2011 Toyota RAV4

Based on 674 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Great small SUV but issues developed in time

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reason: Issues

Pros: "roomy for a small SUV-good mileage-practical"

Cons: "Known issues that flare up. Do your research."

"We bought it used and I wanted to love this car but we traded it back in after 1 year of ownership. We started having issues with it within the first month. We bought a 4cyl model so I did not expect a rocket. The power that the 4cyl provide was adequate for what I thought it should have. If I wanted a rocket, I would have opted for the 6 cyl version. The interior was very roomy for 4 people but when adding the 5th, things got tight. Vacation was not fun with 3 kids in the back. Love the storage compartment in the belly of the rear. Rear seat would also slide forward or backward to provide more or less leg room when needed. The rear split seat will even recline to help with sleeping kids. Very practical car that was easy on gas. The automatic transmission did not shift properly from 3 to 4th. We found that if you manually shifted it, it was fine. The transmission never was to the point to where you could not drive with fear. Just annoying but we managed. I had read of issues with the transmission but never persued it since we found a workaround with manually shifting it. The VSC/4WD/ Maintenance required lights came on after a few months. In researching this, alot of owners are having issues as the miles rack up. The cruise control will not work when these warning lights are on. Our car never ran differently, so it was aggravating that the lights would come on and also make the cruise and 4WD inoperable. Some research suggested that it might be a costly CO2 sensor. We just kept driving it. Another known issue is to watch the oil level since the 4cyl and 6 cyl models are known to consume oil. The car never smoked, never was underpowered, nor leaked oil but would need oil added after 1000 miles. Not good when using full Synthetic oils. All in all, a good little car but try to purchase a warranty that will cover some of these known issues so your not left with the cost of these known issues. We traded it back to the Toyota dealer that sold it to us so we did not feel guilty of not telling them of the issues we had. We just disconnected the battery to reset the warning lights until we could trade it in. When doing this, our warning lights would stay off for about 40 miles before coming back on."

Great value. stylish and utilitarian

By on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pros: "Looks, acceleration, storage room, value"

Cons: "MPG"

"With the kids grown and out of the house, its the perfect non-midlife crisis car. Looks good, drives great, and even with the 4-cylinder engine it gets off the line pretty quickly. Won't smoke a BMW M3, but then for $24k original price it performs really well. Tons of room, surprising so; a single mattress fits in the back with the 2nd row seats down. Only negative is the mpg is consistently around 21 with almost all in-town driving. And the way the back opens can be a pain, requries extra room such as when unloading at the airport."

disapointed

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Engine seems reliable"

Cons: "Rest of car problematic"

"Had to change O2 sensor at 38,000 miles ($300)and water pump at 45000 ($430) Toyota wouldn't back their product. Both prices lower than they would have been if I had the work done at a dealership. Some people were charged $1400 to change water pump at a dealership. Was told at dealership I needed new struts and shocks while they were doing a recall. I was told they were shot. Took it to my mechanic and he said they both have 30,000 miles left on them, go figure!"

BEST EVER VEHICLE

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "Suv for the gas of a shoe box"

"Own this Suv since 2/8/10 and it is great.Gas milage is 25-26 mpg city with a/c and 30 mpg hwy truck does not know what the dealer is.Both my wife a I love this suv.We have the 180 hp 4 cyl and has more than ample power getting on hwy."

one nice car

By on Saturday, April 07, 2007

"Well I'm on my second toyota rav 4, and absolutly love this car. I believe that it is one of best cars I have owned"

I really like this car

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "good gas mileage, 4 adults fit for short trips"

Cons: "gray interior shows dirt, problem w/exhaust syste"

"I really like my RAV. Driver and front passenger seats can become uncomfortable on long trips, and my husband is as big guy so he "just fits" so to speak. Happy with gas mileage about 21-22 MPG. It took us ahile to get used to the head rests however. My two adult children can sit comfortably in the back seats. Good storage and we even hauled a 6ft unassembled picnic table in it one time (However driver and front passenger seats were as far front as they could go. One engine problem but it was covered under warrenty. Current problem is a rattling sound under the car, under gear shift. They first told me it was the water pump and replaced it.Now they are telling me it is something with the catalytic converter but they will only replace the whole exhaust system. Also, several recalls needed to be taken care of."

Good value for money

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Roomy & good to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileage & road noise on highways"

"I bought a certified 2011 RAV4 in Jul-12 based on strong recommendation from some of my buddies in the Middle East. I should say I am not disappointed overall. While the SUV handles itself well on the highways, the road noise is on the higher side & gas mileage is less than expected (19mpg city & 22mpg highway). Considering to trade it in for a Mazda CX5 or Acura RDX soon."

Performance with great MPG

By on Thursday, November 19, 2009

"Bought used 08 Rav4 V6 sport. Toyota is the only car maker that has a better warrenty on used cars than new. 7 year 100,000 mile warrenty on a used car. I test drove a number of Honda CRV's that were supposed to be the RAV's competition. The CRV can only come with a 4 cylinder and coming from a very strong v6 that was in my Altima the CRV seemed so underpowered it made me sick. The V6 Rav4 has a 5th gear which lets you get pretty much the same mpg as the 4 cylinders with an insane amount of power. Avg 28 hwy and still feel like i'm driving a sports sedan. The average CRV I looked at was significantly more money that the RAV too. I will say the CRV had a somewhat more stylish interior but the RAV's got it where it counts for less money."

poor quality

By on Thursday, October 08, 2009

"Very poorly built, lost months and months while they tried to work on many many problems, but elec problems continued, dealer service was poor, and last straw was when the STEERING wore out at 55K and needed $800.00 of repairs---Back to Subaru!!!"

I love my Rav4

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"This is the best car I have ever owned! I do alot of whitewater kayaking, camping, rock climbing, etc... We can fit a full size air mattress in the car, put 4 kayaks, 4 paddles on top and 4 people with gear inside all comfortably! It handles amazingly in the snow. You will not regret buying this vehicle!"