• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,012 - $49,159.

10/6.9

8.2

Based on 60 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

The 2013 Rav4 XLE is an excellent overall value.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

"I had a mini van and really didn't like the image. The kids are in high school now, so having a back seat with good head room was important. Also important was a big space in back for groceries, easy to park, easy to back up, easy to get in and out of, good gas mileage, easy to drive overall and affordable (no higher than the mid $20,000 range). The RAV4 does all those things very well. I only considered Toyota, Honda and Mazda models because of ther reputations for quality. NOTHING wears off that new car feeling quicker than when there are problems with it. I looked at the Mazda CX5 and thought the car was excellent except the power was not real good for getting on to the freeway and I felt I was sitting kind of low or closed in inside. The CRV is a great car, but nothing really stood out for a wow factor, seeming kind of plain compared to the RAV4. I'm completely happy with my RAV4. Very satisfied. The only things I would caution about are the options that really hike up the price quickly and aren't all that necessary; and secondly, the pressure at the dealer when you're forced to sit there, listening to an extended sales pitch for all the over priced stuff they want to sell, like an alarm, interior protection, paint protection, pre-paid warranty service and on and on. Be wary of the delears out there and choose wisely. The final thing that pushed me over the edge to choose Toyota was the Service Department: how well they treat you for the service, offering free rides home or to work and being open all day on Saturday's. These things are important to me, because I will be paying on my car for the next 48 months."

Better than expected

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfortable inter., sport & eco modes"

Cons: "Limited passenger storage."

"The family was looking to down size vehicles and also improve gas mileage. So we looked in the small SUV category at all options- Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda 5, Chevy Equinox, etc. Although all have them had certain features we liked and it was a tough decision, the new RAV4 overall was the best quality, options and new style that fit for us. The value for the options we were looking for led us to the XLE model. We have had the vehicle now for more than a month and it has been even better than expected. The ride and comfort are very good for a small vehicle. There is plenty of leg room even when there are four or five people. Back seats recline which makes the difference so you get a feeling of more space. Gas mileage has been great coming from a large SUV. Overall it has been a very good vehicle."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, good price for options,"

Cons: "Some road noise"

"I've had my 2013 RAV4 XLE for about a month and so far, I absolutely love it. MPG is great-- I've taken it on a trip and averaged 31 highway MPG at 70-75mph (Texas speed limits). I like the Eco Mode/Sport option- I switch pretty regularly between them as I'm merging on the highway or driving through town. I've taken a lot of people in the car and everyone seems to have room whether they are in the passenger seat or back seat. There is a little more road noise than the Mazda CX-5, but I selected the RAV4 for price (I got it cheaper than the Mazda CX-5 Touring), comfort, and proven reliability/reputation."

Great small SUV with plenty of room

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "Ipod, bluetooth audio, smooth ride"

Cons: "No automatic headlight feature."

"I read several reviews on the 2013 Rav4 and checked out many other SUV's from this class. We previously owned a 2007 BMW 328xi, but with a new child it was becoming difficult to get my daughter in and out of the vehicle. Not to mention my wife had to move her seat completely forward to get the car seat to fit correctly. Now for the actual review. I was initally impressed with the new design of the exterior. I never liked the previous RAV4's because they did not up to date to me and the tire on the back was outdated. The new exterior caught my eye along with the Shoreline Blue color of the vehicle I have. This vehicle has plently of get up and go for a 4 cyl/AWD. The interior is also roomier that I expected. With the driver seat all the way back, I could still sit behind myself without an issue, and I am 6'3". My daughter's car seat fits great behind the front passenger seat even facing to the rear. The front seat needed no adjustment. I found this vehicle to be well priced as well. I have the XLE. The backup camera is fantastic as well as the IPod intergration and bluetooth audio. This RAV4 rides very smooth with a little bit more road noise than I wanted from the Michelin tires it came with. Even with an all-wheel drive, I have still managed to get 33 MPG on the highway in ECO mode. Overall, we are very please with the purchase. I have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited which I absolutely love. This is a great addition to my family."

One Sweet SUV!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, and tons of amenities."

Cons: "Wimpy Horn (only negative I could think of)"

"I'm one of those people that need to research everything to the nth degree before I purchase. I researched and test drove many small SUV's....... For the price, features, ride quality, performance, and overall bang for the buck you can't beat the newly designed 2013 RAV4. I honestly could not be happier with my purchase and absolutely enjoy driving this vehicle. The XLE trim level has the most bang for the buck with many standard features you'd have to either pay more for or purchase the top trim level to get it in other SUV's. Completely happy with purchase.....you can't go wrong with the 2013 RAV4!"

One of the best in its class

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Blind spot assist, reclinable back seats"

"I bought this car couple of weeks ago. Its a AWD Limited. I live in Denver and I drove it in snow and on the mountains and it did amazingly well. It did not make lot of noise while climbing the mountains.It was smooth compared to other SUV's in its class(I drove rouge and CR-V before). I never touch my key as I have keyless entry option. JBL sound system is awesome. Toyota Entune gives more options(Bing, Pandora, sports, weather..) for you if you have a smart phone. It has enough leg room in the front and back rows. The auto lift tail gate, blind spot and keyless entry are awesome. Recline able rear seats are very comfortable. I like the new sharp looks of the RAV4. If you can compromise on some features like Blind spot assist, Softex imitation leather seats(not real leather), Auto lift tail gate and Key less entry go with XLE and save some $$'s. I am very happy with my Rav4."

So Far So Good

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Great value, good MPG, ample cargo space"

Cons: "Backseat a wee bit tight for my long-legged son"

"I had a 1998 Rav4 which I loved. We also have a 2004 Sequoia 230k+ miles on it and still going strong. Of all the brands we've owned, can't beat Toyota quality and reliability. The 2013 Rav4 XLE is comfortable, quiet and even in my urban errand-running mode, gets good gas mileage. Can't say I miss the side-swinging back door, but getting rid of the rear-mounted tire was a huge plus. My last Rav was totaled by a relatively minor rear-end collision. Frame bent by that tire taking the hit. :( This is a great car for those who like simplicity and appreciate that complexity means more things to go wrong. The upgrades give you a few new bells and whistles without computerizing unnecessarily. So far so good.... 300,000 miles to go!!"

4 Months on the road...still love it!

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Pros: "Sharp Looks, Handling, Seat Comfort, Very Roomy"

Cons: "Check your tires air pressure"

"Purchased my 2013 Rav4 Limited with BSM, and I couldn't be happier. I also looked at the CX5, Rogue, and the Forester. The Rav looked the sharpest standing still as well as inside the car. I really don't miss my old 6 cyclinder Rav. Pickup is sufficient, better when it's in Sport Mode. Mileage is good, not great, but then again it's the same with the other mini suv's I looked at. Noticed some reviewers said their ride was harsh. My advice is to check your air pressure in each tire. When delivered I noticed how harsh my ride was. Found out each tire was over inflated 45-50 psi. Once I took each tire down to 32 psi, ride became much smoother even on the 18" Limited tires. Other than that am glad I bought the Rav with no regrets. Had my last Rav for 6 years with no issues at all, so reliability is important to me."

Best crossover ever

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "grear price, fun to drive, great fuel efficiency"

Cons: "many features on the XLE are operated manually"

"My family was looking for a compact crossover, and we were choosing between this Rav4 and CR-V. Finally, we bought the Rav4 XLE AWD. I really like this vehicle because it also has the navigation system. Driving the Rav4 is really enjoyable."

Highlander to Rav and no regrets

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Push button start, interior layout"

Cons: "No XM on Limited w/o Nav upgrade (unreal)"

"I have only had this car for three months and just 3,000 miles, but I traded in a 2012 Highlander SE AWD for the 2013 Rav4 Limited AWD. No. 1 reason was gas mileage and they basically traded the same amount. Good little car. Definitely lacks the power but I didn't buy it for power, bought it for better gas mileage, Highlander was a bit of a guzzler. A lot of my driving is highway or at least 60/40, and I so far so good with the Rav4. Averaging around 23-24, but it has also been bitter cold (not above 0 for weeks at a time), and that keeps me closer to 22-23. High tank was 26. My biggest complaint is that I declined the Nav-speaker package and by doing so, without knowing so (my salesperson was misinformed) killed my ability to get XM through the touchsceen. Car does NOT come with it unless you drop the whatever over a grand for the nav and speakers which I wasn't interested in. Not sure what Toyota was thinking -- my bare bones Saturn Vue from 2008 had XM. Otherwise, features are great. Push button start and access to the car is hugely helpful, power lift gate is great, just like the Highlander, bluetooth works just fine. Two complaints, like I said, so far is the power, which I KNEW, and the XM, which I did NOT. But no regrets. Has handled just fine in the snow as well. We also own a loaded 2012 CRV, and I love Honda. Rav4 is quieter for sure, CRV appears bigger from inside but specs says it isn't so. Can't really go wrong with either of them, but I like the Toyota dash better and has a few more features (push start, power lift gate) CRV doesn't yet have."

Lifelong Honda Guy Converts to Toyota!

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "Fit and Finish, Styling, Power"

Cons: "Heavy Steering, Audio for USB media clunky"

"I have owned the 2007 CR-V and every iteration of Civic/Accord/Pilot/Fit/Integra Honda-Acura since the 90s. I'm a through and through Honda guy. We naturally wanted the new 2013 CR-V to replace our Acura RDX which was a gas monster but Honda has really cheapened this car. Honda has really lost its way. Things about this RAV-4 that stand out: 1- Great interior room...bigger than the CR-V 2- Great interior fit...even the XLE comes with a rear view camera, strong A/C climate control and nicely stiched dash cover. Honda needs to take a lesson here on how not to make a car look cheap 3- Great looks...very aggressive and classy compared to the doughboy round look of older RAV-4s 4- Great engine pickup...for a 4 cylinder this is very nice and the fly by wire throtle response is good 5- Not so good...heavy steering...not sure why this is but parking lot turning is heavy 6- Audio seems a little touchy with USB memory keys and the song name (MP3 track info field) doesn't display (only shows the file name which is too long and gest truncated) 7- "J" car...this car is bolted in Japan which usually means very high quality and care in fit and finish Finance Note - Toyota Finance does not include gap insurance on leases and you need to pay an extra $15+ for it per month...Honda Finance has included this for free for a long time and it is very important to get this."

Great Crossover

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "reliabile, economical, safe, great value."

"The new RAV4 Limited with all wheel drive is a superior value and great all around vehicle. I have recently owned Audi and BMW products, Jeeps and numerous four wheel drive vehicles and NONE of them perform as well as the AWD in the RAV4. In the worst snow and ice conditions in Idaho in 20 years this car was a dream to drive. Beyond driving in bad conditions the RAV4 is an enjoyable all around vehicle. The ride is a little stiff and road noise is average - the JBL premium sound system is superior and the safety and comfort features are abundant. Best of all, value. Depreciation is minimal on this car with reliability, economy and safety ranked at the top. Definitely recommend!"

great economy vehicle

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "great price, fuel economy, jbl stereo"

Cons: "slightly harsh ride on rough roads"

"this is my second Rav4 and third toyota all together, I've owned Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, and several other domestic vehicles as well and I think for the money you can't go wrong with a toyota, I drive roughly 3000 miles a month so I spend a great deal of time in my car and I never feel driving fatigue from long trips and my Rav4 is great in the harsh Pennsylvania winters. I have 39700 miles in just over a year of ownership and aside from oil changes and tire rotations my car has not been in the shop at all. The ride is a little harsh on rough roads but what most people fail to realize is that the Rav4 is not a luxury SUV its an economy SUV with nice features added on for convenience so if you want an SUV that rides on a cloud go drop $80k+ on an Escalade that will never outlast a toyota."

Uncomfortable and Inconvienent

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Reason: uncomfortable

Pros: "turning radius"

Cons: "noisy, uncomfortable, limited storage"

"First off, I have been a loyal Toyota driver for almost 15 years. I Still drive a '96 Tacoma and traded in my 2004 4runner to purchase the 2014 Rav4. I've heard great things about the older Rav4 but I have no experience driving them. This review is for the 2014 Rav4 XLE. My wife and I bought the 2014 Rav4 to get better gas mileage than our 2004 4runner. The initial driving experience was pleasurable. However, after putting 5,000 miles on it we realized it was a bad decision. The 2014 Rav4 has contoured bucket front seats. The extreme contour was pushing my shoulders forward and pushing into my arm/back. After 15-20 min of driving, my right arm and hand began falling asleep. I did not notice this during the test drive and my wife drove the Rav4 the majority of the time. I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination (5'6", 150), so for the seat to be that uncomfortable was unacceptable. We called the dealer to see what our options were and they recommended sitting on a pillow (not very professional, but that's another review). The 2014 Rav4 driving experience was not very pleasant. The road/tire noise is almost deafening, literally. I used a decibel app on my phone and standard highway driving was 87 decibels (hearing damage occurs with prolonged exposure to 90 decibels). As a comparison, the same drive resulted in 77 decibels in a 2014 Highlander and 80 decibels in 2014 Honda CRV). The Rav4 sounds like you're driving on a loose gravel road, very annoying. The lack of storage in the 2014 Rav4 is inexcusable. The center console compartment is tiny, the center console cup holders are inconvenient and only worth holding a phone as tall cups can't fit. There is no sunglasses compartment. The interior is cheap in quality, design, and function. Even though I bought the vehicle brand new, I took a huge hit and traded it in after 3 months/5,000 miles because it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. We ended up buying a 2014 Honda CRV and are much happier."

Better than expected

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "Great style, bigger, good engine/trans"

Cons: "figuring out electronics"

"After having listened to my wife for 5 years wanting an SUV crossover, I finally gave in and after a lot of reading and reviewing and looking, I purchased a RAV4 Limited AWD. The car has every option, many I still haven't touched. I have owned it about 2 weeks and have put nearly 3000 miles on the car. I must say, the RAV4 drives great. The engine has enough power to accelerate although it would never be considered fast. I really liked the 2013 styling and never would have even considered the previous designs with the trunk spare tire thing. I have averaged 25.4 MPG in my use which had been mainly Interstates in moderate mountains. Since I do tend to speed, I'm happy. I suppose at the limit this car would pull down 30 easily."

Less than expected

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Reliability"

Cons: "Navigation display screen"

"I have been a loyal Toyota owner for about 15 years. I like the new styling but sure miss the power of the V-6 engine, the car seems underpowered. The biggest disappointment is the Entune/Navigation display. During daylight hours the screen is very difficult to see due to glare."

The best SUV I have ever owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Fair Price, great options and fun to drive."

Cons: "Would prefer real leather to the syn leather."

"I purchased the Limited with the BSM (blind spot monitor). This vehicle has all of the options that you would expect on a more expensive vehicle. Handling is very good and the 2.5 liter engine has plenty of pep. Good room in the rear. The power liftgate is great."

Great SUV

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"I have had the 2013 toyota rav4 for 3 months and like how is handles overall. It handled great in the snow (one foot) going up a steep hill. Also great MPGs I get around 24 MPGs on average driving both city and highway."

Perfect blend of features

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow, fun to drive, lots of space"

Cons: "rear cargo power outlet, glare on radio screen"

Snow Day!

"I've owned my 2013 Rav4 XLE AWD for 2 months now and have absolutely no complaints. The Rav4 handles great in the snow & slush on the stock Michelin tires. There is plenty of power from the 2.5L 4cyl engine to merge onto the interstate and easily cruises along at 80 mph-I really don't need to go any faster. I suggest using Sport mode for city driving or in stop & go highway congestion. The interior is quiet, ride is firm and I haven't any of the creaks or rattles others have complained about-those may be unique to that owners vehicle. The controls on steering wheel for the radio & BT phone interface are well placed & easy to use. I test drove several other CUVs prior to purchasing- and decided on the Rav4 due to comfort of the seat (I drive a lot), exterior styling, cargo space and fuel economy (avg 27.9 on trip computer). Could use a cargo area power outlet."

Snow Day!

Very Impressed

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Price, Value, Amazing in snow or ice, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Low interior light illumination"

"First, this is my wife's vehicle which I drive on occasion. My wife had always driven full size SUV or Van, First said she would not even consider this size vehicle. But after the test drive and the redesign, she wanted it. But what impressed me this winter is how this Rav 4 handles in snow and ice. It grips the road like a glove. Have not driven any vehicle ever that made me feel so confident and secure. Amazing! My only fault is the low illumination of the interior lighting."

Limited Edition-AWD-worth every buck

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "Price, Music quality, blind spot, rear view camera"

Cons: "heated steering wheel, memory passenger seat"

"For the price, I haggled for this car along with a year additional of Dealer Services, the luxury and experience of Limited Edition is phenomenally great deal. Leg room for rear passengers is very good. Comes with all the bell n whistles like blindspot monitor, rear view camera, driver seat has memory feature etc."

Perfect for my needs

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great Price and Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Adjustable Lift Door should be Standard Equipment"

"I am retired disabled veteran and I have a hard time getting in and out of vehicles - but not with this vehicle. I also have issues with backing up, yet this vehicle offers a good size back up camera that helps out with that. NOW - I love driving this vehicle - the mileage is great! It has a comfortable , smooth ride. There's plenty of room for the back seat riders. It comes with a 2 year/25K mile maintenance. We looked at other similar models, (GM and Honda) and are glad we purchased this one. You won't be disappointed (at least we're not)."

Drives like a dream

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Has all that we need and then some"

Cons: "NAV glare, dash fixtures such as light are on."

"We have had the RAV 13, for 2 weeks, with no issues what so ever, TOYOTA quality is top notch no issues, if there was one TOYOTA would take car of it, hassle free. And yes the rid is a little rough, my 2012 CR-V does have a smoother ride, but the tires are 18inch, Some of the functions as with the older yrs are not present such as auto healights, have to make the adjustment, no indicator stating the lights are on, dash has no light for instrument panel. But overall vehicle is great. TOYOTA should not minus but keep what ther have on safety fixtures. The NAV is hard to see during the daylight, this could be fixed but it would be at the factory when they design, too late for the 13-14 yrs."

Good Value & Reliability

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, well-built, good exterior styling"

Cons: "no backseat USB or power outlet, odd dash layout"

"I owned other crossovers from other manufacturers before I bought my first RAV4. After owning it for a year, this car feels the same as the day I drove it off the lot and I have had absolutely no issues with it. It handled amazingly in the rough winter we had and I felt confident driving it. The cabin is quiet but some of the feature switches are in odd locations and obstructed by the steering wheel. The interior is sturdy and simply designed but I do miss some conveniences like a backseat USB or power outlet and more console storage like I had in my previous crossovers."

I Really want to like this car but...

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Good looking, nice to drive, good performance"

Cons: "Squeaks,, dry creaks and rattles everywhere"

"Like all prior positive reviews, this car has in essence the potential to be a great vehicle for the price. Comfortable, attractive, roomy and fairly good performance and good economy. What makes this vehicle disappointing? The quality of the plastics. The bean counters have squeezed every penny out of the costs of materials and assembly, and as a result the build quality of the interior really suffers. There is a CNET vehicle review article that describes this vehicle perfectly... "Death by a thousand rattles". This car has more squeaks, dry creaks, and rattles coming from everywhere than any other car I have owned. The most annoying come from the dashboard trip clips I have had to disassemble the trim and put vaseline on all the clips. I now have a dry creak coming from the left side of the dash that I can't find, and am going to the dealer for it this week. The tool bag was clanking around in its designed storage location. I have had to move it to the spare tire well rapped in a towel. It is a great vehicle totally spoiled by squeaks, creaks and rattles. Really too bad. I am thinking of getting rid of it as it is starting drive us crazy."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next