• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,327 - $49,372.

10/6.9

8.2

Based on 59 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

The 2013 Rav4 XLE is an excellent overall value.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

"I had a mini van and really didn't like the image. The kids are in high school now, so having a back seat with good head room was important. Also important was a big space in back for groceries, easy to park, easy to back up, easy to get in and out of, good gas mileage, easy to drive overall and affordable (no higher than the mid $20,000 range). The RAV4 does all those things very well. I only considered Toyota, Honda and Mazda models because of ther reputations for quality. NOTHING wears off that new car feeling quicker than when there are problems with it. I looked at the Mazda CX5 and thought the car was excellent except the power was not real good for getting on to the freeway and I felt I was sitting kind of low or closed in inside. The CRV is a great car, but nothing really stood out for a wow factor, seeming kind of plain compared to the RAV4. I'm completely happy with my RAV4. Very satisfied. The only things I would caution about are the options that really hike up the price quickly and aren't all that necessary; and secondly, the pressure at the dealer when you're forced to sit there, listening to an extended sales pitch for all the over priced stuff they want to sell, like an alarm, interior protection, paint protection, pre-paid warranty service and on and on. Be wary of the delears out there and choose wisely. The final thing that pushed me over the edge to choose Toyota was the Service Department: how well they treat you for the service, offering free rides home or to work and being open all day on Saturday's. These things are important to me, because I will be paying on my car for the next 48 months."

Better than expected

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfortable inter., sport & eco modes"

Cons: "Limited passenger storage."

"The family was looking to down size vehicles and also improve gas mileage. So we looked in the small SUV category at all options- Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda 5, Chevy Equinox, etc. Although all have them had certain features we liked and it was a tough decision, the new RAV4 overall was the best quality, options and new style that fit for us. The value for the options we were looking for led us to the XLE model. We have had the vehicle now for more than a month and it has been even better than expected. The ride and comfort are very good for a small vehicle. There is plenty of leg room even when there are four or five people. Back seats recline which makes the difference so you get a feeling of more space. Gas mileage has been great coming from a large SUV. Overall it has been a very good vehicle."

So Far So Good

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Great value, good MPG, ample cargo space"

Cons: "Backseat a wee bit tight for my long-legged son"

"I had a 1998 Rav4 which I loved. We also have a 2004 Sequoia 230k+ miles on it and still going strong. Of all the brands we've owned, can't beat Toyota quality and reliability. The 2013 Rav4 XLE is comfortable, quiet and even in my urban errand-running mode, gets good gas mileage. Can't say I miss the side-swinging back door, but getting rid of the rear-mounted tire was a huge plus. My last Rav was totaled by a relatively minor rear-end collision. Frame bent by that tire taking the hit. :( This is a great car for those who like simplicity and appreciate that complexity means more things to go wrong. The upgrades give you a few new bells and whistles without computerizing unnecessarily. So far so good.... 300,000 miles to go!!"

Love it!

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, good price for options,"

Cons: "Some road noise"

"I've had my 2013 RAV4 XLE for about a month and so far, I absolutely love it. MPG is great-- I've taken it on a trip and averaged 31 highway MPG at 70-75mph (Texas speed limits). I like the Eco Mode/Sport option- I switch pretty regularly between them as I'm merging on the highway or driving through town. I've taken a lot of people in the car and everyone seems to have room whether they are in the passenger seat or back seat. There is a little more road noise than the Mazda CX-5, but I selected the RAV4 for price (I got it cheaper than the Mazda CX-5 Touring), comfort, and proven reliability/reputation."

Great small SUV with plenty of room

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "Ipod, bluetooth audio, smooth ride"

Cons: "No automatic headlight feature."

"I read several reviews on the 2013 Rav4 and checked out many other SUV's from this class. We previously owned a 2007 BMW 328xi, but with a new child it was becoming difficult to get my daughter in and out of the vehicle. Not to mention my wife had to move her seat completely forward to get the car seat to fit correctly. Now for the actual review. I was initally impressed with the new design of the exterior. I never liked the previous RAV4's because they did not up to date to me and the tire on the back was outdated. The new exterior caught my eye along with the Shoreline Blue color of the vehicle I have. This vehicle has plently of get up and go for a 4 cyl/AWD. The interior is also roomier that I expected. With the driver seat all the way back, I could still sit behind myself without an issue, and I am 6'3". My daughter's car seat fits great behind the front passenger seat even facing to the rear. The front seat needed no adjustment. I found this vehicle to be well priced as well. I have the XLE. The backup camera is fantastic as well as the IPod intergration and bluetooth audio. This RAV4 rides very smooth with a little bit more road noise than I wanted from the Michelin tires it came with. Even with an all-wheel drive, I have still managed to get 33 MPG on the highway in ECO mode. Overall, we are very please with the purchase. I have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited which I absolutely love. This is a great addition to my family."