2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $48,107 - $49,612.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 81 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Amazing First New Car

By on Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pros: "resale value, space, great standard features"

"I purchased this car before starting grad school, and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made!!!! I shopped around for 6 months before I came to a decision. They have VASTLY improved the aesthetics of the vehicle (both exterior and interior) compared to the pre 2013 models. I had liked the RAV4 more than any of the cars I had looked at except for the exterior, but by the time I decided what car to buy, they had the revamped 2013s out. I knew this was the best car for me. Other cars I looked at included the Mini Cooper Countryman, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan, Nissan Rogue and Morano, and Subaru Crosstrek. Nissan had a lot of nice interior features, but it just felt cheap in the end; it also had VERY poor visibility through the back window. I didn't really like the CVT of the Crosstrek when I drove it on the highway, nor did I like the body of the car much (it's too station wagon-y for me). Both the VW Tiguan and the Mini Countryman were just lovely, but neither had as much space as the RAV4, and both were way more expensive for the same amount of interior features (heated seats, dual-zone climate control, keyless entry, push to start, etc). They also can't hold a candle to Toyota's resale value. Did I mention the RAV4 has a sport mode button that makes it super fun to drive? That was another concern I had when comparing it to the Mini, but the sport mode took care of that. The Mazda CX5 was also a bit pricier for the same features, and also doesn't have quite as good of a resale value as Toyota. The Honda CRV was probably the main contender, but the body is very unattractive in my opinion. I will be moving around a lot for the next few years because of school, and I am so happy that I'll have this car to rely on. Folding the back seats down gives you SO much space in the back! Perfect for packing up all my things and moving in one trip (most of my furniture is cheap Ikea stuff that can be broken down and rebuilt easily). It's also incredibly comfortable if I'm driving somewhere with friends. I debated for a while if I wanted to get the upgraded speakers/navi option, and I ended up not getting it. I was afraid that I would regret my decision after spending some time listening to music in the car, but I was wrong- it sounds great! The navi would have been nice to have, but we all have navigation on our phones these days, so it's not that big of a deal. I have also had the pleasure of driving this car up and down the mountains of WV in heavy snow, and it has far exceeded my expectations! My previous vehicle was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I didn't think I would be comfortable driving anything but a Jeep in snow after that, but I was very wrong. The RAV4 does a great job as long as you know how to drive in the snow properly. Overall an EXCELLENT PURCHASE, and I am absolutely elated to see the resale value on the vehicle today. I got an excellent deal on the car, so I only lost about $700 between the retail price when it was new and the fair purchase price KBB gave it today. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!"

I would buy this again, and recommend to others

By on Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pros: "Great MPG, good sized vehicle, comfortable."

Cons: "Voice recognition system is the worst ever fail!"

"I was looking for an IIHS top safety pick, that could handle I95 highway/rush hour craziness better than the all wheel drive smallest CUV wagon that I had. The problem with that smaller wagon was that it hopped all over the place and wasn't sure footed. So I wanted to get a longer wheelbase, and something a bit larger to compete with the traffic I was encountering. The RAV4 is nice. I like most everything about it. The zero gravity type seats are nice. The Limited version I bought has most everything I wanted, was competitively priced, and comes with a great reputation for quality. I have no build issues to report. I've owned this for a month, and have 2,000 miles on it. Not a single issue that needs service. There are some quirks that others have mentioned. The 18" wheels on the limited version do let you know about bumps in the road, more than the 17" wheels on the LE or XLE models. But to get the things I wanted, I had to get the limited. The voice assistance system is the worst one I have ever used. It is so painfully slow, I'd suggest it is useless. I've actually pulled over and typed in things manually vs. battling with the "voice within the box". Many other features in the car make up for the quirks. The lane departure, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross detection alerts are frankly a necessary upgrade given how people drive today. The standard backup camera is great, no complaints. The part I don't understand is that with the technology package, the rear parking sensors (that beep as you get close to something) are not in that package, and hard to find one with all the tech/safety add ons. Weird. But I digress......the free HD radio weather and HD radio traffic broadcasts are worthy inclusions, they don't add yet more money to a satellite radio company for those things. The JBL sound system upgrade is a total fail, in my mind. Why? You get most of your sound out of the front center speaker; it sounds like I'm back in my 1975 AMC Pacer...wait, even that had stereo speakers. SO you have to adjust the speakers to unbalance and send more sound to the rear. But you never get a real stereo/surround sound experience. I expected more, but the XM radio is great, compared to the Sirius radio I've had in other cars. But I'm adjusting and getting used to this. The AWD lock button (up to 25 mph) is a great thing to have. The layout, comfort, and general ride are great. I like most everything about this car. Another thing that is odd, is that at highway speeds, you'll see the back part of the hood (the part nearest the windshield) appear to be vibrating. Yes, it is as though it is such a thin and big piece of metal, that is appears to be flapping in the wind - and to some extent, it is. Unless it is an optical illusion - but others have seen it too. I'm getting 24 mpg - 28 mpg, depending upon whether suburbia or highway. The AWD hasn't been used yet, but looking forward to that as what I've seen and heard, it is very capable. There is more room in this that you first expect. Coupled with good MPG, expected reliability, and overall a good car, I expect I'll be keeping this longer than I've kept most other cars. And the best part, it is an IIHS top safety pick. That, in of itself, is all I needed to know."

One Sweet SUV!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, and tons of amenities."

Cons: "Wimpy Horn (only negative I could think of)"

"I'm one of those people that need to research everything to the nth degree before I purchase. I researched and test drove many small SUV's....... For the price, features, ride quality, performance, and overall bang for the buck you can't beat the newly designed 2013 RAV4. I honestly could not be happier with my purchase and absolutely enjoy driving this vehicle. The XLE trim level has the most bang for the buck with many standard features you'd have to either pay more for or purchase the top trim level to get it in other SUV's. Completely happy with purchase.....you can't go wrong with the 2013 RAV4!"

Better than expected

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfortable inter., sport & eco modes"

Cons: "Limited passenger storage."

"The family was looking to down size vehicles and also improve gas mileage. So we looked in the small SUV category at all options- Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda 5, Chevy Equinox, etc. Although all have them had certain features we liked and it was a tough decision, the new RAV4 overall was the best quality, options and new style that fit for us. The value for the options we were looking for led us to the XLE model. We have had the vehicle now for more than a month and it has been even better than expected. The ride and comfort are very good for a small vehicle. There is plenty of leg room even when there are four or five people. Back seats recline which makes the difference so you get a feeling of more space. Gas mileage has been great coming from a large SUV. Overall it has been a very good vehicle."

The 2013 Rav4 XLE is an excellent overall value.

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

"I had a mini van and really didn't like the image. The kids are in high school now, so having a back seat with good head room was important. Also important was a big space in back for groceries, easy to park, easy to back up, easy to get in and out of, good gas mileage, easy to drive overall and affordable (no higher than the mid $20,000 range). The RAV4 does all those things very well. I only considered Toyota, Honda and Mazda models because of ther reputations for quality. NOTHING wears off that new car feeling quicker than when there are problems with it. I looked at the Mazda CX5 and thought the car was excellent except the power was not real good for getting on to the freeway and I felt I was sitting kind of low or closed in inside. The CRV is a great car, but nothing really stood out for a wow factor, seeming kind of plain compared to the RAV4. I'm completely happy with my RAV4. Very satisfied. The only things I would caution about are the options that really hike up the price quickly and aren't all that necessary; and secondly, the pressure at the dealer when you're forced to sit there, listening to an extended sales pitch for all the over priced stuff they want to sell, like an alarm, interior protection, paint protection, pre-paid warranty service and on and on. Be wary of the delears out there and choose wisely. The final thing that pushed me over the edge to choose Toyota was the Service Department: how well they treat you for the service, offering free rides home or to work and being open all day on Saturday's. These things are important to me, because I will be paying on my car for the next 48 months."