line - just average, and easily outclassed by other vehicles in the same category."