2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $47,808 - $49,333.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 89 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Went from Avalon to Rav4 bumpy transition

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "cute, sporty, comfortable"

Cons: "no Home Link little storage only seats 4 gas"

"Rav4 is a great little car reliable and cute. Drove it in all weather situations did great in snow & slush. Took on $10k road trip with husband seeing national parks it was comfortable for the two of us. I am however disappointed in the lack of bells and whistles in the Limited Edition considering the price. There was no Home Link for garage door which we didn't discover until after the purchase, our bad we should have confirmed but it is a Limited for goodness sake! Very very little cabin storage for sunglasses and incidentals. Really only seats 4 humans but seats are comfortable. Gas mileage wasn't as great as promised, I got better gas mileage on my old 6 cylinder 2002 Avalon, that was another bummer to give up power for little to no return. We have to park outside and the windows don't remove water or any condensation when rolling up and down so visibility was an issue until car totally warmed up which was unfortunately usually right about when I arrived at work. This is no problem in summer but if you live in the NW is an issue 9 months of the year it was not fun to get rain in the car & freeze out the kids in the back so I could safely see to turn etc...this and the garage door opener and lack of storage sent me over the edge trading it in for a car that fits me better!! I would recommend car for reliability and comfort but would throw in the above disclaimers."

I love this car

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "roominess for my family, reclining backseats"

Cons: "tire light, dash rattle, wiper location"

"I love this car and am so happy that I purchased it. I got exactly what I paid for. It is roomy and I find quite comfortable compared to the Honda. The kids love that they can recline the back seats. The amount of room when the seats are folded down is amazing. I have hauled bikes, patio furniture and 6' trees in this car. It has it's quirks. Automatic carwashes are a no-no. The carwash clothes get caught in the lights and roof rack. Also if car wash is high powered the sunroof leaks. The dash is a combo of different things. It developed a terrible rattle but shove a business card in between the cracks and the rattle disappears. One major flaw- the windshield wipers rest below the heating ducts, thus snow and icy days is real hard because the wipers freeze and the windshield is real hard to clear. The wheel light is very sensitive. Mine has been on for 4 months. I gave up going to the dealership and tire shop because I never had a pressure problem. The fluctuation of warm days/cool evenings cause the light to go on. Ignore it. I have listed the main quirks but I still love my car. It fits my family perfectly, handles well in the snow and runs about 23.8 mpg. I wish that was better but I won't complain."

Uncomfortable and Inconvienent

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Reason: uncomfortable

Pros: "turning radius"

Cons: "noisy, uncomfortable, limited storage"

"First off, I have been a loyal Toyota driver for almost 15 years. I Still drive a '96 Tacoma and traded in my 2004 4runner to purchase the 2014 Rav4. I've heard great things about the older Rav4 but I have no experience driving them. This review is for the 2014 Rav4 XLE. My wife and I bought the 2014 Rav4 to get better gas mileage than our 2004 4runner. The initial driving experience was pleasurable. However, after putting 5,000 miles on it we realized it was a bad decision. The 2014 Rav4 has contoured bucket front seats. The extreme contour was pushing my shoulders forward and pushing into my arm/back. After 15-20 min of driving, my right arm and hand began falling asleep. I did not notice this during the test drive and my wife drove the Rav4 the majority of the time. I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination (5'6", 150), so for the seat to be that uncomfortable was unacceptable. We called the dealer to see what our options were and they recommended sitting on a pillow (not very professional, but that's another review). The 2014 Rav4 driving experience was not very pleasant. The road/tire noise is almost deafening, literally. I used a decibel app on my phone and standard highway driving was 87 decibels (hearing damage occurs with prolonged exposure to 90 decibels). As a comparison, the same drive resulted in 77 decibels in a 2014 Highlander and 80 decibels in 2014 Honda CRV). The Rav4 sounds like you're driving on a loose gravel road, very annoying. The lack of storage in the 2014 Rav4 is inexcusable. The center console compartment is tiny, the center console cup holders are inconvenient and only worth holding a phone as tall cups can't fit. There is no sunglasses compartment. The interior is cheap in quality, design, and function. Even though I bought the vehicle brand new, I took a huge hit and traded it in after 3 months/5,000 miles because it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. We ended up buying a 2014 Honda CRV and are much happier."

Less than expected

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Navigation display screen"

"I have been a loyal Toyota owner for about 15 years. I like the new styling but sure miss the power of the V-6 engine, the car seems underpowered. The biggest disappointment is the Entune/Navigation display. During daylight hours the screen is very difficult to see due to glare."

Great Mileage and great design

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room especially in the back seat. Mileage"

Cons: "no complaints"

"Took a first trip got 34.9 miles to the gallon. Around town 27 miles to the gallon. Mileage better than EPA projections. I had an 06 with over 100,000 miles on it.My son now has the car which has been very reliable.I expect the new Rav to be better."

Barely average

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Lots of cargo space"

Cons: "Mediocre safety / crash test ratings, stiff ride"

"I have owned the RAV for about one year. I bought it based on previous experience with Toyota vehicles and a good trade-in offer I got from my dealer for my previous car - my net-out-of-pocket on the RAV was ~$2-3k less than other comparable CUVs. After one year of ownership the best I can rate this car is "average". The only real positive is the amount of cargo and passenger space. In every other area the car falls short, especially comparing to competition. It's noisy, has a very stiff and uncomfortable suspension, safety ratings are mediocre (below key competitors), transmission behavior is strange and disconcerting, mileage is OK but not outstanding. Bottom line - just average, and easily outclassed by other vehicles in the same category."

Great upgrade from my 1996 RAV4 (280k miles)

By on Sunday, May 05, 2013

Pros: "Great value & great base appontments on LE model"

Cons: "Dealer "scare sell" on Extended Warranty Program"

"Second update to KBB. Only issue was what product to corrosion proof the RAV4. Northeast Ohio roads use salt, brine & sand for winter safety. Toyota would not give the writer the factory specs on corrosion proofing materials and systems applied to the vehicle. Plan is to keep this RAV4 for at least 300k miles. Researched the corrosion proofing marketlace and hands down winner was Krown (Canadian based firm). Drove 188 miles to southwest Ohio get the Krown product applied. Time will tell on the effectivness and it will be way past these reviews. Ziebart was at the bottom of the list (past BAD experience). Bottom line: If you are in a harsh road or air environment, protect the vehicle from being a rust bucket. Note the pic: Changed out the LE's OEM steel rims & tires to black alloy spokes & 80k Cooper's on this Spruce Mica colored ride."

Good Value & Reliability

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, well-built, good exterior styling"

Cons: "no backseat USB or power outlet, odd dash layout"

"I owned other crossovers from other manufacturers before I bought my first RAV4. After owning it for a year, this car feels the same as the day I drove it off the lot and I have had absolutely no issues with it. It handled amazingly in the rough winter we had and I felt confident driving it. The cabin is quiet but some of the feature switches are in odd locations and obstructed by the steering wheel. The interior is sturdy and simply designed but I do miss some conveniences like a backseat USB or power outlet and more console storage like I had in my previous crossovers."

Very happy with my choice

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, spacious, luxurious looking"

Cons: "Miss the 6 cylinder feel ..this engine is ok"

"I have had several Toyotas..most recently a Camry ..132,00 miles and still running so i was looking at a car without the pressure of needing a new car..I have not purchased a brand new car in many years so buying a brand new one was different. I have wanted a small sized SUV but was considering a Nissan Rogue because i did not like the old body of the RAV4..Happily,Toyota changed the body image of the 2013..I was going to get the XLE but fell in love with the LTD because of the updgrades..including leather seats,heated seats...I am glad I made this choice..we took this car on our vacation to Williamsburg, Va and it was a pleasure."

Disappointed

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, good looks, safety"

Cons: "squeaks, tire pressure monitor system, rough ride"

"I have owned this 2013 RAV4 for 9 months. The dashboard creaks at highway speeds and is really annoying. The tire pressure monitoring system has no interface to the center unit and has no reset. The owner's manual talks of a reset under the dash next to the steering column, but it doesn't exist. The manual also talks about pushing the "CAR" button on the center unit to get tire pressures, but that doesn't exist, either. I called Toyota about these deficiencies, and they said the tire pressure monitor that was reflected in my owner's manual was the kind they had in the 2012 model. They discontinued it with the 2012 model because it did not work right. The least they could have done was to remove it from the owner's manual. This limited edition rides rather rough due to the 18" wheels. I have owned a 2005 RAV4 since it was new, it now has over 145,000 miles on it, and I never had any difficulties like this on the 05 RAV4. I would like to give this one back to Toyota. It looks great with the pearl white paint and grey interior, but the overall driving experience is not what I expected from Toyota. The navigation system is impossible to see in the daylight due to the glare, and really difficult to understand it when you first get the vehicle. I finally figured it out after about 8 months of fiddling with it. Overall, this car is totally functional, but a great disappointment to a long time Toyota Rav4 owner."

A great car - exceeds my expectations

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Priced well; fun to drive."

Cons: "Wish blindspot was offered on the XLE."

"I've owned Toyotas for years and my past three cars have been iterations of the RAV-4. I was excited that the newest version has the rear liftgate instead of the gate that opens like a door. So much more convenient. I wasn't sure I liked that Toyota went away from the V6 but I was very surprised by the pep of the 4 cylinder they offer now. Getting to highway speed has never been a problem and I love getting 30 MPG!!"

Get much better value with Honda.

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Sound and HVAC systems; handling and ride; economy"

Cons: "Poor display visibility, cumbersome navigation sys"

"In 50 years of driving 15 vehicles from 5 manufacturers, this is the first vehicle I've owned that has no light on the instrument panel during daylight hours when it is needed most. The navigation system is cumbersome at best and is not compatible with the Apple iOS operating system. Furthermore, it is positioned where it is subject to direct sunlight with nothing to shade the screen. The driver's seat will not go back far enough to accommodate anyone taller than 5'10". The interior appointments are cheap, and I had to buy the XLE just to get map lights, which are not standard on the XL. Honda offers much better value. On the other hand, the vehicle is very comfortable on long trips, gets good gas mileage and has good performance for a 4-cylinder vehicle. The 6-speed transmission is smooth, but I can't understand the utility of having both manual and automatic transmissions. The dual control HVAC system is very convenient and comfortable, and the sound system is excellent with HD radio. For its size, the cargo space is adequate."

decent little SUV - not particularly exciting

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "good quality, comfort, and reliability"

Cons: "lacking power and suspension can feel harsh"

"I was spoiled driving my 2007 V6 RAV4. It was peppy and a true joy to drive. This new one in comparison is still quite comfortable with good driving position, good climate control, and has less roll in cornering. The new 2013 suspension also gives a harsh ride if the pavement is rough in the least. The new 13 RAV is not peppy in comparison to the old 7-12 V6 RAV. The new four cylinder engine does not have enough power to make use of the tallest gear at normal highway speeds, which also denies you the advertised 30 mpg at normal speeds, that is, unless you keep it below 65mph or have a strong tail-wind."

Love, Love, Love It!!!

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "XLE offers more in the base package than competion"

Cons: "Not found any yet."

"Bought 2013 XLE 2WD on 6/24/13. Had the most bang for the buck.Only up grade was leather seats ("soft tech" which is not really leather but it looks good). Did not order sealant but vehicle came with it.Dealer did not add cost since I specifically stated I did not want when order placed. It is very compact but works well for us. My husband is 6' 2" and I am 5' 11". Ordered black w/beige interior. Capet is black so shows any thing light (sand, grass). Floor mats while attractive to look at are flimsy for what they cost ($299.00). I am looking for a more durable set to place on top but do not want all vinyl which limits my choices. May order a replacement set to have on hand from non Toyota vendor to cut cost. Salesman was outstanding - professional but friendly, well trained by Toyota. Showed me how everything works and added my cell to bluetooth. The dealership - Legacy Toyota, Tallahassee FL - has been the greatest.!! This is my first Toyota. Usually buy Honda or Nissan. Test drove CRV and Rogue as well as Mazda CX5. RAV4 was more stylish and fun to drive."

Excellent value and great looks

By on Thursday, July 09, 2015

"This is my fourth Toyota and second new one, and this is a keeper :). I have been trying to find the best model for a small family and not too big and the new Rav4 fits perfectly for us. I chose the limited edition for the looks, AWD and interior. I chose the blizzard pearl with black alloys and often people comment on the looks of the car. Drives nicely and as always reliable. Only gripe is speakers are not as good as you would expect in a limited edition. (My 2011 Prius 3 has JBL while 2015 Rav4 limited edition has standard speakers)"

Best car ever

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Great quality, great price"

"This car has been so amazing for our family. Totally worth the money for a quality vehicle. It's only a 4 cylinder, but is surprisingly peppy. It speeds up very quick and is such a smooth ride. We took it down to the beach and got stuck in the sand, we put it into Sport mode and we got right out. I'm very impressed with this vehicle and will probably keep it until it dies."

Roseville Automall in California, RAV4 over others

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Power, Suspension, Cargo, Reliable"

Cons: "Towing only 1500lbs, No HID lights. No LED DRL."

"I own this car after looking at all, and i mean all compact SUV vehicles. Took me 13 auto-mall hrs to choose and this Rav4 was the most powerful 4cyl engine I ever drove. A way to test drive was freeway on-ramp with 4 adults taking two salesmen on the ride. If the car you driving cant pick up to speed to get on freeway like a small powerful car then you will waste your time or have that sluggish takeoff. Roads are not getting safer and a car this size that cant accelerate in a case of an emergency can make a huge difference. Gas mileage was amazing and the ride height is at average level, safer. The vehicle downside to my needs was the low towing capacity going from a 3500lbs tow to 1500lbs on the redesigned model. No V6 engine so that forces you to upgrade to highlander if needed. No more 7 seat but that only gives you the room this small SUV should of had from day one. Materials inside are moderate to high grade. Seats are amazingly comfy with no issues. The rear seats recline enough to seriously take a nap. The vehicle is waaaay too quiet but that is a good thing. The suspension on this car feels too soft but it was very responsive and almost air ride quality. The blue crush color is the sporty looking of the Rav4. I have to say that this is one of the best cars I have ever owned in my life. Toyota seriously kicked some butt with this model and year. Test drive one and be amazed for yourself."

This could have been a great suv BUT FOR ONE THING

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "overall styling, reliability, resale,"

Cons: "HARSH RIDE.."

"First, i am a toyota fan. I have owned a 4runner, Solara, etc. I wanted a vehicle that was good on gas, reliable, had the necessary power, good in foul weather here in mass., and all the attributes that makes Toyota famous. They did all of this on the new RAV4 with the exception of the ride. I drive in the city and there is lots of construction going on. The 4runner i owned handled it with no problem. My girlfriend's 2010 rav4 handles it with no problem. My neighbors 2012 honda crv 12 handles the rough surface, no problem....but not this rav4. Did someone at toyota actually drive this vehicle in real world situations? It is really harsh and just not on these kinds of roads. Any change in the surface....YOU WILL FEEL IT and like a recent review in one of the car mags said, "it is annoying". I tried reducing the tire pressure 5 pounds to no avail...i ended up buying a seat cushion and that least makes the ride tolerable. i leased this vehicle and you can tell that i will be giving this unit back...if i could do it again, i would not. So before you purchase this vehicle, drive on some rough surfaces and if you can tolerate the hard sounds and ride....i can't give this vehicle any other negatives but the ride is the dealbreaker."

Great car for the price, low maintenance , decent

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "price and reliability, low maintenance"

Cons: "interior, awful to clean..."

"I liked the old style rear door much better, side opening, I do not like the black interior, everything shows and sticks, hard to clean."

sits on the road excellent cornering love love my

By on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pros: "great price , fun to drive, lots of leg room"

"Have no regrets buying this Rav4. Handles very well and overall excellent drivng experience!!"

Quality great

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "fun.looks good.drives at."

Cons: "backup screen difficult to see."

"Great value. Great looks. Top quality. Traded in an inferior 2013 Hyundai. Toyota is the topauto mfg.."

Limited does not mean all the goodies.

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, fuel efficient, safety features"

Cons: "Missing a few nice to have features."

"I purchased the 2014 Rav4 AWD Limited about 3 weeks ago. This vehicle was to replace a 2006 Toyota Sequoia. Granted there is no comparison between the two SUVs other than they are both Toyota and both Limited models. While the new Rav4 is great, I too noticed a small list of features that were missing. Here are a few observations. As mentioned in other reviews, there is no sunglasses compartment and no power port in the arm rest. No home link for the garage doors. Door pocket storage is very limited. Finally, perhaps the most glaring short-coming is the the passenger seat is leather and heated, but not power! Come on Toyota my 2006 had all had all of this because it was the Limited model. I purchased the most fully equipped 2014 Rav4 I could find, however Toyota failed to provide these small, but meaningful features. Okay now some of the good stuff. The handling is great and the fuel economy is as stated, maybe a little better, time will tell. I opted for a model with the "Technology Package" which includes the standard rear-view camera, rear cross traffic alert detection, bind spot monitoring and alerts, lane departure alert system and automatic high-beams. This is really helpful because it helps keep you more aware of traffic and people around you. I also purchased an aftermarket receiver hitch which was so easy to install because Toyota provides the threaded weld nuts in the frame. (Toyota wanted 3X the price for their hitch, buy aftermarket and install yourself). The Nav system is good,but I would like a the screen to be larger. Finally the JBL sound system is very nice, not Bose, but very nice. Overall, I really like this Rav4 and look forward to keeping it for at least a decade."

sporty mileage

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

"This car was rated @ 27 mpg. But so far my best is 34mpg. A reassurance that not all estimates are accurate For a SUV its ride is smooth and the features it has are better than expected. With the 2 yr. free maintenance program, I am worry free The 4 cyl. engine has a lot of power and is quick in response. Cargo area is adequate for the vehicles size."

Great car

By on Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pros: "Great car on ice covered roads . Very nice seats"

"I drove this car on a 2500 mile trip got 29 to 31 miles to a gallon ! Great road car quite and fun to drive. Comfortable seats ."

Think about this purchase

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage is great"

Cons: "must take your eyes off road to use sport mode"

"We got a great deal on this car. We went from a Honda Pilot EXL to this Pearl white RAV 4 Limited. This car bounces down the road on Bridgestone Duellers. It is horrible in the snow. HORRIBLE. We feel every bump...all of them. 2 cupholders in front, road noise especially in the rear seat. Now we're getting a plastic on plastic rattle in the dash near the radio. The interior looks cheap because of all the plastic. The steering wheel is smaller giving a larger appearance inside. If you want to use sport mode, you need to take your eyes off the road. Not cool. The rear gate lift button is somewhat hidden by the steering wheel. The only time I like this car is at the gas pump. It gets great gas mileage and the exterior is pretty. But I'm getting rid of this car ASAP. I can't take it anymore. Its a great one person car."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next