2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,136 - $49,613.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 78 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Amazing First New Car

By on Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pros: "resale value, space, great standard features"

"I purchased this car before starting grad school, and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made!!!! I shopped around for 6 months before I came to a decision. They have VASTLY improved the aesthetics of the vehicle (both exterior and interior) compared to the pre 2013 models. I had liked the RAV4 more than any of the cars I had looked at except for the exterior, but by the time I decided what car to buy, they had the revamped 2013s out. I knew this was the best car for me. Other cars I looked at included the Mini Cooper Countryman, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan, Nissan Rogue and Morano, and Subaru Crosstrek. Nissan had a lot of nice interior features, but it just felt cheap in the end; it also had VERY poor visibility through the back window. I didn't really like the CVT of the Crosstrek when I drove it on the highway, nor did I like the body of the car much (it's too station wagon-y for me). Both the VW Tiguan and the Mini Countryman were just lovely, but neither had as much space as the RAV4, and both were way more expensive for the same amount of interior features (heated seats, dual-zone climate control, keyless entry, push to start, etc). They also can't hold a candle to Toyota's resale value. Did I mention the RAV4 has a sport mode button that makes it super fun to drive? That was another concern I had when comparing it to the Mini, but the sport mode took care of that. The Mazda CX5 was also a bit pricier for the same features, and also doesn't have quite as good of a resale value as Toyota. The Honda CRV was probably the main contender, but the body is very unattractive in my opinion. I will be moving around a lot for the next few years because of school, and I am so happy that I'll have this car to rely on. Folding the back seats down gives you SO much space in the back! Perfect for packing up all my things and moving in one trip (most of my furniture is cheap Ikea stuff that can be broken down and rebuilt easily). It's also incredibly comfortable if I'm driving somewhere with friends. I debated for a while if I wanted to get the upgraded speakers/navi option, and I ended up not getting it. I was afraid that I would regret my decision after spending some time listening to music in the car, but I was wrong- it sounds great! The navi would have been nice to have, but we all have navigation on our phones these days, so it's not that big of a deal. I have also had the pleasure of driving this car up and down the mountains of WV in heavy snow, and it has far exceeded my expectations! My previous vehicle was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I didn't think I would be comfortable driving anything but a Jeep in snow after that, but I was very wrong. The RAV4 does a great job as long as you know how to drive in the snow properly. Overall an EXCELLENT PURCHASE, and I am absolutely elated to see the resale value on the vehicle today. I got an excellent deal on the car, so I only lost about $700 between the retail price when it was new and the fair purchase price KBB gave it today. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!"

One Sweet SUV!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, and tons of amenities."

Cons: "Wimpy Horn (only negative I could think of)"

"I'm one of those people that need to research everything to the nth degree before I purchase. I researched and test drove many small SUV's....... For the price, features, ride quality, performance, and overall bang for the buck you can't beat the newly designed 2013 RAV4. I honestly could not be happier with my purchase and absolutely enjoy driving this vehicle. The XLE trim level has the most bang for the buck with many standard features you'd have to either pay more for or purchase the top trim level to get it in other SUV's. Completely happy with purchase.....you can't go wrong with the 2013 RAV4!"

Better than expected

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfortable inter., sport & eco modes"

Cons: "Limited passenger storage."

"The family was looking to down size vehicles and also improve gas mileage. So we looked in the small SUV category at all options- Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda 5, Chevy Equinox, etc. Although all have them had certain features we liked and it was a tough decision, the new RAV4 overall was the best quality, options and new style that fit for us. The value for the options we were looking for led us to the XLE model. We have had the vehicle now for more than a month and it has been even better than expected. The ride and comfort are very good for a small vehicle. There is plenty of leg room even when there are four or five people. Back seats recline which makes the difference so you get a feeling of more space. Gas mileage has been great coming from a large SUV. Overall it has been a very good vehicle."

The 2013 Rav4 XLE is an excellent overall value.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

"I had a mini van and really didn't like the image. The kids are in high school now, so having a back seat with good head room was important. Also important was a big space in back for groceries, easy to park, easy to back up, easy to get in and out of, good gas mileage, easy to drive overall and affordable (no higher than the mid $20,000 range). The RAV4 does all those things very well. I only considered Toyota, Honda and Mazda models because of ther reputations for quality. NOTHING wears off that new car feeling quicker than when there are problems with it. I looked at the Mazda CX5 and thought the car was excellent except the power was not real good for getting on to the freeway and I felt I was sitting kind of low or closed in inside. The CRV is a great car, but nothing really stood out for a wow factor, seeming kind of plain compared to the RAV4. I'm completely happy with my RAV4. Very satisfied. The only things I would caution about are the options that really hike up the price quickly and aren't all that necessary; and secondly, the pressure at the dealer when you're forced to sit there, listening to an extended sales pitch for all the over priced stuff they want to sell, like an alarm, interior protection, paint protection, pre-paid warranty service and on and on. Be wary of the delears out there and choose wisely. The final thing that pushed me over the edge to choose Toyota was the Service Department: how well they treat you for the service, offering free rides home or to work and being open all day on Saturday's. These things are important to me, because I will be paying on my car for the next 48 months."

One of the best in its class

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Blind spot assist, reclinable back seats"

"I bought this car couple of weeks ago. Its a AWD Limited. I live in Denver and I drove it in snow and on the mountains and it did amazingly well. It did not make lot of noise while climbing the mountains.It was smooth compared to other SUV's in its class(I drove rouge and CR-V before). I never touch my key as I have keyless entry option. JBL sound system is awesome. Toyota Entune gives more options(Bing, Pandora, sports, weather..) for you if you have a smart phone. It has enough leg room in the front and back rows. The auto lift tail gate, blind spot and keyless entry are awesome. Recline able rear seats are very comfortable. I like the new sharp looks of the RAV4. If you can compromise on some features like Blind spot assist, Softex imitation leather seats(not real leather), Auto lift tail gate and Key less entry go with XLE and save some $$'s. I am very happy with my Rav4."