2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,067 - $49,590.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 83 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Went from Avalon to Rav4 bumpy transition

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "cute, sporty, comfortable"

Cons: "no Home Link little storage only seats 4 gas"

"Rav4 is a great little car reliable and cute. Drove it in all weather situations did great in snow & slush. Took on $10k road trip with husband seeing national parks it was comfortable for the two of us. I am however disappointed in the lack of bells and whistles in the Limited Edition considering the price. There was no Home Link for garage door which we didn't discover until after the purchase, our bad we should have confirmed but it is a Limited for goodness sake! Very very little cabin storage for sunglasses and incidentals. Really only seats 4 humans but seats are comfortable. Gas mileage wasn't as great as promised, I got better gas mileage on my old 6 cylinder 2002 Avalon, that was another bummer to give up power for little to no return. We have to park outside and the windows don't remove water or any condensation when rolling up and down so visibility was an issue until car totally warmed up which was unfortunately usually right about when I arrived at work. This is no problem in summer but if you live in the NW is an issue 9 months of the year it was not fun to get rain in the car & freeze out the kids in the back so I could safely see to turn etc...this and the garage door opener and lack of storage sent me over the edge trading it in for a car that fits me better!! I would recommend car for reliability and comfort but would throw in the above disclaimers."

Very Impressed

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Price, Value, Amazing in snow or ice, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Low interior light illumination"

"First, this is my wife's vehicle which I drive on occasion. My wife had always driven full size SUV or Van, First said she would not even consider this size vehicle. But after the test drive and the redesign, she wanted it. But what impressed me this winter is how this Rav 4 handles in snow and ice. It grips the road like a glove. Have not driven any vehicle ever that made me feel so confident and secure. Amazing! My only fault is the low illumination of the interior lighting."

Fantastic sporty little critter

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

"Just bought a new 2013 Toyota Rav4 and I'm quite satisfied with my decision. My in-laws currently drive a Cr-v, and had us thinking we might go that route as well. After driving the CR-V and Mazda CX-5, the Rav4 seemed to be the best choice, and I couldn't be happier."

Uncomfortable and Inconvienent

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Reason: uncomfortable

Pros: "turning radius"

Cons: "noisy, uncomfortable, limited storage"

"First off, I have been a loyal Toyota driver for almost 15 years. I Still drive a '96 Tacoma and traded in my 2004 4runner to purchase the 2014 Rav4. I've heard great things about the older Rav4 but I have no experience driving them. This review is for the 2014 Rav4 XLE. My wife and I bought the 2014 Rav4 to get better gas mileage than our 2004 4runner. The initial driving experience was pleasurable. However, after putting 5,000 miles on it we realized it was a bad decision. The 2014 Rav4 has contoured bucket front seats. The extreme contour was pushing my shoulders forward and pushing into my arm/back. After 15-20 min of driving, my right arm and hand began falling asleep. I did not notice this during the test drive and my wife drove the Rav4 the majority of the time. I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination (5'6", 150), so for the seat to be that uncomfortable was unacceptable. We called the dealer to see what our options were and they recommended sitting on a pillow (not very professional, but that's another review). The 2014 Rav4 driving experience was not very pleasant. The road/tire noise is almost deafening, literally. I used a decibel app on my phone and standard highway driving was 87 decibels (hearing damage occurs with prolonged exposure to 90 decibels). As a comparison, the same drive resulted in 77 decibels in a 2014 Highlander and 80 decibels in 2014 Honda CRV). The Rav4 sounds like you're driving on a loose gravel road, very annoying. The lack of storage in the 2014 Rav4 is inexcusable. The center console compartment is tiny, the center console cup holders are inconvenient and only worth holding a phone as tall cups can't fit. There is no sunglasses compartment. The interior is cheap in quality, design, and function. Even though I bought the vehicle brand new, I took a huge hit and traded it in after 3 months/5,000 miles because it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. We ended up buying a 2014 Honda CRV and are much happier."

Barely average

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Lots of cargo space"

Cons: "Mediocre safety / crash test ratings, stiff ride"

"I have owned the RAV for about one year. I bought it based on previous experience with Toyota vehicles and a good trade-in offer I got from my dealer for my previous car - my net-out-of-pocket on the RAV was ~$2-3k less than other comparable CUVs. After one year of ownership the best I can rate this car is "average". The only real positive is the amount of cargo and passenger space. In every other area the car falls short, especially comparing to competition. It's noisy, has a very stiff and uncomfortable suspension, safety ratings are mediocre (below key competitors), transmission behavior is strange and disconcerting, mileage is OK but not outstanding. Bottom line - just average, and easily outclassed by other vehicles in the same category."